Buzzing when powered off seasonic TX1000

Light1984

Gawd
Curious if anyone has experienced something similar. When completely powered down (fastboot disabled) I get a1/2 second long buzz noise every 20 seconds or so. It's not high pitched, so I'm not thinking a coil. It happens whether I'm plugged into the wall or my UPS. Got an email in to seasonic, no word back yet. Can post a video, but not sure where to upload.

Hmm, could be the fan down spinning? I had a similar issue, but it was a case fan. When it was winding down, there was a buzzing. Turned out to be a dry bearing.

Here is a link. The noise is very consistent and occurs at the same interval as shown in the video. It's not the fan I'm 90% sure. Almost like there is a small load on the psu.

Last edited:
So I'm doing an advanced rma with seasonic to get a new unit. Anyone ever heard anything like the video above that could give me some insight into what this might be.

So I'm doing an advanced rma with seasonic to get a new unit. Anyone ever heard anything like the video above that could give me some insight into what this might be.
Sounds like coil whine. I thought it was the fan.

Sounds like coil whine. I thought it was the fan.
I thought cool whine was constant. It can be buzzing at exact intervals for a fraction of a second like that? I wonder what would cause that with the pc shut down? Should I not worry about rma?

if your mobo has usb power while off stuff, for charging phones and whatnot, then maybe.

I thought cool whine was constant. It can be buzzing at exact intervals for a fraction of a second like that? I wonder what would cause that with the pc shut down? Should I not worry about rma?
I had a corsair psu that would make a buzzing sound like yours when I was gaming. While idle it wouldn't do it, but on occasion ( not all the time) it would buzz. If you've already started an RMA, then go for it. Other wise that buzzing is going to anoy the hell out of you, lol.

I had a corsair psu that would make a buzzing sound like yours when I was gaming. While idle it wouldn't do it, but on occasion ( not all the time) it would buzz. If you've already started an RMA, then go for it. Other wise that buzzing is going to anoy the hell out of you, lol.
Yea, since seasonic offers advanced RMA I'll do it, it's just so weird that it's only when the pc is shut down. I don't have anything plugged in to charge. Thanks everyone for your input

Yea, since seasonic offers advanced RMA I'll do it, it's just so weird that it's only when the pc is shut down. I don't have anything plugged in to charge. Thanks everyone for your input
Roger that! Hopefully Seasonic will send you back a new replacement that won't have a buzzing noise ;) Be sure to keep us posted!

Depends on which coil(s) were making noise. Interference from either the PSU or the mains can cause different coils to whine or make other noises.

Back