Headphones for the HTC Vive - Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound USB Gaming Headset

7.1 is a marketing term you should avoid with headphones.

Vive has a built in mic so you just need headphones. I wouldn't buy anything from a company whose primary focus is not audio. Sennheiser has good stuff that is on sale regularly.

You'll want something with a detachable cable so you can replace the default long one with a super short one.

Maybe keep an eye out on massdrop and see if anything has a good deal

I recommend a nice pair of earbuds. Unless you get some light, cheap on-ear phones, regular headphones tend to fall off your head when you move around a lot.

I use a pair of JVC HAF-X1X or something like that. Work very nicely.

Thanks for the tip. The wiring for the headphones is probably the thing I least like about the Vive so I can appreciate a good wireless solution.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd recommend either the Koss Porta Pro's or the Sennheiser PX series for the Vive. Wireless doesn't make sense due to the added weight/hassles that built in batteries bring with them. Hell, the connector pigtail jack for the headphones is right there, so, might as well use it!

I simply bundle up the extra headphone cable with a velcro strap. Ear buds suck unless you have good IEM's that stay in your ear canal and don't pop out easily.

The Koss Porta Pro's are ideal in that they are inexpensive, super light, stay put, and sound great.

Trust me, full size headphones start to drag in longer gaming sessions - you'll want to go ultra light.

Last edited:
I'd recommend either the Koss Porta Pro's or the Sennheiser PX series for the Vive. Wireless doesn't make sense due to the added weight/hassles that built in batteries bring with them. Hell, the connector pigtail jack for the headphones is right there, so, might as well use it!

I simply bundle up the extra headphone cable with a velcro strap. Ear buds suck unless you have good IEM's that stay in your ear canal and don't pop out easily.

The Koss Porta Pro's are ideal in that they are inexpensive, super light, stay put, and sound great.

Trust me, full size headphones start to drag in longer gaming sessions - you'll want to go ultra light.

all about personal preference. the koss solution looks great. i however would trade 100g for wireless. the sennheiser RS wireless series is ridiculously light and meant for tv and movie watching. i game with mine for really long sessions without issue.

admittedly with the vive, i never go more than about 2hrs at a time as my face needs a break from the mask. that always comes before the headphones have ever bothered me. they actually are all lightweight plastic and feel cheap they are so light. luckily they sound and hold up great. i also consider open back a must so i can hear anything else going on if necessary and it helps your ears breathe.

I just use a Bose In Ear setup and it sounds rather good. I like the lightness plus they do not move and no discomfort or heat even after several hours of use.

Back