HDR in VR

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
I've noticed that a few headsets have announced HDR support for 2022. Such as the new PSVR and Panasonic headsets.

I have a Varjo Aero that will be shipping in a couple weeks and no mention of HDR. HDR has been a game changer for my PC gaming and home theater.

I wonder if I should cancel the Aero and wait to see what comes out later this year. Currently have an Index to hold me over.

I've noticed that a few headsets have announced HDR support for 2022. Such as the new PSVR and Panasonic headsets.

I have a Varjo Aero that will be shipping in a couple weeks and no mention of HDR. HDR has been a game changer for my PC gaming and home theater.

I wonder if I should cancel the Aero and wait to see what comes out later this year. Currently have an Index to hold me over.

There's always something better on the horizon, all a matter of how long you can wait.

I would keep the Aero. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy it before anything better comes out and it's way better than the Index.

The Panasonic prototype has very small FOV and who knows what other problems if it ever comes out.
You've got almost the entire year before PSVR2 is supposed to launch, assuming it isn't delayed, hardware/software is as good as they're saying, and you can actually even get it.
Same thing for the Pimax 12k.

If there was something coming out anytime soon better than the Aero we would know about it.
We don't know when the Meta Cambria will come out or the specs on it. We don't know when the next Valve headset will be out or the specs on it, same for whatever Apple is making.

I would keep the Aero. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy it before anything better comes out and it's way better than the Index.

The Panasonic prototype has very small FOV and who knows what other problems if it ever comes out.
You've got almost the entire year before PSVR2 is supposed to launch, assuming it isn't delayed, hardware/software is as good as they're saying, and you can actually even get it.
Same thing for the Pimax 12k.

If there was something coming out anytime soon better than the Aero we would know about it.
We don't know when the Meta Cambria will come out or the specs on it. We don't know when the next Valve headset will be out or the specs on it, same for whatever Apple is making.

Yep, and FYI I just got my shipment notice from Varjo, so they actually hit their release dates (unlike Pimax which is notoriously 6-9 months overly ambitious on their dates).

Ya I'm not sure how those pancake lens headsets will pan out, so I am proceeding with the Aero.

What VR games support HDR?

Games that are both flat screen and VR, like Flight Simulator 2021 should be able to do HDR in VR I am assuming. Refresh Rate + Higher resolution, 2x for two screens, in addition to the higher bitrate for HDR will all come into play in addition of HDR headset screens being made to support. I agree HDR, at least for me, when done right, is better visual improvement then RT has been so far. Now RT and HDR can be very good together if one has the right hardware.

There are issues getting HDR with VR.

Lense and visual system quality will need to be first class because higher brightness will highlight flaws and problems greatly.
More heat will be generated needing better cooling.
These will likely make it take more space and weigh more unless a lot of development is applied, meaning much higher cost and possibly still a worse product in those regards.
Reliability could be compromised too.

It might also mean losing OLED unless they solve the brightness problems.

There are issues getting HDR with VR.

Lense and visual system quality will need to be first class because higher brightness will highlight flaws and problems greatly.
More heat will be generated needing better cooling.
These will likely make it take more space and weigh more unless a lot of development is applied, meaning much higher cost and possibly still a worse product in those regards.
Reliability could be compromised too.

It might also mean losing OLED unless they solve the brightness problems.

It's really just the brightness. Lenses reduce the brightness by a certain percentage, and the biggest factor is the image is strobed to reduce motion blur. So if your strobe is only displaying an image for 2ms in a 4ms frame, your perceived brightness is reduced by 50% by the strobing alone. Then multiply that by the lens reduction.

Back