• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HDD prices rising

has anyone bought anything from this retailer??

Oh yeah, OWC is a huge mac shop, they have been around for years and years and have always done right by me. They also carry a really cool see-through lexan 2.5" drive enclosure I haven't seen anywhere else.
 
Oh yeah, OWC is a huge mac shop, they have been around for years and years and have always done right by me. They also carry a really cool see-through lexan 2.5" drive enclosure I haven't seen anywhere else.

Thanks. Just ordered that Samsung spinpoint 1TB
 
Thanks. Just ordered that Samsung spinpoint 1TB

Awesome! A co-worker and I stumbled upon the site. He placed an order and they sent him confirmation and shipping information 30 minutes after the order was placed. :D
 
2tb Hitachi's are onsale this weekend at my local frys for $97, looks like its time to grab a few while I can.

What model? I've got 3 7200RPM 2TB Hitachi's waiting to go into my ZFS server in a RAIDZ pool... and wouldn't mind adding another as a hotspare (or all 4 as a RAIDZ2). That would let me retire my 3 older 1.5TB "green" drives from my WHS server to the DroboPro I have for backups only...
 
The prices are so high now I'm thinking about selling some of mines :D
But I like my backups of backups (of backups) so I don't really think I will.
 
Just picked up a 2TB Western Digital Elements external at my local Target for $89.99. There's still one left and two 1.5TB's for a little cheaper, but this should hold me for a good while.
 
NewEgg Business currently lists the HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM @ $129 (here) but NewEgg has the exact same drive for $219 (here). The item numbers in the URLs are even identical.

They are limiting to 1 per customer both ends though... for a business that's probably more of an issue than an end user.
 
NewEgg Business currently lists the HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM @ $129 (here) but NewEgg has the exact same drive for $219 (here). The item numbers in the URLs are even identical.

They are limiting to 1 per customer both ends though... for a business that's probably more of an issue than an end user.

That would be a great deal for the company I work for if I could get more than 1 as I'm the lead on a backup solution project which calls for 23 of these drives. We were just ready to order when the price went to the moon and we could no longer order the number we need.
 
This really sucks, I'm trying to build a new rig and I'm not gonna pay twice the normal price for a hard drive.
 
yeah it sucks but your best bet is to buy now, prices are only gonna get worse over the next several months
 
Probably going to be a year to a year and a half before we see any return to the pricing we were used to. And even then I am doubtful.
 
While there is no doubt the prices are up, I can't fathom them going up much more at this same rate. There are plenty of consumers that can wait this out, and there is definitely a price point that will sufficiently lower demand.

If the SSD manufacturers are smart they will take advantage of this to ramp up production, reduce prices, and gain a larger market share.
 
I just picked up a 1.5TB Hitachi 0F12116 H3D15003254S for $50 ($60-$10 coupon) at my local Microcenter. Running the Hitachi Tester on it now. Incidentally it was showing sold out online so if you have a local Microcenter give it a shot.

That being said, most retailers are limiting sales to 1 or 2 per person/per visit.
 
While there is no doubt the prices are up, I can't fathom them going up much more at this same rate. There are plenty of consumers that can wait this out, and there is definitely a price point that will sufficiently lower demand.

The market for drives is from OEM's - Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer, Lenovo, and the enterprise SAN sellers. They will scoop up all the drives then can so that they are not paying 2-4x's the price in the next 2-12 months. Retailers like Newegg don't get first crack at the available product, they get it last.
 
Looks like Newegg's typical milking, there are no internal hard drives with free shipping. They all are $7+ to ship. I'm pretty damn sure that the flood didn't cause that. Assholes.
 
You should see eBay.

I just saw a Buy It Now for 1 TB hard drive for $1100 and another hard drive from Seagate for $570. Other people are milking the low supply now for more money.

This is getting ridiculous. It makes you think twice whether outsourcing components to another country is a good idea. Sure, labor is cheap, but it would be nice if these companies had backup plans like an offsite storage facility or distribution center stocked with the needed components to manufacture the hard drives. Or, even better, an alternate company that can make them in another country.

If I wasn't strapped for cash for the past few months, I would have bought a 1 TB hard drive, but now they're all marked up 100 to 200% depending on where you go. Other places are sold out.

Right now, I'm digging through PriceWatch to find good prices on drives.
 
lmao at ebay. That's hilarious. That's people hoping to get lucky. Uninformed people who have only heard a bit about prices rising will see that and figure it really is the going price right now lol.

I have 28 400GB drives and 28 250GB drives not doing anything. Wonder if I can get a couple hundred bucks per drive lol.
 
It reminds me of the "old days" (and I'm 31) when a 20 MB hard drive was going for $1000-plus.

This time, however, it has more to do with low supplies of hard drive components (i.e.- motors, etc.) than being new technology. A bit of a difference.
 
This reminds me of what happened to RAM prices a few years back when there was the quake that hit Taiwan.

I went and snagged 7 Hitachi 3TB drives for a NAS I've been planning to build from Microcenter/Frys before prices got too crazy this week, but man check out Newegg on this drive: http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16822145561
 
I wonder how much this will delay mass production of 4TB drives and what the pricing for those will look like when they finally are readily available like the 3TB drives were just before this flooding caused all of this craziness...
 
You should see eBay.

I just saw a Buy It Now for 1 TB hard drive for $1100 and another hard drive from Seagate for $570. Other people are milking the low supply now for more money.

This is getting ridiculous. It makes you think twice whether outsourcing components to another country is a good idea. Sure, labor is cheap, but it would be nice if these companies had backup plans like an offsite storage facility or distribution center stocked with the needed components to manufacture the hard drives. Or, even better, an alternate company that can make them in another country.

If I wasn't strapped for cash for the past few months, I would have bought a 1 TB hard drive, but now they're all marked up 100 to 200% depending on where you go. Other places are sold out.

Right now, I'm digging through PriceWatch to find good prices on drives.

This is making me consider swinging around to microcenter to grab a drive to replace my temperamental segate 7200.11 1.5 tb drive......
 
I may bite the bullet and buy a couple of 2tb seagates from bestbuy for $160 including tax. I would never do so under normal circumstances, but I'm not sure I can go 6 more months or longer without more storage.
 
If you don't mind ordering online, they are $99 for 2tb Hitachi's from the link above or $94 in store.
 
I may bite the bullet and buy a couple of 2tb seagates from bestbuy for $160 including tax. I would never do so under normal circumstances, but I'm not sure I can go 6 more months or longer without more storage.

qft, I was looking at those drives too.
 
That sucks. I'm honestly surprised they're still available at a couple of BBs around me, given the gloom-and-doom scenarios I've been reading about.

I'm leaning toward just buying them and then if I have buyer's remorse, I guess I can just sell them here to break even.
 
Man, was just about to make a thread about this problem, went to a retail store here that had Seagate 1TB sata3 drives for $48 a week ago, now went to today and asked for the same 1TB hdd and the price has gone up to $108....the guy over the counter said that expect prices to drop down around halfway next year.

Checked ebay and to my surprise prices has gone up to. :( :(
 
oh wow, I have a friend of mine thinking of building a system. I always quoted him around 50$ for a 1TB internal.

not so much now....

Craig
 
Well just bought a refurbished bad sector free 1TB WD Caviar with 30 days return to base warranty for $49 + $10 postage so all good. Only $5 more than a new 1TB drive. But I can't wait for another 6-8 months for prices to drop back down and what else is funny is that this guy has had 9 of these drives sold just yesterday and halfway today.
 
NewEgg Business currently lists the HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM @ $129 (here) but NewEgg has the exact same drive for $219 (here). The item numbers in the URLs are even identical.

They are limiting to 1 per customer both ends though... for a business that's probably more of an issue than an end user.

omg thank you, ordering one a day for the next 4 days
 
You guys are lucky in the US, here (France) things are even worse. First, there is no big box store that sells components at good prices usually, so now there is even less chance (well, in fact, some of those expensive prices of a few weeks ago do not look so bad now, but still, I won't be paying 100€ or more for a 1TB drive). Hitachi drives have never been really available nor cheap either, so now, they're out of the question. As for eBay, there are crazy buy it now prices too, but even auctions starting low, for used drives, go to at least 50% more than new drives 2 weeks ago.
 
Back
Top