HDD prices rising

What morons to put almost all the hard drive manufacturing in the world in one spot.

All ? Not really. WDC is hit hard, because their major factory is hit, that is 60% of their production. But they are only a smaller factor - NIDEC is the real issue there.

Geez prices jumped through the roof today! 35-45% price increases on all drives....wonder how long this will last?

Kinda sucked.

I priced and carted my next storage build last thursday. I didn't make it in time for Newegg's Noon same day shipping. Went to pull the trigger friday morning. BAMMMM... Limited to 1. Thought it was an error on my side. I even printed out my order and everything. With drives all set. Chatted with CS, thinking I was just stupid or a bug. I mean who limits hard drive purchases to one?!?! LOL

CS confirmed it's limited to one. Refreshed the page and the price jumped a hundred bucks. Double grrrr.

Oh well. I placed my order on amazon and got 2 dozen drives at only a few bucks more then newegg (thursday prices) on friday. I never paid attention to other resellers as neweggs are usually within a few bucks from everyone else. But I like the one day to my door delivery as their warehouse is only a state away.

Amazon has to deal with 3rd parties and upto a week shipping. And it wasn't free shipping. So cost was a little more then (pre-jacked) newegg prices and no free shipping. I already got shipping confirmations and tracking from almost all my amazon drive purchases this morning. Just waiting for last one. Looks like I'll be getting another storage server soon. Just need newegg to get more 4224s in.

6 months - 1 year.

I really hope you are right. They'll realize they'll be able to move it at a higher price point so there's no incentive to lower it. They'll end up creeping down a buck or so every month way after the crisis has been over.

What morons to put almost all the hard drive manufacturing in the world in one spot.

Maybe the same ones who put the entire world's oil supply in the hands of a few traders and the entire global telecommunications infrastructure in the hands of a half dozen monster companies?

I think once the supply chain goes back to normal, brands will go back to competing with each other for lower prices. HDD's ≠ oil.

brands will go back to competing with each other for lower prices. HDD's ≠ oil.

Which brand ?
Seagate (Samsung will be part of them) ?
Or Western Digital (Hitachi will be part of them) ?
Or Toshiba ?

:D

By the way :
Western Digital: The company estimates a two-month production halt and then another four to six months to resume full operations

I lucked out and was able to get 12 x 3TB Hitachi's while they were priced at 109. I needed 2 more the other day and was surprised at the new prices.

External 2TB drives currently cost less at my local electronics store than 2 TB internal drives cost online.

I guess I'll go buy the last of their inventory tomorrow and rip the drives out of the enclosures.

Last edited:
i need to get a 2.5 inch drive >500 gig for my laptop is it really that noticeable going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm or should i save the cash and just get a 5400rpm before the drive prices get stupid as they are up $40 last i checked here...

Yep. My four WD20EARX bought for 75€/piece are now selling at close to 200€/piece.

And prices of 3TB HDDs is getting into "crazy" territory - currently at 315+€

Maybe when Intel release Socket 2011, 6 core CPUs will be cheaper than 3TB HDDs :(

If you're lucky enough to have a MicroCenter nearby I suggest stopping by in the next few days. I just picked up two 3TB Hitachis at the pre-flood price of $125 apiece. These are going for over $200 online everywhere I've looked today.

Their website says limit one per household but the sign at the store said two per person.

Kinda sucked.

I priced and carted my next storage build last thursday. I didn't make it in time for Newegg's Noon same day shipping. Went to pull the trigger friday morning. BAMMMM... Limited to 1. Thought it was an error on my side. I even printed out my order and everything. With drives all set. Chatted with CS, thinking I was just stupid or a bug. I mean who limits hard drive purchases to one?!?! LOL

CS confirmed it's limited to one. Refreshed the page and the price jumped a hundred bucks. Double grrrr.

Oh well. I placed my order on amazon and got 2 dozen drives at only a few bucks more then newegg (thursday prices) on friday. I never paid attention to other resellers as neweggs are usually within a few bucks from everyone else. But I like the one day to my door delivery as their warehouse is only a state away.

Amazon has to deal with 3rd parties and upto a week shipping. And it wasn't free shipping. So cost was a little more then (pre-jacked) newegg prices and no free shipping. I already got shipping confirmations and tracking from almost all my amazon drive purchases this morning. Just waiting for last one. Looks like I'll be getting another storage server soon. Just need newegg to get more 4224s in.

I did an esata drobo last week. Got 5 1 TB WD Blacks with it. Glad I beat this limit. I need to buy 6 for work and this one a day shit is a pain in the ass. I think I will just go to best buy tomorrow and get them there. They won't have a limit in store.

Absolutely. Why should NewEgg & big retailers be the only ones to exploit the floods?

The only people that are bitching about profiteering where the ones one who wish they would have thought of it first.

Good thing I picked up a 1tb drive for office depot for $18 2 weeks ago!
20111012135914809.jpg

I guess I picked a fine time to build a home server.

Was only going to have two drives, but they were going to be 2 Tb+. It was a tinker toy though, so I can wait. I'll see how well it runs off a couple of external USB drives in the interim while I learn to set this thing up.

Hopefully this doesn't effect RMA processing too much. I have a few samsung 1tb f3's to send for repair. Anyone recently sent some in? If so, how long did the whole process take?

Looks like they are sold out at newegg. People are cleaning out! :D

Last edited:
If you're lucky enough to have a MicroCenter nearby I suggest stopping by in the next few days. I just picked up two 3TB Hitachis at the pre-flood price of $125 apiece. These are going for over $200 online everywhere I've looked today.

Their website says limit one per household but the sign at the store said two per person.

I just bought out my local MC stock. 34 drives worth. They told me they only allowed 2 per purchase with the cashier *winking* saying their system considers separate visits, separate. Told me that if I come back "another time" they'll gladly assist me with my "new" purchase.

I planned on picking up only 26 drives. This was for another norco 24 build and 2 replacement spares (in case). All my previous drives had been the samsung 2tb so I didn't have any 3tb spares. I ended up asked them if they had any more on my 26th drive. They checked their computers and said that's it. What you see is what's available. Nothing in the back until they get more in. I figure what the hell and ended up grabbing the last 8 drives. I can put that towards my next build.

I just need newegg (or anyone) to start restocking those 4224s.

I have no intentions of (re)selling any of these drives. I actually use all the storage I end up buying. So this will have to last until the prices falls back down.

Hopefully this doesn't effect RMA processing too much. I have a few samsung 1tb f3's to send for repair. Anyone recently sent some in? If so, how long did the whole process take?

Looks like they are sold out at newegg. People are cleaning out! :D

It seems weird, amazon is running out of stock in many Hitachi and Samsung hdds (i believe other also but i dont track other brands), even at this high prices people are still buying them.

It seems weird, amazon is running out of stock in many Hitachi and Samsung hdds (i believe other also but i dont track other brands), even at this high prices people are still buying them.

Likely because prices are expected to get even higher.

HDD prices are rising, the world is coming to an end !!!

WD 2TB EARS model used to be $80 shipped, now it is $137.85 shipped. That's a whopping $57.85 (or 73%) increase in price

Likely because prices are expected to get even higher.

This is the primary reason why I rushed out to buy now. I'm expecting it to go higher as stock runs run. At best, it'll eventually drop to it's pre-flood price. It's been lower, pre-flood price isn't so bad.

Back