Haswell-E/x99 coming September confirmed

Guess we should expect by (late) next month for leaks of x99 motherboards.

I dunno...seems like click bait more than anything else.

I'm just relaying information, if you're interested in Haswell-E then everything you need to know is provided in the title, the link is there to only identify the source of the information. Unless you can read Chinese it would pointless for you to click on it anyway, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Here is further corroborating information (and more specific) regarding it's release:

BW3lhUQ.png

I wish there was DDR3 X99 motherboards as well, DDR4 is going to be expensive and I don't really want to swap DDR3 for DDR4, they did this with X48 and P45 with motherboards with either DDR2 and DDR3, why not for this one as well?

I'm just relaying information, if you're interested in Haswell-E then everything you need to know is provided in the title, the link is there to only identify the source of the information. Unless you can read Chinese it would pointless for you to click on it anyway, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Here is further corroborating information (and more specific) regarding it's release:

Google Translate (I know...I know). I appreciate you relaying the info, but at this point I'm pretty skeptical with all the delays lately. I'm hopeful for September, but not holding my breath. I'm likely not upgrading until at least next spring anyway, but it would be nice to see them come out by the end of this year so I can see what the real world metric results are to help with my upgrade planning.

I wish there was DDR3 X99 motherboards as well, DDR4 is going to be expensive and I don't really want to swap DDR3 for DDR4, they did this with X48 and P45 with motherboards with either DDR2 and DDR3, why not for this one as well?

Because back then the memory controller was part of the northbridge, so it was up to the motherboard manufacturers to add ddr2 &/or ddr3 support. Haswell-E, like all Core CPUs since Nehalem, has an IMC.

Finally some news on X99!

I've been rocking an ES 6 core while waiting for X79 to come out with an 8 Core CPU.

Looks like it will only happen with X99.

Off course, now 8 core seems so last generation. Now I want a 12 core lol.

BTW, don't need to tell me I don't "need" anything more than x cores for this or that. It is simply for e-peen fun.

Honestly don't think I'll jump on it right in September. 1366 is still "good enough" and DDR4 will likely be expensive initially.

I'll be jumping on it when it launches. My x58 system crapped out so hopefully rumours of September are true, I don't really want to wait 6-8 months for a gaming system.

This is the upgrade I've been waiting for. Still rocking a C2D and DDR2 memory, was really waiting for something new and I think this is it.

This is the upgrade I've been waiting for. Still rocking a C2D and DDR2 memory, was really waiting for something new and I think this is it.

I went from a c2q to at 2500k. When overclocked the 2500k was twice as fast! You would get 4x-6x the performance with h-e.

Finally some news on X99!

I've been rocking an ES 6 core while waiting for X79 to come out with an 8 Core CPU.

Looks like it will only happen with X99.

Off course, now 8 core seems so last generation. Now I want a 12 core lol.

BTW, don't need to tell me I don't "need" anything more than x cores for this or that. It is simply for e-peen fun.

Pray the rumors of an unlocked 18-core Xeon are true. The thought of such a chip makes me weak inside...;)

Most people by now are aware of when Haswell-E/EP will be launched. The only question I need to know the answer to is, "Is the E5-2699 V3 unlocked?"

Pray the rumors of an unlocked 18-core Xeon are true. The thought of such a chip makes me weak inside...;)

DONT. Don't go there! Those kind of rumours is what made me wait for an 8 core that never came on x79.

18 core is beyond dream territory.

Looking forward to a review. It seems its been many years even since anything exciting came out from Intel.

Gimme performance leaps like when I was a kid please :)

DDR4, more cache, more cores, more PCIe lanes, wider ram bus
just about every thing about it is MUCH better

Not to mention if the rumored unlocked 18-core Xeon actually becomes a reality, X99 will underpin a truly monster processor, with its nearly identical brother, the C610, backing up the processor in a 2P configuration.

I'm hoping....and praying that the top Xeon SKUs end up unlocked and end up adding some real excitement to the desktop for the first time in years...;)

Hmm, decisions decisions if this is true. I'm running 1366 as well and have been looking at getting some more RAM for it (currently running 6x4gb modules) for my lab environment, but if this announcement is true I will be very reluctant to throw any more money at the platform.

On the flipside though 1366 is still 'good enough' for the majority of what I'm doing.

Hmm, decisions decisions if this is true. I'm running 1366 as well and have been looking at getting some more RAM for it (currently running 6x4gb modules) for my lab environment, but if this announcement is true I will be very reluctant to throw any more money at the platform.

On the flipside though 1366 is still 'good enough' for the majority of what I'm doing.

I'm really hoping Haswell-E will be "the" upgrade from x58. I don't think I've ever been on one platform for so long (5+ years!?) since the having the option of upgrading to a hexcore on x58 (i7 970 at 4.4GHz). I looked at review from 2600K, but didn't impress much. x79 was tempting, but also looking at benchmarks I held off. I'll probably upgrade to x99 regardless since x58 is just one big hot mess...HOT being the definitive word.

Having the option of 64GB is the tempting portion for VMware. I just hope IPC and overclocking have good results.

DDR4, more cache, more cores, more PCIe lanes, wider ram bus
just about every thing about it is MUCH better

Oh well, nice to know. I don't know why but I have the personality where I want to wait until I read enough messages that it's compatible enough before I'd go for it. I'm still planning to buy either a 4670 or 4690 in a couple of months.

I want faster SATA.

For the majority of us CPU performance is well above where it needs to be for games, and every-day usage and general work. Awesome... yes!

I want faster SATA.

For the majority of us CPU performance is well above where it needs to be for games, and every-day usage and general work. Awesome... yes!

We all want sata 4 5 or whatever

Not to mention if the rumored unlocked 18-core Xeon actually becomes a reality, X99 will underpin a truly monster processor, with its nearly identical brother, the C610, backing up the processor in a 2P configuration.

I'm hoping....and praying that the top Xeon SKUs end up unlocked and end up adding some real excitement to the desktop for the first time in years...;)

Is there a ballpark figure (or a guess) on what a 18 core Xeon CPU would cost for a consumer desktop motherboard?

Is there a ballpark figure (or a guess) on what a 18 core Xeon CPU would cost for a consumer desktop motherboard?

What I'm also wondering --

How in the world are 18-cores going to be decently utilized in the near future without a hefty shift in software development, whether program-specific or via OS thread-scheduling?

12-core Xeons currently weigh in at over $2000

Anything with 15+ cores will probably be in the $5000+ range for the CPU, if I had to guess.

What I'm also wondering --

How in the world are 18-cores going to be decently utilized in the near future without a hefty shift in software development, whether program-specific or via OS thread-scheduling?

This is why clock speed continues to be more important than number of cores for the vast majority of consumers and enthusiasts.

There are plenty of server and workstation applications that will readily scale to multiple threads. Depending on the task you could still become I/O limited before maxing out all cores, though.

I frequently do large cross-compile builds that would greatly benefit from having a lot of cores.

But for enthusiasts doing primarily gaming with only the occasional highly parallel task, there's no benefit to going with a ridiculous number of cores over a higher-clocked 4/6 core CPU.

If you want an 18-core unlocked CPU, you will be lucky to O/C that thing by 200MHz. The 8-core CPU coming up from Intel in September will be what a 3.1GHZ roughly...

I'm really hoping Haswell-E will be "the" upgrade from x58. I don't think I've ever been on one platform for so long (5+ years!?) since the having the option of upgrading to a hexcore on x58 (i7 970 at 4.4GHz). I looked at review from 2600K, but didn't impress much. x79 was tempting, but also looking at benchmarks I held off. I'll probably upgrade to x99 regardless since x58 is just one big hot mess...HOT being the definitive word.

Having the option of 64GB is the tempting portion for VMware. I just hope IPC and overclocking have good results.

I'm in the exact same boat with identical hardware. I've been on my x58/i7-970(4.8ghz air with a VenomousX) system longer than any PC I've owned in the past 20 years. I was getting a little concerned as over the past few weeks I've started to get random power loss that I haven't been able to diagnose as any of the hardware but the board, and there was no true relief in sight, so I'm holding tight to finally retire the x58 combo for something that I feel is a legitimate upgrade. I've been running SATA-III drives forever on the x58 SATA-II controllers, and it's always been a little annoying to feel like I overpaid for IOPS I can't use.

x99 with 32GB DDR4 and a few PCI-E SSD's looks like my next step up, and it will be glorious.

What kind of gaming performance increase is expected with their next generation CPUs?

Thinking it over, if I go for this (very likely I will), I'm looking at the following:

• $399 for Core i7 5820K (6 cores, 130W) - estimated based on current -E series pricing; doubtful Intel will price it closer to Core i7 4790K at $340.
  • $350 for two 8GB DDR4 sticks (if 16GB DDR4 stick is $350 converted from the Japanese Yen pricing)
  • $300 for a mid-range X99 board
Total: $1049 for being an early DDR4 adopter

After that, it is a wait-and-see approach at what AMD and Nvidia offer at the end of 2014 or Q1 2015 for their upcoming graphics card line-up.

This is why clock speed continues to be more important than number of cores for the vast majority of consumers and enthusiasts.

There are plenty of server and workstation applications that will readily scale to multiple threads. Depending on the task you could still become I/O limited before maxing out all cores, though.

I frequently do large cross-compile builds that would greatly benefit from having a lot of cores.

But for enthusiasts doing primarily gaming with only the occasional highly parallel task, there's no benefit to going with a ridiculous number of cores over a higher-clocked 4/6 core CPU.

Occasional parallel task? It's running multiple tasks (with many of them multithreaded themselves) that will see the greatest benefit. An unlocked 18-core CPU will allow the benefit of many cores without the penalty in single threaded performance that comes with a typical locked high core count (HCC) CPU that's clocked very low to meet a certain TDP envelope. Also, a clock speed bump ensures that even faster performance in a multithreaded environment is obtained. For the people who fit this usage scenario, an unlocked 18-core will be a godsend and in a dual CPU configuration, they will raise performance to new heights never before seen.

Based on early postings from European retailers, the 18-core Xeon will sell for roughly $4K USD.

If you want an 18-core unlocked CPU, you will be lucky to O/C that thing by 200MHz. The 8-core CPU coming up from Intel in September will be what a 3.1GHZ roughly...

Highly unlikely. The current high core count chips are clocked very low, not because of an inability to clock at a faster speed, but to stay within a specific TDP envelope. The extraordinarily vast majority of cores today on an unlocked CPU will support at least 4GHz in clock speed. The only issue with an 18-core unlocked CPU is the fact that the heat it kicks out will increase much faster per MHz than a CPU with fewer cores. If this additional heat load is addressed with better cooling, the chip should still clock reasonably well, probably not to the level of a 6-core, but not far from it.

Based on early postings from European retailers, the 18-core Xeon will sell for roughly $4K USD.

http://ark.intel.com/pt-br/products/family/78584/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-v2-Family#@Server

looking at current E7 v2 prices, TDPs and speeds, I highly doubt that the 18 core Xeon would sell for a penny less than $6841, the price Intel asks today for top shelf SKUs.

Looking at TDPs and clocks on that list, it quickly becomes clear that power draw raises very quickly for measly clock bumps. an E7 8880L v2 has 15 cores @ 2.20GHz fitting a 105w TDP, but an E7 8890 v2 at 2.8GHz requires a TDP of 155w. Even if one makes the dubious assumption that such chip would scale power draw linearly, the practical limit of 250w for the CPU would limit clock bumps at 4GHz, and that on the most optimistic scenario.

Multi cores are exponentially harder do increase clock. an 18 core would most certainly hit a wall closer to the aforementioned 3.1GHz mark than the dreamed 4GHz for 24x7 operations on realistic builds.

Back