Harmony+PS3 owners rejoice

I've got a Harmony One, not sure if it's BT compatible but does the PS3 not have an IR port? Only a BT remote will work with it?

That's quite a good idea. :)

Though given the cost of these things anyway, frankly I'm amazed they don't have models which have bluetooth.

been using my logitech remote to control my xbox 360 for about a year now.......but it would be nice if they had a BT version for it so it could emulate a pad.

sweetass. I hate that gd PS3 remote, stupid odd man out bluetooth remote.

Well, the Wii doesn't have IR either, I guess just BT because my Harmony One won't turn it on. I guess BT will be in future models of the Harmony.

Well, the Wii doesn't have IR either, I guess just BT because my Harmony One won't turn it on. I guess BT will be in future models of the Harmony.

True.. But alot of people don't use the Wii for a media center. Wonder when these plan to come out.

Either PS3 needs IR, which is not going to happen, or a third party accessory manufacturer, IE Logitech, should produce a multi-function remote that includes bluetooth connectivity.

I personally think that Logitech has fumbled the ball at third and goal. This little dongle thing is a field goal attempt.

If there was more bluetooth enabled equipment in home entertainment centers, Logitech would already have something available. More PS3 sales would help define that need but stubborn Sony can't pencil in a price drop for whatever reason.

As it stands, there's a real opening for some other company to release a slick remote for media enthusiasts who also happen to have a PS3.

You didn't make a point. All you said was PS3 doesn't need one. When clearly it does.

*facepalm*
The PS3 was made to UTILIZE BLUETOOTH- which it does in the controller and remotes Sony and some other manufacturers have put out. Bluetooth is superior to IR, which is why they used it and put it in the PS3. They didn't allow PS3 games to be put on DVDs, even if they fit, yet I don't see you bitching about that?

You didn't make a point. All you said was PS3 doesn't need one. When clearly it does.

It needs a pop dispenser, wheels, and an auto-fellatio device, but we just have to deal with what we got. :)

I dont see why the PS3 would need IR. For remotes? meh, their are bt remotes.

The PS3 was made to UTILIZE BLUETOOTH- which it does in the controller and remotes Sony and some other manufacturers have put out. Bluetooth is superior to IR, which is why they used it and put it in the PS3. They didn't allow PS3 games to be put on DVDs, even if they fit, yet I don't see you bitching about that?

Blu Ray drives play DVDs so that argument isn't even valid. And sometimes I do wish they were DVDs so we didnt have to load half the game onto our hard drive cause SUPERIOR BLURAY cant keep up in speeds with DVD Drives. But anyways were not talking about dvd or bluray. Dont know why you changed the subject. And you haven't made a point at all. All you have said is it has bluetooth and was made for it. That's kind of a no-brainer. Our point is it should have IR cause bluetooth is overkill for remotes. The problem is sony tries to force things on people. They have been doing it for years. At least Logitech is here to help us. I hope there not too expensive.

At least Logitech is here to help us.

Have you seen logicraps prices? $250 crapboards, $200 crap headphones, $600 remotes, etc.

logitech is here to make as much possible money off us as they can. I have been using logitch devices for years, and the quality of their products is greatly overrated; and if you want decent quality, you have to pay through the corn hole for it.

BT will be how things go. the fact devices still use IR is retarded.

Sony gives a BT controller/remote with every system it sells, and offers an official one for an affordable price.

Saying BT is overkill for remotes has no more argumentative value then saying the PS3 was made for BT.

Same as saying the 360 was trying to force wireless on us with their headset not using BT like cellphone devices.

im not vested in this argument either way. BT is awesome and since I run my PS3 to two rooms, BT not needing LOS is fantastic for me.

IR on the PS3, cool, the more the better, but i dont see how that could be spun into a sony is evil discussion.

*facepalm*
You're missing the point, which is that adding an IR port would have cost them like 10 cents a console, max. It's not like they couldn't have _both_. And if they did have IR, no dongles or other workarounds would be needed. I mean, according to your line of thinking, the PS3 shouldn't play DVDs and CDs because SACDs and BR-D are superior. That's dumb logic.

The price of the Logitech solution is pretty much the open question here, IMHO. Other people have put out similar IR-to-BT converters, but they're like a hundred bucks. Something in the $30-$50 range would be phenomenal, IMHO.

I'd like to see the reverse of this so that my diNovo mini might work with IR. :p

Probably not possible, but still.

Have you seen logicraps prices? $250 crapboards, $200 crap headphones, $600 remotes, etc.

logitech is here to make as much possible money off us as they can. I have been using logitch devices for years, and the quality of their products is greatly overrated; and if you want decent quality, you have to pay through the corn hole for it.

BT will be how things go. the fact devices still use IR is retarded.

Sony gives a BT controller/remote with every system it sells, and offers an official one for an affordable price.

Saying BT is overkill for remotes has no more argumentative value then saying the PS3 was made for BT.

Same as saying the 360 was trying to force wireless on us with their headset not using BT like cellphone devices.

im not vested in this argument either way. BT is awesome and since I run my PS3 to two rooms, BT not needing LOS is fantastic for me.

IR on the PS3, cool, the more the better, but i dont see how that could be spun into a sony is evil discussion.

I understand what you're saying. BT is better not denying it. But whats better here. Spend another 100$ to 200$ for a new remote that does bluetooth. and lose IR for my dvd player or WD TV.. or spend maybe 60$ more max for a remote that does both. Like i have said I hope its not expensive. If its over 50$ i probably wont buy it. Just cause you have a better short range wireless tech doesn't mean its better for everything. Bluetooth for remotes is overkill. Works ok on the Wii cause it needs faster and more accurate signals. And 360 still uses IR and I dont even notice a difference between my 360 controller and ps3 controller in terms of performance.

Bluetooth for remotes is overkill.
Despite my slamming of Sony for not including IR, I don't know if I agree. In a perfect world, I would actually prefer Bluetooth over IR for doing remote control - no line of sight issues. Some remotes, like the Harmony 890, actually include support for doing RF stuff. We don't live in a perfect world, though, and companies should design for the market they're going after - and in this case, that market is still broadly using IR.

Works ok on the Wii cause it needs faster and more accurate signals.
I frequently find myself wishing for basic IR support on the Wii. I usually find myself playing games on it with a Wavebird, and don't really see why I need to haul out a Wiimote just to start it up.

And 360 still uses IR and I dont even notice a difference between my 360 controller and ps3 controller in terms of performance.
The 360 controllers use proprietary RF, not IR. Believe me, you'd be pissed if they were using IR, as you'd have to keep them pointed at the 360's somewhat narrow-angle IR port.

Trying to decide now if I want to shelf my 880 and go with the Harmony One, anybody hear have any experience with the One?

Dell has it for $199. on sale which is 50 bucks cheaper than I paid for my 880.

Thank God. I just hope its not over 30$

I'm gonna guess $49.99...at least.

Trying to decide now if I want to shelf my 880 and go with the Harmony One, anybody hear have any experience with the One?

Dell has it for $199. on sale which is 50 bucks cheaper than I paid for my 880.

Why? The only thing the 880 doesn't have is the touchscreen.

Anyone have an 880 who's number pad doesn't suck BIG time? Maybe I should RMA mine. The buttons are so spongy, and even worse sometimes you feel the tactile response but the button goes unpressed. The way the buttons float on the membrane seems to be terrible. Or, you can easily start on top of one button and actually end up pressing the other one by "carryover pressure." I don't know how I could better describe it. I think the design is pretty shitty myself, but maybe mine is particularly bad/loose.

Sorry if it seems off toopic but it changes my interest level somewhat. This looks like something I would buy if it weren't for my problems. It's great at turning everything on and off, and anywhere there isn't a sea of buttons like the numpad is more bearable.

Correct.
There is no reason to have an IR port.

<double face palm>

Well, the Wii doesn't have IR either,.

The Wii can't play DVDs :confused:

Either PS3 needs IR, which is not going to happen, or a third party accessory manufacturer, IE Logitech, should produce a multi-function remote that includes bluetooth connectivity.

They probably will. But for the millions of existing Harmony owners out there, why not a solution, since Sony dropped the ball?

I personally think that Logitech has fumbled the ball at third and goal. This little dongle thing is a field goal attempt.

Nah...Microsoft was able to get Wi-Fi in along with I/R, for less.

*facepalm*

<triple face palm>

I have a one and love it. Does the 880 come with a charging dock? Besides the touchscreen, the charging dock is one of my favorite features.

This thread is serious business as sarcasm has been thrown right out he window.... I feel sorry for Guitarrasdeamor because I laughed at his post and the fact it went over everyone's head is epic.

Back