Happy Birthday, Linux!

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While some would argue that October 5, 1991 is the actual birthday of Linux (that was when prototype code first dropped), today marks the anniversary of when Linus Torvalds first revealed he was working on a modest “hobby” OS that would go on to “revolutionize the world.” To celebrate, OMG! Ubuntu! has rounded up 27 interesting facts about Linux, which includes Steve Jobs offering Linus Torvalds a job in 2000 on the condition he stopped working on Linux (thankfully, he declined).

Linux is now the dominant OS in cloud, in IoT, and on mobile. And while it might not have “won” the desktop war there’s no denying that its collaborative, freely available nature has had a major influence on its competitors. The beating heart of the modern world; an omnipresent force pervading daily digital life. Linux is everywhere — from powering high-speed trains and and high-end supercomputers to smartphones, space faring robots, and super-secure routers.

Linux is to Windows what Windows is to OSX. That's why Windows wins. Customize-ability and configurablity is good, too much isn't. All 3 have their places though and use-scenarious or groups.

DlZnxpkVsAEtorQ.jpg
DRA7N9[\img]

One of the reasons linux has has made so many in roads is because of the insanity of microsoft licensing .

people would rather jump through the hoops of configuring and maintaining a linux based server via a ssh terminal and its infrastructure. over trying to figure out what the difference is between a hal and a cal is .

when people decide they would rather dig a ditch by hand than use your tractor, that should tell you that maybe your marketing is wrong.

unfortunately so many invested into microsoft in the late 80s through the 2000's that microsoft had lil reason to change.

maybe just maybe this will wake them up .... i doubt it . pretty sure they will pull an EA and say that the industry has moved to raspberry pi and no longer needs a server class operating system.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to know stuff about gaming on Linux, do let me know. I'll help you out ;)

I'm working on a YT series about Gaming on Linux : https://hardforum.com/threads/bloodyiron-on-linux-gaming-youtube.1964861/

I've personally been using, and learning, Linux for over 15 years now, and it's actually helping my career quite a lot now. If you're curious about a very nice starting point for getting into Linux, I _HIGHLY_ recommend Ubuntu Desktop. It's the tits!

If anyone wants to know stuff about gaming on Linux, do let me know. I'll help you out ;)

I'm working on a YT series about Gaming on Linux : https://hardforum.com/threads/bloodyiron-on-linux-gaming-youtube.1964861/

I've personally been using, and learning, Linux for over 15 years now, and it's actually helping my career quite a lot now. If you're curious about a very nice starting point for getting into Linux, I _HIGHLY_ recommend Ubuntu Desktop. It's the tits!

That it is, I've dabbled in Linux since the early 90's, I've wandered away and then started in it fresh, and have been constantly amazed at how solid every release has been with Ubuntu, especially compared to some of the more exotic distro's. It just works, I am using 18.04 LTS on a couple of machines now, after taking a break for several years, 3rd party drivers are a lot more available than they were last time I dabbled, I have about a third of my Steam library available to use, and Windows is going towards a subscription based model more every year. My next gaming rig build may be Ubuntu only... time will tell.

One of the reasons linux has has made so many in roads is because of the insanity of microsoft licensing .

I do not agree. I think the fact that is was modular from the start is why it is used in some many different types of equipment. Microsoft Windows desktop and server has it's strengths but, until very recently, modularity was not one of them.

Saw a story earlier in the week about Steam incorporating a new app that will allow even more Windows games to run in Linux now. List was around 2 dozen but evidently there was an option to run games not on the list as well. Most people were excited over various Doom's.

Also, I remember using what I believe was slackware back in the 90's, it was quite a lot of fun. Although, I am the same as I was back then today, I love messing around and learning about all these things. (Examples: Amiga, OS/2 Warp, BeOS, Windows 3.1, Window 95, Windows 98, various versions of Linux and that was just in the mid to late 90's)

Saw a story earlier in the week about Steam incorporating a new app that will allow even more Windows games to run in Linux now. List was around 2 dozen but evidently there was an option to run games not on the list as well. Most people were excited over various Doom's.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/0...adds_tools_for_windows_to_linux_compatibility

Great news. Just tried it. Some success.

I'm an old-timey Linux user, but never my main system. Things might be changing. :)

The progress made over the last decade has been amazing. The year is coming, even for gamers

25 years here working with Linux(and still day to day), yet I still laugh at people who think this.

I've played around with Slackware, Ubuntu, and Mint way back. Kinda wish I kept up with it, or at least kept a partition of Linux for messing around with writing code.

Highly considering jumping back in. Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth, 8 will get there eventually, and 10 is just frustrating. Whatever Windows happens after 10 will probably make WinME look usable.

After the continuous shit show without rewards that Win10 is, I feel myself surely being shoved in Linux's direction.
In a few more years the "game" situation should be figured out. Go Steam!
Anyways I've had it. I put Win7 on all machines that don't need Win10.
Go Linux go. I hope to know you soon. \

Linux the best OS in the world today... and very possibly the only OS in the world today that will still be kicking in 50 years.

Its been a fast moving 27 years... and the pace of development picks up every year. Its the only OS you can get legit excited about every aspect, from CPU and drive schedulers, file systems, init systems, desktop environments, video subsystems, Framework translation layers (go valve go), security features, programming tools, package managers, update systems, kernel performance tweaks ect ect ect. So many cool things always on the go.

People like to hold out silly benchmarks for Linux comparing it to windows all the time. Silly year of talk... and comparing usage numbers as if consumer device penetration is some holy grail metric. Linux effects everyones life at this point... its used by our banks, our favorite websites, our phones, our streaming boxes, our cars, tablets, cloud services, streaming entertainment providers, and some of us even use it on our desktops. :p

Here's to a long always forward moving Linux future.

I recall my first experience with Linux. I bought a pack of Slackware CD's at a computer show. I was a computer science student taking the class data structures at the time.
It used to be a total pain in the ass to get things working with Linux - Gnome desktop's and the like? Didn't exist yet.
I had to recompile the kernel to work with my video card. I also remember being nervous getting X11 running - the docs talked about how if things went wrong, it could fry your monitor. When I first launched it, I had my hand on the power button in case my monitor made any weird noises. It worked and everything was fine - except my school used Borland C++. GCC and Borland were not totally compatible with each other. I was actually late on an assignment as I spent too much time getting Linux running and struggled with the C++ compiler on Linux. (To be fair, I was still learning C++ and where is Borland today?)
Still, good times back then. When I compare a modern distro like Ubuntu to what I was using back then, light years ahead. (I think I have a total of 5 VM's running Linux in my house now - it's my go to server OS.)

People will pay for unreviewed cards that are not in stock, they will pre-order broken games and never learn from the previous, people think a $40 item sold for 50% off the same identical item for $20 is a better deal.

People are gullible, Linux needs to learn marketing.

Linux is like that guy that keeps saying he's going to win it big one day. But keeps getting bad hands. At least the loan sharks haven't shattered his kneecaps yet.
Ha ha, well to be fair, I think with Steamplay Linux might actually see a bit of an uptick in the future, but yeah, there's a long way between "some measurable improvement" v. "winning big."

Linux is like that guy that keeps saying he's going to win it big one day. But keeps getting bad hands. At least the loan sharks haven't shattered his kneecaps yet.

Totally what I meant. Good job.

Back