Halo Infinite

Looks a good bit better. Might not be the best looking game ever, but good enough and a big improvement. I do believe they tried to go for a clean look in the original build but the more realistic dirty look does look better.

Looks a good bit better. Might not be the best looking game ever, but good enough and a big improvement. I do believe they tried to go for a clean look in the original build but the more realistic dirty look does look better.
You can still tell it's being held back due to the cross-gen support. I hope we'll start to see an end to that now that we're a year on from the 9th gen console release.

Ikr? How is there so much hype for this. It got trashed when they showed it a year ago. It doesn't look much better now. Halo was always a over hyped series to me.

There are three types of halo people.

1. played halo when if first released and love it both for nostalgia and the fact that it revolutionized fps' on consoles. We (my group) have also generally moved on because Halo stopped evolving after 3 and other games took up the torch.

2. people who played halo originally and became obsessed with it and still think its the best thing ever.

3. people who played halo late and thus never understood how it revolutionized fps gameplay (because every game they played copied halo in some way, most commonly the control scheme). They cannot understand why Halo was important as they likely didn't play many game pre-2001.

1. played halo when if first released and love it both for nostalgia and the fact that it revolutionized fps' on consoles. We (my group) have also generally moved on because Halo stopped evolving after 3 and other games took up the torch.

2. people who played halo originally and became obsessed with it and still think its the best thing ever.

3. people who played halo late and thus never understood how it revolutionized fps gameplay (because every game they played copied halo in some way, most commonly the control scheme). They cannot understand why Halo was important as they likely didn't play many game pre-2001.
4. People who played the game when it first came out and didn't like it.

I played it when it first came out in 2001 and never thought it was anything special. I enjoyed the novels way more than I ever enjoyed the games. I only ever suffered through the games due to how much I liked the story. Halo 3's campaign was pretty much the only one I ever enjoyed. Goldeneye did more to revolutionize FPS on console than Halo ever did.

I guess I'd be one of these. It's the title that had me buy a Xbox on launch day and I absolutely loved the original Halo. Beat the campaign on Legendary and had a great time with it. By Halo 2 my interest in the series waned, I still played through the campaign (and Halo 3's campaign) but I didn't get involved with the multiplayer community at all. I remember enjoying Halo: Reach, but looking back at the campaign, besides its ending, it was a forgettable experience.

Oh, and never got through more than a couple of levels on Halo 4 (and Halo 5 remains unplayed).

But, yeah, hoping Halo: Infinity gives me a bit of that original games feeling (hoping for more or less a fresh slate on the series story, ala God of War 2018) and with it launching on PC day one, maybe I'll even get into its multiplayer.

4. People who played the game when it first came out and didn't like it.

I played it when it first came out in 2001 and never thought it was anything special. I enjoyed the novels way more than I ever enjoyed the games. I only ever suffered through the games due to how much I liked the story. Halo 3's campaign was pretty much the only one I ever enjoyed. Goldeneye did more to revolutionize FPS on console than Halo ever did.
I'd disagree with the last line, there is/are zero aspects unique to Goldeneye in any console (or PC) FPS mainly thanks to the odd controller that the N64 had. I like Goldeneye alot, but its a dead end of the FPS genre.

You still find systems Halo pioneered or brought to mainstream in fps titles today, primarily the button layout which is (imo) the best button layout designed for controllers.

I get it, there are halo haters, this is nerddom, there is always someone that hates the thing, but remove the bias or personal 'i didn't like it' and the lasting impact from certain franchises is undeniable. Personally I hate COD, always have, but I cannot deny its massive impact on gaming and FPS's as a whole. Nerds inability to remove the personal from the equation always amuses me.

Last edited:
I guess I'm 5) people who were excited for the game but got pissed off when they cancelled it for PC/Mac and made it Xbox exclusive, and then stopped caring about it.
No your the rare white rabbit that even knows about that. Did you also know it was originally an RTS, then TPS?

In my local I think my chem proff and I where the only ones that actually knew about Halo before it moved to xbox.

No your the rare white rabbit that even knows about that. Did you also know it was originally an RTS, then TPS?

In my local I think my chem proff and I where the only ones that actually knew about Halo before it moved to xbox.

There was a lot of hype over the original E3 2000 trailer and a lot of sad PC gamers including me, when it switched to Xbox. But it sold a lot of Xboxes and had an enormous impact on console gaming.

I did multiple PC LANs every week with friends and after Halo came out we started doing Xbox LANs and got a lot of people into gaming that didn't have PCs or consoles, but since you can play 4 per Xbox that wasn't a problem.

Even if it was bigger than Half-life was on PC it wouldn't have had as big an impact on PC as it did for gaming in general by becoming an Xbox exclusive.

There was a lot of hype over the original E3 2000 trailer and a lot of sad PC gamers including me, when it switched to Xbox. But it sold a lot of Xboxes and had an enormous impact on console gaming.

I did multiple PC LANs every week with friends and after Halo came out we started doing Xbox LANs and got a lot of people into gaming that didn't have PCs or consoles, but since you can play 4 per Xbox that wasn't a problem.

Even if it was bigger than Half-life was on PC it wouldn't have had as big an impact on PC as it did for gaming in general by becoming an Xbox exclusive.

They had both money and vision problems at Bungie, they wouldn't have been able to complete and launch on pc/apple, Microsoft saved the project and they finalized on an fps due to console controller limitations.

IIRC the story was basically made in a matter of months to make launch.

a good retelling I found a while back.

Last edited:

True, but I wasn't buying an Xbox just for it. Other than maybe the physics, I am not sure it did much over other PC titles at the time, ultimately.

My experience with it is playing Halo 1 and 2 a bit in college dorms, but not much beyond that.

Halo Infinite Campaign Re-Reveal Analysis: A Big Improvement Over Last Year's Showing?

I have to say it is looking fairly fun. Never been a big Halo fan but this one looks a bit more interesting. But still wondering if I'll give it a go without playing Halo 5. I don't like skipping story based games, unless this one somehow detached itself entirely from the previous story arch.

I tried to download from steam on several different servers and it was only going about 80 KB/s. It was going to take days. Is steam getting hit hard or something? I have gigabit fiber...
I gave up and decided to download from the MS store and the download is almost finished.

I tried to download from steam on several different servers and it was only going about 80 KB/s. It was going to take days. Is steam getting hit hard or something? I have gigabit fiber...
I gave up and decided to download from the MS store and the download is almost finished.
Check which server farm you're connected to in Steam. May want to try manually connecting to a different one if you're getting slow speeds from your usual one. I usually get connected to Miami, but find I sometimes get faster speed through Atlanta or Dallas.

Check which server farm you're connected to in Steam. May want to try manually connecting to a different one if you're getting slow speeds from your usual one. I usually get connected to Miami, but find I sometimes get faster speed through Atlanta or Dallas.

I had tried Minneapolis and Chicago which were both 80 KB/s. I switched to Dallas now for updates to other games and it went 7 MB/s. But I already finished Halo on the MS Store basically maxing out my HDD speed at 100s of MB/s. When I've put games on my SSDs in the past MS Store and basically every other store but Steam has maxed out my gigabit.
Steam's downloads are kinda pathetic. And don't give me that BS about it being limited by your CPU. I have a 9900k with all cores 5+ Ghz. Steam decided compress their downloads to hell to save a fraction of a penny on bandwidth costs.
If it takes me 10X (or in this case 1000X if I don't dick around with server selection) longer to download install using Steam, fuck that! I'll use something else. I pay for gigabit fiber because I want to be able to play in minutes or even seconds.

Hopefully Halo doesn't have issues when I play later like nearly every MS Store game I've tried has. MS Store sucks balls and is always my last choice, but fuck Steam's slow ass downloads.

I had tried Minneapolis and Chicago which were both 80 KB/s. I switched to Dallas now for updates to other games and it went 7 MB/s. But I already finished Halo on the MS Store basically maxing out my HDD speed at 100s of MB/s. When I've put games on my SSDs in the past MS Store and basically every other store but Steam has maxed out my gigabit.
Steam's downloads are kinda pathetic. And don't give me that BS about it being limited by your CPU. I have a 9900k with all cores 5+ Ghz. Steam decided compress their downloads to hell to save a fraction of a penny on bandwidth costs.
If it takes me 10X (or in this case 1000X if I don't dick around with server selection) longer to download install using Steam, fuck that! I'll use something else. I pay for gigabit fiber because I want to be able to play in minutes or even seconds.

Hopefully Halo doesn't have issues when I play later like nearly every MS Store game I've tried has. MS Store sucks balls and is always my last choice, but fuck Steam's slow ass downloads.
Steam always does great with my gigabit. I'm about to test it out with the halo download in about 35 minutes. I'll report back.
Ok I'm back. 70MB/s at the moment. I'm not complaining lol
Ok, Back again. It's done and peaked at 92.8 MB/s
All in all about 10 min?

Last edited:

Not impressed at all same weapons same environment. The sounds are the only thing that stood out. Whatever Bungie did with the series stayed with Destiny.

Well, I got it downloaded and played a few matches. Had to adjust the sensitivity up a bit. Graphics are at medium 54-60 fps(1440, gtx 1080, 3600). got it locked at 60. vsync off because of Gsync. Pretty good i guess. It's halo. But i'll need another month to give it a review or score.

And after all these years they are still using the same shitty matchmaking and playlist system, and what's worse they have not incorporated a ping counter in the score board! What fucking year is this for christ sake, there are enough console games with server browsers that they no longer have that as an excuse not to include one.

Reading that you only get XP progression if you complete Battle Pass challenges in the multiplayer. Is that true?

Steam always does great with my gigabit. I'm about to test it out with the halo download in about 35 minutes. I'll report back.
Ok I'm back. 70MB/s at the moment. I'm not complaining lol
Ok, Back again. It's done and peaked at 92.8 MB/s
All in all about 10 min?
What server do you have selected?

I figured out how to turn on the ping counter, so at least that's an improvement, but the matchmaking is still my biggest gripe with MP. If you are going to insist on using this inferior gateway to accessing online play then Overwatch's model should be the gold standard....i.e. allow players to join servers mid-match and don't fucking kick everyone to the lobby to start the matchmaking process all over again after a round ends, just load into the next damn round with the existing players! For what its worth I have been having a good time in MP, but these idiotic and archaic design decisions are so frustrating when they are avoidable and just slow down the process of getting into a game. The progression/unlock system is also terrible, but seeing as its just cosmetics and I am not paying for it I am prepared to overlook that issue.

I figured out how to turn on the ping counter, so at least that's an improvement, but the matchmaking is still my biggest gripe with MP. If you are going to insist on using this inferior gateway to accessing online play then Overwatch's model should be the gold standard....i.e. allow players to join servers mid-match and don't fucking kick everyone to the lobby to start the matchmaking process all over again after a round ends, just load into the next damn round with the existing players! For what its worth I have been having a good time in MP, but these idiotic and archaic design decisions are so frustrating when they are avoidable and just slow down the process of getting into a game. The progression/unlock system is also terrible, but seeing as its just cosmetics and I am not paying for it I am prepared to overlook that issue.
I don't know why they started doing the one game per matchmaking thing. It was never an issue in the past. Doing it this way just makes it harder to develop a community and make friends.

Halo Infinite Campaign Hands on Preview & Exclusive Information- Spoiler Free Impressions

I'm probably a bit of all 3 tbh. but I never played that much multiplayer (maybe 10 or so hours per game on average), mostly stuck with co-op and single player. Split screen co-op was great fun though. I always felt the first one was a bit overrated with the levels in the second half being mediocre. The gunplay was good for a console FPS, but not that impressive to people who were used to PC FPS games. Halo 2 was a significant step up IMO with better level design and more interesting weapons. Halo 3 was the last halo game I played co-op in and Reach was the last one I felt was good. Halo 4 and 5 were decent, but not at the level of the Bungie produced games.

Golden Eye was revolutionary in terms of console FPS with great level design for it's time and the first good console FPS, while halo is mostly influental for it's mechanics. Halo is of course up there with doom II, Quake and Half-life in terms of influencing the genre as the 2-weapon system, regenerating shields etc. has been found in 80-90% of FPS games that have been released after that.

There is a good chance I'll buy Halo Infinite, but doubt it will be a day one purchase. Hopefully they offer cross-buy similar to GoW and Forza so I can play on both console and PC on a single purchase. Xbox series X is still hard to get so it is likely I would play it on PC as I only have the Xbox One X.

Back