guild wars--- WOW--- or starwars galaxis??

Firebomb

[H]ard|Gawd
ok before anything I have to say, I am a hugh starwars buff should I get this regardless? is it good and worth it.?

what one should I get and what.. what one is better for what reason's?

Guild Wars Repeative but free....

Galaxies - like died

WOW - fun and boring at the same time or so my friend says

dont go with galaxies. It is not as polished as guild. Also guild has the free thing...

Being a star wars fan is actually a negative if you want to play galaxies. There is basically no Galactic Civil War to speak of, it's just a bunch of Jedi's running around. It had promise but the devs chose to go in a direction that clashes with hardcore fans.

The space expansion may be better, but I never stuck around that long to see how it would turn out.

SWG! BOO!! BOO!! Run away run away! Dont get it. Bad...

Go with Guild Wars. Much more fun and more rewarding than SWG.

WOW is the best game

Guild Wars is free

Galaxies sucks and costs money

WoW no question. So much to do if you are in a good guild, and tons of new content coming. Roll horde on StormScale

Get Guild Wars, No monthly fee!

And if you really like it, once you are done with it move on to WoW

Everyone says that Guild Wars is better cause they are a bunch of cheapos.. If you are gonna play a MMO dont waster your 49.99 on Guild Wars.. Get WoW or CoH,or CoV. And out of those three if you Really dont wanna get CoH or CoV. WoW is a good game for the first 30 something levels.BUt out of the three you listed. WoW for sure

Ive played Guild Wars.
Great fun, total spent about 300hours, after that its just same thing over and over.

Ive played Galaxies too about 2 months ago. ( got the total expirience pacage )
Beeing a star wars fan is a negative thing as someone pointed out.
The game just doesnt give you that Star Wars universe feeling,
I got frustrated and deleted the game and cancelled my account next week, event though the free month was still on.
plus it laggs a bit.

Didnt play WoW, so i cant recommend.

Ivo

Guild Wars. Not based upon whether it is the better game, just based upon the fact that it's free. No one should have to pay for games after they've already paid for them. What a scam!

steviep said:
Guild Wars. Not based upon whether it is the better game, just based upon the fact that it's free. No one should have to pay for games after they've already paid for them. What a scam!

go back to your consoles... that you pay to play games online with then :)

Sorry, but I don't pay for online console gaming (I don't have an X-box), and it's free with my DS. And I DO play online games with my PC as well, thank you very much. I just refuse to pay extra for something that I've already paid for. I won't ever jump on the MMORPG bandwagon unless it's free, as Guild Wars was.

i had the same decision a while back. i played all but swg and decided to go back to eq2.

also, someone should point out that gw is not and never does feel like a mmorpg.

Played WoW for 9 months and got quite sick of it. I would have to say Guild Wars because of the free and fun factor.

I might be interested in WoW if they didn't charge you the $50 just to have a copy sitting around, on top of the monthly fee. "Hey blizzard I love you guys so much why don't you kick me in the nuts and then let me play your game??"

I believe I saw WOW on sale for 25 dollars on black friday either at best buy or circuit city.

SWG is supposed to be changing soon, for what I consider the worse, but some may consider better

Slartibartfast said:
I might be interested in WoW if they didn't charge you the $50 just to have a copy sitting around, on top of the monthly fee. "Hey blizzard I love you guys so much why don't you kick me in the nuts and then let me play your game??"

the same as all true mmorpg... GW is not really a MMOPRG, it's more like diablo2

the same as all true mmorpg... GW is not really a MMOPRG, it's more like diablo2

That's good news to me because GW is the only MMO game I've ever really wanted, and I put a shameful amount of time in diablo 2 (if anybody ever needs a free rush, my non-ladder account is Slartibartfast and ladder is Slartibartfast2 :D )

Some people still dont get it .... sigh.

The price of the retail boxed copy of world of warcraft includes a month subscription to the game. The pricing of WoW is right inline with other MMORPGs and if you think about it the monthly cost is much cheaper then any other form of entertainment.

If you think the monthly cost of the game, which is less then going to see one movie, is too much, then you must be extremely cheap.

Slartibartfast said:
"Hey blizzard I love you guys so much why don't you kick me in the nuts and then let me play your game??"

Hmm...

Yeah, that's me. I buy blizzard games the day they come out. With the last couple (WoW and Frozen Throne) I was at Best Buy waiting for them to open...mmm.

Draax said:
Some people still dont get it .... sigh.

The price of the retail boxed copy of world of warcraft includes a month subscription to the game. The pricing of WoW is right inline with other MMORPGs and if you think about it the monthly cost is much cheaper then any other form of entertainment.

If you think the monthly cost of the game, which is less then going to see one movie, is too much, then you must be extremely cheap.

amen, you're still an ugly orc.

-manii

TheCreator said:
amen, you're still an ugly orc.

-manii

Even us big ugly warrior Orcs, have feelings too.

/cry

/covers eyes and pretends to hide like a rogue.

I'd never waste a dime, or my time for that matter playing WoW. That game isn't an " MMORPG ", more like MMO action game. No rp in WoW.

dagon11985 said:
I'd never waste a dime, or my time for that matter playing WoW. That game isn't an " MMORPG ", more like MMO action game. No rp in WoW.

you're right... cs 1.6 is too much fun :rolleyes:

dagon11985 said:
No rp in WoW.

I asume you mean there is no role playing in WoW ? If this was your intent you are flat out wrong. Blizzard has seperate servers for RP, including PvE-RP servers and PvP-RP servers.

My only experience with Galaxies was back in Beta, and I hated it. Haven't heard much positive on it since then either though so I'd stay away from that if I were you.

As far as deciding between WoW and GW, I've played both and it really depends on how you see yourself playing the game, and what you want out of it really.

I played WoW before GW for like 9 months, as hardcore as I could considering I have a full time job, and was the guild master of one of the top 5 Alliance guilds on our server. The best part of WoW IMHO is playing your first character with friends from lvl 0-40, and then after that, your first half dozen times going through some of the end-game instances once you hit lvl 60. The problem from about lvl 40 on is that you've already seen 90% of what the game has to offer and you're just grinding out the last 20 levels. Also, the end-game consists of a) waiting around in queues to get into a Battleground to PvP (although this may not be quite as bad if you're a member of the smaller faction on your server), or b) spending COUNTLESS hours in the same raid instance multiple times a week if you're in a large guild. You have to be insanely hardcore if you want to compete in PvP at end game because if you don't have access to the end game raid instances, the catasses that spend their lives playing WoW will make you cry with how overpowered their gear is compared to yours.

As far as GW is concerned, I didn't play that game for nearly as long as WoW, but it seems like the leveling process isn't quite as fun as WoW, but the end-game is potentially much more "fair." What I mean is, everyone that plays GW will have just about the same gear in the end, and the "better" gear is really just "prettier" while the stats are all about equal. The differences all come about with what skills you choose to use and have access to since you can only use 8 different skills at a time. You do have to play through the PvE portion of the game to unlock and gain access to many of the more desireable skills, but even without some of the "elite" skills, you can still compete with anyone at end-game as long as you're a competent player.

Bottom line, you have to ask yourself how you'll be playing the game. If you want to leisurely level a character (preferrably with a friend or two) and don't really care about being competetive at end-game, then WoW is probably your best bet because there's plenty of stuff to do and see if you take your time. If you are super hardcore and don't mind spending literally hundreds of hours (4-8 hours at a time) in the same raid instances so you can have the best gear and be competetive in end-game PvP, then WoW is for you too. If on the other hand you just want to be able to solo (you can use computer controlled henchmen in GW to fill out your group) your way up through the levels at your own pace, and then be competetive in PvP almost regardless of how much or little you play after that, then GW is the game for you.

I am trying WOW now I am on the 10 day trial it seems wierld so much stuff cluttering my screen

there is a 15 day trial for SWG but I dont know if I will do it considering if my being a LOVER of starwars it will hurt me , then damn all I want to do is become a jedi LOL|

If $15/mo is going to be a make or break thing for you, perhaps you find a hobby that doesn't involve computers. There are a lot of other criticisms of MMORPGs that are a lot more valid & useful than whinging about being too cheap to pay the money (hell, I could spend twice that much drinking on a weeknight).

I think $15 a month is definitely expensive, because you can buy other games and own them FOREVER. If I had to pay $15 a month for every month I've played ikaruga we're talking $300+. Ok so the $50 includes one month, I didn't know that and that's not too bad, but still. If you look at it month-by-month, no $15 is not bad, but if you look at it for a year it's insanely expensive. To play wow for the first year costs $215, $180 for each subsequent (and they'll suck another $40 from you with the expansion). That's rediculous. I love Blizzard games but I'm starting to think poorly of them because of their incessant expansion pack bullshit. Example: Diablo 2. They designed the original game with an expansion pack in mind. It's obvious because when you install the expansion it spends more time copying files off of the original CD than the exp. cd. That way they wrest close to $100 from you per game, because once the expansion comes out the original is obsolete. In my mind this is just as bad as making rehash sequel after rehash sequel. I refuse to buy their expansions until they come down in price. Still don't even own frozen throne. And even then it eventually gets to the point where the original game and the expansion are $20 each. So you if you have never played War3, you could get it and the expansion, or you could get Far Cry and a whole other game. Blizzard can make some great games but they're getting away with shafting their fanbase, and I refuse to take part in it.

Slartibartfast said:
I think $15 a month is definitely expensive, because you can buy other games and own them FOREVER. If I had to pay $15 a month for every month I've played ikaruga we're talking $300+. Ok so the $50 includes one month, I didn't know that and that's not too bad, but still. If you look at it month-by-month, no $15 is not bad, but if you look at it for a year it's insanely expensive. To play wow for the first year costs $215, $180 for each subsequent (and they'll suck another $40 from you with the expansion). That's rediculous. I love Blizzard games but I'm starting to think poorly of them because of their incessant expansion pack bullshit. Example: Diablo 2. They designed the original game with an expansion pack in mind. It's obvious because when you install the expansion it spends more time copying files off of the original CD than the exp. cd. That way they wrest close to $100 from you per game, because once the expansion comes out the original is obsolete. In my mind this is just as bad as making rehash sequel after rehash sequel. I refuse to buy their expansions until they come down in price. Still don't even own frozen throne. And even then it eventually gets to the point where the original game and the expansion are $20 each. So you if you have never played War3, you could get it and the expansion, or you could get Far Cry and a whole other game. Blizzard can make some great games but they're getting away with shafting their fanbase, and I refuse to take part in it.

If you buy a coffee for 1$ a day (good luck finding coffee for a dollar), you are spending 360$ a year on coffee. If you look at the long term cost of anything it will seem insanely expensive.

If you buy a coffee for 1$ a day (good luck finding coffee for a dollar), you are spending 360$ a year on coffee. If you look at the long term cost of anything it will seem insanely expensive.

I think that the principle bothers me more than the cost. It's obvious these games can be provided for free (guild wars, older blizzard games) and you can't tell me they don't have enough cash to support it. I just can't help but see Blizzard as a money-mongering company at this point. I can understand going out every week and paying that much money constantly, but why pay monthly for a videogame when there are thousands you only have to pay for once. Just my opinion.

Slartibartfast said:

maybe you should get a job or a better job if you think $180 a year is expensive.... I wish other things like cable, cellphone, car insurance and such were also so "insane."

Yes I agree if you are 14 years old $180 is a lot of money. But if you are 16+ it's really not. Most hobbies aren't free. Like has been said before $15 a month for the entertainment you get is a great deal. I play WoW more than I watch tv, yet I pay $60 a month for cable.

I tired SWG and indeed hated it.

Presently I am playing WoW and enjoying it emmensely. Just this weekend I was able to start pvping. I guess on Blackhand people don't really pvp until the 30-39 bracket, but I'm still having a blast.

If you want to shell out the cash, I say go for it, I am really pleased.

Slartibartfast said:
I think that the principle bothers me more than the cost. It's obvious these games can be provided for free (guild wars, older blizzard games) and you can't tell me they don't have enough cash to support it. I just can't help but see Blizzard as a money-mongering company at this point. I can understand going out every week and paying that much money constantly, but why pay monthly for a videogame when there are thousands you only have to pay for once. Just my opinion.

Guild wars is entirely instanced content with graphical chat rooms, it is very different then WoW, as it is not a true MMORPG and does not require the extensive infrastructure which WoW does, nor did older Blizzard games.

You cannot run a server farm, as extensive as one needed for an MMORPG, for free, plain and simple.

Your angst is also misdirected as it is clear that Vivendi, is the one reaping the profits from WoW, not Blizzard.

In addition yes there are many games that you onyl have to pay for once, now do they have the same staying power, or as large an environment as WoW, the answer is no. Whats the average play time of a game nowadays 12 hours 16 hours? the average time to level a character to 60 is 12 -14 days played time.

If you buy one new game, not MMORPG, every month or two months, even three you are still spending more money then a subscription to WoW.

Guild Wars isn't an MMO, thus it's free. It also gets boring fast. Sure it's cool at first but there just isn't much to make you keep playing.

SWG just got a huge overhaul. Almost everything has changed. It's seems the people posting here are not aware of that yet.
And from what people are saying, it's all for the better. People say it's really fun now. And there is a 10 day trial so it's worth downloading and checking out.

Here is the FAQ on the new SWG updates:
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/en_US/players/content.vm?id=66858

You cannot run a server farm, as extensive as one needed for an MMORPG, for free, plain and simple.

i have to call u on that one. I used to play NWN and I loved it I have all the exp for it and its free. and allways has been but the people I used to play with is gone that is why I want to goto somthing else..
\

so far WOW is kool but it feels very uhhh time consuming and considering I have a wife and 3 kids I dont know If I want to continue with it being 15 a month cuz I wont get to play it much i dont think.

Back