• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

guild wars--- WOW--- or starwars galaxis??

Firebomb said:
You cannot run a server farm, as extensive as one needed for an MMORPG, for free, plain and simple.


i have to call u on that one. I used to play NWN and I loved it I have all the exp for it and its free. and allways has been but the people I used to play with is gone that is why I want to goto somthing else..
\

so far WOW is kool but it feels very uhhh time consuming and considering I have a wife and 3 kids I dont know If I want to continue with it being 15 a month cuz I wont get to play it much i dont think.

The main reason I play WoW is because of the guild with which I am part of. I took a break from WoW for a few months and only rejoined because people from the Hard boards were playing. I think the staying power behind most MMORPGs is directly proportional to the players with which you group with.

WoW does offer incentives to people who do not play as often as others. IE you get rest experience when you are logged out at an inn. This means when you finally get back to playing you get two times the experiece you normally would. The amount of rested XP is determined by how long you log out, at a max of 2.5 levels worth I believe.

When and if you do get to level 60, Im not going to lie, the raids and encounters are long ones. Last night we spent four hours in Molten Core to kill the first four bosses. The good thing is when we deciede to pick up the raid on thursday the first four bosses will be dead, our progress is saved in a way.
 
sounds neat... also has anyone played COH or COV i just noticed they are MMORPG are they any good and are they free or what?
 
Firebomb said:
sounds neat... also has anyone played COH or COV i just noticed they are MMORPG are they any good and are they free or what?

i have not played them, i do know they are $15 a month also.
 
Draax said:
The main reason I play WoW is because of the guild with which I am part of. I took a break from WoW for a few months and only rejoined because people from the Hard boards were playing. I think the staying power behind most MMORPGs is directly proportional to the players with which you group with.

WoW does offer incentives to people who do not play as often as others. IE you get rest experience when you are logged out at an inn. This means when you finally get back to playing you get two times the experiece you normally would. The amount of rested XP is determined by how long you log out, at a max of 2.5 levels worth I believe.

When and if you do get to level 60, Im not going to lie, the raids and encounters are long ones. Last night we spent four hours in Molten Core to kill the first four bosses. The good thing is when we deciede to pick up the raid on thursday the first four bosses will be dead, our progress is saved in a way.

i believe the max rested xp amount is 1.5 levels.
 
If you wanna bitch about cost, look at XBox Live - $50/yr and they don't even run game servers.
 
question of starwars. I was told it takes a long time to get to be a jedi. but does that also count for a lightsabre. does it take forever to get one of those to?
 
Wow FTW. I've been playing WOW since the beggining of summer and I'm still playing it. I have 3 chars now and I play them one at a time. I'll lvl one then I'll work on the other one after they have gotten a shit load of rest (rest = the shit). I love my Warlock, Priest and Rouge so far and with the Expansion coming out soon ooooooh man its going to be bad ass.
 
I did the 10 day trial of WOW and I thought it was great.

I played COH for a couple months and like it alot.

I own GW and I love it.


If you think you will be pretty dedicated to it, go with WOW and it will be worth the monthly cost.

Same goes for COH.

Guild Wars works better for me because I will go crazy on it for a month and then pickup one of my other games. It just wouldn't feel right if I were paying a subscription fee during the month or so that I wasn't playing it. So Guild Wars ends up fitting my playing habbits the best.
 
Firebomb said:
question of starwars. I was told it takes a long time to get to be a jedi. but does that also count for a lightsabre. does it take forever to get one of those to?

Not with the new changes. You can now start the game as a Jedi. But don't expect to be badass right from the beginning. It's takes alot of training to get to that level.

You can also now start the game as a bounty hunter.
 
As someone who had a lvl 80 character, I was a BH/carbineer and now I am strictly BH by them forcing my hand. They made the game play crazy fast.

I don't hate it, thought I would, don't though. You have to hover the cursor over your target, and hold one of the mouse buttons down to shoot. My CL80 BH shoots hella fast, and his specials do a buttload of dmg.

Not that this change is going to save the game though, as now we have a shitton of new bugs to wait to befixed. Moreso than the old bugs that still existed before.

I'm juuuuust about done with MMO's completely.
 
Slartibartfast said:
I think $15 a month is definitely expensive, because you can buy other games and own them FOREVER. If I had to pay $15 a month for every month I've played ikaruga we're talking $300+. Ok so the $50 includes one month, I didn't know that and that's not too bad, but still. If you look at it month-by-month, no $15 is not bad, but if you look at it for a year it's insanely expensive. To play wow for the first year costs $215, $180 for each subsequent (and they'll suck another $40 from you with the expansion).


Price point changes if you pay in advance.
 
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg

look under New Game Enhancements under game discussion.

The community is in revolt. People cancelling left and right at this abortion of a game. It used to have the style and complexity to keep you entertained for years if you wanted to ignore some of the bugs, now half the game is broken. Don't waste your time or your money. Customer service sucks, movement is retarded. The response to the New Game Enhancements has been overwhelmingly negative. I', payed through the year with both my accounts, otherwise I would have cancelled too, and I have played since Beta.

It was unique at one point, but now they are making it a bastardization of WoW in the Star Wars setting.
 
With the last patch GW is a F'd up mess.

Check the GW sites its screwed up.

maybe WOW and I think that $15 a month for any online game
is a rape...maybe $2-$5 but NOT $15....but I guess momey has
a lot of money.

ps

WORST BUY BF SALE
Call of Duty 2 $24.99
World of WarCraft $24.99


Just my opinions

sparks
 
WoW is easily the best game out of the ones listed. Guild Wars is NOT a MMORPG - it's a glorified graphical chat room with all content instanced. It's more similar to Battlenet then it is to your regular MMO game. The whole 'Why pay to play a MMORPG' they push is a gimmick to try and make the game 'sellable' to people who would never 'pay to play' and pass it as if they are playing an MMORPG.

Won't even discuss SWG - worst implemented MMORPG ever, and the first to completly change the game from the ground up 3 years after release (for the worst). This game by any other name would have suffered a timely death like Asheron's Call 2.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an old MMORPG vet and WoW does have some very glaring flaws, but for anyone who's never played an MMORPG before, WoW is easily the best game out there, and worth every penny.

I still don't get the whole 'Don't want to pay to play' mentality, it's the most absurd thing ever. I know of several people who were FPS gurus who wouldn't touch WoW at all, but once they actually PLAYED it, they got instantly hooked and realized there is a very good reason why it's 'pay to play'. The hard part is actually getting these FPS / Battlenet hard-headed types to just overlook the 'pay to play' and actually play it first.
 
I still don't get the whole 'Don't want to pay to play' mentality, it's the most absurd thing ever. I know of several people who were FPS gurus who wouldn't touch WoW at all, but once they actually PLAYED it, they got instantly hooked and realized there is a very good reason why it's 'pay to play'. The hard part is actually getting these FPS / Battlenet hard-headed types to just overlook the 'pay to play' and actually play it first.

Well I think there's a certain amount of relative value. I mean, I play about 90 minutes of games a day, tops. For me, $15 a month is too much for 90 minutes a day (and that's assuming I don't play any other games). If I could devote 4 hours a day to it, it might be worth the money. However, I rather enjoy not living with my parents.
 
15 dollars a month is to expensive for about 45 hours a month of gameplay?
What can you do that is cheaper?
 
15 dollars a month is to expensive for about 45 hours a month of gameplay?
What can you do that is cheaper?

Buy 1 game for $30 and play it for the rest of your life, instead of one month.

The point is that in and of itself it is not expensive, but compared to other games it's inordinately expensive.
 
i played the SWG trial, HOLY FREAKIN BORING.. i hated it.. wow was actually enjoyable for 6 months, until i got bored and quit
 
well the game is $50.
then another $165 to play it for a year.
so thats $215 for a year of game play.

THAT IS HIGH

I would consider a free game that charges $15 a month high.
Matter of fact all these people should give the game away for
these prices.

and consider this
diabloII was single player and online play at $30 price.
I believe WOW is online only but not sure.



sparks
 
reddhaus said:
I did the 10 day trial of WOW and I thought it was great.

I played COH for a couple months and like it alot.

I own GW and I love it.


If you think you will be pretty dedicated to it, go with WOW and it will be worth the monthly cost.

Same goes for COH.

Guild Wars works better for me because I will go crazy on it for a month and then pickup one of my other games. It just wouldn't feel right if I were paying a subscription fee during the month or so that I wasn't playing it. So Guild Wars ends up fitting my playing habbits the best.


You can just not renew your subscrition after your play time is up... your character will remain on the server and when you want to play again, pay for another months gametime and resume play. You don't have to pay if you arne't playing.

You pay 1 month at a time.
 
SWG is horrible. I just unsubscribed last week because they're changing the entire game for the 2nd time in less than a year.

I've played the new system on the test server, it's very dumbed down and ridiculous. Needless to say it was bad enough to make me cancel my account of 2 years.

Thanks SOE!


I've played WoW since beta - I'd have to say it's the most fun I've had in an MMORPG since Asheron's Call (a groundbreaking game in my book). It does get boring at times, but only if you overplay it...just gotta pace yourself. In all honesty, WoW is just truly fun. I don't see how anyone could not like it.

Can't comment on Guildwars since I've never tried it.
 
I've been playing WOW since the day it was released on the same server same char the whole time. I happen to lead a top end guild at the moment on the Mannoroth server and have a 60 warlock.

I cant say that if it was a bad game i'd still be playing for going on a year now. I've played GW / SWG and wasn't impressed with either. Ultimately it's whatever YOU like to play. But if you'd like someone elses reccomendation whos played them all than WOW is my vote.

Sure there are some errors, but what MMO doesn't? The PvE raiding in WOW is actually REALLY good and not as boring as some others (EQ1 for example got a bit tedious at times).

Leading a top end guild adds some excitement / drama for me, and as others are saying being in a good guild is in part some of the reason to play the game. I wouldn't play if i wasnt guilded.
 
The only people that are complaining about the SWG updates are veteran players who hate change. Those people who have played in the past and quite due to boredom and those who have never played are all loving the game now.

SOE isn't going to make changes that kill off subscriptions. They like money as much as the next business. They are making changes to target a larger audience. The game was sinking before and the NGE is breathing new life into it. I don't know if it will revitalize the game and bring in alot of new subscribers but those of us who bought the game and did'nt like it are all very intrested in these new changes.
 
Archer75 said:
The only people that are complaining about the SWG updates are veteran players who hate change. Those people who have played in the past and quite due to boredom and those who have never played are all loving the game now.

SOE isn't going to make changes that kill off subscriptions. They like money as much as the next business. They are making changes to target a larger audience. The game was sinking before and the NGE is breathing new life into it. I don't know if it will revitalize the game and bring in alot of new subscribers but those of us who bought the game and did'nt like it are all very intrested in these new changes.

Um, did you LOOK on the forums? There's complete anarchy and revolt going on there. The changes suck dude and the dwindling remaining subscriptions are 85% jedi. Its not a MMORPG any more...
 
Nasty_Savage said:
Its not a MMORPG any more...

I have to agree there. I'm not a hack and slash RPG kinda guy myself. I know it is in every ULA nowadays, but man it sucks to just revamp a whole game when the player base is paying for one thing, and getting shifted to another.

I feel for all those people who pay their subs in 6 month blocks.
 
OFF TOPIC SECTION

Lets see...WoW = $50 when I bought it and Fees so far = 10x16 = $160
Days played = 32 = 768 Hours --> Price per hour = $0.24/hour
*boggle*. How can anything think thats expensive.

ON TOPIC SECTION

WoW is very good if you have a guild to play with because it allows you both the solo and the group activities. Also, most servers are maturing therefore even PUG's can be fun since they are fairly overpowered. The battlegrounds "issues" have been fixed in my oppionion. There is so much available to do it is hard to get bored. However, the key is having a guild. Just like in real world...you can be in New York and be alone if you choose to.

-tReP
 
Nasty_Savage said:
Um, did you LOOK on the forums? There's complete anarchy and revolt going on there. The changes suck dude and the dwindling remaining subscriptions are 85% jedi. Its not a MMORPG any more...

yes, I looked. There are those that hate it and those that love it. My post said that vets will most likely not like the NGE. Which is accurate. They are focusing on bringing in a new and larger audience by making the game more accessible.
They aren't making these changes because they don't like money!
 
TheCreator said:
You can just not renew your subscrition after your play time is up... your character will remain on the server and when you want to play again, pay for another months gametime and resume play. You don't have to pay if you arne't playing.

You pay 1 month at a time.


I kind of thought that but I wasn't sure.

Maybe I will go ahead and buy WOW when I get in the mood again......... :p


Do you know if COH is like that too? Like I said I got bored with it but I might pay for another month if my characters are still on the server.
 
reddhaus said:
I kind of thought that but I wasn't sure.

Maybe I will go ahead and buy WOW when I get in the mood again......... :p


Do you know if COH is like that too? Like I said I got bored with it but I might pay for another month if my characters are still on the server.

All MMO's are like that.
 
Archer75 said:
yes, I looked. There are those that hate it and those that love it. My post said that vets will most likely not like the NGE. Which is accurate. They are focusing on bringing in a new and larger audience by making the game more accessible.
They aren't making these changes because they don't like money!

Well, the people who love it are few. Its actually a pretty poor excuse of an attempt...you're going to be playing a beta as they convert all this stuff over. Since we've already seen one CU sweep that caused a mass exodus, and it obviously didn't work for them to pull this shit...you can bet the fallout from this will either cause the game to shut down or they will radically change it again and screw over the people who love it now.

For what its worth, I couldn't get into Guild Wars. Tried CoH and I lost interest in it. I guess I found them over simplistic compared to what SWG WAS, and was now trying to be. Never tried WoW, but a friend of mine who resisted and was a huge SWG fan who quit after the CU thinks its fantastic. I would trust his opinion. The graphics are a little to tooney for me, I personally am waiting for DDO. Its not an epic space game that SWG tried to be, but if I'm gonna get thrown into a fantasy world, I might as well go with the license that is probably as epic as Star Wars was :(
 
well so far I have played the 10 day trial of WOW and SWG. DAMN I was hopeing for so much more from the SWG then from what I got it just felt jerky and or buggy it didnt have a "smooth" motion feel to it like Wow does. well thats a shame. so far WoW is looking good now I need a way to try out GW and COH LOL
 
Lets see...WoW = $50 when I bought it and Fees so far = 10x16 = $160
Days played = 32 = 768 Hours --> Price per hour = $0.24/hour
*boggle*. How can anything think thats expensive.

It's not expensive in and of itself.

it's expensive compared to other games.

try reading the previous posts sometime.
 
diablo II battleset $29
$0 for 3 full years of online play.

think real hard ====$29



yours is

768 hrs is 32 days x24hrs a day play time so I will do the same

Days played = 32 = 768 Hours --> Price per hour = $0.24/hour


x 3 yrs x24 == $0.0011035007610350076103500761035008/per hour
you paid too much

sparks
 
sparks said:
diablo II battleset $29
$0 for 3 full years of online play.

think real hard ====$29



yours is

768 hrs is 32 days x24hrs a day play time so I will do the same

Days played = 32 = 768 Hours --> Price per hour = $0.24/hour


x 3 yrs x24 == $0.0011035007610350076103500761035008/per hour
you paid too much

sparks

You could, at the very least, compare WoW to a similiar product, IE an MMORPG, and while you at it, compare it to a current game.
 
You could, at the very least, compare WoW to a similiar product, IE an MMORPG, and while you at it, compare it to a current game.

Comparing it to a current game is irrelevent. I think MMO's should be considered separate from games. Games are more of a product while an MMO is more of a service. You can win a game, but you can't win an MMO. Diablo 2 was great because it was effectively both. If I was interested in an MMO experience I'd get into D&D or something, which is cheaper and allows for actual interaction with other people.
 
i played diablo for years, it is a MMO ther is a LOT of people u cant met on there. if by MMO u meen alot of people in the game at once, then no u could only have 8 at a time.,
 
I'm with the crew saying MMOs are different. It's a completely different experience than anything you can play in your battlenet situations or fps online because you have so many more people to interact with very regularly to do so many different things in so many different places, WoW being the main example. It definitely seems expensive to us to have to pay $15/mo on top of the the $50 for the game in the first place, but everything is expensive these days - i gotta fork out $15 bucks for myself and a date at the movie theatre and fuck if she's getting any popcorn.

I think the best way to look at the situation is to accept that we are going to have to pay for this new experience because it surely costs the game makers a ton to keep the shit up and running and to continue to provide new content. This doesn't mean that I can't be skeptical about everyone trying screw me out of my, (not really hard earned in my case,) dough. Shit the game makers love posts like mine - they don't have to do a god damn thing if i can convince you for them.

Anyway, I play WoW - got a month after it came out -> hooked like crack, stopped playing at the start of the next semester of classes. My roommate played it -> hooked like crack, dropped out of school not so much because of it, but it definitely played a serious role in redirecting his attention. A buddy asked me about WoW 3 months ago, I said he should definitely play it -> didn't hear from him for 2 weeks, apparently that's all he did, he's still there lvl 60 rogue, fucking shit up. Now he got me hooked back up on it and i'm blazing away.

I highly recommend the game and until i hear lots and lots about another MMO that's better I'm sticking with this one - tried out Matrix Online too, uhhh and no other real MMOs, but of course played the FPSs and diablo, etc.
 
99% of people who will try SWG will be dissapointed. I'm 100% positive. That game is horrible now. They have totally, totally destroyed a once awesome game.
 
SWG recently went through a "revamp" which made it *better* for new players by far. Though veterans are still kindof left out in space. (tons of new quests and stuff to do for newbies up to about lvl 30ish) If you've not played it before you might give it a shot.. if you've been gone a while give it a shot as a "newbie" player.

I personally like EQ2 quite a bit. Also lots to do. I have quite a few friends there and we always find plenty to do.

I only ever played beta for GW and WoW so I cant comment on the current state of those games but I didnt enjoy them back then. I do know some people that love them though.
 
jtzako said:
SWG recently went through a "revamp" which made it *better* for new players by far. Though veterans are still kindof left out in space. (tons of new quests and stuff to do for newbies up to about lvl 30ish) If you've not played it before you might give it a shot.. if you've been gone a while give it a shot as a "newbie" player.


Sorry to say this, no offense intended, but this is a bad recommendation. If you value your time, steer clear of SWG. I am speaking from experience (played SWG since its release). It's obvious Sony has no concern for what the playerbase wants...if you try out SWG don't be suprised if they change the entire game 6 months later. (I've gone through it twice, and I had no problem with the original version of the game, hell it was my favorite version of SWG until they ruined it -- twice).
 
Back
Top