GTX1050 for 1080p?

So I finally had to build a new system after my old one is slowly dying. Planned to go with a 1070 or 1808 until I saw the prices. So, I'm still using an old GTX 660 Ti in the setup below. Wondering if a 1050 would be good since I don't have a 4K monitor and don't plan on getting on anytime soon. I did purchase the Oculus Rift deal on prime day though so not sure if that negates a 1050 as an option. I'm open to AMD variants too, but I do dual boot linux (Fedora or Ubuntu) and know Nvidia generally plays better.

Ryzen 7 1700X (OC'd at 3.8 currently)
Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K5
16GB memory (running at 2933 currently)

Rather go with 1050ti. The price difference is miniscule, but it's quite better. Plus you can keep it as a fallback card later on.

Neither one will get you 60fps max settings on triple A titles, but it's a massive upgrade over your current card.

You will be happy with the value you get out of a 1050 or 1050ti

I honestly would stay away from the 1050 models.

They are not what i call decent 1080P cards. Coming from a 660 Ti... eh yeah, but context here is that your user experience still won't be all that good due to constantly playing at medium settings.

I'd recommend waiting for the 1060 3GB/6GB cards to make it back down to their original $200 price points.

Last edited:
I would recomemnd waiting. If your goal is to play games at higher settings the 1060 is a much better choice, even the 3GB model. This mining craze will blow over eventually and when it does you will regret a 1050 ti unless you are alright with medium settings for the most part.

Yeah, the 660Ti is just a little slower than the 1050. It won't be much of an upgrade.

Wait a couple months for prices to settle down. OR if you must jump now, go with the 3GB cards.

I guess that since I have not seen any better than mediocre gameplay quality I am ok with medium settings. I am a Solo/Campaign shooter Gamer and I have always had medium rigs, with the poorly optimized console ports that we get as of late I have been playing all of the games with my GTX660 (except for Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 even after the patches it is a snooze/freeze fest for me). I was able to pick up an Asus Strix 4GB 1050ti for about 170.00 (tax & shipping included) as my old GTX decided to die on me. I don't think that I got lucky but at least I didn't have to bite the big one and I am sure that it will be better than my GTX660.

After the craze I may be able to pick up a 2nd 1050ti for SLI but since my monitor is only 1080p I doubt I will disappointed.

Perhaps when the kids move out I make build myself a monster rig but for now... I will be happy with this.

So I finally had to build a new system after my old one is slowly dying. Planned to go with a 1070 or 1808 until I saw the prices. So, I'm still using an old GTX 660 Ti in the setup below. Wondering if a 1050 would be good since I don't have a 4K monitor and don't plan on getting on anytime soon. I did purchase the Oculus Rift deal on prime day though so not sure if that negates a 1050 as an option. I'm open to AMD variants too, but I do dual boot linux (Fedora or Ubuntu) and know Nvidia generally plays better.

The minimum that Oculus specs for the Rift is a 1050Ti. I use mine with a 1080, and it's "enough" without being massive overkill. I would not expect good VR results with a 1050. I agree with the others suggesting a 1050Ti. I have one in my laptop, and it's actually surprisingly good, although I wouldn't expect spectacular VR results with the 1050Ti, either.

If you're really wanting a 1080, the prices for those are pretty much the same as they've always been. It's the 1070s that are effective for Ethereum mining and suddenly became unobtanium.

I'm currently using the gtx1050ti with an r5 1600 and have had zero issues with it at 1080p and depending on which card you get it can easily be overclocked for a little extra performance. Originally wanted the rx580 but screw those prices.. as far as vr performance I can't comment.

you can't SLI 1050ti, no SLI pins... only 1070 above supports it this generation :(
Oh well, more money saved for me then. :D I guess that I screw the pooch by not being an avid SLI gamer and do the research before purchase.

I do believe that if I have been happy with my GTX 660, I should be happier with the 1050Ti for a couple more years.

Get a 980ti. You can find those for $300 used and they are equitable to the 1070.

They aren't very power efficient at full tilt so miners stay away from them. (Miners are why the other midrange card prices are inflated.)

The classified on this forum have several at that price. They are great cards and would handle your VR interest much better than a 1060 or 1050ti.

i picked up a gigabyte 1050 for 99 shipped at jet. It is fine for 1080p as long as you dont mind the 2gb ram limit and turning some settings down. Its slightly faster than a gtx 760. The cheapest 1050ti i could find in stock was $143. To me it wasnt worth the extra 43 bucks. Especially considering i bought the alienware x51 r2 with a 4770 for $200

The minimum that Oculus specs for the Rift is a 1050Ti. I use mine with a 1080, and it's "enough" without being massive overkill. I would not expect good VR results with a 1050. I agree with the others suggesting a 1050Ti. I have one in my laptop, and it's actually surprisingly good, although I wouldn't expect spectacular VR results with the 1050Ti, either.

If you're really wanting a 1080, the prices for those are pretty much the same as they've always been. It's the 1070s that are effective for Ethereum mining and suddenly became unobtanium.

1080 cost about $100 more than they used to and not many models are in stock for that price.

If you don't mind used, look for a GTX 970 in the $150 (or less) range. Will beat the snot out of the 1050ti and is comparable to 1060.

1060 is probably the sweet spot 1080p this generation, but like others have said the miners have made finding one challenging. Not impossible, just a challenge. If you see one at a decent price you have to snap it up, don't think too long about it.

Used 980ti's are good cards but I haven't seen too many under $300. But they are comparable to 1070.

The 980ti / 1070 is about as low as you want to go for VR use, and really you would want GTX 1080 or better but now you're talking $500+

Hey OP I have a rx460 modded to a rx560 bios, maybe equal to a 1050, it works pretty well in my htpc at 1080p. I have not run into anything that it cannot play but I am generally a humble bundle or cdkeys cheap game buyer so maybe last year A+ titles, or console ports. It does kind of suck on the current prices to get into the mid range, but if you want to go above the 1050, 1050ti or rx460 560 cards the 9 series cards are hard to beat used.

Back