GTX 980 & GTX 970 Availability Thread

Can you imagine someone spending about $2k for a pair of 980s SLI'd and the 27" Asus Swift RoG monitor? That must be gaming heaven. :eek: Too rich for my blood, but one can dream. :p

I did, but ended up giving one of the 980s to my bro since he missed the initial launch stock. Will pick up a 2nd 980 in a month or so once things cool down a bit, but honestly the single 980 is perfect for many current games at 2560 with everything cranked up thanks to G-Sync. You just don't need to push as many FPS to get a great gaming experience.

As for spending so much lol, the trick is, never write out the total amount that you spent all at once as one big number, it helps trust me! ;)

Starting to think the 970 purchase was four nothing. No good games coming in 2014...

Starting to think the 970 purchase was four nothing. No good games coming in 2014...

Hmm... I've been having a ton of fun with Shadows of Mordor. The Evil Within, The Crew and Far Cry 4 look promising too.

Hmm... I've been having a ton of fun with Shadows of Mordor. The Evil Within, The Crew and Far Cry 4 look promising too.

++

I thoroughly enjoyed The Crew open beta, and this from a guy who was never into racing games his entire life.

Wow - the plain clock straight $549 980's are not to be found.

I did see a GTX 680, new, going for $1199.99.

Maybe I should sell my used one for 1/2 that price, well heck I'll give you an awesome deal son here's the price at 25% !

Maybe I will be happier waiting for the 6 and 8gb cards anyways.

The zotac is fugly. For some reason my CC did not go through & was put on hold...Luckily I saw it friday & for some reason my CC company thought it was a fraud purchase (guessing bc of the visa checkout promo? Anyways I got it sorted out this morning & luckily newegg holds an order for up to 5 business days so they held 1 Asus 970 for me even though they sold out!!

I thought at least the 970s would be in stock somewhere. Guess not.

Yup the 970s are back in stock (low stock but instock) at amazon! Newegg is OOS for most cards

Idk there are a lot of games I am looking forward to, some already mentioned. Shadows of Mordor is awesome though, a great showcase available right now for any GTX 970/980 owner or even 290/X or 780/Ti.

Other games scheduled for 2014:

Assassin's Creed Unity
FarCry 4
Dragon Age Inquisition
Borderlands Pre-Sequel (prob won't be super demanding or impressive but faster GPUs help with max PhysX)
Lords of the Fallen (looks a lot better in latest trailers)
CoD: Advanced Warfare (i don't really care about this but it will still bajillions of copies)

there's also some console ports coming, like Ryse, which I will probably wait on but still want to check out the graphics, which are supposed to be nice.

Also GTA5 and Witcher 3 early next year, but yeah, if you can wait you may want to see what happens with AMD's next chip and Big Maxwell. Personally, I am not buying anymore ~250W GPUs, I much prefer the <200W GPUs now as I tend to go SLI and 2x250W GPUs just makes my office uncomfortable even in the winter time.

Can you imagine someone spending about $2k for a pair of 980s SLI'd and the 27" Asus Swift RoG monitor? That must be gaming heaven. :eek: Too rich for my blood, but one can dream. :p

While I don't have the Asus RoG monitor, I just got a LG 34UM94 and a pair of GTX 980's. I will let you know know my gaming experience ;)
Back to topic, may be worth while to keep checking stock of these 980's and 970's at directron.com since there's the 10% off coupon for first time customer.

I've had my Asus 970 since Friday morning and yet still haven't thrown it in my rig yet.... why the hell did I pay for next day delivery? Sheesh I'm lazy....

I did pull it out of the box and oogle it some.... sexy sexy card!

Sigh. I can not seem to find a place online that sells the Strix without the added price gouge or tax. I guess it is all for the best since there have been ZERO confirmation with visual proof that the Strix fits the 250D.

At this rate it might be best to wait and see if stores offer some sort of Brack Friday Bunduru next month.

:(

Sigh. I can not seem to find a place online that sells the Strix without the added price gouge or tax. I guess it is all for the best since there have been ZERO confirmation with visual proof that the Strix fits the 250D.

At this rate it might be best to wait and see if stores offer some sort of Brack Friday Bunduru next month.

:(
I've got a 250D and a Google search revealed that the Asus Strix 970 fits the case... barely. Many don't recommend it. That's the card I want, too.

Anyone can chime on the GTX 970 Armour 2X from MSI? I`m on the verge of buying one from Amazon?

Zotac GTX 970 (the smaller one) currently in stock at Newegg.

If they let me use the visacheckout promo, or a least gave me a chance at free shipping (no Shoprunner option), I might bite.

It would be a nice card for an HTPC / gaming unit, I think.

But I'm just too cheap to pay for shipping :)

Last edited:
Zotac GTX 970 currently in stock at Newegg.

If they let me use the visacheckout promo, or a least gave me a chance at free shipping (no Shoprunner option), I might bite.

It would be a nice card for an HTPC / gaming unit, I think.

But I'm just too cheap to pay for shipping :)

You can place an order and get on chat right away with Newegg rep to get upgraded to free Shoprunner 2-day shipping. As long as it is in process and not "shipped" they can change it. It may depend on the item and how much business you do with them, but they did this for me for my ROG Swift since I pre-ordered it when it was available for about 15 minutes and had no option for free Shoprunner. Worst case, if they don't do it for you, you can just cancel the order.

I did, but ended up giving one of the 980s to my bro since he missed the initial launch stock. Will pick up a 2nd 980 in a month or so once things cool down a bit, but honestly the single 980 is perfect for many current games at 2560 with everything cranked up thanks to G-Sync. You just don't need to push as many FPS to get a great gaming experience.

As for spending so much lol, the trick is, never write out the total amount that you spent all at once as one big number, it helps trust me! ;)
I agree! I try to limit myself to one major expenditure per CC billing cycle (outside of X-mas, when that goes to hell). I got my video card in the beginning of summer and ordered my monitor last month (still waiting - Overlord Computing 27" 1440p).

While I don't have the Asus RoG monitor, I just got a LG 34UM94 and a pair of GTX 980's. I will let you know know my gaming experience ;)
Back to topic, may be worth while to keep checking stock of these 980's and 970's at directron.com since there's the 10% off coupon for first time customer.
Nice, you'll be in gaming heaven, esp. w/ a monitor that size.

I think like w/ any hot, new product, wait about a month and inventory will be in stock and maybe even the occasional sale. I wouldn't be shocked if the 970 dipped below $300 come BF.

I've got a 250D and a Google search revealed that the Asus Strix 970 fits the case... barely. Many don't recommend it. That's the card I want, too.

Same. Google turns up results that say it "should" fit but nothing conclusive has turned up. If anything, Google results show more "should not" than "should". :(

Same. Google turns up results that say it "should" fit but nothing conclusive has turned up. If anything, Google results show more "should not" than "should". :(
FWIW, I found this list of compatible (at least claimed to be) video cards with the 250D. Both the Asus Strix 970 and MSI Gaming 970 are on it. I guess the best advice is to buy from a store with a good RMA policy, just in case.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/?compatible_with=corsair-case-cc9011047ww#c=186

What good games in 2014?! I Need a gaming monitor asap for this 970! How is that overloard monitor?

Ordered my MSI GTX-970-4GD5T-OC from Amazon. Gonna be here in 2 days. Hopefully no issues

Just received my 2 Zotac GTX 980 from directron. They kept their words and gave me 10% off on both cards. Good deal. Now only if they can improve their stock checking system. Btw as of now they have 1 vanilla MSI GTX 980 and "9" MSI 4G GTX 980.

My asus should be in tom 335 shipped. Now if only I had an awesome monitor... =(

I put cash aside and am waiting for 6/8 gb versions. Hope they are not gouge-your-own-eyes-out-when-you-see-the-price expensive.

Even just playing at 3k I can already hit 3.5 gb Vram (or more) used in ESO.

I have not done SLI since the 7900 gtx - the days of old. How is SLI working in the real world now a days?

Is it worth spending the extra 150 to get a new 970 over a used 290/x?

Price/performance wise, no. The extra features the 970 offers could be worth it depending on your needs.

Personally I'm a big fan of DSR and wouldn't go back to AMD unless they implement something similar. I know you can downsample through other methods but I really like that it's built into the driver level now.

For anyone looking for GTX 980s, especially reference models, and have a MicroCenter near them it's worth taking a look. My local MC had at least 5 reference Asus 980s in stock today, there was a huge markup on them though at $699. You may be able to price match to Newegg but given NE is generally OoS and I have not had good success PM'ing GPUs at MC, it is definitely YMMV!

I put cash aside and am waiting for 6/8 gb versions. Hope they are not gouge-your-own-eyes-out-when-you-see-the-price expensive.

Even just playing at 3k I can already hit 3.5 gb Vram (or more) used in ESO.

I have not done SLI since the 7900 gtx - the days of old. How is SLI working in the real world now a days?

Scaling is good up to 2 Maxwell cards, expect up to ~1.7x typical, greatly diminishing returns at 3x and almost no gain or even negative scaling with 4 cards. Nvidia probably needs some time to tweak scaling for SLI.

You'll also need a fast CPU to drive the GPUs, not sure what you are running but a newer i5/i7 over 4GHz is highly recommended.

As for the implementation, you are still reliant on SLI profiles, but Nvidia is generally very good about updating them and supporting new games on launch day. There's also quite a few tools, mainly Nvidia Inspector that allow you to tweak SLI bits if you are an advanced user to gain SLI functionality before Nvidia updates the profile.

Personally I went away from SLI for now due to some compatibility issues I experienced with 670 SLI and my ROG Swift. I will probably end up getting a 2nd 980 once things calm down a bit, but don't really need the perf right now.

why not get a new 290x, the price drops are insane

The pricedrops on 290x's are insane because the price/performance on the GTX970 is insane. That's the only reason the price is dropping, and you'd have to be insane to buy a 290x before they hit $299.

Price/performance wise, no. The extra features the 970 offers could be worth it depending on your needs.

Personally I'm a big fan of DSR and wouldn't go back to AMD unless they implement something similar. I know you can downsample through other methods but I really like that it's built into the driver level now.
DSR also uses a custom 13 pass filter which makes it look much better than traditional down sampling as well. It's a much much better method.

it's like they include the 5 dollar giftcard so i cant take 10% off using visa checkout. : < (

it's like they include the 5 dollar giftcard so i cant take 10% off using visa checkout. : < (

Honestly given how hard the 980 has been to come across, I'm hoping that $15 net difference didn't stop you from pulling the trigger, especially since that was MSRP and not marked up.

Back