GTX 660 Ti SLI vs GTX 680

Alright well I finally made a choice!! I bought one EVGA GTX 670 FTW! I will be picking up a second one for SLI in a few days once Tiger refunds me!!! Can't wait! I think I may post pics of them in my rig as soon as I can :)

Thanks to Slyr for all his awesome tips and insight and keeping me company on here!!! :D
Wednesday morning Edit: 1st day off in 6 days. Going riding ...brap brap BRAAAAAAAAAP. .......Edit: Now page 3 with 40 posts per page!
BUMP - LoL - Someone might still get some good info from this thread.

Once again I reply when it's dark out now haha. Got to work 2 jobs sometimes. ;)

Glad you hit the button. You'll be happy with that one I'm sure. DieHard customer service I hear.
Those things in SLI will beat the 680 pretty good so the bang for buck is vastly superior. SLI efficiency is pretty good these days also. :D

You're welcome! I didn't mean to make that choice too difficult haha. Don't mind one bit you didnt get the MSI, I wanted to give choices.

Last edited:
Wednesday morning Edit: 1st day off in 6 days. Going riding ...brap brap BRAAAAAAAAAP. .......Edit: Now page 3 with 40 posts per page!
BUMP - LoL - Someone might still get some good info from this thread.

Once again I reply when it's dark out now haha. Got to work 2 jobs sometimes. ;)

Glad you hit the button. You'll be happy with that one I'm sure. DieHard customer service I hear.
Those things in SLI will beat the 680 pretty good so the bang for buck is vastly superior. SLI efficiency is pretty good these days also. :D

You're welcome! I didn't mean to make that choice too difficult haha. Don't mind one bit you didnt get the MSI, I wanted to give choices.

Haha I always count on hearing from you real late! And nice!!! A day off!!! :D

I got my first 670 today!!! Here it is:

img20120905120632.jpg

Haha thanks - Rosewill Thor V2. It's my fist full tower case and I will never go back! Awesome cable management and airflow its awesome!

First I was sure that it was an 810, then I looked at the bays and your reply and was amazed :p

love the case, I have a Sentey and love it, i want that 810 switch though, but have other things in the budget. I guess when i get my stuff set up again in my new place ill take my air cooler off and use my CPU corsair water cooler as well and help free up some more airflow.

SURPRISE: Not posting late @ night for once. Plan changed so today I can chill and recoup right now.

Drexel: I like that case. Nice setup and that motherboard is awesome. 3 extra pci case slots lol!
I prefer the looks of my CPU HSF, but when I go to a quad I'll probably keep all case fans and just add LC'ing. A bit extra noise from radiator fans perhaps, but temps will be chilly.

SURPRISE: Not posting late @ night for once. Plan changed so today I can chill and recoup right now.

Drexel: I like that case. Nice setup and that motherboard is awesome. 3 extra pci case slots lol!
I prefer the looks of my CPU HSF, but when I go to a quad I'll probably keep all case fans and just add LC'ing. A bit extra noise from radiator fans perhaps, but temps will be chilly.

Whoa! It's still light out! :p

Thanks man! It took me awhile to get all the cables pretty much tucked away haha If you get the H100; it's radiator fans aren't too loud at all; the loudest fans on my case are the ones on the side panel and I only turn them all the way up when gaming.

So I started overclocked with modest results:

+75 mhz on the core with it boosting up to about 1220 mhz
+400 mhz on the memory so its above 7 ghz - not satisfied with it being stable just yet so i'll be testing some more

Not a great chip but still 240mhz above a reference 670 boost speed!

OMG, don't open the blind! I'll melt. Lol, stupid screen glare. It's easier to be on the PC for awhile at the end of a day.

Hmm, H100. I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind. Have to wait and see the temps on a quad with my big HSF before getting LC'ing for $100 or more ;).
When the fan on my GPU goes to 55-60% it's the loudest thing in my PC. Still pretty quiet though. All PC fans run around 1200 RPM.

That mem OC is pretty good. Performance should be real close to a single 680 now. :D

OMG, don't open the blind! I'll melt. Lol, stupid screen glare. It's easier to be on the PC for awhile at the end of a day.

Hmm, H100. I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind. Have to wait and see the temps on a quad with my big HSF before getting LC'ing for $100 or more ;).
When the fan on my GPU goes to 55-60% it's the loudest thing in my PC. Still pretty quiet though. All PC fans run around 1200 RPM.

That mem OC is pretty good. Performance should be real close to a single 680 now. :D

Oh yeah; it's actually pretty close in 3DMark to my 680 that I returned :D Which was factory overclocked and then I overclocked it some more! I'm impressed :D

Right!!!! Can't wait!

Btw, do you know how to set up a custom fan curve? Heard people mention it before but I've never used one lol

I use rivatuner for OC'ing and changing the fan speed, but I do it manually. 40-45% idle, 55-60% when gaming. Don't know if RT supports anything after 400 series. You can try evga precision program. I think it's the one that gives you some sort of graph with a couple points you can drag so the fan goes up depending on the temperature. The fan can speed up quickly or not so much.

Last edited:
I am using one for my 670 ftw, i think its just precision X fan control option that helps. Without having that selected i think my card was running around 71 degrees in game. I am also using a shitty case though.

I am using one for my 670 ftw, i think its just precision X fan control option that helps. Without having that selected i think my card was running around 71 degrees in game. I am also using a shitty case though.

What's your OC? I had +75 on core and +400 on mem and it was passing 3dMark11 fine and I played Skyrim for a bit and no problems; then I went to Unigine Heaven and it crashes almost immediately :mad:

What's your OC? I had +75 on core and +400 on mem and it was passing 3dMark11 fine and I played Skyrim for a bit and no problems; then I went to Unigine Heaven and it crashes almost immediately :mad:

I was running mine similar to yours maybe 100 less or 50 on the memory clock. I stopped using benchmarks though. I had a similar problem with the benchmarks except they would run and my games would crash.

Oh right, Evga Precision X is just the 10th version. That one is for 500 and 600 series. I'd try dialing either the mem back 25mhz or the core and see if UH crashes again. Some programs are more sensitive to OC, or less intense on core or mem OCs.

Oh right, Evga Precision X is just the 10th version. That one is for 500 and 600 series. I'd try dialing either the mem back 25mhz or the core and see if UH crashes again. Some programs are more sensitive to OC, or less intense on core or mem OCs.

Hmm..I dialed the mem all the way back to 200 mhz and it still crashed :mad: maybe its them core? I'll try that right now.

Edit: Dialed the core back some and it still crashed :/ So I rolled it all the way back and now I'm starting from scratch..damn lol

Last edited:
Man, don't just go off of UH. That's not even an actual game is it? Oh right, it's not. I had to check, seriously I didn't know it was just a benchmark.
If the card is stable in all other games you play and the temps are good I wouldn't sweat it.

Oh, don't forget about voltage. Sometimes that needs to be upped a lil bit. Although I undervolt my cpu anyways lol. 3.6ghz on my E8400 on less than stock voltage.

Green and Mean!

Man, don't just go off of UH. That's not even an actual game is it? Oh right, it's not. I had to check, seriously I didn't know it was just a benchmark.
If the card is stable in all other games you play and the temps are good I wouldn't sweat it.

Oh, don't forget about voltage. Sometimes that needs to be upped a lil bit. Although I undervolt my cpu anyways lol. 3.6ghz on my E8400 on less than stock voltage.

Green and Mean!

Haha true! Well, I figure if I test it till it's breaking point in Unigine then I'll start testing it in games and push it farther! :p

I'm at +60 core no crashes yet btw

Edit: Looks like +55 is the limit for Unigine

Haha true! Well, I figure if I test it till it's breaking point in Unigine then I'll start testing it in games and push it farther! :p

I'm at +60 core no crashes yet btw

Edit: Looks like +55 is the limit for Unigine
What's the max temp in Unique Engine?

Ever heard of FurMark? haha. If you want to "stress" a card to the breaking point, that would be it. http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ - Orange button that says "download furmark" - Latest version supports GTX 680, perhaps 670 also.

Beware: This is the program that will seriously make your GPU toasty. Watch the temps.

EDIT: "In short, when FurMark is detected, the GTX 580 is throttled back by the power consumption monitoring chips". Not sure if the 600 series acts the same way.

What's the max temp in Unique Engine?

Ever heard of FurMark? haha. If you want to "stress" a card to the breaking point, that would be it. http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ - Orange button that says "download furmark" - Latest version supports GTX 680, perhaps 670 also.

Beware: This is the program that will seriously make your GPU toasty. Watch the temps.

EDIT: "In short, when FurMark is detected, the GTX 580 is throttled back by the power consumption monitoring chips". Not sure if the 600 series acts the same way.

I've actually ditched Unigine and been using FurMark for the past 10 minutes lol! Keeps crashing at +55 :/ this is not cool!

EDIT: I'm getting a max of 66C while doing the 1080P benchmark

Okay annoying, its crashing at +200 on the memory. Should not ever crash this low; maybe its a driver issue? I'm on the 306.2 beta ones..hmm

Yeah I noticed my overclocks were causing driver crashes after I updated to these. Funny thing is when I reconfigured my clocks by lowering them, my fps seems to be about the same or higher than before the driver update.

Yeah I noticed my overclocks were causing driver crashes after I updated to these. Funny thing is when I reconfigured my clocks by lowering them, my fps seems to be about the same or higher than before the driver update.

Hmmm, interesting..

Yeah, could be drivers. Dang. I'm on 304.79 still. They're both beta so take that as you will. The latest is just for 660 Ti support and some other stuff.
The score chart says 800 pts for a GTX 260, doesn't say CPU. I tested and got 1180 points (19 FPS) then upped AA and got 1697 points (12FPS). Max temp was 72° @ 60% fanspeed. Turned on my side fan and temps rose slower but still hit 72°. Hmm, still good temps considering the fan is pretty quiet. It's pretty cool at night so I have fans blowing from outside right into the side of my PC lol.

Do note that furmark puts the GPU @ between 97 and 100% usage, mem is only at 10-20% though. No actual game stresses a GPU like this so temps in games will be lower. In games my temp is no higher than 60°. :D. Hmm, my TDP says 182W from Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer - http://www.geeks3d.com/20120807/gpu-caps-viewer-1-17-0-with-opengl-4-3-support/ - scroll down to the green download buttons with Black arrows. Dont click the blue download button near the top of the page. Its an ad.

Edit: Your TDP is 12W lower than my GTX 260 :p

Last edited:
Yeah, could be drivers. Dang. I'm on 304.79 still. They're both beta so take that as you will. The latest is just for 660 Ti support and some other stuff.
The score chart says 800 pts for a GTX 260, doesn't say CPU. I tested and got 1180 points (19 FPS) then upped AA and got 1697 points (12FPS). Max temp was 72° @ 60% fanspeed. Turned on my side fan and temps rose slower but still hit 72°. Hmm, still good temps considering the fan is pretty quiet. It's pretty cool at night so I have fans blowing from outside right into the side of my PC lol.

Do note that furmark puts the GPU @ between 97 and 100% usage, mem is only at 10-20% though. No actual game stresses a GPU like this so temps in games will be lower. In games my temp is no higher than 60°. :D. Hmm, my TDP says 182W from Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer - http://www.geeks3d.com/20120807/gpu-caps-viewer-1-17-0-with-opengl-4-3-support/ - scroll down to the green download buttons with Black arrows. Dont click the blue download button near the top of the page. Its an ad.

Download; my TDP says 170 W..

Downgraded to 301.42 WHQL. Passes FurMark with +200 mhz now and +55 mhz core..yep it was definitely the drivers lol

Downgraded to 301.42 WHQL. Passes FurMark with +200 mhz now and +55 mhz core..yep it was definitely the drivers lol
NICE!

Could always try the 304.79 but if the card passes with the whql drivers no need for beta unless you really need a certain feature of the 304.79.
Soon enough another whql driver will be out.

Last edited:
Be aware, that some games get quite a performance boost with those newer drivers, so even though you manage a higher overclock, you might actually get lower performance.

In addition to what Koween said, it may not be stable for 24/7 gaming anyway, if it was borderline before with just a different driver set. The newest 306.02 drivers helped me in some games, as well, performance-wise at same clocks.

In addition to what Koween said, it may not be stable for 24/7 gaming anyway, if it was borderline before with just a different driver set. The newest 306.02 drivers helped me in some games, as well, performance-wise at same clocks.

+1 to that. Also, screw synthetic benchmarks, if it's stable in games who cares about benchmarking lol

Didn't want to start a new thread and thought I could find an answer here re 660ti SLI and PSU.

I have this PSU.

I have a 3570k OC at stock voltage to 4.0 ghz. I have two HDs SSD/7500 combo. 5 system fans. MSI PE 660ti overclocked and maxed out with an EVGA 660ti step up card on its way. Will eventually be at 1440p res.

From what I've seen, 650 watts is recommended as the min PSU for a 660ti SLI setup. However, I have seen anecdotal posts of others claiming to have 670sli on efficient 600 watt PSU.

How do I tell if my PSU is efficient enough for the job? Does the 660ti draw on less power than a 670? Does my overvolted MSI card suck up a lot more power than a standard gtx 660ti?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Didn't want to start a new thread and thought I could find an answer here re 660ti SLI and PSU.

I have this PSU.

I have a 3570k OC at stock voltage to 4.0 ghz. I have two HDs SSD/7500 combo. 5 system fans. MSI PE 660ti overclocked and maxed out with an EVGA 660ti step up card on its way. Will eventually be at 1440p res.

From what I've seen, 650 watts is recommended as the min PSU for a 660ti SLI setup. However, I have seen anecdotal posts of others claiming to have 670sli on efficient 600 watt PSU.

How do I tell if my PSU is efficient enough for the job? Does the 660ti draw on less power than a 670? Does my overvolted MSI card suck up a lot more power than a standard gtx 660ti?

Minimum recommendations are based on garbage PSU's that most premade systems ship with, to prevent problems down the line. You could run 660ti SLI OC'd to the moon on that supply and be fine. My last rig, i7 3820 with 670 SLI barely pulled 400w from the wall while gaming (synthetic benches stressing CPU and GPU to 100% at the same time could make it much higher obviously), and I had the CPU at 5.0ghz and the GPU's at 1225mhz each. You will be perfectly fine as that is a pretty good unit.

I have this PSU.

Yeah dude you'll be absolutely golden with that PSU. Kepler draws a lot less power than any previous generation. I'm going to be running 670 sli on a 650 watt PSU lol

This is off-topic but Slyr, or anyone else - do you guys know who sells really thin 120mm fans? I want to but my H100 in push-pull but normal size fans are too big for my case. I don't have enough clearance to have two sets just the one :/ I might be able to get my 3570K to 5 GHz if I can put it in push pull :D

This is off-topic but Slyr, or anyone else - do you guys know who sells really thin 120mm fans? I want to but my H100 in push-pull but normal size fans are too big for my case. I don't have enough clearance to have two sets just the one :/ I might be able to get my 3570K to 5 GHz if I can put it in push pull :D

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s972/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-120mm_x_12mm_Fans-Page1.html

these three fans are the thinnest 120mm fans I know of, note they have very low pressure and might have trouble actually pushing air through a radiator.

Those 3 are the only ones I can think of that are thin like that. The thinness causes low pressure so they have to be run faster compared to thicker fans. Might not be worth it.
See below specs:

Fan Speed: 1600 RPM
Noise: 28.89dBA
Airflow: 38.05CFM

A normal 120mm fan can get 40 CFM @ 1200 rpm or lower and will be quieter versus the thin fans. Not all fans are made equal.

So the rad is on the top of the case there? Perhaps you can just install 2 normal 120mm fans on top of the rad blowing up. I know with the Cooler Master 690 you could have a fans with rad under the top of the case then 2 fans on the top of the case. Just gotta mod the plastic on top.

Those 3 are the only ones I can think of that are thin like that. The thinness causes low pressure so they have to be run faster compared to thicker fans. Might not be worth it.
See below specs:

Fan Speed: 1600 RPM
Noise: 28.89dBA
Airflow: 38.05CFM

A normal 120mm fan can get 40 CFM @ 1200 rpm or lower and will be quieter versus the thin fans. Not all fans are made equal.

So the rad is on the top of the case there? Perhaps you can just install 2 normal 120mm fans on top of the rad blowing up. I know with the Cooler Master 690 you could have a fans with rad under the top of the case then 2 fans on the top of the case. Just gotta mod the plastic on top.

Yeah I would have to mode the top of the case. But after doing some research, I find you only get about 2 degrees lower so all that hard work isn't really even worth it. But back on topic, my 2nd 670 comes in tomorrow :D

Back