GTX 580 rumors

If the GTX 580 performs 20% and uses 20% less TDP then the 480 it would put its perf/mm and heat/mm about on par with Cypress. Unless you think AMD has gone BACKWARDS on these figures (hint - they havent) it will not "dare I say, consume less power, cause less noise, and generate less heat" while outperforming it. No need for an open mind, just a sane one.

It's also rumored to be about 10% smaller than the GF100
- which would help with yields, power & clocks

Current rumors put the cards at a draw in performance, all that is left is optimizing the drivers for performance, something nvidia is known for more than AMD, yet everyone is assuming that the 6970 will outperform 580. What happens if it doesn't? Granted it may be a paper launch, but everything is just rumors at this point.

The 6970 rumors have come crashing down as well. Both of the cards look less stellar at this point. I know 6970 beating a GTX 580 is the popular rumor, but I'm keeping an open mind. After all I plan to buy the better one, however fanboys should be losing sleep, GTX 580 might actually outperform 6970 and dare I say, consume less power, cause less noise, and generate less heat :eek:

BTW not saying your a fanboy ;)

It's not that simple. Cayman seems to be a huge chip but it is still appreciably smaller than GF100. We don't know very much about GF110 yet but a even if a draw in performance may give nvidia some pause it will be a pyrrhus win if GF110 is of similar size as Gf100.

BTW. I know that Cayman is expected by many to beat GTX 480. I have not seen many be convinced that GTX580 will be easily beat though. I don't know where you've seen that. There are no real comparisons leaked between the two cards.

If the GTX 580 performs 20% and uses 20% less TDP then the 480 it would put its perf/mm and heat/mm about on par with Cypress. Unless you think AMD has gone BACKWARDS on these figures (hint - they havent) it will not "dare I say, consume less power, cause less noise, and generate less heat" while outperforming it. No need for an open mind, just a sane one.

The rumored TDP for the 6970 is 255W which is higher than Cypress by quite a bit, and it's leaked benchmarks shows that it is 20% faster than GTX 480 in benchmarks, real world gaming is still up in the air.

The rumored TDP for GTX 580 is 20% lower than GTX 480 which puts it around or every so slightly above Cypress which again could and should be Lower than Cayman. Benchmarks for GTX 580 are about 30-40% faster than GTX 480 and real world performance is said to be about 15-20% faster in game

Add that up together and the case in point is what I posted, Depending if the rumors are accurate, I'd think twice about poping your chest out in favor of either gpu easily beating the other. We're not talking about sanity here, we're talking about one either having tunnel vision or being delusional ;) Fact of the matter is that I will buy whichever one is better, I have no loyalty as neither one pays my bills. If Cayman is faster great I'll have 3, if 580 is faster, great I'll have 3 :)

It's not that simple. Cayman seems to be a huge chip but it is still appreciably smaller than GF100. We don't know very much about GF110 yet but a even if a draw in performance may give nvidia some pause it will be a pyrrhus win if GF110 is of similar size as Gf100.

BTW. I know that Cayman is expected by many to beat GTX 480. I have not seen many be convinced that GTX580 will be easily beat though. I don't know where you've seen that. There are no real comparisons leaked between the two cards.

What the strong rumors are saying is that GTX 580 GF110 is 10% smaller than GF 100 and all the GPGPU stuff has been gutted from the core. All that is left is the raw gaming hardware. Everything is fully enabled and the TDP is supposed to be 20% less than GF100 all with higher clocks and all the extra cores enabled. Less heat, less power draw, and a more quiet cooling solution, which can be seen on the pictures. The 580 looks a lot less beefy than a GTX 480 and it's heat pipes are not sticking out, meaning it requires less cooling. It is starting to add up.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether he hates Nvidia or not hes not wrong. 20% faster 480 is not likely to beat the 6970, and if they dont launch in large numbers Nvidia is doing it purely to please investors, as he said.

That performance level would match up with rumored Cayman figures, actually, and I'd bet 580 be faster than that margin. Of course nVidia is working to please investors... it's their duty to.

More solid rumors tonight, this time from: VRzone, sources: pconline.com.cn, enet.com.cn

"...eNet reports that GF110 effectively doubles the TMU count to 128 TMUs"

Oh my, really :D

"The net result is a performance improvement of between 15%-20% over the GTX 480"

"Against the Radeon HD 5870, the GTX 580 wins comfortably by an average of ~45%"

"according to these benchmarks, the GTX 580 will end up slower than AMD's previous-gen Radeon HD 5970"

"The GTX 580 is set to release in one week's time, on November 8th/9th (depending on where you live), but the jury is still out on the extent of availability on release. "

Rumors rumors rumors...

Last edited:
By the way here are more fresh rumors from Fuad:

"the new card has similar TDP to Geforce GTX 480, but its cooler is redesigned and works more efficiently than the previous one.

Don’t get carried away, as the card will be hot, with a TDP of slightly under 250W. It has to be hot, but at least it will be heavy and fancy looking."

"The new card is sampling to journalists right now. It should launch on Tuesday 9th but it's unclear at what time. It looks like it will be the morning hours of Tuesday, November 9th. "

...I will go back and correct the TDP back to what we originally arrived at then :D hehe

Alarming Thought: Is Nvidia pushing forward the GTX 580 launch because they know that the 6970 will beat it in performance? So rather than releasing a slower part later, they want to beat AMD to the punch before it is fully revealed how much faster the 6970 is? Hmmmmm.

Alarming Thought: Is Nvidia pushing forward the GTX 580 launch because they know that the 6970 will beat it in performance? So rather than releasing a slower part later, they want to beat AMD to the punch before it is fully revealed how much faster the 6970 is? Hmmmmm.

Decisions, Decisions.... Buy ASAP or wait???!?!?! :D

Marked calendar for November the 9th.

It makes no sense to buy the 580 on launch, unless you're loyal to the Nvidia brand.

The 580 is in catch up mode.

If they can clock the card to run faster then the 6970, then they will. I do think that short of a really bad design the 580 has to win. It will come out after the 6970 after all. So Nvidia has to have it be 10% faster or it will loose face. Just like with the 480, it might be hot and loud, but as long as it beats the 6970 it will be considered the single fastest card out there.

It makes no sense to buy the 580 on launch, unless you're loyal to the Nvidia brand.

Well it could make sense for someone who wanted to secure a card for them selves before it potentially sells out and becomes available again. Availability could be an issue with this card at first...

Well it could make sense for someone who wanted to secure a card for them selves before it potentially sells out and becomes available again. Availability could be an issue with this card at first...

Either way, what's the rush?

why is that alarming? a price war will only serve us. but (and I hate to say this) I think Charlie is right about the early launch. its not so much to do with the competition as the stockholders. if Nvidia is really soft launching this then they are not going to see any sales from doing this really. so I think it probably is something along those lines.

why is that alarming? a price war will only serve us. but (and I hate to say this) I think Charlie is right about the early launch. its not so much to do with the competition as the stockholders. if Nvidia is really soft launching this then they are not going to see any sales from doing this really. so I think it probably is something along those lines.

Charlie talks just so much nonsense, I don't know why anyone bothers with him anymore!
:(

Getting it out early is mainly a way of spoiling AMD's Cayman day, it seems to me.

If the GTX580 is faster (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), then AMD will be in the embarassing position of, for their big launch of the year, going 'Ta daa! - not quite as fast as the competition!'

If Cayman is faster (and as far as I can tell, it could be), then NV coming out first is a damage limitation exercise - better to be first & slower, than second & slower!

So, either way, it's better to be first.
;)

The problem is whether this card will be available on "launch" date.

Also, the 6970 isn't necessarily AMD's biggest launch, since they still have the 6990 coming out. But, meh.....

Wait...if 580 has 128 TMUs (rumor) then how many does GTX 480 have ?
is google broken? you could have your answer in 10 seconds you know. anyway, the gf100 has a possible 512 cores and 64 tmus but the gtx480 has 480 cores and 60 tmus.

is google broken? you could have your answer in 10 seconds you know. anyway, the gf100 has a possible 512 cores and 64 tmus but the gtx480 has 480 cores and 60 tmus.

Google sometimes fails me because it auto picks the latest related links which turned out to be a spam of GTX 580 rumor links about 128 TMUs. It would have taken me longer then 10 sec anyways cause I would have first had to find out what are TMUs with nVidias gf100 arch then figure out how many 480 had. Thanks for the answer though.

Will the GTX5xx have 3 proper outputs for a triplehead setup?

In leaked photos it has 2xDVI & 1 miniHDMI just like the GTX4xx (2 monitors max). It's gonna suck big time if you need an SLI setup to run 3 monitors.

Last edited:
tru that
but yeah nvidia apparently going to have mass quantity on 11/8 and suppose to shipping them out for reviews soon.......

tru that
but yeah nvidia apparently going to have mass quantity on 11/8 and suppose to shipping them out for reviews soon.......

its the 3rd,i hope reviewers already have them or else we'll see a bunch of sub-par reviews.

the 8th is monday and this whole gtx580 has rush rush rush written all over it. IMO if you want a 580, let the dust settle - i havea feeling there may be some who get bitten by a "rushed" 580 launch versus waiting a month until the dust settles.

i also have a feeling that Nvidia's AIB partners are feeling a bit of push and tug from Nvidia. Look at MSI they just got their Lightning 480GTX done (H's review was just recently put up) only to have all that time and effort and $$ swept under the rug by the 580. That tells me Nvidia just kindof sprung the 580 on them in the last little bit, i bet some AIBs aren't happy with Nvidia not being more transparent in with their plans.

I wonder how much 570 560 will costs
350/200?
I was just about to pull the trigger on 460s for backup then I tell myself I gotta wait for 560 q1 '11
be strong!!

I'm glad to see both ATI and Nvidia trying to one up each other again. It can only mean good things for us.

i also have a feeling that Nvidia's AIB partners are feeling a bit of push and tug from Nvidia. Look at MSI they just got their Lightning 480GTX done (H's review was just recently put up) only to have all that time and effort and $$ swept under the rug by the 580. That tells me Nvidia just kindof sprung the 580 on them in the last little bit, i bet some AIBs aren't happy with Nvidia not being more transparent in with their plans.

The whole GTX580 thing has happened so fast that NV have obviously being playing their cards close to their chest!
- but as for the MSI Lightning, I bet the GTX 580 will work really well on that board
- so MSI's effort is probably not wasted!
- roll on the Lightning GTX 580!
:cool:

Last edited:
I'm glad to see both ATI and Nvidia trying to one up each other again. It can only mean good things for us.

This exactly :D

I think we are looking at the prequels to a long and furious war towards and beyond 28nm!

6990 is going to be a serious threat to 580.. no sleep for Nvidia. Hopefully this means that they will be rushing 28nm as much as TSMC allows for, that is.

Back