GTX 460 - where is the Displayport?

I haven't seen any NVIDIA cards with a DisplayPort yet.. do they exist?

It doesn't have one. We might see an AIB card with it, but I wouldn't count on it. Display Port simply isn't popular enough yet. The only reason AMD went that route is likely due to wanting to support Eyefinity on a single card and adding another DVI/HDMI port wouldn't be feasible.

There's a Zotac one with it apparently though but it sucks according to Anand. Is it not worth waiting for better brands? Won't happen?

It doesn't have one. We might see an AIB card with it, but I wouldn't count on it. Display Port simply isn't popular enough yet. The only reason AMD went that route is likely due to wanting to support Eyefinity on a single card and adding another DVI/HDMI port wouldn't be feasible.

x2

I wouldn't count on it, atleast for this generation.

is there an advantage to a displayport? seems like a disadvantage to a lot of people

is there an advantage to a displayport? seems like a disadvantage to a lot of people

Not really... supposedly slightly laggier, otherwise just a low-usage connector that most don't bother with.

This, and frankly you want two cards to crank up a 5760x1200 display setup in any case.

OP, I was disappointed too when the 400 series didn't end up having Displayport. I've had this NEC monitor for a long time now, I don't see why they couldn't do one each of HDMI, DVI and Displayport.

That's the primary reason but AMD has publicly supported DisplayPort standard before Eyefinity, and it showed up on a few of their consumer level cards. AMD, Apple and Dell are actively promoting it.

There's several advantages to DisplayPort. It can carry multiple display streams over one cable enabling you to daisy chain monitors or have multiple DP outputs from one port. For example there is a single DisplayPort -> 3x Dual link DVI adapter in case you have a small laptop with only room for 1 port but want 3 monitors hooked up..

It also can carry secondary data streams such as USB or audio streams. You could hook up a monitor with a USB hub and speakers all with just 1 DP cable.

DisplayPort uses a single clock for all its video streams and can drive a panel directly, reducing the cost and size of both GPU's and display panel logic boards. Remember any die space you free up by dumping RAMDAC/TDMS generators you can replace with shader cores for faster GPU's, and smaller logic boards means thinner displays :)

It also is a royalty free standard. Any device with an HDMI port has to pay a small fee per port.

Last edited:
That's the primary reason but AMD has publicly supported DisplayPort standard before Eyefinity, and it showed up on a few of their consumer level cards. AMD, Apple and Dell are actively promoting it.

There's several advantages to DisplayPort. It can carry multiple display streams over one cable enabling you to daisy chain monitors or have multiple DP outputs from one port. For example there is a single DisplayPort -> 3x Dual link DVI adapter in case you have a small laptop with only room for 1 port but want 3 monitors hooked up..

It also can carry secondary data streams such as USB or audio streams. You could hook up a monitor with a USB hub and speakers all with just 1 DP cable.

DisplayPort uses a single clock for all its video streams and can drive a panel directly, reducing the cost and size of both GPU's and display panel logic boards. Remember any die space you free up by dumping RAMDAC/TDMS generators you can replace with shader cores for faster GPU's, and smaller logic boards means thinner displays :)

It also is a royalty free standard. Any device with an HDMI port has to pay a small fee per port.

damn you just sold me on displayport. until hdbase-t comes out.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back