Gsync 4k 144hz HDR monitor prices 'released'

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SilverSliver, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Ya more Hz the better of course until you get around 10,000 which would be virtual lifelike.

I'm just saying the step from 60 to 90/100 Hz is huge.

2. kasakka

kasakka Gawd

A fan in a display? The only way that is acceptable to me is if it's not audible and is a model that you can actually replace when it fails several years later because I sure as hell would not want to send my display to the manufacturer just for that. Does anyone know the purpose? Is it to help cool the FALD or what?

I may have been too optimistic about upgrading from my 1440p display this year.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

We really need someone brave (Vega? :D ) to open one up and see what kind of fan is used and how difficult it may be to replace.

And I stand surprised that this appears to be a common problem across monitors with this panel and backlighting setup- you'd think one of them might've thought that the fan was a little loud and worked to address the issue...

4. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

The fan is not loud on mine....but I did pre-order the X27 EK waterblock!

DanNeely, Armenius, Krisium and 2 others like this.
  5. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

I gave up ages ago and just got a 1440p 144hz 27 as I was bored of waiting.

Decided to check in and see what the prices were like here in Australia for these screens. $3500, which is $2700USD, yeah... nah. So Vive Pro isn't enough of an upgrade, 1080Ti replacement not in sight, monitors being too much for not enough of a leap (plus fans). Feels weird to have money burning a hole in my pocket. I've even changed my keyboard and mouse.

6. Maddness

Maddness Gawd

Bugger. That means at least 4k in NZ. That's bloody insane.

7. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Some TVs have fans in them just so you know. Idk of a complete list but I know some samsungs do. They can fail and the set will turn off giving a " there's a problem with the cooling fan. Your television will turn itself off to prevent overheating " message.

I know g-sync monitors used to overheat and could make the display blurry after they failed. I think they added a heatsink to the g-sync module after that but I don't think they added fan(s).

Armenius likes this.
  8. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

First time I've heard of a fan problem in a monitor though... I remember motherboards with fan problems but never a monitor. Their QA needs some work.

9. MrDeas

MrDeas n00bie

Not much positive news coming out for the Acer:

The 2k price isn’t doing it any favors, glad they are out of stock as I would have ordered already.

elvn and Q-BZ like this.
  10. elvn

elvn 2[H]4U

Even if the above quote from the video's comments section were true (no proof provided unlike the video review).. with hdmi 2.1 on the horizon in 2019... 4k OLED , 120hz native with VRR, QFT (quick frame transport) low latency. Hard sell at $2,000

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. Sancus

Sancus Gawd

I honestly don't understand why someone would design a monitor at this price point, and then put a 40mm fan(or something equally small) behind the VESA mount without any proper ventilation. Many people spending this much money on a display are going to use mounts/arms, even if the fan is OK on the regular stand.

Or seriously just use a larger fan, ventilated properly? Nobody is buying this thing because the case is slim. The fan placement smacks of either very lazy design or a last minute addition.

Otto likes this.
  12. bigbluefe

bigbluefe Limp Gawd

A fucking fan on a monitor of this price is laughable.

I bet this model is going to have HISTORIC failures 1+ year in. You can tell they had problems with the design, couldn't get it running properly, so just slapped a fan on it at the last minute and pushed it out the door.

13. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

There are many televisions more expensive than this monitor that have fans for cooling.

14. DanNeely

DanNeely 2[H]4U

How many of them use a fan small and fast enough to be audible.

If you need active cooling put in active cooling, but on something as a big as a monitor there's no reason not to use one big enough it never makes enough sound to rise above the noise threshold.

15. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

My TV had an audible fan on the Samsung connect box. Although you don't sit as close as you do to a monitor.

A LOT of energy is running through these FALD G-sync displays and that heat needs to go somewhere.

Regarding this video about the loud fan when mounted, a reddit user said the mount bracket was likely pu t on backwards.

"Now i saw a youtube video of some guy saying the fan has no airflow if you use a vesa mount. He complained it made the fan too loud to use. Well here is his problem.

https://imgur.com/f9BW3i0

This is the thing it comes with. This is not some kind of mounting bracket. This is technically a spacer to add more space between the monitor and the vesa mount specifically to give the fan some breathing room. It has a flat side and an open side. The guy just mounted the flat side against the fan instead of the open side. Both sides have the exact same screw holes and the thing didn't include any pictures so I guess not everyone can be expected to have the same level of common sense."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/co..._predator_x27/

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    GoldenTiger likes this.
  16. kasakka

kasakka Gawd

You are less likely to have a television very close to you. My Panasonic plasma probably had fans in it but you could not hear them in any situation.

A computer display is usually only about an arm's length from you and that makes a silent fan (or preferably just a big enough heat sink) important. I have taken a lot of steps making my computer silent so having an audible fan in a display is just not something I want to deal with. If Apple can make their iMacs be silent in most use cases then doing so for a display scaler should not be impossible.

17. Astral Abyss

Astral Abyss 2[H]4U

What a tard. This is why we have idiot warnings on everything nowadays.

Armenius likes this.