Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

I logged in like a month ago found my save data gone so I'm going to wait for the final...

I really hate my 1080P 27" monitor for FPS games but for Grim Dawn or any Top Down game it's amazing you can really see the details on a bigger monitor. Grim Dawn looks like a totally different game on a big monitor.

My theory is positional awareness is that as you steer your character in say Battlefield your eye carry you from one corner of the monitor to the other you can see more in front of you but where you are in the game is positional GPS awareness so basically I don't like my 27" 1080P for First persson shooter games.

WIth Grim Dawn or any top down RPG or Action RPG your character or characters basically remain on the screen on the center of the screen so your eye movement is less thus making top down RPG games ideal for big monitors.

I put my 27" about 3 feet away from me too on a end table on a box for the most part I was using it for console games but since I bought it two years ago I used it very little for PC game I just got is display port cable for it.

I really hate my 1080P 27" monitor for FPS games but for Grim Dawn or any Top Down game it's amazing you can really see the details on a bigger monitor. Grim Dawn looks like a totally different game on a big monitor.

My theory is positional awareness is that as you steer your character in say Battlefield your eye carry you from one corner of the monitor to the other you can see more in front of you but where you are in the game is positional GPS awareness so basically I don't like my 27" 1080P for First persson shooter games.

WIth Grim Dawn or any top down RPG or Action RPG your character or characters basically remain on the screen on the center of the screen so your eye movement is less thus making top down RPG games ideal for big monitors.

I put my 27" about 3 feet away from me too on a end table on a box for the most part I was using it for console games but since I bought it two years ago I used it very little for PC game I just got is display port cable for it.

waiting for the release myself.
and yea looks grim indeed :D

I bought GD a few months back but have yet to try it. I'm waiting a little while longer for the days to become a bit shorter, like mid to late Oktober, around Halloween time. Good idea, eh? ;)

I hope I can get some enjoyment out of it seeing as I became bored to death of Titan Quest during a recent,and first ever play through. This might as well be a TQ total conversion, only thing now the skill tree is horizontal lol.

Well I got to the end of Act III with some help along the way in Mulitplayer I hope Act IV is just as long this game looks amazing on a bigger monitor.......I thought the game would be longer I think Titan Quest was alot longer but I never got too far with that game due to motion sickness in the game. They have two people from Diablo II working on the game so maybe you will see a sequel or some DLC....

Well I got to the end of Act III with some help along the way in Mulitplayer I hope Act IV is just as long this game looks amazing on a bigger monitor.......I thought the game would be longer I think Titan Quest was alot longer but I never got too far with that game due to motion sickness in the game. They have two people from Diablo II working on the game so maybe you will see a sequel or some DLC....

Titan Quest was a bit too long.... And I hate even saying that.

I also hope Act IV is good. Based on the screenshots I've seen, we might actually get a bit of a new color pallete! Snow for sure.... Dungeons tile-sets also look really nice.

Expansion packs are most definitely in the works. Depending on how you purchased the game, the first expansion will be free. (Kickstarter/Website, not Steam Early Access unfortunately, for me.)

I really hope there is more content outside of act 3 and 4 replaying the game has little interest to me unless they keep adding on more acts..

Shrines yeah it's just a tweak

Have about 80 in the game right now. Very happy with it. More complete than some released games IMO. Can't wait for the rest of it to hit. Devotion system looks awesome.

First part of Act 4 is out today. According to the email update they are planning for final release in February.

Just seen the update to the game cool beans..... it's only part one of Act 4 though but been waiting around...

Last edited:
Patch notes.

Build 28: Devotion and Act 4 Part 1 Update
Hearken to the call! The time has come to leave the confines of Homestead, pass through the Darkvale gate and venture on through the unforgiving wilds of the Asterkarn Mountains. Within the desolate Fort Ikon, further mystery awaits and troubling events unfold...

Along with this stretch of new content, ending in a new boss battle, we're also rolling out the much awaited Devotion system. The level cap has also been raised to 60.

Devotions provide a new layer of skill customization, changing the feel of character progression, greatly expanding build diversity and adding hours of theory-crafting! Devotion points are earned by restoring broken or corrupted shrines found throughout the world and then spent among a giant sky map of constellations. Each constellation has its own lore, adding to the flavor of the world, stat bonuses on each star and the potential to unlock Celestial Powers, which are attached to your class skills and triggered in different ways. Access to higher tier constellations is unlocked by accumulating devotion among five different affinities: Chaos, Order, Eldritch, Primordial and Ascendant.

The remainder of Act 4, which will take you into Necropolis and then down into the final dungeon, is virtually complete and just awaiting polish work and animation of the final boss. It should roll out near the end of the year.

We hope you enjoy the new content and are very excited to see people's reactions to Devotion, which we've all enjoyed playing with and believe adds a lot of new depth and fun to Grim Dawn.

For the full list of changes, take a look below:

v0.3.6.3(b28)

[Major New Features]
The area beyond the Darkvale Gates has been unlocked, granting you access to the Black Legion stronghold of Fort Ikon and the wilderness around it.
The Devotion System is now available. Venture out into the world and uncover shrines dedicated to the deities and celestial symbols of old. Restore them to their former glory in order to harness their power and unlock new bonuses and effects.
The Devotion System is the final layer of character customization in Grim Dawn, offering you a staggering amount of choices to augment your builds and add your personal touch, helping make your builds even more unique. Spend up to 50 points in the Devotion UI across 434 stars and unlock 50 unique Celestial Powers!
With the release of new areas to explore, the level cap has been increased to 60.

[Art]
Caster weapon art updated to feel more appropriate for melee combat, with larger blades and heftier scepters
Updated the mesh and texture on the Occultist's Familiar pet
Updated art for various structures and environments in Devil's Crossing, Lower Crossing and Burrwitch. Added signs to more buildings, providing you more insight into the daily lives of people in Cairn.
Added signs to the various mines in the Arkovian Foothills and Old Arkovia

[Animation]
Updated animations and timing on the Flesh Hulk's two default attacks.

[Tech]
Updated the method by which areas are loaded as you move around the world, resulting in reduced CPU load and significantly improved performance. The performance gains will depend on your hardware configuration.
Various calculation processes have been optimized, resulting in up to a 10% gain in framerates. These changes may cause your equipment to reroll their stats, resulting in different values. This may cause you to lose, or gain, some attributes.
The Always Show Loot Filter is now stored on a per-character basis. You can change the loot filter set for your character by pressing the new button on the left side of the HUD.
Item stacking has been overhauled. You can now split item stacks without resorting to weird tricks. Item stacks also no longer count as individual items, resulting in smoother connections in Multiplayer. The stack size for crafting materials has been increased significantly.
Fixed an issue resulting in a stuck cursor when using Windows scaling
Fixed a bug where certain loot containers would not respect their minimum and maximum level range
All damage calculations on the Character Sheet now include Conversion
Added armor absorption to the Armor Rating tooltip on Character Sheet Tab I
Removed the Complete Components button for the extra inventory bags. The main inventory's combine button will now complete Components throughout the entire inventory.
Fixed certain skill damage calculations double dipping from active buffs
Mind controlled monsters will now award the appropriate reputation when killed
Fixed an instance where spamming certain skills could cause the player to attack itself
Fixed an issue with beam spells (ex. Aether Ray) that would allow you to cast them while moving
Fixed an issue with beams spells that would allow you to accelerate the casting speed of other skills

[Game]
Nemesis spawns now have a 100% chance to spawn in a session, if you meet the Faction requirements
Loot Chests and Orbs from Nemesis and Bounty targets will now generate loot at the level of the monster, and not the area they are opened in (ex. a level 40 Bounty target appearing in a level 15 area will now drop level 40 loot instead of level 15 loot)
Fabius "the Unseen" Gonzar has received a tuning pass, with a reduction to his damage burst and an adjustment to his Blade Barrier. Blade Barrier has a longer cooldown and reflects far less damage, but now also deals Pierce retaliation.
Increased the spawn rate of Kymon's Chosen and Order of Death's Vigil heroes, if you meet the Faction requirements
Lore notes you've already read will no longer appear in the world
Balancing adjustments to many different enemies / enemy skills.
The difficulty jump from Normal to Veteran is more pronounced now, with the result that Veteran should be more challenging. We've done a lot of work though to reduce damage spikes, so it should be a little easier to handle the increase.

[Itemization]
% Conversion on MI (Monster Infrequent) one-handed weapons and helms replaced to reduce excessive Conversion stacking, particularly while dual wielding
Shield Block Recovery cooldown significantly reduced on all shields. Shield damage blocked has been adjusted in some cases, but the net result is a buff to the defense provided by shields.
Updated Retaliation values on items of Rare and above quality, particularly chance of Retaliation values. This is a general buff primarily focused on Rare and Monster Infrequent items, but some Epics were affected as well.
All Component Blueprints are now sold by Faction Quartermasters at Respected status. They no longer drop from monsters/chests.
Epic - Guardsman's Raiment: replaced Block Recovery 2-piece bonus with 6% Defensive Ability
Epic - Menhir's Touch set: renamed to The Apothecary
Epic - Miasma set: updated set bonuses and stats on Torso and Helm
Epic - Shieldmaiden's Guard: replaced Block Recovery with 5% Defensive Ability
Relics: removed % Experience from the list of possible completion bonuses. Increased values on bonuses against specific monster types and increased % attribute combination bonuses.
Relic - Desolation: increased the Electrocute damage to 24
Relic - Haunt: Increased the radius of the activated skill to 5 and increased the damage. The skill now also reduces Aether Resistance. Resistance reduction increased to -30%.
Relic - Juggernaut: reduced % Physical damage to 28%
Relic - Mistborn Talisman: updated values on Troll Rage based on changed to Shaman's Savagery in the B27 Hotfix 1 and 2 to bring this skill in line
Relic - Sacrifice: increased the cooldown on the activated skill, but slightly increased the flat Vitality damage
Relic - Slaughter: increased % Pierce damage to 20%, added 5-8 Pierce damage. Increased the damage, energy cost and number of targets and reduced the cooldown on the activated skill.
Relic - Torment: increased chance of activating the skill to 33%, added 5% Cast Speed, replaced Chance of % Current Life Retaliation with 8 Vitality damage
Class prefixes: the % damage modifiers have been replaced with appropriate attribute modifiers that will scale better in the long-term, while also reducing tooltip bloat
Rare prefixes: updated rare Shield prefixes with proc effects to trigger off of blocks rather than hits taken
Rare prefix - Bloodletter's: added 3% Offensive Ability bonus in addition to a significant buff to its chance of Bleed Retaliation
Rare prefix - Formidable: reduced % Physical damage bonus
Rare prefix - Paladin's: increased % Pierce resistance and damage reduction from Undead
Rare prefix - Plague Bearer's: added % Poison Duration
Rare prefix - Renegade: removed % Physical Resist and updated the slow to scale with the level of the affix.
Rare prefix - Stonehide: added % Poison resist
Rare suffix - Incantations: replaced % Elemental damage with % Total damage, energy regen replaced with % Spirit
Rare suffix - Redoubt: reduced Block Recovery bonus based on level of the affix, but increased the health bonus
Component - Aether Soul: increased % Aether damage to 12% and Aether Resistance to 8%
Component - Aethersteel Bolts: significantly increased the damage on Aether Tendril, slightly reduced its cooldown, but increased the energy cost
Component - Arcane Lens: increased elemental Damage to 2-6, up from 2-4
Component - Black Tallow: increased % Chaos damage to 12% and Chaos Resistance to 8%
Component - Blessed Steel: added 10% Conversion to Elemental
Component - Blessed Whetstone: increased Pierce Ratio modifier to 50%
Component - Corpse Dust: this component can now also be used on Medals
Component - Devil-Touched Ammo: added 10% Conversion to Fire, increased chance of % Total damage
Component - Dread Skull: increased % Pierce damage to 12%. This component can now also be used on Medals.
Component - Ectoplasm: this component can now also be used on Medals
Component - Focusing Prism: added 8% Crit damage
Component - Mark of Dreeg: added % Acid damage and Conversion to Acid. Increased damage on skill and slightly reduced cooldown.
Component - Roiling Blood: this component can now also be used on Medals
Component - Soul Shard: increased % Vitality damage to 12%. This component can now also be used on Rings.
Component - Vengeful Wraith: increased % Cold damage to 12%, but reduced % Coldburn damage to 15%. This component can now also be used on Rings.
Component - Wardstone: this component can now also be used on Medals
Components: updated Poison Bomb and Noxious Poison Bomb to instead leave behind a pool of bubbling venom which will continue to poison enemies that step into it
Components: adjusted damage on Greater Ice Spike, Greater Fireblast, Noxious Poison Bomb and Empowered Lightning Nova. Lightning Nova was performing a little too well, while the rest were lagging behind it, so the difference was equalized.
Components: adjusted the aura skills (ex. Lightning Aura). Added % damage over time bonuses in addition to direct % damage bonuses. Adjusted secondary effects, such as making the slow on Chill Aura affect Total Speed and not just run speed.
Components: reduced % Weapon damage on Component weapon attacks by 20% (ex. Slam). Oleron's Might was reduced by 40%, but the physical damage was increased and the cooldown reduced by 0.5s
Faction - Weapons crafted from Faction blueprints that do not deal primarily Physical or Pierce damage have been udpated to offer more of their damage type baseline, instead of being purely Physical (ex. a Vitality-based Order of Death's Vigil gun will do less Physical damage, but have baseline Vitality damage).
Faction - Binding Powder: replaced % Pet damage bonus with % Vitality resistance for Pets
Faction - Keeper's Binding Dust: replaced % Pet damage bonus with % Vitality resistance for Pets

[Class & Skills]

Soldier
Reworked Overguard
Reworked Veterancy
Added new shield passive that inherited some of the bonuses from Veterancy
Reworked Menhir's Bulwark and Oleron's Rage. They are now toggled exclusive skills similar to those available to Shaman.

Demolitionist
Mortar Trap: slightly reduced damage scaling with rank on the base mortar, but increased the damage scaling on The Big One

Occultist
Vulnerability: now starts lower but scales faster to same resist reduction by level cap. Intention is to make investment beyond the first point more attractive.

Nightblade
Shadow Strike: added Cold damage
Nidalla's Justifiable Ends: increased % Poison modifier
Nidalla's Hidden Hand: moved to tier 3 to make it easier to start melee poison builds. Skill has been rebalanced for earlier access.
Nightfall: increased Cold and Frostburn damage

Arcanist
Aether Ray: reduced Aether damage scaling with rank
Disintegration: reduced % Critical Damage bonus

Shaman
Briarthorn Ground Slam: Increased the radius

Thanks for the heads up!

Been waiting on this build for a longgg time....

Guess I better reinstall :cool:

It is with great excitement that we announce today the release of Build 29! With this major update, Grim Dawn has now become Feature and Content Complete! This is a tremendous milestone for the game and we are proud of the work that has gone into bringing it this far. We could not be more thrilled to share it with you.

What Content Complete means to you, the players, is that you now have full access to all of the game’s content, items and difficulty modes. Nothing is blocked off, no quests remain that cannot be completed. There is no cruel Clone of John Bourbon awaiting you at the end of the line to tell you that you must wait for the next update. Starting today, you have the full experience from start to finish.

With Build 29, the finale of the story is now accessible. You can venture into the Necropolis and thwart the vile plans of the Cult of Ch’thon as they seek to resurrect the Herald of Ch'thon and usher in the end times. But that is not where things end. After defeating the final boss, you can restart the game on Elite and, eventually, on Ultimate difficulty, where the greatest challenges await. Also included in this update is our second Roguelike dungeon: the Bastion of Chaos. Only the bravest adventurers should seek out this pit of despair in the deepest reaches of the Void. Finally, with the level cap increased to 85, you have a chance to discover over 500 new Unique items, including Empowered Epics and over 240 pieces of Legendary tier equipment.

Looking to the future, Build 30 will be released in early 2016 and will include balance changes, bug fixes and polish to all aspects of the game as we prepare to take Grim Dawn out of Early Access around February.

We hope that you enjoy the update and wish you a Happy and Safe holiday season!

- Arthur Bruno and the Team at Crate Entertainment

For the full list of changes, you can visit the forum.
Rate up

Looking to the future, Build 30 will be released in early 2016 and will include balance changes, bug fixes and polish to all aspects of the game as we prepare to take Grim Dawn out of Early Access around February.

*blinks

Wow. It's finally time.

Just loaded this up for the first time since, well a while.

I can't even begin to describe the difference between now and Oct 2014 when I initially bought in.

It doesn't even feel like an alpha anymore. Everything is fleshed out. Hell, there are even proper load screen wallpapers now lol

Also doesn't hurt that I can finally play the game maxed out. (the old 6950 keep me at a stuttery medium-based setting)

Anyways, very impressed. At this point, I see no reason why anyone should still be hesitant in purchasing this.

*two thumbs way up

It is a great game indeed. Amazing the work they have done on it. Followed the progress for a long time.

I played online a few times some guy showed me lots of stuff in Act 3
I'm in Act 4 which is pretty because of all the snow.

Bought this and finished a playthrough on normal as a melee shaman - took about 18 hours. Died twice: Once to the boss in the prison, hit me with a point blank shotgun attack for 4k hp. Second was to a hero before the final boss that dealt way too much vitality damage. Game was pretty much what I expected - an updated Titan Quest. Overall I was quite satisfied with it. Honestly Titan Quest was TOO long for a single playthrough.

I was actually hoping they'd have toned down the amount of damage types from TQ but it looks like they may have even added more. It's so hard to itemize and gear defenses when there's 12+ damage types.

The only thing that really stuck out to me as being unfinished was the voice acting. I'm not sure if they intend to voice all of the quest dialog (I understand they're working under a tight budget) but at least giving the vendors different voices would help a lot. The final boss was obviously using placeholder audio so there's hope there.

I found it interesting that there are sealed off and hidden areas that you can go back to and unlock with higher level monsters. I didn't have a chance to do the rougelike dungeons yet either (apparently there's two of them? I didn't go looking...)

Also felt like I missed a lot of the shrines for the constellation tree. Think I only had something like 13 points by the end.

18 hours? That seems kinda short to me.
I think you can get 28 shrines on normal.

I'm sitting at 120 hours and still playing. Definitely got my moneys worth.
The world map is huge. Looks like they have enough room to add the same amount of content already in the game.

All of the class builds I have seen on B29 uses 25 constellation points, some with a little bit of hackery to get the most out of them.

So once the higher difficulties get released, it will probably unlock more. The thing with the shrine is that you'd have to be thorough and explore every part of the map.

I tried playing the game through veteran level, but things were getting too rough for my shaman and I haven't even gotten to Act 4 yet, but I will probably reduce the difficulty. The problem I have with the Shaman I have now is that single target kills through trash too slow (at least I feel it's slow) and AoE based (Primal Strike IIRC) build lacks survivability.

There is only 8 types of resists that you can get resistance for, barring the general ones like physical. For example, Acid and Poison resistance (former is a once off damage, the other is a dot) is from the same stat, similarly for Lightning/Electrocution, Fire/Burn, Cold/Frostburn etc etc. It's the damage increasing stat that gets complicated because the once off and dot damage increases are different stat.

Anyone get occasional stuttering in this? I've had this game for over a year now and it's never disappeared. It has, however, drastically improved and is pretty uncommon now, but does still occur every once in awhile. It's similar to what appears in this video, but happens fairly infrequently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okacoelbalI

Yeah, that still happens but much less frequently in the later builds.

Also, running the game in borderless window helps quite a bit.

But, it's definitely there. Hopefully the optimizing phase that's coming up will take care of it.

Great, thank you. Good to know I'm not the only person having this problem and it's not something in my rig that's causing it. Other than this minor blemish, for others who are still on the fence with this, this is an awesome, awesome game. Crazy amounts of content, awesome art style, and just fun battles. One of the best arpg's I've ever played.

Never had any video problems like that myself. Hopefully it is something they get fixed for your guys over the next month.

Higher difficulties are unlocked as long as you beat the last boss. I played on elite for a few hours earlier this week.

Here is a thread for finding the shrines, with helpful pictures.
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26777

Yeah, odd how some are seeing it and others aren't. I wonder what's the culprit here. In any case, I hope it's something from the developer's end that can be fully fixed eventually.

Yeah, odd how some are seeing it and others aren't. I wonder what's the culprit here. In any case, I hope it's something from the developer's end that can be fully fixed eventually.

rarely happens, its overall as smooth it can be.
lev75 playing with sis kid over generations, having a blast

BUILD 30 Released Yesterday!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting off 2016 with a bang, another big update has arrived with Build 30.

Following the game's Content Complete update in December, we can finally start looking at the finer details and focus on improving what's there rather than what we still have to add. The result of that is Build 30, the balance and bug fixing pass.

This update is heavy on Mastery changes, but there is plenty to find in the Itemization and Devotion department, as well as a few bug fixes.

For the full list of changes, see below:

v0.3.7.4 (b30)

***Please Note: due to changes in the Arcanist Mastery, the Reckless Power Transmuter (Unlimited Power) will be removed with Build 31. If you have any points in this skill, remove them prior to the February release, or else they will become lost to the Chthonic Void.***
***Due to changes to Devotion, you may need to reassign skills to certain Celestial Powers***

[Major New Features]
A tuning pass has been done on all Masteries to improve underperforming skills and general performance.
Added Devotion Shrine World Map icons. If you discover a shrine, but do not restore it, its location will be marked on the world map. When you restore the shrine, it will be checked off.

[Animation]
Added a new animation for Flame Breath skill from the Mask of Infernal Truth item
Added a new animation for Shadowflame skill from the Shadowflame Mantle item

[Art]
Updated the artwork for Cairn's world map.

[Tech]
Fixed a crash when opening the options menu on a system with no detectable network adapters.
Fixed full component stacks creating duplicate full stacks when auto completing components.
Fixed certain blueprints that would not work properly with different level Monster Infrequent items.
Fixed shrine offerings that would use multiples of the same item.
Completed Component icons are now more distinct compared to Partial Components.
Skill modifiers that require specific weapon types will no longer be applied if the appropriate weapons are not equipped, which could cause a loss of damage (ex. Tremor Transmuter).
Fixed conversion on buffs not being included in DPS comparison calculations.
Fixed secondary pet skills overwriting Celestial powers attached to base pet skills.
Holding CTRL while comparing weapon DPS will now also hide augments.
Fixed buffs/debuffs created from Celestial Powers not using their appropriate level.

[Game]
The Final Boss encounter has received a tuning pass. On Normal/Veteran difficulty, the boss now summons chthonians with reduced frequency and the summons have less health. The Tentacle summons have had their health reduced and no longer cast additional Void Zones. The Void Zones last for a shorter duration. The amount of Chaos and Vitality damage dealt by the boss has been reduced. On Elite/Ultimate difficulty, the boss has received a slight damage bonus on several of its abilities and some of its spawns are now more dangerous. On all difficulties: diversified the damage dealt by the boss's summons so that a more general spread of resistances will be required rather than stacking Chaos and Vitality resistance. The boss's Chaos Barrage now deals a combination of Fire and Chaos damage, instead of Vitality and Chaos damage. The area in front of the boss has been slightly enlarged and more pets can now target it at the same time.
Added an additional chest to the Final Boss as reward for overcoming the challenge
Ultimate difficulty enemy OA / DA scaling reduced. Enemy life and damage bonuses reduced. Slight adjustments to Ultimate as well.
Destroying the 3 Blood Wagons now opens the Final Crypt permanently. It is now possible to destroy the Blood Wagons across multiple sessions for the quest without having to destroy all 3 again.
It is no longer possible to open riftgates within the chamber of the final boss, but a shortcut now opens to the area upon defeating Bloodlord Thalonis which takes you to and from the tomb entrance.
Legendary item drop rates have been adjusted based on difficulty. They are now significantly reduced on Normal/Veteran difficulty, remain the same as before on Elite difficulty, and have been increased by about 40% on Ultimate difficulty.
Special chests in Roguelike dungeons (ex. the big chest after the final boss) now have an increased chance of dropping Legendary items to equalize them with the effort required
Due to their comparably limited spawn locations (in relation to other Nemesis bosses), the Nemesis spawns for the Kymon's Chosen and Order of Death's Vigil no longer have a 100% chance to appear
Epic item drop rates are now slightly increased on Elite difficulty, and then increased again on Ultimate difficulty.
Fixed an issue with the Bane of Cairn quest not rewarding a Legendary item if the player was too low level to receive one. The list of Legendary items you can receive from this quest has been reduced.
Slightly increased drop rate of Manticore Eye from Boss and Hero Manticores. Doubled the drop rate from Champion Manticores.
The Avatar of Mogdrogen is now easier on Normal difficulty, but instead drops an Epic version of his unique shoulders. He will continue to drop the Legendary shoulders on Elite and Ultimate difficulty.
To help emphasize the function and relative power of each, "%Total Damage" and "Damage Modified by %" have been changed to "%All Damage" and "Total Damage Modified by %" respectively.
Fixed an issue with shortcut rifts (ex. Obsidian Throne, Final Boss) disappearing if the area is unloaded
Increased spawns from Corrupted Devotion Shrines on Elite and Ultimate difficulty, with the exception of the Steps of Torment shrine, which had its armada of Bone Golems toned down
Increased the level gap between the player level and monster level before which rare crafting materials stop dropping by 10, making it feasible to farm up crafting materials on Elite before needing to move on to Ultimate.
Diversified damage dealt by Chthonian enemies so that they are not almost exclusively Chaos and Vitality damage
Reduced stun, freeze and other CC resists on heroes and bosses. Those without 100% resist will stay stunned, etc, a little longer, some of those that are immune have been brought lower, so that with resist debuffs, they can become stunnable, etc.
Player default Attack and Cast speed slightly increased
Loxmere Nightmade Energy Burn reduced and spawn set so that he will only appear at level 60+
Fixed a potential cause of the Obsidian Gate past the Fields of Despair getting stuck in a visually locked position. If this issue persists, please report it as a new bug.
Fixed an issue with Nemesis Troves remaining locked if the associated Nemesis is killed while pulled far enough away from the chest for it to become unloaded

[Itemization]
Performed a sweep on Magical affix loot tables, pruning generally undesirable combinations by level 20-30. For example, Level 25+ Magic weapons will always roll something that increases damage. Magic Medals and Belts can now also roll % Damage bonuses.
Rare-quality item drop rates increased by 30% at level 55+ from all sources
Faction armor Augments can now also be applied to belts
Slightly increased shield Physique Requirements in the mid-levels
Shield Recovery Time on shield items increased by around 20%
Increased flat and % damage bonus values on all two-handed guns by 15%
Increased the chance of rolling Rare affixes from crafting by 30% and the chance of crafting a double Rare by 25%
Rare - Squire's Handguards: replaced % Block Recovery with % Shield Damage Blocked
Faction - Survivor's Resilience: replaced % Block Recovery with % Health
Crafting - simplified the Blueprints for low level Epic items
Crafting - minor update for Shard of Beronath and Prismatic Diamond to replace duplicate material requirements in the Blueprints
Component - Mark of Dreeg: reduced duration of Poison damage on granted skill, slightly reduced damage
Component - Shard of Beronath: reduced % All Damage on skill, but added % Elemental Damage, removed Offensive Ability bonus
Components: increased Projectile Speed on: Ice Spike, Greater Ice Spike, Fireblast, Greater Fireblast, Poison Bomb and Noxious Poison Bomb
Relic - Avenger: replaced % Block Chance bonus with 5% Defensive Ability, increased % Elemental Damage to 50%. Ability now triggers on Hit rather than on Block
Relic - Aegis: ability now triggers on Attack rather than on Block, cooldown slightly increased
Relic - Bysmiel's Domination: increased duration and reduced cooldown on skill. Skill now also grants 30% resistance to Physical and Elemental damage for the player
Relic - Oleron's Wrath: reduced Offensive Ability to 50
Relic - Menhir's Bastion: replaced % Defensive Ability with 4% Block Chance, reduced % Shield Damage Blocked to 30%
Relic - Primal Instinct: sped up the spawn-in of the Swarmlings and increased their toughness against all damage
Relic - Troll Rage: slightly increased Physical Damage bonus and reduced Offensive Ability penalty on skill, but removed % Attack Speed bonus

Legendary Items
Legendary items have received a tuning pass. Most received various buffs or improvements to their stat distribution or skill allocation. This does not mean that Legendary items will never be adjusted again. We will continue to monitor feedback and make changes based on any issues that arise.
Fixed a variety of issues relating to Legendary item skills (ex. broken durations, missing summons, unusually low damage, missing/incorrect text, etc.)
Adjusted the item table for Legendaries so that level 50 Legendary items can still drop at max level
Added a new level 75 Legendary Sword (Reaver's Claw) for Physical/Pierce builds
Added a new level 75 Legendary 4-piece Set (Trozan's Ascension) for Cold/Lightning build favoring Arcanist and Shaman. The art for this set will be finalized in Build 31.
Added a new level 75 Legendary 4-piece Set (Valdun's Treachery) for Pierce/Physical 2h-Ranged builds favoring Soldier and Demolitionist. The art for this set will be finalized in Build 31.

[Class & Skills]
Taunt mechanics have been updated to be more effective. Warcry now taunts affected enemies while other skills generate additional threat (ex. Clean Sweep, Hellhound's Fire Claw, Briarthorn's Slam)

Devotion
Note: Due to changes to Devotion, you may need to reassign skills to certain Celestial Powers
Aeon's Hourglass: added % Aether Resist
Blind Sage: added % Cold, Fire and Lightning Resists
Chariot of the Dead: reduced Offensive Ability bonuses
Dying God: added % Chaos Resist
Leviathan: added % Cold Resist and % Health
Menhir's Obelisk: reduced % Shield Damage Blocked to 30%, increased Defensive Ability, Stun Resist and Freeze Resist
Mogdrogen: reduced % Offensive Ability for pets to 5%, added % Vitality and % Elemental Resist for the player
Oklaine's Lantern: reduced Offensive Ability bonuses
Oleron: added % Pierce Resist
Raven: reduced % Offensive Ability for pets to 5%
Shieldmaiden: reduced % Armor Absorption, % Block chance and % Shield Damage Blocked
Spear of the Heavens (Constellation): added % Aether and % Lightning Resist
Targo, the Builder: reduced % Shield Damage Blocked to 20% and reduced Defensive Ability
Tree of Life: added additional Health Regen
Ulzuin's Torch: added % Chaos and Fire Resist
Unknown Soldier: added % Health and Health Regeneration
Blizzard: slightly reduced damage
Elemental Storm: proc rate increased to 25%, now also reduced Elemental Resistance on affected enemies
Healing Rain: now activates on Any Hit rather than on Block
Living Shadow: increased damage
Meteor Shower: now drops several waves over a duration rather than a single wave. Damage adjusted accordingly
Spear of the Heavens (skill): increased proc rate to 50%, added 1s Stun
Trample: increased cooldown to 1s, slightly reduced % Weapon Damage
Time Stop: increased proc rate to 30%, from 25%
Tsunami: % Weapon damage now scales slightly with rank, but starts lower
Whirlpool: increased damage
Fixed an issue with Wendigo Totem not triggering the Bat Fangs Celestial Power

Soldier
Soldier mastery life bonus reduced from 30 per point to 28 while energy has increased from 8 to 10
Menhir's Will: cooldown now decreases with rank to 16s at rank 16, 12s at max ultimate rank. To balance this, duration has been cut from 10s to 8s.
Markovian's Advantage: Defensive Ability reduction amount increased in the first two ranks (which also bumped up later ranks) and physical damage scaling increased and animation speed increased.
Blade Arc: animation speed increased slightly
Discord: bonuses updated. Now converts up to 50% of Physical damage to Elemental.
Veterency: Health Regeneration increased at higher ranks, significantly at ultimate ranks
Forcewave: Physical Damage scaling with rank increased
Tremor: reduced % Weapon damage penalty on from -75% to -70% and damage modifier from -30% to -20%
Military Conditioning: % Health bonus decreased, % Physique increased moderately
Oleron's Rage: % Attack Speed moved back to Squad Tactics and % Offensive Ability slightly reduced
Squad Tactics: % Attack Speed returned, % Movement Speed shifted to Oleron's Rage
Overguard: Block Recovery now starts lower but scales more quickly in early ranks. Starting Health Regen also reduced to promote early investment.
Shield Training: Block Chance and Block Recovery moderately reduced and Physical Damage bonus slightly reduced
Blindside: Enemy Damage Reduction removed as it was redundant with Warcry and the skill is powerful enough without it
Warcry: Enemy Damage Reduction scaled down

Demolitionist
Blackwater Cocktail: damage increased slightly and max radius scaled up from 5m to 5.8m
Fire Strike: damage scaling with rank increased
Explosive Strike: % Weapon Damage scaling with rank increased. % Chance of Physical Damage now scales with rank, instead of being a flat 33%.
High Impact: resistance reduction removed. This modifier seems compelling enough without resistance reduction and it reduced the value of the debuff on other skills.
Lightning Arc: Lightning and % Fire Damage significantly increased
Brimstone: Fire and Chaos Damage significantly increased. Fragment number scales higher.
Demon Fire: % Burn Damage and Armor Reduction scaling with rank increased
Stun Jacks: Physical and Lightning Damage increased
Quick Jacks: Damage Modifier adjusted relative to base skill damage changes. Energy reduction increased.
Full Spread: Electrocute Damage increased. Internal Trauma damage added. Max projectile count decreased by 1.
Canister Bomb: Damage slightly reduced, Cooldown adjusted from 7.5s to 8s and Fragments now have a min number 2 less than the max.
Concussive Bomb: Transmuter Stun duration adjusted down, Reduced Damage Modification increased by 5% higher at max rank.
Grenado: Radius slightly increased, Physical and Pierce Damage increased. Physical damage range tightened up for greater consistency.
High Impact: Fire Damage now starts lower but scales to a higher max and the Chance of % Physical starts higher and now scales to 75%, up from 50%
Thermite Mine: Damage and Radius increased. Added chance to cause Fear.
Mortar Trap: Attack Rate increased
Ulzuin's Chosen: % Damage Bonuses increased
Vindictive Flame: Radius slightly increased
Blast Shield: converted to a skill that activates on 75% health, providing a significant defensive boost for a short duration.

Occultist
Summon Familiar - Mend: flat heal scaling boosted at mid and higher ranks
Blood of Dreeg: cooldown reduced from 24s to 12s, allowing it to be continuously active. %Heal now scales from 15% to 25% by rank 16 and 30% at max ultimate rank and regen scaling reduced slightly.
Armor of the Guardian: Poison Resistance now scales to 100% by rank 12 and 150% by max ultimate rank
Solael's Witchfire: Chaos Conversion swapped with Consecrated Blade's % Offensive Ability bonus, % Poison Damage increased. It seemed better to make the conversion optional.
Consecrated Blade: % Offensive Ability swapped for Chaos Conversion, added % Fire Damage bonus
Bloody Pox: Bleed and % Current Life damage scaling increased while cooldown and contagion interval has been reduced.
Wasting: Vitality Damage slightly increased
Possession: has been converted into a toggled exclusive buff skill
Sigil of Consumption: radius now scales up with level.

Nightblade
Shadow Dance: dodge and deflect values increased slightly
Elemental Awakening: Cold Resist changed to Elemental Resist.
Phantasmal Blades and its transmuter have been reverted to their original form, where the transmuter, renamed "Frenetic Throw" removes cooldown. The skill and transmuter have received corresponding damage and penalty adjustments. It was always preferred that the skill should work that way but prior to our addition of Total Damage Modification, it was not possible to adequately balance the transmuter.
Lethal Gambit: Pierce and Cold damage increased and range on the Cold Damage removed for greater consistency. Cooldown reduced from 2.5s to 2s
Blade Spirit: Attack Aura damage and Blade Shower damage increased significantly
Veil of Shadows: Radius scaling increased from 5m to 6m at max rank
Ring of Steel: Range increased slightly
Phantasmal Armor: Energy Leech retaliation increased, Pierce Resist increased and Freeze Resist added
A minor to moderate damage trim has been undertaken to Dual Blades, Belgothian's Shears, Amarasta's Quick Cut, Whirling Death and Execution to bring down Nightblade clear speed a little.

Arcanist
Reckless Power and its modifier, Ascendance have been redesigned as Exclusive skills intended for Aether/Fire and Cold/Lightning builds, respectively. Both Exclusive skills are in Tier 9
The Reckless Power transmuter, Unlimited Power, no longer affects any skill and will be removed with Build 31. UNLEARN THOSE POINTS OR THEY WILL BE LOST TO THE CHTHONIC VOID.
Proliferation has had its damage significantly increased. These additional fragments now deal Aether damage and are visually distinct from the regular fragments. Moved to Tier 8
Conversion: bonus values adjusted so the skill does not give such a large return at a single point. Bonuses scale up to their original values by rank 12 and remain unchanged at ultimate ranks.
Maiven's Sphere: Projectile Avoidance removed. %Cast Speed penalty and -%All Damage replaced with scaling Total Damage Modified by -%. Damage absorption now scales less quickly to 25% at rank 12. Previously, this skill only really penalized casters and was too attractive for melee.
Olexra's Flash Freeze: freeze duration increased, radius expanded from 10 to 16 meters at max rank, damage increased and cooldown reduced
Devastation is now truly devastating and launches multiple waves of projectiles at intervals over a duration as you fight.

Shaman
Wendigo Totem: % Heal increased
Mogdrogen's Pact: Health Regeneration increased slightly
Heart of the Wild: % Health scaling with rank increased
Oak Skin: Pierce Resist and Armor scaling with rank increased. Added % Health Regeneration bonus.
Devouring Swarm: Bleed Damage and Damage Converted to Health increased
Primal Strike: the Area of Effect aspect of this skill now functions with Two Handed Ranged Weapons and damage has been increased.
Torrent: now strikes from the initial target hit by Primal Strike rather than from the caster
Thunderous Strike: can now be used with Two Handed Ranged Weapons and the % Weapon Damage and % Total Damage Modifier penalties have been reduced.
Emboldening Roar: % All Damage and Offensive Ability increased, Physical and Vitality Resist added. Duration and Cooldown reduced.

I bought it off Amazon, so looking forward to playing it soon. Clearing out other games I have in my backlog like AC: Syndicate. I think I'll play Grim Dawn next before GTA5 & Shadowrun Hong Kong, though.

I bought it off Amazon, so looking forward to playing it soon. Clearing out other games I have in my backlog like AC: Syndicate. I think I'll play Grim Dawn next before GTA5 & Shadowrun Hong Kong, though.

Yeah, a great, great game. And they just keep on improving it - amazing!

Build 31: Voice-overs, Intro and Polish Pass
Build 31: Voice-overs, Intro and Polish Pass :: Grim Dawn General Discussions

After all these years, we have finally arrived at the finish line. Build 31 marks the last pre-release build for Grim Dawn, and it is here! We are proud of the work the team has put in to bring you the game and we hope that you enjoy the culmination of our efforts.

With this update, we have polished nearly every aspect of Grim Dawn, from performance and environments to class balance and itemization. You can now play through the main storyline with fully-voiced NPCs and start a new character with our animated intro. Achievements have also been unlocked for the achievement hunters out there.

As always, we will be monitoring the forums for any unexpected issues, which we plan to address in upcoming hotfixes as we prepare to take Grim Dawn out of Early Access.

For the full list of changes, visit the forum.

Back