Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

Since posting in here a few weeks ago it got me wanting to roll another character. Plus all this talk about diablow 4 really made me want do some dungeon crawling again, well some good dungeon crawling anyway. I'd say it's all horrowshow's fault tbh :) Current running a Reaper @lvl 74 rn. So satisfying. Still easily thee best single player ARPG experience to date. Gameplay and visuals hold up very well.

I don
Since posting in here a few weeks ago it got me wanting to roll another character. Plus all this talk about diablow 4 really made me want do some dungeon crawling again, well some good dungeon crawling anyway. I'd say it's all horrowshow's fault tbh :) Current running a Reaper @lvl 74 rn. So satisfying. Still easily thee best single player ARPG experience to date. Gameplay and visuals hold up very well.
I don't know - truth be told i think i prefer titan quest over grim dawn.

Titan Quest is also very good, but does feel a a bit dated. It's much slower going than modern arpgs for sure. It kinda lacks the oompf of modern games, skills seem a little underwhelming. I always liked the way the cave system worked, seamlessly. Kinda wish GD was like that instead of having to go to a load screen every time.

++ Grim Dawn is on Steam Sale at the moment, for anyone looking for a D4 alternative. ++

BTW, if you still want to use Grim Internals and only own the Steam version:

"On steam go to grim dawn and click properties then go to beta. You will see a box, click it and change to 1.1.9.7"

That was DEFINITELY not my suggestion to the devs what-so-ever......

- Outside of that, it has recently been discovered that Dawn of Masteries is currently buggy (mostly due to bloat / too many mods). Plus, the modder's main priority is obviously GDStash over DoM soooo:

At the moment, I'd recommend Grimarillion over DoM:
(Don't FORGET to download/install v86, then the 86a hotfix)
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/rel-grimarillion-v86a/46587
- Latest respective Grimarillion Rainbow Filter (copy the zip file DIRECTLY to your "localization" sub-directory, and select it under the Language option unlike regular Rainbow Filter which "just works")
Grimarillion v86a Rainbow v06
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/uploads/short-url/6b3gjC5tWFD9ZRr5nYOV4V1Vk5B.zip

*Yes, Grimarillion v86a works with both v1.1.9.7 AND v1.1.9.8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Props to The Toe!, horse, and lagavulin for continuing to recognize a FANTASTIC ARPG!! (y)

Last edited:
++ Grim Dawn is on Steam Sale at the moment, for anyone looking for a D4 alternative. ++

BTW, if you still want to use Grim Internals and only own the Steam version:

"On steam go to grim dawn and click properties then go to beta. You will see a box, click it and change to 1.1.9.7"

That was DEFINITELY not my suggestion to the devs what-so-ever......

- Outside of that, it has recently been discovered that Dawn of Masteries is currently buggy (mostly due to bloat / too many mods). Plus, the modder's main priority is obviously GDStash over DoM soooo:

At the moment, I'd recommend Grimarillion over DoM:
(Don't FORGET to download/install v86, then the 86a hotfix)
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/rel-grimarillion-v86a/46587
- Latest respective Grimarillion Rainbow Filter (copy the zip file DIRECTLY to your "localization" sub-directory, and select it under the Language option unlike regular Rainbow Filter which "just works")
Grimarillion v86a Rainbow v06
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/uploads/short-url/6b3gjC5tWFD9ZRr5nYOV4V1Vk5B.zip

*Yes, Grimarillion v86a works with both v1.1.9.7 AND v1.1.9.8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Props to The Toe!, horse, and lagavulin for continuing to recognize a FANTASTIC ARPG!! (y)

We left D4 and haven't looked back. And, I just bought GD for my brother who was interested in d4 but was a die hard d2 player and wasn't sure..He loves it.

Side note, did the devs break up? Are they working on anything?

We left D4 and haven't looked back. And, I just bought GD for my brother who was interested in d4 but was a die hard d2 player and wasn't sure..He loves it.

Side note, did the devs break up? Are they working on anything?

A non-hero-based RTS in the same universe is in the pipeline..

Besides that:

And GD2 will happen eventually. (their just burned out atm)

I don't know about gd2; i mean they will be ancient (age wise) by the time such a beast was finished.

I love TQ's graphics and semi-history, but I installed it over the winter and holy hell I don't think there are any movement skills (felt really slow).
In the Anniversary Edition they added an option to speed up the game, but that version has some... changes and quirks that I don't like compared to the original. The new expansion packs are also nothing to write home about. I still prefer the original Immortal Throne + Bugfix Fanpatch + Underlord.

In the Anniversary Edition they added an option to speed up the game, but that version has some... changes and quirks that I don't like compared to the original. The new expansion packs are also nothing to write home about. I still prefer the original Immortal Throne + Bugfix Fanpatch + Underlord.

titanquest.net

my-man.gif

Hopefully with the speed of advancements in various generative AI tools, the development for GD2 can be materially shortened. Diablo 4 just sucks compared to GD.

Last edited:
Hopefully with the speed of advancements in various generative AI tools, the development for GD2 can be materially shortened. Diablo 4 just sucks compared to GD2.
They would be very old men before they could complete GD2 ;)

BIG UPDATE:

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-misadventure-176-so-the-new-thing/128700

Grim Dawn version v1.2.0 is going to be entering the public playtest later this Summer with an expected release in the late Summer/early Fall. This update is, to put it mildly…a big one. We have gone through literally hundreds if not thousands of data entries to bring you quality of life improvements and breathe some fresh air into the game.

V1.2.0 will deliver upon our promise to implement some of the outdated Grim Internals utility 1.4k.

These are the features we are planning to implement:

• Option to disable Day-Night Cycle
  • Option to disable Fog
  • Option to display Cooldown Counters on the quickbar
  • Auto-Pick Up Radius can now be increased
  • New visual alerts for Legendaries, Monster Infrequents, Double Rares, and Double Rare Monster Infrequents. In addition, Monster Infrequents will be marked by an icon to separate them from standard Rare items.
  • New options for monster health bars, including thicker visuals and option to display % values and active debuffs
In addition, we plan on improving certain boss runs in the future, though not in v1.2.0. This will come in the form of better shortcuts, but also making the boss runs themselves more lucrative and enjoyable. Teleporting directly to a boss room is basically a cheat, and while some players are content with cheating in this manner (it’s a game, have fun, you do you), we think it’s better to make things more fun in general.

One such change we are planning to make is with drop rates. Getting a good Monster Infrequent roll is already a lot of RNG. There is no need to also have your boss attempts cheat you out of a chance of getting that roll in the first place. As such, all Bosses will have a 100% chance to drop their (non-legendary) Monster Infrequents.

Which brings us to the other half of this update. In addition to the usual round of balancing and bug fixes, we are planning MOAR. Here is but a taste:

• You will be able to play the entirety of the game up to the level cap on the difficulty that’s enjoyable to you. To support this, level scaling will be updated on Normal and Elite difficulty. Many areas on Normal will scale up to level 100. Elite difficulty will scale up to level 100 in all areas. Loot quality and experience gains will remain higher on higher difficulties, as before, but if playing up to level 100 on a more relaxed difficulty is for you, then we feel there is no reason to stop you. Have fun!
  • Toggled buff effects will be automatically toggled on and no longer need to be on the skill bar. Toggled skills with energy costs will have those costs removed. Anyone that has 2 exclusive skills learned on their character for some reason will want to pick one though, or the game will choose for you.
  • To top it off, you will be able to disable visuals for toggled buffs in the game options to improve visual clarity on your character and to show off all that gear.
  • The Nullification mechanic (ex. Arcane heroes) will be overhauled. It will purge all temporary buffs and Disable toggled buffs for 2 seconds. No more fumbling through your skill bars to turn auras back on.
  • For the modders out there, the console will log lua errors in custom games. We are also looking into enable certain debug commands for you, such as the debug cursor for locating game coordinates.
  • Pets will default to an Aggressive stance rather than the Normal stance. This setting can still be toggled on a pet by pet basis as desired.
  • You will be able to select your desired Main Menu theme in the game options.
  • MOAR
32144a81031796fdea53e4887b49c9f823d97540.jpg

- A new area, perhapssss?? :)

FYI, a very small hotfix was released for v1.1.9.8 like a week ago:

V1.1.9.8 Hotfix 1
  • Fixed an issue where the multiplayer server list would not…well…list correctly. You had one job…
  • Fixed an issue with missing controller inputs when assigning keybinds on a controller.
  • Fixed an issue where the multiplayer Internet toggle would become locked.
Anddddd here is the updated Grim Internals DLL for it :cool: :
https://mega.nz/file/EddG3ZIA#SQM3kCfTNCLIvslKW_Cb8PElNa3iJyUItNVcRsQJfT4

BTW, Crate will be hosting a livestream on August 29th to discuss the BIG upcoming changes with v1.2 (I kid you not when I say the developers have been dropping hints like CRAZY about a potential TENTH MASTERY!)

Game on friends.

EDIT: Here's something I've never posted before and keep forgetting to.... Grim Internals allows you to teleport to any given coordinate that you set/save etc. Well, some crazy bastid decided to compile a COMPLETE list of everything.
(just plop the txt file of your choice into your GD root directory and you're all set (y))
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/niC32AJ-cIZbkw
0481b534da96ba945323394ea697a4fef7a77df8.png

- and that's just a taste of the entire txt file

Last edited:
Ok, stream just ended after almost TWO HOURS.

Short TLDR version:

1. v1.2 will include a lot of QoL/Grim Internals stuff, tons more balancing, health/mana potions are now infinite, AND they are adding an evade button/function! (v1.2 Playtest with be available under the Steam beta branch in a couple hours)
- Note: Evade function will not be available immediately but added later on in the Playtest

2. THIRD EXPANSION PACK CONFIRMED!!
- Will arrive in 2024, introducing a 10th mastery called Bezerker (basically the equivalent of Diablo's Druid class), & the setting will be snow-themed

.... That was a crazy-ass stream. I'll post the full news/beta patch notes once they're up

GD isn't done yet gentlemen (y) :cool:

Ok, stream just ended after almost TWO HOURS.

Short TLDR version:

1. v1.2 will include a lot of QoL/Grim Internals stuff, tons more balancing, health/mana potions are now infinite, AND they are adding an evade button/function! (v1.2 Playtest with be available under the Steam beta branch in a couple hours)
- Note: Evade function will not be available immediately but added later on in the Playtest

2. THIRD EXPANSION PACK CONFIRMED!!
- Will arrive in 2024, introducing a 10th mastery called Bezerker (basically the equivalent of Diablo's Druid class), & the setting will be snow-themed

.... That was a crazy-ass stream. I'll post the full news/beta patch notes once they're up

GD isn't done yet gentlemen (y) :cool:
Wow, didn't they say they were done with expansions? I love the support they give to this game.

Wow, didn't they say they were done with expansions? I love the support they give to this game.

Apparently not :)

Here are the v1.2 Playtest patch notes:
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-dawn-v1-2-playtest-changelog/129880

------------------------------------------------------------------

Building upon the foundation of v1.2’s massive changes (now in public playtesting!), we are proud to announce that Grim Dawn will be receiving a third expansion: Fangs of Asterkarn!

45a9b8c610c775d1d95909f8069df7d6e69e8890_2_690x388.jpg
In this latest massive installment of Grim Dawn, you will journey West into the rugged wilderness of Asterkarn and contend with the mighty Kurn. Discover the dark legacy that continues to haunt these nomadic people and again drives them East, towards renewed conflict.

8de8407439df1540eec56331c29c4bf5155c9b28_2_690x388.jpg
[Expansion FAQ]

How much will the expansion cost?
Fangs of Asterkarn is another major addition to Grim Dawn and will be priced comparatively to past expansions.

When is the expansion coming?
The expansion is expected to release in 2024, but you never know when we end up doing MOAR than initially promised.

Will there be new masteries?
Fangs of Asterkarn features a transformative 10th Mastery. Become a frenzied force of destruction upon the battlefield capable of shapeshifting into vicious beastlike forms. The new Berserker mastery brings the total number of mastery combinations to an astounding 45!

Will there be a new chapter of the story?
Fangs of Asterkarn is another huge addition to the world of Grim Dawn. You will trek across the glorious snowy peaks of Asterkarn, delve into frozen caverns, and explore ancient forest valleys and breathtaking hot springs as you seek to purge the corruption tainting this idyllic landscape. Parlay with the Kurn tribes and aid them in rekindling old alliances as you contend with the darker side of their bloody history.

Will there be an increased Level cap?
Fangs of Asterkarn does not increase the level cap. Your characters will gain additional power through quest rewards and potion customization.

Will there be an increased Devotion cap?
Fangs of Asterkarn is not increasing the devotion cap. One does not simply contend with the will of the gods!

What are some of the new features coming with the expansion?
Fangs of Asterkarn is touching upon nearly every aspect of the game to enrich your experience and give you ever more options when building your characters:

• Conquer the Ascendant Game Mode - turn the campaign world into a challenge worthy of ascendant demigods, with every dungeon and boss encounter sure to test your limits.
  • Potion Customization - alter your potions to suit your playstyle. Turn them into powerful tonics that restore your character’s vitality, or have them provide powerful unique buffs and effects.
  • Affix Transmutation - reroll your rare and magic items to perfect your equipment.
  • Crucible Expanded - delve deeper into the Crucible’s challenges with thirty additional waves (requires the Crucible DLC).
  • The Shattered Realm Grows - discover new regions and boss arenas being slowly consumed within the Shattered Realm’s unstable infinity.
  • Discover Hundreds of New Items - a veritable vault of treasures awaits you with hundreds of new Monster Infrequents, Epic items, and unique Legendary items!
  • Awaken Epic Items - unleash the true potential of many Epic items to turn them into powerful implements worthy of Legends!
  • Tackle New Foes - test your mettle against new super bosses and additional Nemesis bosses for old factions. Five new hero monster archetypes populate the entirety of Cairn alongside older additions.
  • Two New Rogue-Like Dungeons - two new roguelike dungeons will be introduced with free content updates for the Fangs of Asterkarn expansion.

Last edited:
v1.2 Playtest is now available on Steam Beta Branch.

- It was up earlier but apparently the build was corrupt so they had to re-upload it.

Good to go now (y)

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-dawn-v1-2-playtest-changelog/129880

Building upon the foundation of v1.2’s massive changes (now in public playtesting!), we are proud to announce that Grim Dawn will be receiving a third expansion: Fangs of Asterkarn!

View attachment 594700
In this latest massive installment of Grim Dawn, you will journey West into the rugged wilderness of Asterkarn and contend with the mighty Kurn. Discover the dark legacy that continues to haunt these nomadic people and again drives them East, towards renewed conflict.

View attachment 594701
[Expansion FAQ]

Fangs of Asterkarn is another major addition to Grim Dawn and will be priced comparatively to past expansions.

The expansion is expected to release in 2024, but you never know when we end up doing MOAR than initially promised.

Fangs of Asterkarn features a transformative 10th Mastery. Become a frenzied force of destruction upon the battlefield capable of shapeshifting into vicious beastlike forms. The new Berserker mastery brings the total number of mastery combinations to an astounding 45!

Fangs of Asterkarn is another huge addition to the world of Grim Dawn. You will trek across the glorious snowy peaks of Asterkarn, delve into frozen caverns, and explore ancient forest valleys and breathtaking hot springs as you seek to purge the corruption tainting this idyllic landscape. Parlay with the Kurn tribes and aid them in rekindling old alliances as you contend with the darker side of their bloody history.

Fangs of Asterkarn does not increase the level cap. Your characters will gain additional power through quest rewards and potion customization.

Fangs of Asterkarn is not increasing the devotion cap. One does not simply contend with the will of the gods!

Fangs of Asterkarn is touching upon nearly every aspect of the game to enrich your experience and give you ever more options when building your characters:

• Conquer the Ascendant Game Mode - turn the campaign world into a challenge worthy of ascendant demigods, with every dungeon and boss encounter sure to test your limits.
  • Potion Customization - alter your potions to suit your playstyle. Turn them into powerful tonics that restore your character’s vitality, or have them provide powerful unique buffs and effects.
  • Affix Transmutation - reroll your rare and magic items to perfect your equipment.
  • Crucible Expanded - delve deeper into the Crucible’s challenges with thirty additional waves (requires the Crucible DLC).
  • The Shattered Realm Grows - discover new regions and boss arenas being slowly consumed within the Shattered Realm’s unstable infinity.
  • Discover Hundreds of New Items - a veritable vault of treasures awaits you with hundreds of new Monster Infrequents, Epic items, and unique Legendary items!
  • Awaken Epic Items - unleash the true potential of many Epic items to turn them into powerful implements worthy of Legends!
  • Tackle New Foes - test your mettle against new super bosses and additional Nemesis bosses for old factions. Five new hero monster archetypes populate the entirety of Cairn alongside older additions.
  • Two New Rogue-Like Dungeons - two new roguelike dungeons will be introduced with free content updates for the Fangs of Asterkarn expansion.

Wow just read about this on Steam going for a Snow climate should look really cool with existing spells.

View attachment 594700

View attachment 594701
[Expansion FAQ]

Can't believe I missed this announcement :eek:

Grim Dawn is the gift that just keeps on giving! 100% my favorite ARPG on the market right now. Can't wait for the update.

star-wars-palpatine.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

2a5535bad266353d3ad39a5f52f8a735af5180fa_2_690x388.jpg

"V1.2 is dense with new features, mechanics, and quality of life improvements that have been on top of your wishlists. You can look forward to improved leveling,
better difficulty skips, new accessibility features, a dedicated evade ability, and much much more! V1.2 is, without a doubt, our labor of love update that will usher
in the next era of Grim Dawn before Fangs of Asterkarn is released in 2024!"

See link below for all the changes/improvements (FAR too much to directly post here) :
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-dawn-version-v1-2-0-0-coming-november-16th/132117

Last edited:
Thank you again horrorshow! Fiance and I just did another playthrough. My favorite arpg.

Post on the thread I linked and thank Crate Entertainment ;)

But yea, I purposely didn't play the 1.2 beta/playtest so I'm definitely excited about the new Evade mechanic for sure! (I am planning to wait probably a week or so for the first inevitable hotfix patch to drop tho before updating heh)

Just a heads up, people on the GD forums are saying the 1.2 patch just went live on Steam!!

(Can't confirm cuz I'm at the office, but yeah (y))

Don't really care for the campaign in this game. Feels like it drags out a bit. I've got like 200h into the game, and I'd say 150 of them are just doing crucible.

Don't really care for the campaign in this game. Feels like it drags out a bit. I've got like 200h into the game, and I'd say 150 of them are just doing crucible.

Have you tried the Shattered Realm "side-mode"??

That might be more up your alley instead of reg campaign..

Have you trued the Shattered Realm "side-mode"??
Is that this?

300px-Korvanbasinmap.png

I got near the top, ran a dungeon that requires a key. I had three keys, did two runs the the final boss wiped the floor with me. Only like level 55 or something.

I know I'm still "new" but I hate campaigns. Any time I fire up World of Warcraft, I just repeat dungeon finder over and over again. Get to level cap, force my way in M+, get tired, and reroll.

Path of Exile, I only make one character per league because I get to maps and that's it. I don't want to run the campaign anymore.

That's why I really only do crucible. I'd run that to level cap if I didn't have to do the campaign for the devotion points.

Do I have to start a new character after this patch? Also, what is the best way to get a character up to par to start farming good gear. I have over 600 hrs in this game but have only played it casually and not end game like D2.

Do I have to start a new character after this patch? Also, what is the best way to get a character up to par to start farming good gear. I have over 600 hrs in this game but have only played it casually and not end game like D2.
It would be recommended to start a new character.

I use Smash n Grab to test different builds. It boosts XP gain and loot drops significantly - https://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/45?tab=description

I actually use it to play the game in general but some might find it a bit too "generous" 😝

I use Smash n Grab to test different builds. It boosts XP gain and loot drops significantly - https://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/45?tab=description

I actually use it to play the game in general but some might find it a bit too "generous" 😝

Just a heads up, the 1.2 patch was so massive - pretty much ALL mods are currently broken until they get updated by their respective creators etc.

- BUT, you can select the old 1.1.9.8 via the Steam Beta Branch (which is what I'm sticking with until all my essential mods are updated & the devs release at least one inevitable hotfix)

Back