Grim Dawn Alpha starts tomorrow

Just a heads up, the 1.2 patch was so massive - pretty much ALL mods are currently broken until they get updated by their respective creators etc.

- BUT, you can select the old 1.1.9.8 via the Steam Beta Branch (which is what I'm sticking with until all my essential mods are updated & the devs release at least one inevitable hotfix)

Yeah it looks like the Smash n Grab mod has some issues. Eg. All items on ground are white regardless of rarity or item type. And no rarity color glow on items in inventory. Seems to be working other than that.

I didn't even think about mods. Can you still play regular online multi-player with mods installed?

I started a new character. Evade is something that I was not aware of and I'm not sure I care about. Potion mapping defaults are to 'R" and 'E' buttons...why???? Had to re-figure out re-mapping those to '9' & '0' and evade got the Mouse 4 button, but not really useful. I'll say this when I got to that Burial Cave and faced off with Zygogg; I was cussing. They were calling up dead much faster and the second calling was pulling up 2 of the aether "bombers" (which isn't necessarily new, i think). It took about 15 minutes for me to kill the bastard because of the mob shield that they kept up. I get shaking up the play but not sure how other encounters are going to look like now. Is this some kind of influx from souls-like games??

TL;DR...I hate change :)

I started a new character. Evade is something that I was not aware of and I'm not sure I care about. Potion mapping defaults are to 'R" and 'E' buttons...why???? Had to re-figure out re-mapping those to '9' & '0' and evade got the Mouse 4 button, but not really useful. I'll say this when I got to that Burial Cave and faced off with Zygogg; I was cussing. They were calling up dead much faster and the second calling was pulling up 2 of the aether "bombers" (which isn't necessarily new, i think). It took about 15 minutes for me to kill the bastard because of the mob shield that they kept up. I get shaking up the play but not sure how other encounters are going to look like now. Is this some kind of influx from souls-like games??

You call roll-back to v1.1.9.8 via the Steam Game Properties - Beta tab. Just select the 1.1.9.8 version (they added this "Legacy" option due to the changes being so drastic)

- I'm staying on 1.1.9.8 till probably next month while they iron out all the noteworthy glitches etc.... (They've ALREADY released one Hotfix/patch lol)

Edit: Fyi, Potions have always been mapped to R & E.. Ever since Titan Quest

You call roll-back to v1.1.9.8 via the Steam Game Properties - Beta tab. Just select the 1.1.9.8 version (they added this "Legacy" option due to the changes being so drastic)

- I'm staying on 1.1.9.8 till probably next month while they iron out all the noteworthy glitches etc.... (They've ALREADY released one Hotfix/patch lol)

Edit: Fyi, Potions have always been mapped to R & E.. Ever since Titan Quest
I probably will roll-back.

Hmmm...R & E thing I cannot remember it being like that. I must have re-mapped them and then forgot I did it. It's always been 9 & 0 for me.:D

I can't say I'm a fan of the new balancing either. Major step backwards and makes the game feel slow and grindy like Diablo 4. It's a damn shame since will likely need to run 1.2 with the expansion coming next year.

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-misadventure-177-asterkarn-menagerie/133436

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! 2024 is nearly upon us, so we thought it would make for a nice end of the year treat to give you a peek behind the proverbial curtain. We are busily assembling another exciting expansion pack for you, teeming with new areas, items and monsters for you to explore, loot and slaughter, hopefully in that order.

As you can imagine, anything resilient enough to endure the bitter cold of Asterkarn’s peaks is not going to be a pushover. Let us take a look at a couple of these western denizens.

Roc

Tread carefully as you ascend the frozen glaciers, and keep an eye out to the skies, for the predator seeking to turn you into its next meal may not be in front of you, it may be far above. The rocs, massive avian creatures with a wingspan that easily dwarfs a human, readily pick off stragglers in animal herds, or unwary travelers.

These vicious birds come in two common varieties: frost and storm, elemental affinities they use to subdue their prey. Legends speak of a glorious roc for whom the very winds of Asterkarn change their course.

Woolly Rhino

No beast is more eponymous with the Asterkarn lands as the woolly rhino. These animals sport a thick coat of fur and even thicker skin to shield them from not only the elements but also deadly predators. That is, of course, not their only form of defense. You would be wise to not end up on the receiving end of one of their glorious horns.

But not even the mighty rhinos can resist the corruption that is spreading across Asterkarn, threatening the land and its people, and perhaps all of Cairn. These mangy beasts suffer from a sinister illness that has left them permanently warped, but no less dangerous.

This is of course just the beginning as we dive deep into Fangs of Astekarn next year! You will learn all about the upcoming Berserker mastery, Ascendant Mode’s unique challenges, the Kurn people, and more!

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 01/22/2024 for the next Grim Misadventure.

I felt compelled to post this now that Grim Internals no longer functions:

Someone else has developed a new tool that does everything Grim Internals did that 1.2 didn't include (real-time damage info, teleport lists, GrimCam, item pickup radius etc.)

DPYes:
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/tool-dpyes-player-pet-dps-meter-misc-util/133378
da487c95b4cfb548a603a63cff5188939bd75e52_2_690x414.jpg
4cce9dc19eb13c1e009dc079622f063e03614b2f_2_316x499.jpg

8442c0a62ba440831d46b7b82967ffcc6279a0c1.jpg
94927877e7a69d4a8c4950cfba8ac40a10bbf7dd.jpg

MORE IMPORTANTLY
GrimTex (the texture upscale mod) is now COMPLETE:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/141?tab=description
141-1682479325-594134502.jpg

(ALL textures - creatures/items/terrain, done.... I prefer the 2x variant because its a 5th the file size of 4x and honestly, you can't tell the difference. BUT, it's still a HUGE upgrade over vanilla)

dec2ebe1-6c8c-4c49-9e98-0ab9f1aac9bd_text.gif

Enjoy gentlemen (y)

MORE IMPORTANTLY
GrimTex (the texture upscale mod) is now COMPLETE:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/141?tab=description

(ALL textures - creatures/items/terrain, done.... I prefer the 2x variant because its a 5th the file size of 4x and honestly, you can't tell the difference. BUT, it's still a HUGE upgrade over vanilla)
Damn I had no idea this was even out there. I'll most likely give a d/l when the new exp drops. Had I known I woulda ran it last summer when I was leveling my Reaper.

After I "completed" Diablo IV at level 46 LOL I have zero interest in keeping going on Tier 3 to level 100. I'll wait for the expansion.

But I do like the A-RPG genre, which next gshe should I buy, and which looks great on an OLED display?

-Last Epoch
-Grim Dawn

???

Grim dawn is amazing and my personal favorite aRPG. Of the past 15 years. I really like last epoch and I am very excited for what they do in the future. As of my last playing a couple of months ago, it still needs time to bake imo.

After I "completed" Diablo IV at level 46 LOL I have zero interest in keeping going on Tier 3 to level 100. I'll wait for the expansion.

But I do like the A-RPG genre, which next gshe should I buy, and which looks great on an OLED display?

-Last Epoch
-Grim Dawn

???
Everything looks great on an oled! Since your in the GD thread though, I'd recommend GD :). It still holds up pretty well, I just played through it again last summer. Probably the most enjoyable single player arpg ever made. When I play GD it feels like I'm playing a game (if that makes any sense lol). None of this rush to max level, go go go bs, that a lot of arpg are all about any more.

Last Epoch does look good visually from what little I've seen. I haven't payed much attention to it all though as it's been in EA for a looong time. It appears to be getting close to a v1.0 release it seems. There was a trailer released for it just recently. I'll probably give it a go eventually.

-Last Epoch
-Grim Dawn

???

You posted in both game threads? heh

Welp, you know where I stand.... Obviouslyyyy

(Once you get GD, be sure to install the texture overhaul I linked above in a previous post for "optimal shine")

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-misadventure-178-loyalist-the-third/134091 (y)

Grim Misadventures here with another peak behind the proverbial curtain. Last time 86, we introduced some of the unyielding denizens of the bitter Astkeran cold.

Today, we are going to get a little technical as we preview some of the exciting looks you will soon be able to add to your swank collection of illusions with the upcoming Loyalist Item Pack 3. We were not sure the third pack would ever see the light of day, but then again we did not think there would be a third expansion either back then. By extremely popular demand, what you are about to see is all your fault!

As was announced back in December 38, Loyalist Pack the Third features some divine good looks. In total, there will be five armor sets. The first of which is the visage of the Veilwarden, the Arkovian god Rattosh!

Your reception to that preview told us that we are on the right track, which is why we then took that enthusiasm and doubled it for…the visage of Empyrion!

Yes, you too will be able to don the celestial look of the greatest among the gods and wield the spear of the heavens, a legendary weapon said to have struck down the Dying God! With this armor, we tried some new things with texturing and, if you are looking closely, the first ever back visual. Yes, we took notes when modders were adding all those wings and thought we would give it a try.

And speaking of Ch’thon, one cannot make a collection of godly illusions and not pay tribute to the Dying God himself. This terrifying visage exemplifies the new tech we now have at our disposal for Fangs of Asterkarn items.

A still image does not really do this armor justice though, so here is a short clip of it in action. Perceptive eyes will catch two things at play here: no head and…no feet! This is thanks to our new tech that allows us to add mesh and animation overrides to items. We can get pretty creative in terms of your character’s look by swapping out heads or, as you can see below, let you glide around the battlefield!

Modders will of course gain access to this flexible new system as well. We’re curious to see what you will come up with.
slight_smile.png

DLC_Loyalist03_Chthon01_In-Game02.gif

The loyalists among you are probably wondering when you can get your hands on this sweet loot. There are two more armor sets on the way which we will not spoil, but we are confident that the full collection will be well worth the asking price. You can expect Loyalist Item Pack 3 to be available mid-February alongside v1.2.0.4, which will have a number of bug fixes and improvements.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 02/26/2024 for the next Grim Misadventure.

I started a new character recently as I never really built my other one up right and I wanted to start fresh. Went soldier inquisitor as I wanted to either go with melee or ranged guns... I ended up using dual pistols with cadence and dragons breath (from the explosive rounds addon).. I am lvl30 now and definitely having a better time with the dual pistols. Adding stats/devotions better aligned with my character build..

Anyways.. having a good time with this game after a long hiatus. It has way more re-playability for me than say D4. It also looks just stunning on a 42" OLED and the 4090 just chews it up at 4k (vs my 2080ti which struggled with it at times). Good stuff!

horrorshow - Thanks for the tip on that texture overhaul. I will try that tonight!

I should reinstall this one. It was decent
Way better than decent. It's better than diablo 3 and 4 combined. And for me, is knocking at the door of being better than diablo 2. This thread has been a massive circle jerk to Grim Dawn, and rightly so. But I think it's only fair that we discuss con's or room for improvement. I think the biggest one for me is overall polish. It has as almost euro game dev jankyness to it, which for some is a pro! That's about it for me. As you know, I love the game. What about you guys? I'm curious to know what you think could be improved or stuff you don't like about GD.

I'm still loving it. Reinstalled it a few weeks ago. Was planning on waiting until the new mastery gets here but failed that.

It is practically a perfect game for me. The only thing I wish they would change, and it is very minor, I wish quest that gave you items would give you something usable by one of your masteries.
Always disappointed me I kill a big bad and get my reward and it is junk legendary useless for the current character.

Everything just works so well and synergies with everything else. Graphics are dated but it is an old game.
I really want them to do a GD2 or at the very least more expansions. I rarely buy item packs or any sort but I'm going to buy that new loyalty pack because of how much support they have given this game.

This thread has been a massive circle jerk to Grim Dawn, and rightly so. But I think it's only fair that we discuss con's or room for improvement.

giphy.gif

- This to whoever walked into the dev room and was like "So, I got this idea.... I call 'em Skeleton Keys"

So I d/l the GrimTex 4x v6.0 last night and I'm thinking goddamn almost 12gigs. Then I unpack it and say GODDAMN! 25gigs :eek: It's crazy cause even after 2 xpacs GD is still only like 10gigs. But I'm gonna run my Phantasmal Blades Reaper a bit more using the Demonslayers armor set, very fun build. I have a few levels to get yet anyhow, I left off at lvl 98 after Shar'Zul 2 shot me last summer. Havent played since that day lol!

So I d/l the GrimTex 4x v6.0 last night and I'm thinking goddamn almost 12gigs. Then I unpack it and say GODDAMN! 25gigs :eek:

Yeah thats why after trying 2x and 4x, I stuck with 2x... WAYYYY less space and couldn't tell the difference even at 4K DSR

https://forums.crateentertainment.c...tem-pack-iii-is-coming-february-27th/134456/1

Following update v1.2.0.4 next week, Grim Dawn Loyalist Item Pack III will become available on February 27th!

Add 5 divine appearance sets 76 to your collection for $8.99!

9476c09cb58aa5bf51023327b486f52e7dad32d0_2_690x388.png

V1.2.0.4 is largely focused on bug fixes, but there’s a few other interesting changes in there before the v1.2.1.0 playtest begins in March:

V1.2.0.4

[Major New Features]
  • Lancel the Knight now has access to new wares from the Loyalist Item Pack 3! Now you too can don the visages of the gods themselves!
[Shattered Realm]
  • Items left on the ground within the Splendors of the Shattered Realm are now automatically cleared out when you decide to collect your rewards.
[Crucible]
  • Items left on the ground within the treasure room are now automatically cleared out when it opens.
[Tech]
  • Fixed an issue where placing the Health and Energy Potions on the quick bar would not save them between sessions.
  • Fixed an issue where monster melee attacks could hit outside of their target area.
  • Fixed a rare issue where certain skill effects could cause monsters to miss their attacks.
  • Fixed a rare issue with charging monsters being able to pause their charge and resume it.
  • Fixed an issue where pets that are regularly resummoned (ex. Wind Devils) could stop dealing damage.
  • Fixed an issue where undoing points in an exclusive skill could prevent putting points into other exclusive skills.
  • Fixed a crash resulting from changing game settings.
  • Fixed an editor crash that could occur when scrolling near certain map regions.
[Modding]
  • Added AreaTrigger.Get(object Id) Lua function to store a TriggerVolume.
  • Added AreaTrigger:DestroyItems() Lua function to destroy all items within a TriggerVolume. This is an expensive call based on the size of the volume and number of items that should be used sparingly.
  • Added character:GiveAffixItem(string ItemDbr, string prefixDbr, string suffixDbr) Lua function for spawning an item with specific affixes.
  • Added item:HasAffix(string affixDbr) Lua function for checking whether an item has a specific affix.
[Game]
  • Reduced the Magnitude and/or Duration of most monster Fumble effects. The Crucible no longer has additional reduction to those effects.
  • Screen Edge effects can now be toggled in the game options.
  • Increased Reputation Bonus from faction Mandates and Warrants to 200%.
  • Cronley’s Outlaws heroes and mini-bosses now equip various Monster Infrequents worn by their lessers.
  • Rare Prefix - Vindicator: replaced bonus to Storm Spread with +2 to Arcane Empowerment
  • Fixed an issue where some accessory affixes could roll on certain Monster Infrequent armor.
  • Fixed Lucius’ Blade-Arm having lower than intended base damage.

I have played this all weekend and am having a lot of fun.. as much if not more than my previous play through. I switch between a two handed mace I found with some crazy buffs and pistols. The environment in this game feels so good and the combat animations plus sounds are killer. The loot is insane too.. I sped a lot of time collecting, sorting, selling, keeping, stashing.. tweaking my character for max DPS with and health.. Anyways. just having a blast exploring and upgrading today.. here's me at the start of today..
IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

IMG_4014.jpeg

Time.jpg

After 8 years I'm finally about to cross the threshold of 1000hrs. I got bit by the GD bug again (is that Grim Dawn or God Damn? :p) and decided to roll another char, this time a Warlord maining Blitz, Vire's Might, Incorporeal Winds, and Cadence, with some heavy physical/trauma based constellation procs tied to those skills as well. All those movement skills add main and off hand damage which is making everything hit like a fricken truck! Very fast and super fun playstyle, and now we got the built in evade skill also. Running Milton's headpiece, Warden's shield, and Bloodbriar's amulet for heavy blitz cooldown and trying to get cooldown reduction on gear as well. I can pretty much skate around nonstop blowing up mobs, it's quite addictive :). I never had a character like this before and it craves the question, 'why not?' Anyways, just starting Ultimate right now @ lvl 73. I always skip the expansions until Ultimate that way you don't over-level to much.

Also GrimTex 4x is surely an added bonus. It definitely cleans it up and smoothes it out quite a bit. Looking back at some older screenshots I can really see the difference (older screenshot above).

I've decided to hold off on Last Epoch indefinitely. I just found out they are involved with Tencent and I'm not really interested in all that garbage. It's bad enough everything is made in China anymore, I'll be damned if the games I like to play have that stamp on them as well.

I keep forgetting about this game. Installed it while waiting for my GPU and then never fired it up.

I grabbed GrimTex 4x. Anything else worth installing modewise? I never beat the game so more just looking for enhancements rather than a complete overhaul mod assuming there even is such a thing.

I never beat the game so more just looking for enhancements rather than a complete overhaul mod assuming there even is such a thing.

There are def some serious overhauls, but as far as essentials:

I'd say there's two I can't imagine playing without.... (besides GrimTex now that that's finally been completed)

1. Rainbow Filter - color-codes your items/affixes etc : https://github.com/WareBare/WanezGD_Tools/releases/download/v0.5.9/fullRainbow-1.2.0.4.zip

2. Grim UI - expands your inventory and storage: https://www.moddb.com/mods/grim-ui/downloads/x-mod-hoarder
40f4c1da561daffb9be5f1bfdd3f5c04d4477488_2_690x388.jpg

The only mod I've ever run was Grim Internals and I don't even miss it. I just use the texture mod and call it good anymore. I hardly use my stash box as is now, really the only thing I store are components, crafting materials, rings/amulets/medals (and really not even that many) a few infrequents and a few legendary set pieces. Probably not even enough to fill up 3 regular tabs. But I don't pick that much stuff up also. Well I pick up everything that shows but end up just discarding most of it right there if its no good for my current setup. I run a pretty strict loot filter set to only show the current damage type I'm using for that particular character. Otherwise there's way to much loot, way to many greens in particular. But I don't want to just filter them out all together because there's also a lot of great rare items that you'd be missing.

There are def some serious overhauls, but as far as essentials:

I'd say there's two I can't imagine playing without.... (besides GrimTex now that that's finally been completed)

1. Rainbow Filter - color-codes your items/affixes etc : https://github.com/WareBare/WanezGD_Tools/releases/download/v0.5.9/fullRainbow-1.2.0.4.zip

2. Grim UI - expands your inventory and storage: https://www.moddb.com/mods/grim-ui/downloads/x-mod-hoarder
View attachment 641375

Thanks. I definitely need a hoarder mod. I am bad about keeping loot and never enjoyed loot tetris.

Is rainbow still needed or am I thinking of another mod? I remember reading at one point some loot mod being incorporated.

Thanks. I definitely need a hoarder mod. I am bad about keeping loot and never enjoyed loot tetris.

Is rainbow still needed or am I thinking of another mod? I remember reading at one point some loot mod being incorporated.

Devs confirmed they will NOT be incorporating Rainbow into the game ever (due to concerns w color-blind users)..

So yea, Rainbow Filter is still needed/essential imo.

Back