Great prices on MP3 players - 2GB Ipod Nano rip-off for only ~$45

Status
Not open for further replies.
these are so slick, I have been looking at user images on Flickr and google images and they look great. the NES Games feature sounds pretty sweet too! I might just sell my 2gb nano and get one of these for less than I sell the nano for :D

Which ones did you find for 80 bucks? Cause everything I saw was ending above the 100 mark or still had 2-3 days left on the bidding.

hmmm...these are on eBay for ~$80. These things look nice!

It plays Xvid!!

"Synchronized Lyric Display, E-book, Alarm Clock, Calculator, Calendar, Games, etc"

You can find the mini player white or black for about $159.99 if you google the item. I also found a 8gig Version coming out in March for about $195.99. Pre-order payment of $50.00 is needed for 8gig version . If i was shopping for that high in price range. I would pay $249 for the Zune player instead. These little players are under 60 bucks after coupon and there 2gig's.

the UX-Osmium looks like a good deal
im still kind worried about the quality though
I saw some posts that said it died after a few days or was DOA and it takes weeks to get into contact with the manufacturer

i was playing with mine more last night. (glacier) The tempo controller is really cool! It's like an audigy card in that it can speed up or slow down the tempo without changing the key/pitch of the song notes....So it can be really fast or really slow and the singers voices still sound the same (I.E. not chipmunks singing) This is a good feature for working out on the treadmill or something if you like to run to the beat of music.

I'm still impressed with mine. If I compared it side by side with a Zune - I'm sure the Zune would win (I haven't ever played with a Zune) --- But my unit was about ~55$ shipped....and that is 1/5 of the price.

Get real on the GB usage guys. 2GB is enough music to listen for DAYS straight without needing to change the titles. For the price it's a compramise that is worth making. It's USB 2.0 so it transfers fast and why do you need to store your whole 30GB music collection on your handheld mp3 player?

Get real on the GB usage guys. 2GB is enough music to listen for DAYS straight without needing to change the titles. For the price it's a compramise that is worth making. It's USB 2.0 so it transfers fast and why do you need to store your whole 30GB music collection on your handheld mp3 player?

QFT

still looking to hear some more about...

all of these players :D

It's about variety. Obviously I'm not going to put my entire collection on a portable device, but 2GB is about 1/20 of my main collection. That's not much variety, especially if your files have a high bitrate.

It's about variety. Obviously I'm not going to put my entire collection on a portable device, but 2GB is about 1/20 of my main collection. That's not much variety, especially if your files have a high bitrate.

QFT...

I encode all my CDs at 192 VBR mp3 with lame. I get a great sound but it does take between 75-100Mb depending on the length of the album. I used to work at a used record store so my CD collection is in the couple of thousand CDs range (really easy to do when you are paying $2-4 an album). So with 2GB I am looking at 15-20 albums depending on length. I think last time I took inventory I had something like 2027 albums with roughly 20 albums to be ripped. So with 2GB I can't even put a dent in my collection. The Creative Muvo2 I have (4GB) gets loaded up with a workout playlist every time I go to the gym. So I personally find 4GB to be inadequate, where as I wouldn't even consider a 2GB player. To make a blanket statement like, "Get real on the GB usage guys. 2GB is enough music to listen for DAYS straight without needing to change the titles. For the price it's a compramise that is worth making. It's USB 2.0 so it transfers fast and why do you need to store your whole 30GB music collection on your handheld mp3 player," is just ignorant.

Value is more than something being cheaper than something else. Value is something working for my situation at a price (and quality) I find acceptable. So while 2GB might be great for some, it won't satisfy me, so it holds no value to me (therefore not really a deal at all). At 4GB you are talking more my language, but I would prefer something in the 8GB range to really satisfy me. Note I'm not saying anything on the build quality etc of these players, I'm just saying that a blanket statement like the one above is ignorant. If all anybody needed was 2GB players Apple wouldn't be selling 60-80GB like they are going out of style.

QFT...

I encode all my CDs at 192 VBR mp3 with lame. I get a great sound but it does take between 75-100Mb depending on the length of the album. I used to work at a used record store so my CD collection is in the couple of thousand CDs range (really easy to do when you are paying $2-4 an album). So with 2GB I am looking at 15-20 albums depending on length. I think last time I took inventory I had something like 2027 albums with roughly 20 albums to be ripped. So with 2GB I can't even put a dent in my collection. The Creative Muvo2 I have (4GB) gets loaded up with a workout playlist every time I go to the gym. So I personally find 4GB to be inadequate, where as I wouldn't even consider a 2GB player. To make a blanket statement like, "Get real on the GB usage guys. 2GB is enough music to listen for DAYS straight without needing to change the titles. For the price it's a compramise that is worth making. It's USB 2.0 so it transfers fast and why do you need to store your whole 30GB music collection on your handheld mp3 player," is just ignorant.

Value is more than something being cheaper than something else. Value is something working for my situation at a price (and quality) I find acceptable. So while 2GB might be great for some, it won't satisfy me, so it holds no value to me (therefore not really a deal at all). At 4GB you are talking more my language, but I would prefer something in the 8GB range to really satisfy me. Note I'm not saying anything on the build quality etc of these players, I'm just saying that a blanket statement like the one above is ignorant. If all anybody needed was 2GB players Apple wouldn't be selling 60-80GB like they are going out of style.

so at your 192KB/Sec bit rate encoding we get 100mb per album.
You'd get 20 albums worth of space.
That's over 20 hours of music???

I don't know about you - but my gym workouts usually are about 45 minutes long ;)

You can't put what you like on there with 20 hours of music using a 2GB setup?

If 2GB doesn't meet your need then it doesn't --- but for the vast majority it does and these players are phenominal price/performance units!

I wouldn't claim that most people use portable audio players just to work out. And you better be using flash-based player if you are. I bet some people have one player for working out and a hard-drive-based player for other uses. I take my iPod to work every day and have it play on my desk, and I'd probably go crazy if I only had 2GB.

But you're right, if 2GB isn't right for you, it isn't right for you.

so at your 192KB/Sec bit rate encoding we get 100mb per album.
You'd get 20 albums worth of space.
That's over 20 hours of music???

I don't know about you - but my gym workouts usually are about 45 minutes long ;)

You can't put what you like on there with 20 hours of music using a 2GB setup?

If 2GB doesn't meet your need then it doesn't --- but for the vast majority it does and these players are phenominal price/performance units!

I have a tendency to just throw whole albums on there and work my way through them as I'm working out. I also put demos/singles on there to check out new or independent artists, which can entail a lot of skipping.

Like I said, I have nothing against these players; I just find that 2GB isn't what everyone on the planet finds acceptable. My Jazz, Classical and House albums will really put these players to shame...especially when you've got a single album that is taking up 300-400Mb on your drive (not to mention I'm sure these players are more like 1.8GB players).

For some 2GB might be great, and for others it will seem plenty inadequate; it is all just dependent on your listening habits.

Oh and this thread has way too much calm thinking/discussion going on. Here: YOU GUyZ R ALLNOOBS AND SO R THESE 2gBS plyers.

Much better.

Does anyone have a FMP that can verify the wheel is touch sensitive like a normal ipod?

Which ones did you find for 80 bucks? Cause everything I saw was ending above the 100 mark or still had 2-3 days left on the bidding.

Here's the 2GB & 4GB White version on eBay for $81.99 + $24.99 shipping (from Hong Kong) & $125.99 + $25.99 shipping, respectively.

2GB Version
4GB Version

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
2GB can hold ~500 WMA @ 128kbps which is good enough for me.

Than you have found yourself good value in turn making it a good deal. Personally I won't touch WMA at any kbps, but to each his own (I have heard that WMA can handle low bitrate better than MP3 and/or OGG...so you might be better off at that bitrate).

with an average handheld player chances are you won't be able to tell the difference between a well encoded 128 kb/sec mp3 and a 192 kb/sec.....It isn't like these units use an audigy 2 ZS platinum pro chipset. :)

Does anyone have a FMP that can verify the wheel is touch sensitive like a normal ipod?

I would love to know that myself, but I have already ordered one. I'll let you guys know what I think whenever it comes in. I am under the assumption that it is not the same as the iPod clickwheel, but if it is, that makes the deal even sweeter.

2gigs is great for music. 1 cd holds about 7~10 mp3 cds of mixed constant 128/192 and 256vbr, atleast for me. 2 gigs is alot more then I need with my tastes, since I get bored/download more real quick.

But, I think most people complaining about the size is those who want to use it for video. At standard pirate video, its 600~700 for a 1.5/2 hour movie. How big is it for one of these videos after running it thru the compression.

2gigs is great for music. 1 cd holds about 7~10 mp3 cds of mixed constant 128/192 and 256vbr, atleast for me. 2 gigs is alot more then I need with my tastes, since I get bored/download more real quick.

But, I think most people complaining about the size is those who want to use it for video. At standard pirate video, its 600~700 for a 1.5/2 hour movie. How big is it for one of these videos after running it thru the compression.

I could get dvd's down to about 200MB on my psp.

with my glacier I don't think you'd want to watch a real DVD movie.

It only plays back at prolly 15 to 20 FPS...it isn't full feature smoothness. It's not bad for a couple short viral video clips here and there, but i don't think it'd look so great with a divx flick...

Here's the 2GB & 4GB White version on eBay for $81.99 + $24.99 shipping (from Hong Kong) & $125.99 + $25.99 shipping, respectively.

2GB Version
4GB Version

$25 bucks shipping is not cool.

Just thought I'd add, that for the 4GB one, once it's hitting the $150 mark, why not get something much more local than Hong Kong? A Zune is even a better deal once you're getting that high.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have been reading this thread and have to laugh.
I posted this site here in the hot deals section back around Christmas.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1125091
I was looking to get a cheap player. Everything I read said these were the cheapest POS players there were.
I decided to go with a different company based on the what you guys said and what I found out using Google.
I hope those that bit have good luck.

Anyone get their hands on one of the full metal platinums yet? How does it compare to the ipod? I'm thinking on going that route because all the nano cases should fit it with little to no modification since they are only +/- a few mm in size different. Although that glacier looks promising as well. Great thread!

I have been reading this thread and have to laugh.
I posted this site here in the hot deals section back around Christmas.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1125091
I was looking to get a cheap player. Everything I read said these were the cheapest POS players there were.
I decided to go with a different company based on the what you guys said and what I found out using Google.
I hope those that bit have good luck.

I have a friend who has a generation 1 chipod looks like a nano - it is 100% complete crap compared to my glacier unit. I couldn't even figure out how to use the device. He couldn't get folders to work correctly for storing media, the interface is extremely clunky - there is a long pause in switching songs ect. I promise you this glacier unit at least is absolutely nothing like my friend's (and your friend's) crappy gen 1 player. That thing truly is worthy of throwing out the window.

Just to let everyone know, the 13% off coupon expires tomorrow. (02/22) Figured I'd mention it for the other people on the edge of getting one like I am. Think I'll bite.

Anyone have a picture of their glacier? I'd like to see the screen quality and how videos look on it.

Hey Archaea,

I've got a Glacier coming and was curious on how long the battery lasts so far? Also, is that black box in the last picture a charger? Do you have to take the battery out to charge it or does it just plug into the Glacier?

Thanks

Yes,

it is a charger, and my battery after one charge is still going strong after fiddling with it the last week +.

I have read on other forums the battery lasts 8-10 hours of constant use, and with a nokia replacment OEM battery will last 10-14 hours.

I've done a lot of transferring and video watching

Can you take videos from (evil) iTunes and convert it to the format for these players?

Got my UX Platinum Junior today. Love it. The headphones that came with it were thrown in the trash ASAP; they are worthless. Here are a few pics.

2gy4wzt.jpg

49lfbeb.jpg

2njbzt5.jpg

484j4ht.jpg

478swtc.jpg

2eyua0y.jpg

4711iqg.jpg

2r5x17m.jpg

4g3nm9w.jpg

2nm3vo0.jpg

2j2f8ed.jpg

The screen is flawless... those lines and smudge marks from my fingers are easily wiped off. For $32 i am more than happy. I think im going to buy 10 of them and sell them for 50 buxx around town.. Should be easy considering these are really nice. The video playback is probally around 20FPS, but it looks cool.. Colors are vibrant. There is a little light leakage on both sides, but once past the installizing screen they are no longer noticable... I've already sold 2 of these in the past hour (from people seeing mine) for 50 buxx.. Time to order a bunch!!

Now lets just see how long the battery lasts ... HAHA

Got my UX Platinum Junior today. Love it. The headphones that came with it were thrown in the trash ASAP; they are worthless.

Looks pretty cool, man. How long did it take you to get your Platinum Junior from order date to arrival date?

Looks pretty cool, man. How long did it take you to get your Platinum Junior from order date to arrival date?

Well I ordered it the 7th.. And it got here the 17th. I wasnt home when they delivered it so i just picked it up today... Its really not that slow... I'de say out of those 10 days only 6-7 of them were business days.. So all-in-all Hong Kong mail is pretty efficient.

Im gonna buy a few glaciers and a few more Plat. Jr's. to sell.. Ill put up some pics of the Glacier as soon as i get them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back