Gran Turismo

amazon give you a $10 credit if the game shows up late :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Doh UPS fail for me, they sent it to the wrong sorting facility. I got the game shipped for $45 using a $10 promo, and get another $10 promo credit from GT5. So not really worth it to me to cancel and hit a local store for $60 + tax....sux to be me!

the car in that screenshot looks like a plastic toy.... why does it have that weird sheen to it? like they put plastic wrap all over it or something.

Are you kidding? Low poly, low texture detail, jaggies, low model detail (rear lights are just textures, same for the detailing like the badge). I'm sure there's more, but that's a good start. :p

It's the same car from GT4... just looking a little nicer in the much better lighting engine of GT5.

Sounds right for a console.

Wasn't really saying otherwise, but there's not a lot anyone can do about it. The Logitech wheel lacks the security chip required to make it run on the 360, and can't handle the way the 360 does force feedback... so it's never going to work.

That's why I waited until I could get a wheel which worked on both. Not ideal, but that's life I guess.

I got bored of waiting about 2 years before they brought out the fanatecs and got the g25 instead. If they had of figured out a way to make it work (and I'm sure they could have written some software that would) I would have bought a 360 3 years ago.

So what do you guys reckon, as someone who loves racing sims (gtr evo, race, rfactor, live for speed), should I drop $500AUD on a ps3 and GT5, or stick to pc sims? The graphical inconsistency is putting me off a bit, I won't lie in that graphics are a big part of the reason I'm drawn to GT5. I assume the physics and force feedback are either worse or no better than the plethora of much cheaper pc sims.

Anywhere you can try the game?

I could try it in a shop, but that seems a bit pointless as far as in a shop I'll be using a controller but otherwise I'll be using the G25, amazingly none of my group of gaming friends own a ps3. Suppose it would be a good idea to check out the graphics/framerate/glitches though. Are there premium cars available from very beginning to test in a quickrace mode?

I think the only other one that was affordable was the new Honda Civic Hatch in the new car dealerships.

So maybe I'm just dumb, but how do you change the physics level like in Prologue? I set steering to realistic and turned off TCS and all the other BS assists, is that all there is to do?

Sadly, physics is currently tied to the difficulty of the race. Later races have more realistic physics and damage models.

Very puzzling design decision, IMO.

Sadly, physics is currently tied to the difficulty of the race. Later races have more realistic physics and damage models.

Very puzzling design decision, IMO.

Wait, what? That sounds like the most retarded thing ever. "So you like simulators? Now just play for several hours to unlock simulator mode". What were they smoking?

Wait, what? That sounds like the most retarded thing ever. "So you like simulators? Now just play for several hours to unlock simulator mode". What were they smoking?

I don't get it, why would they do this? You'd think SIM fans would want to use features they've waited 6 years for after buying the game, not unlocking them through some RPG level system.

From what I've been reading, there is a LOT of grinding in this game... for some reason.

played through some of the game and used the gamestop promo code to get a mclaren f1 stealth edition.

delete that save file and im going to start fresh. what sucks is you have to buy a used car before even doing license tests. wish i didnt have to spend that 20k. my goal is to get a viper acr before the end of today!

From what I've been reading, there is a LOT of grinding in this game... for some reason.

Grinding for cars is fine as long as the career mode is laid out nicely. Grinding to unlock physics and damage models on the other hand is stupid.

****sakes u have to do another install to play/join a lounge? what a ****ing joke. this game feels incomplete.

i reckon the online portion should have been beta tested. the thing that pisses me off the most is besides the **** AI, **** menu's and **** loading times and broken online mode, the actual race gameplay, physics, handling and graphics are amazing

EA's fifa 11 does the exact same thing as GT5 i.e does background sending and receiving data continuesly through the menu's and when playing a game btu because its done on a background thread, it never interferes with the main thread(the ui, the actual game etc..)

Last edited:
More bitching:

Why are the load times so pathetically long? I quit Forza 3 because of load times, and GT5 isn't any better. The career menu takes what feels like a century to load every time...

Why does it still install stuff every time I click a new option if I already supposedly preinstalled 6.5gb worth of stuff? Why doesn't it install EVERYTHING?

On a side note the racing part of the game is great. Just sucks that more time is spent at loading screens than actually racing.

More bitching:

Why are the load times so pathetically long? I quit Forza 3 because of load times, and GT5 isn't any better. The career menu takes what feels like a century to load every time...

Why does it still install stuff every time I click a new option if I already supposedly preinstalled 6.5gb worth of stuff? Why doesn't it install EVERYTHING?

On a side note the racing part of the game is great. Just sucks that more time is spent at loading screens than actually racing.

the game is continuesly sending and receiving data via http or socket connection on the same Thread. i can actually visualize how they coded it and a recent graduate seems to have coded that part of the game!!!

EA's fifa 11 does the exact same thing as GT5 i.e does background sending and receiving data continuesly through the menu's and when playing a game btu because its done on a background thread, it never interferes with the main thread(the ui, the actual game etc..)

played through some of the game and used the gamestop promo code to get a mclaren f1 stealth edition.

delete that save file and im going to start fresh. what sucks is you have to buy a used car before even doing license tests. wish i didnt have to spend that 20k. my goal is to get a viper acr before the end of today!

You get a F1 for to use for free? Or just for arcade mode?!

Even though the game looks like shit is it at least 60fps during races at 720p?

More bitching:

If you look back there was a guy saying you had to say NO to the prompt to install, then it would do the pre-installation. Otherwise it would install as you went. Maybe this is where you went wrong? I have no info to back this up however.

Makes it feel like real life.
You know... how it takes a lot of hard work and time to get a nice car.
If I can drive everything off the bat, I kinda lose interest.

I love the rags to riches feeling of GT.

man, im a pretty casual gt fan but the kart racing is soo much fun. of course playing with a wheel is a must. loving this game.

If you look back there was a guy saying you had to say NO to the prompt to install, then it would do the pre-installation. Otherwise it would install as you went. Maybe this is where you went wrong? I have no info to back this up however.

Even after doing the install (I did it), browsing cars and going to races it still has patches of installation indicator in the lower right corner.

The graphics seem very inconsistent, the city courses look freaking amazing, but courses like Trial Mountain are like... so bleh.

Another post:

It appears Sony removed brake upgrades from the game to "save space"... not sure I agree with that. Hmm... why remove brake upgrades? lol.

It appears Sony removed brake upgrades from the game to "save space"... not sure I agree with that. Hmm... why remove brake upgrades? lol.
It's bullshit. The only reason to remove brake upgrades from the game is so they didn't have to model the different calipers etc for each set of wheels.

You'd save dev time, not space (besides, they had tons of space available to them).

wow, fuck me i totally forgot about this. I have a preorder CE edition too, gotta grab that tomorow.

Is there any reason the shifter on my g27 is not working but the light on it is on and the buttons work? I can't get the car to go into reverse using the stick. Apparently the top black button is reverse. How do i fix this?

Is there any reason the shifter on my g27 is not working but the light on it is on and the buttons work? I can't get the car to go into reverse using the stick. Apparently the top black button is reverse. How do i fix this?

I don't own the racing wheel, nor have I messed with the options for it. But in the game options menu it seemed there were various sub menus for racing wheels. Might want to check that out, sorry if you've already done that. Hope you figure it out. :(

EDIT: Rally racing is looking like a complete f*ckin' blast, you can get some awesome powerslides going. Very cool.

wow, fuck me i totally forgot about this. I have a preorder CE edition too, gotta grab that tomorow.

Well, it was 8:33 when I realized the game was out today, and a quick check told me my local EB games closes at 9pm, and its a 20min drive....Made it in 12min to pickup the preorder that I set countless months ago....I was getting new tires for my vehicle tomorrow anyways :)
CE installing at the moment.

Back