Gran Turismo

yea it does but its a bit flakey. sometimes u go into neutral when u change gear and cant change gears using the gear stick at all and have to revert to using the two flap triggers on our wheels to do it!

i just started playing GT5. Its my first GT game since GT3 on the ps2. I must say im not lost at all with the driving. The physics are exactly what I expected. The menus are great , and with the tips popping up here and there you know where to go.

I know the graphics are the talk of the town , and yes there is some weird thing going on , especially the shadows. But overall the graphics are good, very good.

I just cant wait to dig deeper in the game and acquire better cars. Im eyeing the Mini cooper 05 since my dad own one of those, but i was sad to see that there is no John cooper booster mini, my dads own one and its awesome on a track.

Does this game really suck or something? Everyone seems to be complaining but its nit pick type stuff. Is it awesome with a few flaws or is it actually not good?

What's the easiest way to make money right now?

The special events races like NASCAR and Kart racing yields a lot of money. If you get Gold, it gives you the cumulative amount if you were to get bronze, silver and gold.

Example:

Gold - 10,000
Silver - 5,000
Bronze - 1,000

If you get gold, you would get 16,000 instead of 10,000.

Does this game really suck or something? Everyone seems to be complaining but its nit pick type stuff. Is it awesome with a few flaws or is it actually not good?

it does not suck. Many people complain about it because it took so much time developping it they were waiting for the next messiah.

the game is not only good, its great.

Goddamn at the menus in this game. Utterly insane.

I swear that my X button is going to wear out before I'm done. :D

Textuality

I wont be racing online much until the new year I reckon. Too busy with work.

So um....I tried joining an online game.....

I guess it was still in qualifyings and I'm a person who cant read...but it game wouldnt allow me to leave, whenever i click leave, it would just give me that little dodo sound and refuses to let me leave game. With no other options to select, I had to completely quit GT5 to get out of that infinite lap game. It apparently had been going on for 55 minutes.....

I'm wondering if this is some bug?

So um....I tried joining an online game.....

I guess it was still in qualifyings and I'm a person who cant read...but it game wouldnt allow me to leave, whenever i click leave, it would just give me that little dodo sound and refuses to let me leave game. With no other options to select, I had to completely quit GT5 to get out of that infinite lap game. It apparently had been going on for 55 minutes.....

I'm wondering if this is some bug?

Happened to me a few times.

It's pretty good but with all the dev time, delays, and hype we were all expecting a Forza killer... but it's not. The modding/tuning system is still kind of primitive compared to Forza, the load times are just as bad and it has to load something just about every time you press a button it seems, only 1/5th the cars have high quality models and cockpit view, etc.

I must say though I did the 2nd rank AMG driving school special event last night and it was an intense experience. That SLS flys!

this game doesnt suck its just all these minor flaws add up, hurt the game. The shadows being terrible, no excuse for that, the jaggy edges when u go through smoke is rediculous and the low res cockpits arent any good. with a few patches, this game could go from good to great, but current states its just good. i hope they work hard and get the issues fixed, ive been a gt fan since the beginning. i remember when gran turismo use to be the benchmark for consoles(ps1 & ps2) technology and graphics but its taking a back seat to forza this time around.

I've spent several hours with the game at this point. Here are my notes, mostly comparing to GT4.

1. 1080p graphics are nice compared to the old 1080i. Models and textures are better, though nowhere near the offerings we have seen on the PC from Codemasters IMHO.
2. 5.1 LPCM for the sound rocks.
3. Wasn't this game supposed to have damage? I can hit a wall going 150MPH and not even crack the windshield. I haven't seen any damage.
4. Same for the AI. Slightly better than GT4, but marginal.
5. This game is much better balanced. GT4 was very easy to get into a place where you couldn't win the races with the car you had and didn't have the means to buy a better car. You would have to do the easy races many, many times to get enough money to buy a car. This was mad worse by the fact that many of the prize cars had no sale value,. On GT5, it seems that you get more money for winning the early races, as well better prize cars. This makes the game much more playable for those who aren't awesome at the game.
6. Poor clutch support for G27. Everything else seems to be supported well on it though.
7. Many of the same races/cups in the game as GT4.
8. I like the gameplay on this, other than the lack of damage. The racing mechanic seems very good, though not noticably different from GT4.
9. Car upgrades are good, but why can't we upgrade the brakes any more?
10. Standard cars suck. The models are ok, but the lack of cockpit view ruins it. This is made worse by the fact that some races require certain classes of vehicles for which I couldn't find any premium cars.
11. The five free cars that come with the CE (and the amazon preorder car) break a lot of the game. These cars make it virtually impossible to lose any of the races that I have played so far.

Overall, I will likely end up playing this much more than GT4. My wife likes it as well. Anyone expecting a new game will be disappointed however. This probably could have been called GT 4.5 It seems as if they took GT4 as a starting point and then upgrading the graphics, sound, and menu structure. They then added in the new premium cars and online mode. I am sure it is much more than that, but on the outside that is what it seems.

Hmmm I see, it seems like the only people who have complaints are those that own racing wheels, I think since you are so intense with your racing games you tend to judge racing games very harshly? It seems everyone here uses cockpit view and a racing wheel, I have only known a single person that even owned a racing wheel, am I to guess that the game is great for the more casual types who just want to race and buy car upgrades?

Hmmm I see, it seems like the only people who have complaints are those that own racing wheels, I think since you are so intense with your racing games you tend to judge racing games very harshly? It seems everyone here uses cockpit view and a racing wheel, I have only known a single person that even owned a racing wheel, am I to guess that the game is great for the more casual types who just want to race and buy car upgrades?

Seems like a casual would have more fun with a different racing game. GT5 is a simulation racing game which doesn't really appeal to me. I'm just basing my experience off of my roommate's game and his wheel. It's fun for 1 or 2 races, but I seriously don't see my self playing this game for hours at a time like I did with other more 'casual' racers. Races are strictly speaking ... boring... since it's just driving in a bland course (I get it - they exist IRL, but IRL stuff is boring) with no flashy stuff. Since I'm not really a diehard race fan or a car fanatic, there's very little appeal in that aspect. Also, it really is disappointing that bad console graphics and the restriction to 1 monitor really dumbed down the overall experience for me compared to PC racing games.

Seems like a casual would have more fun with a different racing game. GT5 is a simulation racing game which doesn't really appeal to me. I'm just basing my experience off of my roommate's game and his wheel. It's fun for 1 or 2 races, but I seriously don't see my self playing this game for hours at a time like I did with other more 'casual' racers. Races are strictly speaking ... boring... since it's just driving in a bland course (I get it - they exist IRL, but IRL stuff is boring) with no flashy stuff. Since I'm not really a diehard race fan or a car fanatic, there's very little appeal in that aspect. Also, it really is disappointing that bad console graphics and the restriction to 1 monitor really dumbed down the overall experience for me compared to PC racing games.

The arcade mode is quite fun.
Im a career player so its all about the grind, but if you looking to drop into a fancy car and blast it around a track, arcade satisfies that need....Combined with the fact that if you ever want to take that step, your just an icon away from the full experience....and common, Trial Mountain in the trans-am is just awesome for an arcade mode.

I don't think I could play the game if I was a casual racer. You simply wont be able to progress past a certain point and you'll end up back in arcade. That's fine if you like that, but there's arcade racers which are far better suited to that task.

Good sim racing games (to me at least) are about perfecting how you drive each lap. Each time learning the line through corners slightly better to get a better run down the straight, learning the braking points better, learning how to control the weight transfers of the car to set yourself up with the optimum acceleration at any given time. A good sim is one where I can spend quite a lot of time in one car on one track just learning the nuances of both the vehicle and the road.

To me its not about whether the track is a real life track or not, because I dont really follow real life motorsports that much (watching cars go around a track lap after lap I find quite boring :p). Yet I can waste a lot of time in racing simulations.

If you aren't into that sort of thing, then there are other racers more suited to your needs ;) But I think most people who like racing sims got into them from more arcade modes of simulators. Personally I really enjoyed Sega GT on the Xbox, then got into Forza, which after sinking about 80 hours into the game (with most assists on and the AI not on hard) I decided to buy a wheel to get more out of it... then once I had a wheel I thought why not try out some PC racing games, which lead to buying a better wheel and in the end getting hooked on the more serious racing sims ;)

I really did enjoy Forza myself, in a way, racing games have their own rpg elements. You gain money instead of experience and adding to your car is just like adding to your stats in other games. Gain something but you end up missing other things and a fair amount of grind before you can take on the big boss races. My problem with Forza was the lack of tracks. I had Forza 3 and there was like...12 tracks? Then you just play the same tracks in reverse, way way too few tracks.

Downloading 1.02 update...

To continue the conversation, I don't understand how people can race with a controller. I used to play GT4 with a controller, but would get frustrated and put it up. While most people won't have a wheel and setup, most people also won't put much time into a racing game before moving on to something else. I've never known anyone to sit down with a controller and spend an entire Saturday playing a racing game.

I had Forza 3 and there was like...12 tracks? Then you just play the same tracks in reverse, way way too few tracks.
24 before variations. 12 real world tracks.

Not a great deal more in GT5 to be honest. Seems to be a few more when you take into account variations though. Plus you have the course generator for rally.

24 before variations. 12 real world tracks.

Not a great deal more in GT5 to be honest. Seems to be a few more when you take into account variations though. Plus you have the course generator for rally.

Well, also GT5s tracks are straight up better. I loved Forza, but found myself loathing most of the tracks. The street courses in GT5 are all so solid and Cape Ring may be the best track I've ever played - the recreation of Turn 8 at Istanbul is so welcome.

It's pretty good but with all the dev time, delays, and hype we were all expecting a Forza killer... but it's not. The modding/tuning system is still kind of primitive compared to Forza, the load times are just as bad and it has to load something just about every time you press a button it seems, only 1/5th the cars have high quality models and cockpit view, etc.

I must say though I did the 2nd rank AMG driving school special event last night and it was an intense experience. That SLS flys!

Sorry, if it's already been asked, but...

If you didn't already own a PS3, would you have bought it solely just for GT5?

I wasn't going to consider a PS3 'til GT5, but nothing I'm reading's getting me excited.

Then again, I own a PS2 and all of the GTs, and have no interesting in wanting to play them again either, so for myself I imagine I've already answered my own question.

But then again again, I did buy a PS2 just for GT4 (and when the wheel came out ahead of it, I bought the previous GTs to get me set for GT4), and did enjoy it and didn't regret it, so maybe just too much time's passed for myself, and too many other titles on the PC to consider.

Buy a PS3 for GT5? I'd return GT5 to Best Buy if that was possible.

Now Uncharted 2, I'd buy a PS3 for that.

Sorry, if it's already been asked, but...

If you didn't already own a PS3, would you have bought it solely just for GT5?

I wasn't going to consider a PS3 'til GT5, but nothing I'm reading's getting me excited.

Then again, I own a PS2 and all of the GTs, and have no interesting in wanting to play them again either, so for myself I imagine I've already answered my own question.

But then again again, I did buy a PS2 just for GT4 (and when the wheel came out ahead of it, I bought the previous GTs to get me set for GT4), and did enjoy it and didn't regret it, so maybe just too much time's passed for myself, and too many other titles on the PC to consider.

Yes i would have bought a ps3 for gt5. it is truelly an amazing game but only if you have a wheel. with a pad its fine but with a wheel its a masterpiece in terms of actual handling and physics.

Its as realistic as rfactor and gtr evo IMO but with more cars and tracks you can think of and soooooo many game modes that will keep you hooked for a year or so!

their are soo many great games on the ps3 though. gears of war 3, uncharted 1 and 2 as someone mentioned, killzone 2, heavy rain, etc etc. there is soo many great games on the ps3 that you would be enjoying the games i just mentioned as well has gt5 if you like realistic racing sims

Yes i would have bought a ps3 for gt5. it is truelly an amazing game but only if you have a wheel. with a pad its fine but with a wheel its a masterpiece in terms of actual handling and physics.

I do have a G25. Don't use it enough to justify a G27 upgrade though, regardless of PC/PS3.

their are soo many great games on the ps3 though. gears of war 3, uncharted 1 and 2 as someone mentioned, killzone 2, heavy rain, etc etc. there is soo many great games on the ps3 that you would be enjoying the games i just mentioned as well has gt5 if you like realistic racing sims

If your going to mention exclusives for the PS3 being awesome at least get them right.. you probably ment God of War 3.

You mentioned like 5% of the PS3's best exclusives.

spent $35 at homedepot and 40 min of work, now i have my wheel setup. it's not pretty but its solid, stable, has lots of room and just made the game 10x more fun to play.

Back