GPU is getting power but no image

I have two graphics cards which are both getting power on their main and memory phases and become hot really quickly when powered on. That's why I concluded the their power supply ist working correctly but they still won't show an image.
I'm new in the graphics card repair section and therefore don't know if this is really caused by a dead die or whether there are still other stages in between which could be the source of the problem.

The cards are a R9 270 and a R9 290 and i also cleaned the pcbs and ports thoroughly to exclude any corrosion or debris.

I would welcome any kind of advise for a newbie ;)

What actual model are they? Reference boards?

Is the auxiliary rail (the big single phase buck converter near the DP connector on the 290) running?

IIRC, you should have ~1.2V on the core rail, 1.5 on the memory rail, and 1.0V on the aux rail. What resistance to ground do you have on each one with the card off and on the bench?

Edit: Also, have you ruled out the possibility that they have some sort of hacked BIOS image on them?

What actual model are they? Reference boards?

Is the auxiliary rail (the big single phase buck converter near the DP connector on the 290) running?

IIRC, you should have ~1.2V on the core rail, 1.5 on the memory rail, and 1.0V on the aux rail. What resistance to ground do you have on each one with the card off and on the bench?

Edit: Also, have you ruled out the possibility that they have some sort of hacked BIOS image on them?
The 290 is the reference but the 270 is the PowerColor Devil.
The 290 has around 5,2 ohms on the die and 126 on the memory. If I'm right and that's the correct coil the auxiliary rail should have 61,2 ohms.
The 270 has 5,3 on main power. Im not sure which of the other phases are what but i suspect the memory has 121 even though its a small coil. The other two are 82 and 67.5 ohms.
I sadly can't measure the voltages since my test board broke and I also don't have a low power graphics card yet to rule out the faulty bios.
But since both are on their way I'll update you once they are there.

But thanks anyway for your quick reply and ideas :)

My test board arrived today and I can finally take the measurements now:
The voltages on the 270 seem perfectly normal and the 290 has 0,95 on vCore - which i suspect to be fine. vMem is 1.65 and these two phases have 1V. I'm not sure but I think one of them should be 0.8. The one in the rear has 7v even though its probably the 5v rail and I supply that shouldn't be the case.

My old x58 system always wanted a cmos reset before it would pick up hardware changes like a different video card .. you could try it .

My old x58 system always wanted a cmos reset before it would pick up hardware changes like a different video card .. you could try it .
I don't think that's the case since I tried it on two different PCs and both are used with many different cards (since im trying to get into gpu repair) and I never had any problems with the setup. 🤷‍♂️

One thing that plagued my previous build was using a slightly older monitor(TV w/ HDMI) and having massive amount of issues. Turns out the entire problem was with the TV itself. My TV worked perfectly with a prior build, but the new build would never show up on screen. Finally got a newer TV and that completely resolved the issue and my build worked perfectly. Don't make the same mistake I made, try it on multiple monitors.

I'm very sure that this isn't the case since I use the monitors for many card and never had a problem with them.

Back