Gpu has exceeded temperature threshold

Hi there, sorry for taking so long. I still have the same problem until now and it won't stop happening no matter what the temperature is inside the room. The GPU has 2 fans and I added 2 more top and side. The temperature goes, with spared delay, to 95 percent max temp and the room gets hot with it totally. So I want to ask if something else is causing the heat. Is it a pcb bend? GPU processor is truly dead? Problem with the GPU pcie socket yellow tip?

Go load MSI afterburner software and drop memory clock to 1200, -100 core voltage and see if that helps.
Mine runs faster at memory underclock, timings are better.
If I undervolt and down clock temps improve by -15 C. Leave GPU clock at 1050 default.

Just did as you said. 1000MHZ core clock, 1200MHz memory clock. Running FFXV, temps are 94 C.

Ok... so did you disable v-sync at some point? If so, re-enable v-sync and your temps should drop significantly unless the game you are playing taxes the card even at 60fps.

Hi there, sorry for taking so long. I still have the same problem until now and it won't stop happening no matter what the temperature is inside the room. The GPU has 2 fans and I added 2 more top and side. The temperature goes, with spared delay, to 95 percent max temp and the room gets hot with it totally. So I want to ask if something else is causing the heat. Is it a pcb bend? GPU processor is truly dead? Problem with the GPU pcie socket yellow tip?
Are you venting the hot air out of the room at all?

I did not just disable vsync, I actually went to the registry key, located as 0000/UMD and started adjusting all values with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 down to 0 and 30 [thank GOD I wrote all strings with their original value on a note on my phone app] and so for what I thought could cause better results with gaming. I am running windows update version of Radeon driver, which includes not Radeon settings. So I only have afterburner to temper with and RTSS. Did this cause a trouble?

2nd try, 803MHz core, 1200MHz memory and temp is rising while writing this reply XD,, well, was 86 now 87 and no change. [Update reply]

No, weather was hot for a couple of days. Now ok. 27 at most in morning. So, it is not that high anymore

Settings now, 533MHz clock, 1100MHz memory, -45 power limit. Temp is less than 80 C on FFXV 900P resolution and settings on high. And that's as far down as I can go, I guess...

It should be noted that 90C+ is not unusual for the 390X. What you're describing sounds pretty hot, but it's not really outside the range of normal for this particular GPU design.

What type of heatsink does this card have?

No, weather was hot for a couple of days. Now ok. 27 at most in morning. So, it is not that high anymore
still 7+ hotter than most people keep their ambient. if thats the am temp its gonna go way up during the day. make sure that your heatsink it nice and tight after you cleaned and applied new paste. you did do that right? then it is running within the limits of that card, not much more you can do other than invest in an a/c unit to cool your room properly.

I ran two of these cards and they were EXTREMELY hot. I just had to leave the side off if I wanted to game.

This may be already answered and I missed it but did you check in AB that the fans were going to 100% @ 80-90C? Also you said you were using the microsoft default driver instead of AMD, any reason for that?

This may be already answered and I missed it but did you check in AB that the fans were going to 100% @ 80-90C? Also you said you were using the microsoft default driver instead of AMD, any reason for that?
^^^ that is a good point.
op install the new drivers and make sure that fan control is working correctly.

Fans are running to 100% already, Microsoft drivers were installed by default. Seems working pretty good. Didn't care about Radeon settings that much to install new driver, that's all...

Not AM temp, day temp is 27 C. Heat sink is factory's heatsink.
Right, but what type is it? A couple of types of heatsinks existed for these cards.

One type looks sort of like this, commonly called a "blower." These suck.
IMG_4517.JPG

Another type looks like this. These are commonly called axial flow coolers, and they're much better.
IMG_4518.JPG

The blower type has a heatsink inside that shroud that looks like this. See how small it is compared to the massive stack of fins on the axial flow heatsink? Also, note that this particular heatsink's fins are delaminating from the base. That can cause it to cool poorly as well.
IMG_4519.JPG

So, if you're running the fans at full blast, cooled the room down to a reasonable temperature, and have a crummy blower heatsink, it really may just not be able to keep up with the heat that card produces. Even the axial flow card I showed a picture of (that's a 390) runs about as hot as you're describing.

no idea what youre talking about there.
There are, I read on Google, few sites, that write about a key in registry with many values that controls the GPU video settings and can change it just like in Radeon settings and even more. That is like Radeon mod or Radeon pro software. But the difference is you have the registry values freely to temper with...

Sell that POS GPU and put it towards a more current Gen GPU that you can afford. Problem solved 🤪

There are, I read on Google, few sites, that write about a key in registry with many values that controls the GPU video settings and can change it just like in Radeon settings and even more. That is like Radeon mod or Radeon pro software. But the difference is you have the registry values freely to temper with...
Just use Afterburner/Trixx/whatever AMD calls the built-in one in the drivers these days.

Theoretically, yeah, you can mess with all the settings via the registry, but you don't really gain anything versus just using the software unless you're doing some kind competitive overclocking.

But yeah, as N370zed suggested, the easy, but not free, solution here is to replace this card with a newer, more efficient one. Something like an RX580 can be had pretty cheap that would offer a bit better performance, but with like half the power and heat.

I already aim to replace it. That is through selling it. Right now I have a problem that I think no one will be willing to buy the graphics card for..
You say there is no specific cause for this?

I would install the AMD drivers first and see if that helps at all.

One other thing that could be causing the high temps is if one of the cooler heatpipes died. It is very rare, but I have seen it happen a few times. When it does, cooling performance goes out the window. You ain't see nothin' till you have seen all the pipes die on an old Dell tower with a Pentium 4. All the fans go to max speed (finger chopping off speed) and it sounds like a very loud vacuum cleaner.

Forget registry values and get the official AMD drivers! May not fix the problem but should have been one of the first things done. DDU is warranted in this kind of scenario.

Heatpipes empty on the cooler? Any sudden sound like gases under pressure escaping? A new card would solve your problem as previously stated.

What is the delta T between case ambient and GPU running full tilt? Mine is 39 C to 80 C max under Kraken loop. Was 90 C tops with XFX stock cooler.

Too many people "measurebate" over temp specs, as long as it does not shutdown enjoy it. The VRM and other chips are rated to 120 C.

I already aim to replace it. That is through selling it. Right now I have a problem that I think no one will be willing to buy the graphics card for..
You say there is no specific cause for this?
Resale on used card is about 100 bucks there is nothing wrong with those stock cooler temps.
If you stay with AMD get a 5700XT around 400 USD.
Here is the upgrade reality if you stay at 2K and do not need RTX/DLSS you will notice very little game performance increase on a free sync system. If you need 4K and RT go Nvidia, but be prepared to rationalize putting out 1200.

Back