Hi all,,

I have this rig
Intel core I5-4440 3.1GHz
16GB RAM 1600MHz
Gigabyte B85-HD3
AMD R9 390X gaming MSI 8GB
Seasonic 850FX focus 80+ Gold
120GB ssd for system

I just bought the PSU like a month ago then after some days the gpu started to have normal gaming temperature from 90 to 95 which exceeds normal temperature. I have no experience about why nor how. So please help.

The power supply itself would not increase the temp of the gpu. Most likely you need to replace the thermal paste on the gpu. And I’d be willing to bet you bumped the gpu when changing the psu.

Physically check to see that the fans are working. If so, download a program like Afterburner and make a custom fan curve and turn the fan speed up to see if that makes a difference. If not you may need to redo the thermal compound.

I am indeed working with afterburner for fans and lowering base clock a bit and increase wattage

Fan are working properly.

are the fans actually working? if so, remove the heat sink, clean it and apply new paste and then set a custom curve in AB.

As said fans are working. If it is necessary to redo the thermal paste process, that's fine.

Any other cause to the high temperature?
dirty heatsink fins or old paste thats dried up and stuck in place. when you changed the psu you may have bumped the gpu heatsink causing a "break" in the old paste and now its not transferring the heat as well. clean and re-paste it.

What the others said.

Also, make sure the card is getting sufficient air flow in the case. If the case and heat sinks are dusty, cables aren’t properly managed, etc, the card will have a hard time accessing fresh cool air and exhausting heat.

Additionally, if the PSU is bottom mount, make sure the fan is mounted down. Drawing air from the inside of the case will pull some air away from the GPU. That probably won’t be the sole reason for a temperate spike, but it can contribute.

With all this made and considered, gpu is still starting games with 90 degrees. Any other way to understand this?

Should be way less. Are you sure the heatsink is mounted correctly?

And for testing purposes, set fan to 100% in afterburner.

There are 4 screws holes in the heatsink on which the metal platter in mounted. You can't miss this. So yes it is surely well placed.

Plus i clean the case everytime it is dirty with a blower. So i guess this problem is of something else. Temp is fixed on 94 while IN the game and 70-80 in menus without high load, 45-50 while in disktop.

Holy crap, 40 degrees C?

If it's really approaching 40 degrees Celsius in the room, that may be why. It's been a while since I used a Hawaii card for actual games, but I seem to recall 90ish degrees being within reach for them even when it was only about 25 degrees in the room.

I think it is 40 degrees or so it feels. Pc is running on 94 degrees and it's humid. If turned off pc it gets better here within room

Gpu was always running good even after buying the psu and temps were just as fine as before. Only later it becomes like this and maybe the only thing to look at was the bumping of 50%+ wattage and that is now off since yesterday when i made factory reset from radeon setting and also msi afterburner. Could there be any other problem related that caused the heating?

Also during movie cutscenes the temp decreases to 80 degrees instantly! Which means it heats up inside the game while rendering...

Not higher than 40 celcius. Case side is already open 2 months ago.
you right near the beach?! 40c is HOT!! and will drive your temps up. still clean it and repaste it but dont be surprised if it doesnt come down a tonne.
edit: my house is 21c under full load my card tops out at ~60c. so add 20c and your gpu is going to be ~80c.

Try download Hw info and run the monitor only startup while you load any benchmark.
Then there is a section in the recordet info from HW info that shows the fans rmp and other usefull stuff.

Look if the both fans has the same rpm or if they blow on full load or half load.
But yes get some quality thermal paste and make sure you get it even out, so you dont miss any spots.

I had to RMA my 2080 ti RTX card since it was doing something similar. Gigabyte replaced the thermal paste for me cuz it was still a new card.

Gpu was always running good even after buying the psu and temps were just as fine as before. Only later it becomes like this and maybe the only thing to look at was the bumping of 50%+ wattage and that is now off since yesterday when i made factory reset from radeon setting and also msi afterburner. Could there be any other problem related that caused the heating?
no your psu wattage does not affect your gpu. now if you mean you bumped the core voltage to +50% in afterburner, that will raise temps.

Yes i understand. But it isn't 80. As when the game renders it goes straight up to 90 then 94 then 95. That is not the weather all the time though. It was so ths morning and yesterday's morning and during night it is under 30 degrees. Back to topic, problems seems to me more of a technical than related to weather. As mentioned the temps goes straight up instantly and down the same way and slowly from 70 and lesser. So i just made sure nothing in the case is blocking air to gpu fans. It's okay. Still temps are 94 93 95. No change ingame

Yes i understand. But it isn't 80. As when the game renders it goes straight up to 90 then 94 then 95. That is not the weather all the time though. It was so ths morning and yesterday's morning and during night it is under 30 degrees. Back to topic, problems seems to me more of a technical than related to weather. As mentioned the temps goes straight up instantly and down the same way and slowly from 70 and lesser. So i just made sure nothing in the case is blocking air to gpu fans. It's okay. Still temps are 94 93 95. No change ingame
did you clean it yet?

think it is 40 degrees
ok youve cleaned it and repasted it so maybe its the 10c temp increase

Did you install new drivers recently? I've had issues with drivers not functioning properly with my Titan (different brand, I know) but maybe try falling back to a previous install or updating and see if that helps.

Nope, no new drivers. Actually it's been many summers like this and gpu never exceeded up that much at all. That's scary to me and i feel it's related to something else. Max temp remembered never exceeded 90, and never i recall 90 ever at all.

Nope. From several, I play a game mmorpg called Rappelz. I used to play it on old laptop so it can be playable through it with certain low settings, those i play with on this pc and the temps go 60 and above it :/

Also i noticed recently that gpu does not reach max clock 1100 as usual. Before in metro exodus menu clock was 1100 MHz (max) constantly and now it is below this clock and not constant. It is variating all the time.

So to clear the problem, gpu temps are getting hot on load directly no difference between one game and another. Clocks are under default during menus and ingame where it used to be at full clock speed which is 1100MHz. Thermal paste reapplied 3 times and cleaned as well and ensured to have proper space for air fluidity. Please help.

So to clear the problem, gpu temps are getting hot on load directly no difference between one game and another. Clocks are under default during menus and ingame where it used to be at full clock speed which is 1100MHz. Thermal paste reapplied 3 times and cleaned as well and ensured to have proper space for air fluidity. Please help.
get some a/c. if my 280x would hit 75+ with 21c ambient temp, your 390x hitting 90+ with 40c ambient sounds about right.

Back