Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I am really looking at getting the 37" Westinghouse. I need some serious encouragement. This has probably already been answered but, will Westinghouse still make you pay for shipping to get something fixed if it just broke? Thats whats stopping me. I can justify a grand for a monitor, but not if I have to spend hundreds on shipping to get my product in working order after i buy it. That would be dumb.

let me know. Thx

I believe that shipping costs are on you unless you really know how to sweet talk the folks at Westinghouse.

I got my Sharp 32" AQUOS set up last night and I still don't know what to do with the Westy. I'd really like to open it and do a comparison, but if I end up sending it back it might be easier to avoid restocking fees if it's still sealed. Not sure at this point whether to send it back to PC Nation for a refund and eat the shipping fees, try sell it on the forums at a slight loss, or keep it and use it as a TV. I sort of want to keep it because I got the 3 year in home warranty for peace of mind, but this TV apparently isn't that great for SD television. Judging by the pics above, I'm sure DVDs would look great, though!

I believe that shipping costs are on you unless you really know how to sweet talk the folks at Westinghouse.

I got my Sharp 32" AQUOS set up last night and I still don't know what to do with the Westy. I'd really like to open it and do a comparison, but if I end up sending it back it might be easier to avoid restocking fees if it's still sealed. Not sure at this point whether to send it back to PC Nation for a refund and eat the shipping fees, try sell it on the forums at a slight loss, or keep it and use it as a TV. I sort of want to keep it because I got the 3 year in home warranty for peace of mind, but this TV apparently isn't that great for SD television. Judging by the pics above, I'm sure DVDs would look great, though!

SD TV doesn't look that bad if you watch TV 4~5 feet away.

Well, the FAQ for this thread is finally ready. :D
If a mod would be so kind to post it on the first page or whatever. Just let me know who can do it and I can send it over.

Well, the FAQ for this thread is finally ready. :D
If a mod would be so kind to post it on the first page or whatever. Just let me know who can do it and I can send it over.

PM me the FAQ and I'll add it to the first page. Thanks!

Well guys sorry I have been away for so long. I had to catch up on all of the reading. So glade to hear the FAQ is done, and sorry I couldn't help (school got crazy at the end of last quarter). I love this freaking thread, as I type on my westy I can't help but be so happy that I have one. Just got an new laptop replacement and I hate vista!

Well back on topic, I haven't seen the sharp monitors, but would not buy due to overall value of westy. I am sure it is amazing, but i am still amazed by mine and it is 5" bigger. I hate how the dvd's look on my 360 and much perfer my comp to do the job instead. I do want to pick up the HD-DVD drive for it later.

Also has anybody got the 32" 720p westy. I want to get one for my sons room so he can hook all of his things including his tv to it.

I hate how the dvd's look on my 360 and much perfer my comp to do the job instead.
Really? It's quite the opposite for me. So sharp on the X360 and so blurry on PC. Interesting.

Also has anybody got the 32" 720p westy. I want to get one for my sons room so he can hook all of his things including his tv to it.
I saw it at BB when it was on sale at $699 and I would have bought it had I not found a good deal on the Westy. It was clearly hooked up to a HD signal and it was on par with all the Bravias and Samsungs around it as far as picture quality was concerned. Can't really say anything about issues, though, as I don't own it.

Well guys sorry I have been away for so long. I had to catch up on all of the reading. So glade to hear the FAQ is done, and sorry I couldn't help (school got crazy at the end of last quarter). I love this freaking thread, as I type on my westy I can't help but be so happy that I have one. Just got an new laptop replacement and I hate vista!

Well back on topic, I haven't seen the sharp monitors, but would not buy due to overall value of westy. I am sure it is amazing, but i am still amazed by mine and it is 5" bigger. I hate how the dvd's look on my 360 and much perfer my comp to do the job instead. I do want to pick up the HD-DVD drive for it later.

I owned the 32" 720p Westy (32w6 I think?) for a bit. It was OK for SDTV and great for DVDs & games. Wasn't impressed when using it as a PC monitor, though.

I owned the 32" 720p Westy (32w6 I think?) for a bit. It was OK for SDTV and great for DVDs & games. Wasn't impressed when using it as a PC monitor, though.

Not a big deal because I am looking at the LTV-32W3, and it is for my 8 year old son. He won't really care and when I saw it in person I was quite impressed by it.

has anyone had issues with their 37w3 not shutting off all the time when hooked up to their PC. Mine will only dim but the back light will stay on and other times it will turn off the back light. Never had this issue when I have it switched to VGA with my 360.

Not a big deal because I am looking at the LTV-32W3, and it is for my 8 year old son. He won't really care and when I saw it in person I was quite impressed by it.

has anyone had issues with their 37w3 not shutting off all the time when hooked up to their PC. Mine will only dim but the back light will stay on and other times it will turn off the back light. Never had this issue when I have it switched to VGA with my 360.

It should turn off according to your power saving monitor options in your OS. Mine turns the backlight off after 30 minutes total idle time.

It should turn off according to your power saving monitor options in your OS. Mine turns the backlight off after 30 minutes total idle time.

I have my west set to turn off after 5 minutes (DMPS) and I have windows to turn off after 5 minutes of maybe 4. Should I spread it out more, also I have problems putting my pc into hibernation, sometimes it does and others it just starts back up. Some problem with xp pro and having more than a GB of ram.

I have my west set to turn off after 5 minutes (DMPS) and I have windows to turn off after 5 minutes of maybe 4. Should I spread it out more, also I have problems putting my pc into hibernation, sometimes it does and others it just starts back up. Some problem with xp pro and having more than a GB of ram.

Try disabling hibernation and just use sleep. Hibernation tries to write all your ram to HD for extended periods of downtime, it's better to either use sleep or power down. As far as screen/computer power down cycles set the screen to like 15 or 20 and the computer at least 5 minutes later it should behave better. I have no problem with either the 37w3 or the 42w2 powering down or waking under OS command.

Thanks to Claudione314, the FAQ is now up on the first page. Feel free to submit additions.

Try disabling hibernation and just use sleep. Hibernation tries to write all your ram to HD for extended periods of downtime, it's better to either use sleep or power down. As far as screen/computer power down cycles set the screen to like 15 or 20 and the computer at least 5 minutes later it should behave better. I have no problem with either the 37w3 or the 42w2 powering down or waking under OS command.

Thanks a lot will set as soon as I get off of here. Will post on how it acts

Just finished setting my westy up, and DAMN it's looks awesome. I have only one dead pixel and it's on the far left edge of my screen, not even noticeable to even the pickiest of people.

I will like to add that the 37W3 is not available in Canada, and Best Buy Canada has no intention of carrying it at all (whereas the 37W1 is a regularly stocked item at BBYC) - to get one you must get it through the US and have it shipped to Point Roberts/Blaine/Buffalo or any other border town.

Now that I've tested this some questions. First off, is it normal to see alot of blurring in games? Especially FPS' like HL2, and also in WoW as well. Second, this is supposed to have built in speakers, but I can't seem to get them to work at all. After using DPB I noticed that I actually have 3, but thankfully all 3 are so miniscule you can't see them even if you look for them on anything other than a black background. I'm loving this, now I just need some HD content.

Before buying this screen I was torn between this one or the Sharp GP1U. After reading the Dynamic Contrast problem (not being able to turn it off), I'm so happy I went with the Westy.

I'm to picky to have the contrast changing on me all the time.

Before buying this screen I was torn between this one or the Sharp GP1U. After reading the Dynamic Contrast problem (not being able to turn it off), I'm so happy I went with the Westy.

I'm to picky to have the contrast changing on me all the time.

LOL...these issues tend to be exaggerated. I don't know that it's even confirmed that you can't turn it off.

I guess I'm too picky to deal with the inferior black levels and ghosting of the Westy...c'mon...every panel has its quirks. Every single one of them.

I so badly want to do a direct comparison of the Westy vs the Sharp...the question is, do I open the Westy and risk eating additional fees if I decide to return one of them?

I will like to add that the 37W3 is not available in Canada, and Best Buy Canada has no intention of carrying it at all (whereas the 37W1 is a regularly stocked item at BBYC) - to get one you must get it through the US and have it shipped to Point Roberts/Blaine/Buffalo or any other border town.
Excellent point. That has definitely been discussed a lot. Will add that to version 1.1 :)

LOL...these issues tend to be exaggerated. I don't know that it's even confirmed that you can't turn it off.

I guess I'm too picky to deal with the inferior black levels and ghosting of the Westy...c'mon...every panel has its quirks. Every single one of them.

I so badly want to do a direct comparison of the Westy vs the Sharp...the question is, do I open the Westy and risk eating additional fees if I decide to return one of them?

Of course every panel has its quirks, I never said the Westy was perfect. But the blacks on the Westy are fine for me and I have yet to notice any ghosting. On the other hand I couldn't stand the changing contrast. Even if people tend to exaggerate it, I saw the pics.

It may not be confirmed that you can't turn it off, but so far no one has been able too.

Plus, having the monitor in my living room, I'm glad I have the extra 5 inches. :D

I doubt it's exaggerated with the people in the thread complaining about it. I get a feeling you're not too happy with the Sharp either, that's why you keep going around on various forums trying to justify your purchase. I think deep inside you're thinking, "damn I should've opened the box with the Westy instead". ;) :D

Of course every panel has its quirks, I never said the Westy was perfect. But the blacks on the Westy are fine for me and I have yet to notice any ghosting. On the other hand I couldn't stand the changing contrast. Even if people tend to exaggerate it, I saw the pics.

It may not be confirmed that you can't turn it off, but so far no one has been able too.

Plus, having the monitor in my living room, I'm glad I have the extra 5 inches. :D

Oh, it's in your living room? Well then yeah...by all means go with the larger display. Everyone knows these panels look better and better as you increase your distance from them, as any flaws are much less noticeable. I have a feeling that if people weren't sitting so close to the Sharp, they wouldn't be able to notice the small contrast shift that occurs when light/dark content is displayed.

Glad you're happy with your setup! :)

I doubt it's exaggerated with the people in the thread complaining about it. I get a feeling you're not too happy with the Sharp either, that's why you keep going around on various forums trying to justify your purchase. I think deep inside you're thinking, "damn I should've opened the box with the Westy instead". ;) :D

Keep in mind that not everyone is complaining. It's natural for us to strive for perfection -- we don't want any flaws with our $1200 purchases, that's why when we do notice small quirks we tend to blow them out of proportion. Look how many posts in this thread are over handshaking issues and firmware revisions...people are so anal about getting this firmware or that! But I bet if the average person went out and bought this panel, they'd be perfectly happy with it if they didn't read this thread and worry about the small issues that plauge the Westy. See what I'm saying?

As for the Sharp, I'm very happy with it at the moment. I'm not "going around on various forums" trying to justify my purchase... :rolleyes: I have posted in the Sharp thread here and I made a thread on AnandTech where I praised the panel. So what? I'm not a "fan-boy" by any means...I have said on both forums that either panel looks like a great purchase, and would make most people extremely happy. And I can still open the box as it's about 3 feet away from me as I type this. ;)

I just hate to see people with one panel judge the other one merely by what they've read. When I see comments like "Got my Westy, screw the Sharp, I'm so glad I didn't get it, Westy for LIFE!!!" it irks me because they probably would have been just as happy going with the other one. And the same goes for the Sharp nuts who bash the Westy without seeing one in person.

Like I said, every panel has it's faults and they tend to be over-exaggerated on the forums. One thing that comes to mind is the pixel pitch discussions on the Westy 37" and Dell 2707 for example. Everybody was sooo concerned that due to these panels being larger yet running the same resolution as smaller displays, text would just HAVE to be grainy and/or blocky because of the larger pixel size. Yet in reality, people that have used the panels and seen them in person do not complain about blocky text. To them, the text is sharp...but because of seeing pictures of text from 2 cm away and people trying to justify their smaller monitor purchases, they were led to believe before buying that they shouldn't expect crisp text when that isn't the case at all.

I'm just saying don't sweat the petty. (And don't pet the sweaty!) :D

I love my Westy 37" for games and movies but I need more workspace! (I came from dual 2407fpws)

I am considering getting a HP LP3065 or Dell 3007HC and selling or moving my Westy into the living room =T

I love my Westy 37" for games and movies but I need more workspace! (I came from dual 2407fpws)

I am considering getting a HP LP3065 or Dell 3007HC and selling or moving my Westy into the living room =T

OFG man that is some serious work space hope you got the video cards to push dual 2500 x 1600 monitors. Gaming for you may be out of the question for a while until video cards get even more powerful. Dude that sounds so sweet though having your desktop be 5000 x 1600, if you do decide to do it please post pics. As a suggestion how about you keep your westy and then add two 24" monitors on the side of it. could give you 5760 x 1080/1200. :D

Keep in mind that not everyone is complaining. It's natural for us to strive for perfection -- we don't want any flaws with our $1200 purchases, that's why when we do notice small quirks we tend to blow them out of proportion. Look how many posts in this thread are over handshaking issues and firmware revisions...people are so anal about getting this firmware or that! But I bet if the average person went out and bought this panel, they'd be perfectly happy with it if they didn't read this thread and worry about the small issues that plauge the Westy. See what I'm saying?

As for the Sharp, I'm very happy with it at the moment. I'm not "going around on various forums" trying to justify my purchase... :rolleyes: I have posted in the Sharp thread here and I made a thread on AnandTech where I praised the panel. So what? I'm not a "fan-boy" by any means...I have said on both forums that either panel looks like a great purchase, and would make most people extremely happy. And I can still open the box as it's about 3 feet away from me as I type this. ;)

I just hate to see people with one panel judge the other one merely by what they've read. When I see comments like "Got my Westy, screw the Sharp, I'm so glad I didn't get it, Westy for LIFE!!!" it irks me because they probably would have been just as happy going with the other one. And the same goes for the Sharp nuts who bash the Westy without seeing one in person.

Like I said, every panel has it's faults and they tend to be over-exaggerated on the forums. One thing that comes to mind is the pixel pitch discussions on the Westy 37" and Dell 2707 for example. Everybody was sooo concerned that due to these panels being larger yet running the same resolution as smaller displays, text would just HAVE to be grainy and/or blocky because of the larger pixel size. Yet in reality, people that have used the panels and seen them in person do not complain about blocky text. To them, the text is sharp...but because of seeing pictures of text from 2 cm away and people trying to justify their smaller monitor purchases, they were led to believe before buying that they shouldn't expect crisp text when that isn't the case at all.

I'm just saying don't sweat the petty. (And don't pet the sweaty!) :D

Nicely put man, i have had my westy since mid feb and love it. I was thinking about the benq, dell, and gateway 24" and they all had something i didn't like about them. But for me when I saw the gateway in person i was totally disappointed and went with the westy due to it's size and inputs. I don't have a clue what the sharp looks like and wouldn't bash any monitor but for me the west is perfection. And to keep it perfect I refuse to look at any other panel. LOL :D The black levels could be better but it also could be $500 less. For what i paid I am very happy all i need now is another 21" for dedicated photo editing, but the westy is holding it's own.

Well, I did it. Posting from the Westy right now... :eek:

:p :cool:

LoL, you just couldn't resist, couldn't you?

Looking forward for a comparison, although I'm pretty sure that with the exception of the dynamic contrast, price and size (in my case I prefer 37"over 32") the Sharp GP1U is better.

Looking forward for a comparison, although I'm pretty sure that with the exception of the dynamic contrast, price and size (in my case I prefer 37"over 32") the Sharp GP1U is better.

No don't say that, now I have to unmount my west and send it back for a trade with the sharp. NOT love mine to much, glade to hear you finally opened it up. Glade to hear you have to kick ass screens! :D

No don't say that, now I have to unmount my west and send it back for a trade with the sharp. NOT love mine to much, glade to hear you finally opened it up. Glade to hear you have to kick ass screens! :D

Haha, then don't. I wouldn't. The Westy is still a great monitor. If I had to do it all over again I would still choose the Westy just for the 3 exceptions I mentioned: Size, Price and the Dynamic Contrast issue. ;)

Of course, that's just me. I'm using it as a TV, not as a PC monitor.

Haha, then don't. I wouldn't. The Westy is still a great monitor. If I had to do it all over again I would still choose the Westy just for the 3 exceptions I mentioned: Size, Price and the Dynamic Contrast issue. ;)

Of course, that's just me. I'm using it as a TV, not as a PC monitor.

Please don't take me serious, just having fun. My wife is so happy cause I am in love with this thing. Not one ounce of buyers remorse and that is very rare in todays electronic market. I feel the combination of size, features, rez, and price were optimal. I use this thing every day and just can't tell you home much better my back feels from being able to sit ergonomically correct! Can't for see any monitor making me want to replace it. I just need a photo editing monitor that gives me better blacks but that is way down the line cause this one is acceptable. Games look amazing and the rez lets me have to documents full screen side by side. I have no want to get an extreme 2500 x 1600 monitor.

One happy westy owner! :D

So, I'm an idiot. I went into my nvidia control panel and changed the display from 1080i to 1080p. This thing is PERFECT now. The blurring is gone now, and everything looks really good.

I'm thinking of starting a separate thread just for the comparison for those who might be interested in the two panels. I can provide some impressions and maybe try to answer any questions that people might have.

As far as the Sharp being better...I really don't know about that now that I've seen them back to back. Yeah it's nice but the Westy is REALLY fitting the bill for me. I didn't open it because I was sure it'd be too large (and it IS large) but man I'm really impressed. After reading about the superb image quality of the AQUOS displays I really didn't expect the Westy to compare, but in many ways (at least on my rig) it's better. Not just bigger!

Back