Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I paid for the 37 what you're saying the 42 is, mainly because I bought warranty, and tons of other things to go along with it from best buy... I've seen both the 42 and 37 in action... So far I've liked the 37 most, but a 42 is very nice, and would look perfect for straight up video in my living room, but since I never spend time in there, I'll just stick with this 37, and move it whenever I need to or want to, or never... :) It's well worth it, and besides, you don't want an over kill for a monitor... 37, Im still trying to get used to... :)

kinson said:
I however, wish, that EA, would stop being so damn lame and allow something higher then 1280x968 or whatever it is... Maybe with the new patch... :)
I already gave you the fix for it.. on your program shortcut for 2142 or any EA battlefield game, just add this.
+szx 1920 +szy 1080

akapaulk said:
cuz...

the 37" > than the 42"

compare the two and see what the difference is :D
After comparing the two I am still wondering what makes the 37" better than the 42". The specs seem to be exact.

Want to give me the answer now?

Ecca said:
After comparing the two I am still wondering what makes the 37" better than the 42". The specs seem to be exact.

Want to give me the answer now?

pixel pitch

w1retap said:
I already gave you the fix for it.. on your program shortcut for 2142 or any EA battlefield game, just add this.

My bad... Guess I didn't see it... But still EA is lame ;)

Kherozene said:
pixel pitch

Bingo, with them being the same resolution you end up with bigger sized pixels with the 42" display thus it doesn't look as nice when used close up as a PC display.

Hi guys,

How you all doing?

I was not going to camp out for frickin 3 days to get a PS3 even though I wanted one (mostly for the Blu-Ray player since they're still overpriced as stand alone's)...

Anyways, did any of you try a blu-ray player or PS3 on the HDMI port of the Westy 37" W3 ?

Unfornately I am hearing some reports that the Westy's are having issues with artifacting and flickering random pixels on the HDMI port when using a PS3 at 1080p and when using a Samsung Blu-Ray player. It only happens on the HDMI port and not DVI or component so I'm wondering what the issue might be and if the issue is the source device, a bad hdmi cable, or the westy...

Thanks in advance for any info to those of you who have this 37" w3 Westy display.
I've now had it a few weeks and absolutely love it. Best purchase I've made in years!

-WaitAndSee

yea.. the PS3 HDMI problem is with the PS3, not the monitor. My buddy's PS3 did it both on his 1080p HDTV, and on my Westy. Otherwise, it should work fine and look great.

w1retap said:
yea.. the PS3 HDMI problem is with the PS3, not the monitor. My buddy's PS3 did it both on his 1080p HDTV, and on my Westy. Otherwise, it should work fine and look great.

are you talking to me???

ya my westy blinks off and on and the internal speakers make a click sound

it stops if i unplug/replug the HDMI cable or just turn off my Computer all together

IMG_6525Medium.jpg

IMG_6527Medium.jpg

IMG_6533Medium.jpg

So is the problem fixed for the PS3 where it isn't pumping out a 1080 signal? I hadn't heard any updates on this problem. From what I understand, what everyone is seeing on their super cool LCD's is standard definition. :)

Well I hope you're right W1retap. Thanks for the info. It does sound like a PS3 issue on the HDMI output only since the component output for 1080p is working fine supposedely. Also, I hear it could be an issue on that particular Samsung blu-ray player.

Most likely Sony and Samsung will fix the issues with firmware updates on their hardware...

I've actually heard of quite a few defective PS3's as well that either ran too hot and died or didn't flash properly during the update to the 1.10 firm...all kinds of crazy things :).

In a way, you have to admit "good things come to those who wait."

There's no rush for a PS3. I'm hoping by next year they'll be producing a newer revision of the PS3 that has most of the bugs worked out in addition to maybe a 65nm cell that runs cooler and at a lower voltage than the current 90nm...

Thanks for the pics of your PS3 there Political. Are those games running in 1080p or 720p? Looks good. Well hopefully a future firmware update will address the issues. Sounds like Sony released a buggy HDMI driver? Anyways, do you get any artifacts or sparklies at 1080p when viewing the included Blu-Ray movie Talladega?

-WaitAndSee

Not sure if someone asked this previously but if you don't like black bars surrounding your correctly mapped 1:1 games in lower resolutions than 1920x1080, then use the "FILL MODE" to stretch your game to the full width of the screen.

Have fun!

-WaitAndSee

Kherozene said:
1080p is only through a dual link dvi and hdmi right?
dvi and hdmi do 1080p and under
component does 720p/1080i and under
composite and svideo do 480i and under

That's it I have made my mind up, I am getting this monitor instead of the Dell 2407fpw :D, just need a job so I can buy one :D.

waitandsee said:
Thanks for the pics of your PS3 there Political. Are those games running in 1080p or 720p? Looks good. Well hopefully a future firmware update will address the issues. Sounds like Sony released a buggy HDMI driver? Anyways, do you get any artifacts or sparklies at 1080p when viewing the included Blu-Ray movie Talladega?

-WaitAndSee

i dont think its the PS3 itself, i actually think it is the moniter

nope no artifacts or sparklies

I've been looking for a new monitor for a few days now, to use for both my PC and Xbox360. After seeing this thread I've been seriously considering getting a Westinghouse.

Since my only option is to get one locally through Best Buy, and they only carry (LVM-37W1) for the 37" should I get the 42" instead (LVM-42W2)?

Is the (LVM-42W2) model good enough to be used as a PC monitor? it costs $1,699.99 CAD (~$1,483.76 USD). Is this a pretty good price for this LCD/Model?

Any thoughts and comments are welcome, I would like to make a purchase this weekend, and your opinions will be a big help.

Grimspoon said:
I've been looking for a new monitor for a few days now, to use for both my PC and Xbox360. After seeing this thread I've been seriously considering getting a Westinghouse.

Since my only option is to get one locally through Best Buy, and they only carry (LVM-37W1) for the 37" should I get the 42" instead (LVM-42W2)?

Is the (LVM-42W2) model good enough to be used as a PC monitor? it costs $1,699.99 CAD (~$1,483.76 USD). Is this a pretty good price for this LCD/Model?

Any thoughts and comments are welcome, I would like to make a purchase this weekend, and your opinions will be a big help.

I just bought a LVM-42w2 for myself and I have to say it's working out very well for 360 and as my main pc monitor. That looks like a good price, I got mine a little cheaper but not a huge difference.

Thanks for the quick response. I think I just might have to pick one up this weekend. Maybe after that, i'll actually be inspired to update my severely outdated PC.

I just hope Best Buy doesn't bamboozle me and offer it even cheaper on Boxing Day. :eek:

this might have been answered already but i didn't see it when i scanned most of the pages, what if any cables does this monitor come with?

w1retap said:
dvi and hdmi do 1080p and under
component does 720p/1080i and under
composite and svideo do 480i and under

Component does 1080p, but rarely do TV's support it because of copyright protection or some crap

My new 42" westinghouse... I was skeptical about the resolution of these monitors till I plugged one in and then all concerns were gone :)

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

2405fpw vs westing house 42"
IMG_4552.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

illgiveumorality said:
Component does 1080p, but rarely do TV's support it because of copyright protection or some crap
1080i is all the AACS allows over component cabling. (although 1080p is 'capable' of being delivered)

if the westinghouse 37" monitor doesn't come with any cables, what's better dvi to hdmi or dvi to dvi on it?

and can you get good quality tv reception through tv tuner cards? or even HD quality?

Hey W1retap and Political,

Thanks for clearing things up. Good info. So Component only goes as high as 1080i due to the lack of HDCP support over component? Well good to know.

Okay so if it's the monitor that's the problem guys, is it because the Westy is using HDMI v1.2 and the PS3 is HDMI v1.3 and even though Sony says that the spec is backwards compatible, there is obviously some type of technical incompatability with the actual chip Westinghouse is using in the set?

CHECK OUT THIS YOUTUBE Video of this guy with a panasonic tv and he's also having issues with the PS3 HDMI out port to his TV. Handshaking issue? I guess it's a major problem here affecting many tv's not just the westy but this guy is only outputting 720p and having issues ? How odd...

PS3 HDMI issues Video

Hmmm...

42" Westy HDMI Sparkle Vid YouTube

Ooh this next one is UGLY...
Maxent 42" HDMI noise

Well first guy found a fix supposedely:
P.S. A fix???

courtesy of blitz6speed from AVSforums

"Ive learned that there is a auto HDMI setup built into the PS3. They say to do the following:

Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used
Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI
Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds. It should automagically configure your PS3 to the TV's native res for all settings. "

And as for 2nd and 3rd guys, they might be using cheaply made or too long HDMI cables that are experiencing some type of RF interference or something? Or some type of user error with device settings? Would be very hard to believe that Sony and other companies didn't test their devices with 1080p displays to ensure compatability...

Although W1retap you're saying you get NO sparklies or noise with Talladega outputting 1080p over HDMI to the Westy 37"?? What brand and length of HDMI cable are you using? I know HDMI cables can only be so long and if you're buying a cheaply made cable you should buy the shortest length you can because at longer lengths, you are much more susceptible to having interference or signal loss/degradation...

I have noticed they have an RS-232 service port for factory firmware upgrades on the Westinghouse, however do you think HDMI 1.3 requires new hardware or possibly down the road, we can simply use a cable hookup to do a firmware update to the Westy for 1.3??

I realize 1.3 is mostly an audio update since color depth would hardly matter on an LCD limited to 16.7 million colors anyways but if it fixes the apparent glitches then it would be worth upgrading to.

Nothing is perfect. What can you do? Soon as you buy something, it's already outdated these days because technology moves so fast (which is good and bad). Can't wait forever for every dam update but geez, lets have some compatability here. Still an OUTSTANDING COMPUTER MONITOR + 1080P TV. I think unfornately everyone will be in the same boat with the HDMI issues since there are hardly ANY 1080p tv's you can buy right now that support HDMI 1.3 and they won't be out until middle of next year I hear so companies will have to fix the glitches somehow and figure something out for those of us stuck with HDMI v1.2 or below and trying to use v1.3 source devices and having possible backward compatability glitches...

-WaitAndSee

FUCKING PS3

STILL BLANKING out on ME

mine problem isnt like his though

im just goes from black screen/ps3 screen/black screen/ps3 screen/black screen/ps3 screen

i have to switch around like from VGA DVI HDMI to make it stop

sometimes i even have to pull the HDMI cable out to get it to stop

its getting to me

waitandsee said:
Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used
Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI
Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds. It should automagically configure your PS3 to the TV's native res for all settings. "[/B]

this doesnt work for me

I'm assuming you're speaking of the monitor... I got the 4 year warranty or whatever it is through best buy... I like to protect my investments and hope they last me a good damn long time :)

sideout said:
if the westinghouse 37" monitor doesn't come with any cables, what's better dvi to hdmi or dvi to dvi on it?

and can you get good quality tv reception through tv tuner cards? or even HD quality?

depends on what you're using it for... Dvi to HDMI I believe is a waste, as you're using up a HDMI port that if you have a sat.tuner/cablebox that supports HDtv, and has an HDMI out, you should use it for the cable/sat receiver.... As with HDMI you get both great video quality, and sound.... One cable for both, its really wonderful...

If you're talking about for a computer experience, I have tried DVI to HDMI and I was not pleased, but I was also doing some things very wrong at the time... I have not tested it again since I have matured in my ways and learned from my errors, but DVI to DVI will give you the same video quality without wasting a HDMI input on your monitor, as you only have one HDMI and two DVI's...n Just make sure you get the right pin DVI cables if you choose to do that. I had much trouble finding a 24+1 pin DVI to DVI cable. Check best buy, and look for Acoustic Research cables, little less then Monster, ARE NOT MONSTER CABLE quality, but do come with a lifetime warranty, and so far have kept me satisfied without spending around 200 in Monster Cables...

Oh, I don't have the PS3, my friend had just brought it over to try on my westy in 1080p because it wouldn't work on his Mitsubishi DLP 1080p TV either. It had the artifacting and blinking on and off issues. He had a Monster HDMI cable, and I just had some generic cable I got from target a while back which I sold to him for $10 because I don't need it. (they were both just about 6ft cables)

Since we couldn't get it to work and the update didn't do anything for it, we called Sony and they said it was a known problem with the HDMI output on the PS3. It has nothing to do with the TV, they said something about the PS3 not outputting the proper signal for reverse compatibility with HDMI 1.2. Now he sent back the PS3 and its going to be a few weeks before he gets another.

Thanks W1retap!

That's exactly what I wanted to know!

So you have confirmed it! The 1.3 backward compatability is the issue after all! That's what I was thinking since I've been reading threads about certain things about 1.3 that might cause the issues if used with 1.2 or 1.1 hardware. Definite glitch here. Seems like Sony was going to miss their deadline if they addressed the issue and they already were late so they released the console with the stipulation that they would update the FIRMWARE to fix the issues later (which I'm sure they will do eventually). No biggie except for those of you who have PS3's right now and want to use the HDMI out. You might as well not use the HDMI input on your Westy then (until a later bios update fixes it) in case you could actually cause damage to your monitor if the signals are not being sent correctly.

Well hopefully Sony will address the issue because obviously almost anyone right now (no matter what brand monitor they are using) only has HDMI v1.2 or less since there are very few to none v1.3 sets out there.

I guess the spec isn't 100% backwards compatible after all? :) Kinda like a coin flip if your PS3 will play PS2 and PS1 titles correctly as well.

Anyways, good to know. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to you guys by the way.

-WaitAndSee

Back