Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

WOW!

thanks for posting the crutchfield deal, I ordered it the minute I saw the news, expect to see plenty of pics of the setup in the upcoming week. :)

Add me to the list. Bought it yesterday form crutchfield. 999 shipped also got a 5 year extended warranty for 129.00.

hey codename47, What kind of tv-tuner do you have MC or XP ? The quality of the Image is fantastic!!

Wasn't this TV on sale for $779 on black friday? Seems foolish to pay more than about $800, since the price should only keep falling.

Eric1285 said:
Wasn't this TV on sale for $779 on black friday? Seems foolish to pay more than about $800, since the price should only keep falling.

yeah. it WAS onsale at Nebraska Furniture Mart, And Shopko. 2 stores that DONT do online sales, and are exclusive to the midwest (NFM) and some (Shopko) not a nationwide franchise.

999.00 is the sweetest deal around in a LONG time for this display at a reputable store. Plus some of us have (ok, at least me) been waiting around 1 1/2 years to decide on a display to get (24" or 37") and this was one hell of a deal to pass up.

Worse comes to worse and i DONT like this as a computer LCD, I can just go pick up a wall mount and throw this up on the wall in my bedroom and resume my search for a GOOD 24"er

thenixhex311 said:
yeah. it WAS onsale at Nebraska Furniture Mart, And Shopko. 2 stores that DONT do online sales, and are exclusive to the midwest (NFM) and some (Shopko) not a nationwide franchise.

999.00 is the sweetest deal around in a LONG time for this display at a reputable store. Plus some of us have (ok, at least me) been waiting around 1 1/2 years to decide on a display to get (24" or 37") and this was one hell of a deal to pass up.

Worse comes to worse and i DONT like this as a computer LCD, I can just go pick up a wall mount and throw this up on the wall in my bedroom and resume my search for a GOOD 24"er

Wasn't it also on sale at electronics expo? We have those in Jersey, and I'm pretty sure they do online sales.

Blasted fellow cheapskates... see what you made me do? I got one too from Crutchfield...

KENNYB said:
******** you people... see what you made me do? I got one too from Crutchfield...

LOL You won't regret it man. It is awesome. Just make sure you have a big enough desk for it.

Crutchfield is amazing. I ordered mine at like 12 est yesterday and I called today and added the coupon. It was amazing. I havent gotten the product and I can just say That was some of the best service I have ever had from an online retailer. Will def. buy from again.

For people using this monitor for their computer with DVI, what do you guys do when you need to see the screen in post, or adjust bios settings?

gepetto said:
can you add a tuner to it, how does hdtv look ?

You can get Comcast or DirecTV satelite box which come with built in tuners.

HDTV looks ok.

well finally joining the westy group. I got the 37" w3 set for $800 no tax thanks to black friday :) this thing is awesome. Gives new life to my 360 and now I may get hd-dvd addon. Here are some crappy pictures I took earlier. Better ones to comes. Still reorganizing my desk.

Considering that I want to use this with my PC, laptop, and PS3, does anyone think that it's worth waiting for a newer, HDMI 1.3 monitor or should I just grab this 1.2-based set?

This was intended as my spring purchase, but now with the 1.2/1.3 issue with the PS3 I'm reconsidering. By that time either a firmware fix will be released for the PS3 or it won't, but aside from that, is there really that much about 1.3 HDMI over 1.2 as far as future-proofing goes?

Absolute Noob Question: Can I watch TV on this and still have some of the benefits most TV sets have? I.e. Remote, Sleep timer etc.

Arkham said:
Considering that I want to use this with my PC, laptop, and PS3, does anyone think that it's worth waiting for a newer, HDMI 1.3 monitor or should I just grab this 1.2-based set?

This was intended as my spring purchase, but now with the 1.2/1.3 issue with the PS3 I'm reconsidering. By that time either a firmware fix will be released for the PS3 or it won't, but aside from that, is there really that much about 1.3 HDMI over 1.2 as far as future-proofing goes?
Grab the monitor. Don't let Sony hold you hostige because their shit has issues.

There's little point in waiting for HDMI 1.3 for this monitor.

Because the monitor can only handle 16.7 million colors, it can't take advantage of the higher color depth + bandwidth offered with 1.3 and as for the audio update, that's only important for 7.1 users I believe...and most people still have 5.1 systems...and the internal speakers aren't going to sound any different if you're using them via HDMI.

Sony HAS to fix the HDMI back compatability issues with the PS3, otherwise, they'll have a MAJOR headache because there are tons of people who own 1.2 sets and it's only going to increase in the short term. They would alienate a lot of consumers if they didn't fix the problems. Same goes for Samsung and other blu-ray player manufacturers...

Remember, the PS3 is technically still in Beta. Yeah it's been released but seriously it wasn't ready to be released. Sony was trying to save face by releasing it early because they already were under fire for not releasing it earlier. There will be newer hardware revisions of the PS3 as well as numerous firmware updates as they continue to work on it. I'd say PS3 v1.0 will really be available in March of 2007 plus there will be a 65nm version of the Cell which will run faster and cooler than the current 90nm one so I'd rather wait for that...plus hopefully they'll add more system memory to it.

Supposedely 1.3 sets won't be available in quantity till Summer of 2007. By that time, Sony will have fixed the issues with their firmware anyways...and the extra features of 1.3 are not ultimately useful for this particular monitor. For a Plasma that can display billions of colors however, it would be a good idea to wait since the color depth would be much greater.

There is a "service port" on this monitor which I find interesting although I believe you cannot go to 1.3 on a firmware update alone even if it were possible to hook a cable up to your computer and somehow update the firmware in the monitor. I believe the actual hardware must be changed but I could be wrong....

-WaitAndSee

just a quick picture...

PB251308.jpg

Has anyone tried using this monitor as a TV? I want to buy one for that purpose. (And console gaming too of course) but has anyone tried cable (basic, digital etc) or any of the PIP or sleep timer functions? thanks for your time

Lt.Fubar said:
Has anyone tried using this monitor as a TV? I want to buy one for that purpose. (And console gaming too of course) but has anyone tried cable (basic, digital etc) or any of the PIP or sleep timer functions? thanks for your time

i've used it for all of that, i use it as a tv actually and not a monitor, the SDTV stations look worse than a regular tv, but then thats with every lcd bigger than a 32", if you have a cable box and use component cables they look better tho, the digital movie channels look good though, whatever you have in the smaller PIP screen will look better and clearer of course because it is a lot smaller, i use the sleep timer almost every night...nothin too much to say about it, its a sleep timer, it works...... it has 30, 60, and 120 mins

overall im lovin the tv absolutely lovin it, only thing im hating it for at the moment is its conflictions with the ps3, when going from a game to main menu or main menu to game, or to movie and back the screen will blink for like 30 seconds or until you turn off the tv and turn it back on, hopefully the next update will fix that, other than that its a 100% Grade A, A1 television...

Grimspoon said:
For people using this monitor for their computer with DVI, what do you guys do when you need to see the screen in post, or adjust bios settings?

It shows all of those screens as well. It works just like a regular PC monitor.

Rhyno said:
It shows all of those screens as well. It works just like a regular PC monitor.

Not showing post must be a limitation of my video card, cause I get no signal until windows starts. :(

Geforce 4 Ti 4400

Grimspoon said:
Not showing post must be a limitation of my video card, cause I get no signal until windows starts. :(

Geforce 4 Ti 4400

hmm i have ti4400 and shows post just fine..

JR_Rider said:
i've used it for all of that, i use it as a tv actually and not a monitor, the SDTV stations look worse than a regular tv, but then thats with every lcd bigger than a 32", if you have a cable box and use component cables they look better tho, the digital movie channels look good though, whatever you have in the smaller PIP screen will look better and clearer of course because it is a lot smaller, i use the sleep timer almost every night...nothin too much to say about it, its a sleep timer, it works...... it has 30, 60, and 120 mins

overall im lovin the tv absolutely lovin it, only thing im hating it for at the moment is its conflictions with the ps3, when going from a game to main menu or main menu to game, or to movie and back the screen will blink for like 30 seconds or until you turn off the tv and turn it back on, hopefully the next update will fix that, other than that its a 100% Grade A, A1 television...

Ah, thanks alot for clearing that up for me!
And by SDTV do you mean regular TV? (Im a noob i know)
So if i wanted to watch local TV or the simpsons on this thing what would the quality be like?

I have basic cable, and I'm really itching to know what it would look like, as of right now i have this old TV from the 1980's (Mitsubishi unknown model) will it be a upgrade from that?

Also, how would i get this cable:

home2a.jpg

to work with this display?

CyC said:
DVI2 from ti4400 and VGA from my 360

Very strange. I just tried switching to DVI 2 and I still get no signal during post. Sometimes it says signal not detected, or signal out of range.

Think maybe it's the DVI cable I'm using? Maybe cause my LVM-42W2 is firmware version 1.0?

Grimspoon said:
Very strange. I just tried switching to DVI 2 and I still get no signal during post. Sometimes it says signal not detected, or signal out of range.

Think maybe it's the DVI cable I'm using? Maybe cause my LVM-42W2 is firmware version 1.0?

odd.. i would try diff DVI cable and is it DVI-D cable?

I just got my 37w3 on Saturday and hooked it up to my laptop through VGA but I can't get the color right. It seems like the whites are super bright and drowns out most of the other colors no matter how low i set the backlight or brightness. My screen came with firmware 1.0. Any advice guys? Cyc, do you mind listing your settings?

Lt.Fubar said:
Ah, thanks alot for clearing that up for me!
And by SDTV do you mean regular TV? (Im a noob i know)
So if i wanted to watch local TV or the simpsons on this thing what would the quality be like?

I have basic cable, and I'm really itching to know what it would look like, as of right now i have this old TV from the 1980's (Mitsubishi unknown model) will it be a upgrade from that?

Also, how would i get this cable:

home2a.jpg

to work with this display?

theres no TV tuner built in. Best way to do it is through good old VCR player.

Johnie said:
I just got my 37w3 on Saturday and hooked it up to my laptop through VGA but I can't get the color right. It seems like the whites are super bright and drowns out most of the other colors no matter how low i set the backlight or brightness. My screen came with firmware 1.0. Any advice guys? Cyc, do you mind listing your settings?

there are diff settings posted through this thread that ppl have used for with there computer and 360 setttings. Also wise to check out the long thread on AVS forum. I have found it too bright so I just turned down the brightness a little bit works for me. Still messing around with settings. For computer connections, some ppl have tuned it through there graphics card to fine tune it since the Westy lacks color controls. I would also recommend writing down your settings as I have heard it resets your settings if your power goes of.

is it the smart thing to do to hook up all audio output's from the devices i plan on using with this monitor (ps2/xbox360/HD DVR) directly to the monitor and then use the composite audio out and run it to my Audigy 2 eX platinum breakout box?

Will i still be able to get surround sound out of my logitech z5300e's (5.1) that are hooked up to my computer by outputting those various sources from the westy TO my computer over said Red/White connection?

thanks!

Back