Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

When I plugged mine in, it shows up as a westinghouse w3 hdtv.. you can adjust all the resolutions the monitor supports right from the control panel display settings tab.

I need help on what cables I need to buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to run the westinghouse with my COX digital cable box simultaneously with my PC via DVI. I have a BFG 6800oc with DVI input. So will I need TWO of these DVI cables, correct???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16812189047

Will I need any other cable to watch HDTV with, such as the red blue green, or does DVI take care of all that mess?

I also want to use my Logitech Z5500 (soundcard Azuentech XPlosion) with the PC and the Westinghouse. How would I go about configuring it?? Right now its in DTS Digital via fiber optic wire. How do I make it go through the TV and my PC simultaneously.

thanks for any help you can give me.
-Jacob

Yeah, you would need two of those DVI cables. DVI1 on the left side of monitor and DVI2 on the right side. What's cool is that because there is PIP, you should be able to see both sources at the same time and easily switch between them. Did I mention this display autosenses and autoswitches on input sources with signals on them (another cool feature -- not to menion the PIP works between all sources and not just specific ones). So, for example, if you turn on your PS3 on the HDMI input, the display autosenses the signal and automatically switches to that input and you don't have to fumble around with the remote or hit any buttons to switch inputs (very convenient).

If you already have a dolby digital receiver and speaker system, just use that to run all your audio through and don't even bother hooking it up to the monitor speakers. Obviously your own custom speaker setup is preferable. Use the same optical cable to your dolby digital/DTS receiver and any other hookups you have on your dolby digital/DTS receiver.

I currently don't use the monitor speakers because I have a 5.1 setup which has superior sound plus I can control all audio sources through a single remote. If you did want to use the monitor speakers however, there are corresponding audio inputs for all connections. Most are RCA Right and Left hookups except for the VGA input which has a 3.5" hookup and as you know HDMI carries audio on the same cable. Ideally, you should use the HDMI connector for your cable box if you have one on the back of it and that will automatically cover the audio for that input if you want to use the monitor's speakers for that input.

As for the computer driver for the monitor, there is no .INF file for this display that I know of. It should be recognized by your display adapter/microsoft drivers however and it will show you all the resolultions including 1920x1080x60hz which is the preferred/native setting.

-WaitAndSee

i havent seen any pictures in a while in this thread so i tought i'd post a few....their garbage pictures but you can almost see what the tv looks like...i'll try and get some better ones later...

PA271231.jpg

PA241233.jpg

PA241229.jpg

these pictures are really garbage, so dont fully judge based on these pictures, i'll try and get better ones

yes that is a dreamcast, and me and my brother DO beast on it every day.....we play atleast 3 games ATLEAST sometimes like 7 games a day of blitz....best football game ever...

anyways, so how will I need to hook up the TV to my logitech z5500 and my pc?? Theres no optical or digital coax on the TV. Basically, I want to get digital sound (dts) from the cablebox and my pc using these speakers. I got the xplosion SC as well.

1920x1080 needs a single link DVI cable however DUAL link is backwards compatible and will work with all single link devices. Anyways, any decent quality DVI cable will work.

As for your purple line on the left side. That is most likely due to your input source such as a bad HDTV signal. Some stations have crappy signals even though they broadcast in HD. Use the "FILL" mode to overscan enough to eliminate the line if necessary or just watch a different station that doesn't have the issue. I had this issue with one station also.

-WaitAndSee

jakescakes said:
anyways, so how will I need to hook up the TV to my logitech z5500 and my pc?? Theres no optical or digital coax on the TV. Basically, I want to get digital sound (dts) from the cablebox and my pc using these speakers. I got the xplosion SC as well.

can anyone help me. I just dont know what cables i need, or special adapters.

connect your cable box's spdif to your logitech. Use optical for tv and coax for pc or vice versa. If your cable box doesn't have spdif then you don't have dd/dts.

Well... I got my lvm in yesterday, hooked up HD cable, looks great... Now I'm goofing around with my pc, looks great also... My only problem is... Getting a game to fit the resolution... That is the only pain... I'd love to have all my games running at 1920x1080 :)... Would be so lovely...

I'll post some pics when I get my room set up and all my computers, and other things such as consoles and systems set up... MMM....

kinson said:
My only problem is... Getting a game to fit the resolution... That is the only pain... I'd love to have all my games running at 1920x1080 :)... Would be so lovely...
What games.. for most of them all you have to do is get the newest updates, edit the config file, or look for a 3rd party program that runs in the background to 'hack' the resolution size.

Hey W1retap, I've been playing bf2 fine at 1280x1024 with the widescreen shortcut hack...but I can't seem to get Soldier of Fortune II to run without the black borders on the sides? On my Dell 2405, which was 1920x1200, I ran it at 1600x1200 and it ran just fine (stretched to full screen), but I can't do it on my Westy? Any ideas?

In the config file for SOF2 just is a custom config fix. Its based off of the quake engine, so its very easy to do.

Go into your config and edit these values to look like this:]
r_customWidth 1920
r_customHeight 1080
r_customAspect 2
r_mode -1

you might also have to change the cg_fov to 100 or 110 or 120 depending on what you like.

Thanks for the help W1re, I've actually tried that, but it still defaults to 640x480, and every time I click back out of the game and look at the config file, the seta r_mode has changed back to 2 or 3, or whatever it was before instead of staying at -1. Any ideas? Thanks for your help by the way

Got my westy from techonweb about a week ago and I got to tell you the hi def is freakin amazing. It'll really spoil ya, that's for sure. The only problem I had was with the shipping in which the box that it came in was banged up a bit. That was a scare at first but everything seems to running perfectly. By the way if you need more heat in you room this monitor will do the trick. lol ;)

CocoBee said:
I was just wondering why the make the westinghouse models so cheap in price?

cause it's not a Sony? lol. j/k. but probably because it's not one of the mega brands (sony, panasonic, pioneer, etc) it may be in the future.. but now its still a budget brand in many peoples eyes. I remember Samsung was like this a while ago.. now they are a pretty big brand.

Veritas616 said:
Thanks for the help W1re, I've actually tried that, but it still defaults to 640x480, and every time I click back out of the game and look at the config file, the seta r_mode has changed back to 2 or 3, or whatever it was before instead of staying at -1. Any ideas? Thanks for your help by the way
go into the game then set the res to 'custom' if it has it.. then hit apply and exit back out. Go into the right config file, edit the config file with your updated r_mode and custom height/width settings and save it. Then just go right into the game and start playing. It will still say 640x480 if you go back into the graphics settings in game, but when the game loads, it should be at 1920x1080. Thats how mine works with all the ones based off of the quake engine.

well this is lame, I cant get my bf:2142 to run on this monitor, even at a lower resolution... I've tried all the supported, but none seem to want to work... Blah...

kinson said:
well this is lame, I cant get my bf:2142 to run on this monitor, even at a lower resolution... I've tried all the supported, but none seem to want to work... Blah...
use the shortcut command line hack. +szx 1920 +szy 1080 or something like that.. double check it.

kinson said:

what video card? what connection?

does the monitor just turn off or does 2142 just crash?

hrm, do u think i can run this thing off my laptop? its got a 256mb 7900 go gs.

waitandsee said:
Ran the 1080p test vids from Microsoft and my jaw dropped. 1080p is the future. Was about to buy the Benq 241W but I'm so glad I spent the extra $$ and bought this. This kicks the benq to the curb in my opinion! 1:1 Mapping is outstanding with the OPTION to have fill if you want it! REMOTE is very convenient to adjust backlight, fill modes, volume, and powering on/off!

Hi waitandsee (w8&c ;))

I have a question about this TV regarding the 1:1 mapping and such. If I hook up the VGA input to my PC and play an older game at 800x600, of the following options:
a.) 1:1 pixel-mapped and centered (with black bars all around)
b.) Scaled up to full-height 4:3 (1440x1080)
c.) Fully stretched and distorted to 16:9 (1920x1080)
which do this panel allow the user to select?

Thanks a lot!

Ladicius said:
why not just buy a 42" monitor? it has the panels in the way, eww :p

well... you can't get a 42 incher for $600; and furthermore those 42 inchers are 1,355 x 768 or the more expensive ones are 1,920 x 1,080 .... this rig is 3,150 x 1,680 and I use it more as a computer monitor than a TV, but you can watch it as a TV from across the room ... so I think the $600 was worth spending... :)

?????????????????????????
can someone tell me what video card i will need to game at medium to high settings at 1080p resolution?????

I have to build a new rig for this monitor now. I play CSS, HL2, FEAR, guild wars, etc
lemme know what you think. So far I have picked out
1x evga 7950gt KO
A64 4400x2 dual core

still need to pick an Asus Mobo, and i need help with ram suggestions. (want 2 gigs)

will I be able to game on it at that high of a resolution with decent fps?? 50+

or will I need SLI??????????

jakescakes said:
?????????????????????????
can someone tell me what video card i will need to game at medium to high settings at 1080p resolution?????

Im building a new rig for this monitor to game on. CSS, FEAR, guild wars, etc
so far i picked out
evga 7950gt KO
A64 4400x2 dual core.

will I be able to game on it at that high of a resolution with decent fps?? 50+

I'm going to be building a new rig too.. for best performance without going TOO crazy, I'll be getting:

Core 2 Duo E6600
Geforce 8800 GT(s/x)
2 gb ram (undecided)

those are probably the most important pieces in deciding the video performance on a display this large. It's going to be a good christmas.. or is this pc overkill? I never ran something that high (on a athlon xp 2600+ geforce 6800 from a few years ago at the moment)

by the way Bestbuy is still backoreded my westinghouse since 5 weeks ago,

where can I get a westy from?. newegg is sold out!!!!!!!!!

what do yo all know about the 3rdparty RMT51500 warranty. Will they come fix it for 1 pixel?

anyone having problems with their PS3 to HDMI?

my sometimes flickers to a black screen and makes a audio *bleep from the speakers

flickers like this off and on

Ecca said:
With the 37" at $1,100 and the 42" at $1,400 why not buy the 42" for the extra 300$? I am looking to buy one and I just want to know if there are problems with the 42 or why(if) the 37" is superior.[/I]

cuz...

the 37" > than the 42"

compare the two and see what the difference is :D

H-street said:
what video card? what connection?

does the monitor just turn off or does 2142 just crash?

Oh my bad I thought I had already replied to this... I fixed it, it was no biggy, I had to change a few things in the video files, the game was trying to run at 70hz and would not load... Just deleted the Resolution lines and it booted up just right... I however, wish, that EA, would stop being so damn lame and allow something higher then 1280x968 or whatever it is... Maybe with the new patch... :)

Back