Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Bought two of these badboy's 6 months ago from costco with there stellar 2yr warranty , one those was for my roommate. Still the best gaming/multimedia purchase I had made to date.

Love em, I recommend them to whoever has the opportunity.

+1 it has been a great purchase....

I ordered a refurb 37w3 from Onsale earlier in the month for $500 shipped to give you an idea on what the refurbs can be had for. They are out of stock now though and I do not think they lasted long at that price.
The packaging from Westinghouse was pretty poor and the monitor had a bent stand and a few scratches on it by the time it received it. Since it was a refurb, the scratches might have been there before being shipped but I'm sure the stand being shipped was do to the poor packaging. Just make sure you can return it with out any hassels if getting the refurb from westinghouse and you might want to look into a extended warranty. Onsale gave me a $75 credit for the damage so I ended up only paying about $425. I was able to bend the stand back and I do not care about the scratches since it will just be sitting in my office. If I had to pay $650, I would rather spend a little extra and get a new one though I think.

I made a post on AVS forums, Widescreen Gaming forum, and this forum regarding setting the black point in the graph tab of the nvidia driver that seems to be highly regarded. The gamma was off after this adjustment (and before it ;)), but I was more concerned with the black washout at the time. I have calibrated the gamma on my westy to fall in line with 2.2 with the black point adjustment... so anyone here that has utilized my settings can give this a try as well:

My original post regarding calibrating the westy was to help alleviate some of the black washout caused by 1.) the poor black levels of the westy and 2.) the fact it uses a VA panel which causes a dark shadow when viewed head on. The solution for this was to raise the black point (0.00 in the graph tab of the nvidia driver) to 0.10, remove the middle point, and then to calibrate the display with a grayscale pattern test. If you are running Vista and can't access the graph tab, you can move your brightness slider to 55%-60% and you should be in the same ballpark as the graph adjustment.
This link takes you to my original post on the subject

Now I've calibrated the gamma to the 2.2 standard, and I'll share my settings for that as well. Go back into the graph tab and reset it, because we are going to use the middle point this time around instead of discarding it entirely. Set your black point (0.00) to 0.10 then set your middle point (.50) to .59 and then calibrate with a grayscale pattern test. If you are running vista and cannot access the graph tab, then I'm sorry but you are out of luck :(
Westy_2-2_Gamma.png

hey guys

have been having the westy for quite some time now but i have a question on it:

now i bought a PS3 and also a HDMI cable.

but to have a full 5.1 surround sound i'm using my logitech Z680 set (same like Z5500 only previous model) for my computer sound.

How do i make fully use of the dolby on my PS3 with the surround logitech Z680 and my westinghouse ?

i don't have an optical cable, but i do have a coaxial one ! (which i use on my pc for dvd movies)

Do i have to buy an optical cable, or can I use the exit sound on one of my 'out'-s on my westy to connect that to my Z680 unit ?

what would be the easiest way ?

and if i have an optical cable, is it possible to combine optical for sound and HDMI for image ?

hey guys

have been having the westy for quite some time now but i have a question on it:

now i bought a PS3 and also a HDMI cable.

but to have a full 5.1 surround sound i'm using my logitech Z680 set (same like Z5500 only previous model) for my computer sound.

How do i make fully use of the dolby on my PS3 with the surround logitech Z680 and my westinghouse ?

i don't have an optical cable, but i do have a coaxial one ! (which i use on my pc for dvd movies)

Do i have to buy an optical cable, or can I use the exit sound on one of my 'out'-s on my westy to connect that to my Z680 unit ?

what would be the easiest way ?

and if i have an optical cable, is it possible to combine optical for sound and HDMI for image ?

To the bolded, that's what you should do, and yes it works fine. That's exactly what I do, use an optical cable for the audio.

to clarify, you need to just hook up your PS3 directly to your logitech speakers with optical audio cable. the westy's only audio outputs are stereo, and indeed most true HDTVs don't allow for anything more than stereo output even if they have optical or coaxial connectors.

Got mine for $750 shipped from Costco....great display with all the right inputs...
Could use another HDMI in, but oh well..

I switched to the 37w1 and it's 10x better at showing HDTV television (1920x576) looks awesome!! SO much more definition than the 37w3....NO ghosting. And the silver color and design is better. Only problem is blacks are a little bit worse and their is no HDMI. But 2 dvi's both with hdcp and 1080p capable.

Also the 37w1 doesn't burn your eyes like the 37w3 which is the main reason I sold the 37w3 in the first place!

37w1 ownz!! lol!!!

one more question.

One of my bluerays on my PS3 didn't work in HDMI. After i connected component (yellow red and white) and used that signal it worked, but the quality of image is so low ! Plus i had to stretch the image manually on my westy wide otherwise the signal was a 4:3 in stead of a 16:9.

The same problem when i play DVD's on my PS3 through HDMI , the ps3 stops giving a signal.

is this normal or what can I do about it ?

does ur PS3 have the latest firmware? it's probably because of HDCP implementations. this display is known to have issues w/PS3. make sure u get the latest PS3 firmware for a workaround.

i HAVE the latest PS3 firmware... !

could it be related to the old firmware version on my westy LVM-37W3 ? it is 1.00

i couldn't register it on the website and get the firmware update.

can anyone get it for me and put it online somewhere so i can update it ?

this might solve all the problems i'm having !

thank you

I did it !!!

it is like this, when you hold the I/O button for 5 seconds after starting it up, it resets the video detection.

at first, it gives you a 4:3 image.

then it asks you do you want to switch to HDMI, i said yes

then it asks you: do you want to scan for better resolutions ? I then said: no.

then you can manually select all the resolutions that your tv can support. There i selected all of them 720p 1080i and 1080p, just all of them that i could tag.

Then it scans all these possibilities when you put in a DVD or a blueray. The blueray that didn't work has only 1080i, not 1080p, thats why it didn't show the signal. Although the bluray box of the movie clearly states 1080p. (should i sue them?)

Same problem with the DVD it tried to show the DVD in 1080p. manually enabling the other possibilities opened up everything.

for dvd in upscaling: you must select full screen .

One more thing: to connect the sound i use an optical cable that i connect to my CONSOLE of my logitech Z680 (the old version of the now popular Z5500)

and then in sound options you must select bitstream, not lineair. Then you can see the 'digital' message when playing a DVD or a bluray.

i posted this so other people with the same problems can use this solution.
thank you for people who tried to help me here. It helped me to get on the right track!

Had to just post back in here, I have had my 37W3-SE for a couple months now, and LOVING it. Playing Call of Duty 4 online is phenomenal on the 37" at 1920x1080.....watching HDTV on it is also quite nice in my bedroom...being able to swap between my tv, xbox 360, main computer, a second computer, and an s-video vcr with the push of a button is great!!!

Internet usage is fantastic and gaming is perfect, no ghosting.

I am spoiled rotten. The ONLY thing I wish it had....was a glossy screen....no big deal, my room is easily darkened even in bright midday sun....

I have a question for you 37w3 users. I just got cable hooked up. (fios). The cable runs into the YPbPr2 Component jack. I would like the audio to run to my reciever, so that when im on music channels or something, if I want to jam I can. However, I don't want it to run through my reciever, so that the reciever HAS to be on in order to get audio/video. So I just ran rca cables from the "Audio" out to my reciever. However, it doesn't appear that the audio is transmitted to the reciever. (I get nothing by changing my reciever to whatever input device I assign the tv's audio out to). Can you not use Audio out when you input from a component jack?

os4, that's hdmi ONLY. component doesnt have any audio signals, the red green and blue carry those colors of the video signal only.

the component "pack" has 5 cables - the three component cables and two rca cables for audio. They all go "in" to the ypbpr2 input. I want the sound then to audio out from my tv and run to the reciever. There's a "Audio Out" on the other side of the jack panel, with just standard R/W RCAs that I'm running to my reciever, but it doesn't appear to transmit the audio that's coming in associated to the YPbPr2 jacks. Does that make better sense?

I can also run HDMI from the cable box to my TV, but then again, how to I out the audio from the TV to the reciever?

Hey ladies and gents. Been ages since Ive posted, think the last time was when I first got my Westy last year sometime. Anyway, aside from being one of the bunch who seems to have the smearing/ghosting issue (which I decided to live with) I love this display, that is until a week or so ago.

All of a sudden I noticed a dark smudgy line going from the top to the bottom of the screen on the far right side. Looks almost like someone sprayed clear aerosol of some sort on it. Tried a few things but its not going away. I think I might have seen similar defects on other LCD's in passing but I'm not sure exactly what it is. It's visible on every input, tried every cable possible, still there permanently. Was hoping someone might have an idea.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Apparently Westinghouse has extended the warranty for this unit due to the overwhelming amount of problems and will repair/replace it at no cost other than us shipping it to them, even after the 1yr is up.

Thanks for looking. =)

Thats freaking weird. I've never seen that before. Good that they are extending the warranty. Did they tell you how long they are extending it for? My W3 is still going strong 11 months later.<knock on wood>

the component "pack" has 5 cables - the three component cables and two rca cables for audio. They all go "in" to the ypbpr2 input. I want the sound then to audio out from my tv and run to the reciever. There's a "Audio Out" on the other side of the jack panel, with just standard R/W RCAs that I'm running to my reciever, but it doesn't appear to transmit the audio that's coming in associated to the YPbPr2 jacks. Does that make better sense?

I can also run HDMI from the cable box to my TV, but then again, how to I out the audio from the TV to the reciever?

very simple, go into the TV menu, scroll to the audio menu, and set Speaker from Internal to External. now the TV will output audio via the RCA audio output jacks on the right side. Works with both HDMI and RCA inputs.

However, have you checked your receiver and cable box to see if they have a matching digital connection type (either TOSLINK or coaxial). Either will provide much better quality sound and also Dolby Digital surround sound if you have a surround system setup and the broadcast has a Dolby Digital track.

I saw this monitor (LVM-37W3) for $684.70 shipped from eCOST.com.

Here is the link.

Any thoughts on this? Is a 2-year extended warranty good enough?

TIA

I've had a 37w3 for about 1.5yrs doing double duty as a pc monitor and a rec-room hdtv/hd video playback device. I loved the crisp text on my desktop apps., and HD material looked good.

Recently I decided to try a hannspree HF289H since it was on sale at bb, and I later had a 15% off coupon to sweeten the deal. I wasn't sure that the 28" (27.5") screen would be large enough coming from the westy, but it turned out to be better. I previously had to keep the westinghouse on its own mini desk set against my main desk so that it was 36" - 40" away for a more reasonable perspective vs its size. Really it should have been a full 4' away for gaming with HUD elements in my opinion. The hanns is still very large considering how close I can keep it. I have it about 30" away from me. So now I've decided that 24" to 30" monitors are perfect sized for a desk. I'm running two similar sized monitors side by side now, both at 1920x1200 resolution.

I moved the westinghouse out of my computer area and up to my living room for use at my htpc/pvr, and I tried my ps3 on it also. However I noticed that the lyrics on rock band are blurring. They are hard colored text with a neon glow (on a dark background) that scroll by pretty quickly from right to left on the screen. I tried setting the ps3 output to 1080p and tried forcing the output limit to 720p, but it always blurred. I tried connecting via hdmi to hdmi and hdmi to dvi. I think the 12ms response time may be the problem. I used to play WoW on the westy but the text remains static while the FOV moves, so there was FoV blurring during fast movement but the text never scrolled fast enough for it to be a problem. I didnt play much FPS's on the westy over the last 1.5 yrs, having only recently got back into FPS games. I play CoD4 now but my new monitor is 2ms so has no blur.

Overall I still think the westinghouse 37w3 is a good monitor and a decent hd playback device -I'm just much happier with the new hanns I have as a desk monitor.

Has anyone played rock band on their westinghouse? Please let me know if the text on the lyrics blurs on yours. Thanks.

elvn, I think you might be on to something.

Honestly, as much as I love LOVE LOVE my 37W3, it sometimes seems a bit too large given the distance that I sit at. If I sat a few feet away on a couch and used a wireless mouse and keyboard, it would be perfect. But at times I find my head slightly turning left and right to see the entire desktop. It's not a problem, but it's not something that happened when I was using the Sharp 32" AQUOS 1080p display. I kept the Westy since I found the image quality to be superior, but it's hard for me to imagine using the 42" and 46" Westy models that a lot of people bought. Those would be far too large for me at this distance.

So for a time I thought about going with either the Dell 2707WFP or the 3007WFP-HC, but the 27" Dell cost nearly as much as the 37w3 for a lot less real estate and the resolution of the 30" model is just too much for what I want (though that S-IPS panel is soo tasty!).

I recently looked at a 24" Samsung at Sam's Club and even though it was large, it seemed so small compared to my Westy and I am afraid that initially I'd be very disappointed with a 24" (but the prices are nice on them). I think 27-32" is just about perfect, but if I sold my Westy now I'd take such a huge loss it just wouldn't be worth it to switch. I'm happy though, I received a unit with even backlighting, no dead or stuck pixels, and I purchased the extended in home warranty so I'm covered for a total of 4 years. When that's up I guess I'll sell it for pennies on the dollar and maybe run dual 27s or something.

I saw this monitor (LVM-37W3) for $684.70 shipped from eCOST.com.

Here is the link.

Any thoughts on this? Is a 2-year extended warranty good enough?

TIA

Good luck finding it in stock. I went round and round with them for 4 months trying to get one. I'd double check the fine print on the warranty as well... MAke sure it's a 3rd party warranty and not an eCost one.

Honestly, I sit only 2-3 feet from my desk, the further range for gaming, and I have no qualms. I have a friend with a 28", and frankly, it STILL seems small....

No thanks to a smaller display, I LOVE my 37" :p

I actually own two of these westy's. I think one is more then enough, might just sell the other. How much would be the value of a 37 inch westy if its over a year old?

Do NOT buy from eCost. I bought a 37" westy from them. They shipped it to me and DHL left it at my door! Their shipping rules say to test the TV before DHL leaves and if it doesnt work, send it back. Well, since they left it at my door that wasn't going to happen. So I opened the box and plugged it in, set it up and low and behold... The screen was TOTALLY F'ed. All pixels that were supposed to be black were green and flickering like mad, it was throwing crazy horizontal lines everywhere and i thought my video card had just died AND I had just done acid, it was a trip. So I called eCost to try and return it. eCost said that I should call Westinghouse because its their warrenty. I called westinghouse and they said have eCost give me my money back because it was broken BAD. But, eCost said that there was nothing they could do and I would have to ship it to westinghouse. *sigh* So I called westinghouse again AND I have to pay 100 dollars shipping to send it to california... I wasn't going to do that. So I did probobly the stupidest thing in the world. I checked for a warrenty sticker... when there wasnt one, I opened up the back of the tv, unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and it works perfectly. Dunno what I did. But now its amazing and I haven't had a problem.... *yet*

if u read this thread, remember to pay for overnight shipping. ground shipping means u are most likely going to get a damaged good cause the shipping companies throw stuff around like krazy. of course it'll break! my 1st ecost westy was summer of '07 and it was fubar, but my 2nd westy from ecost, i paid overnight shipping and it was worth every penny. it's still working right now =D

I know someone that just sold their 37" westy for $500, which seems about right since you can get one for like $800+ new sometimes.

imyourzero 30" 2560x1600 is crap for games and hd video .. you have to do sli which I think is a ripoff forcing ppl to double up old tech instead of releasing more powerful cards sooner. Thats one of the reasons I bought the westy in the first place - its resolution did not require unnecessary upconverting of hd material , and it would run games at 1080p on powerful yet not ridiculous hardware. The other problem with ips as the main gaming monitor is the response time is poor so it blurs.

If I had unlimited resources I would probably have a 30" ips on each side of a 28" to 32" 1920x1200 or x1080 center monitor that had a super fast response time (2ms).

I am liking the westy in the living room. I have a portable laptop stand on wheels with a wireless keyboard and mouse on it that I can use with a chair or from the couch when I'm using it as a pc on my old computer. I was planning on selling it for $500 to cover the 28" hanns cost but now I'm having second thoughts.

I went from this:

westy-FullDesk-B_10-31-06.jpg

to this:

monitors_27.5in-LCD_24in-crt_walls-1.jpg

Believe me the 28" is still quite large being so close. None of the monitors in the pictures I just posted look anywhere near as large as they are in real life. Its also alot better paired with my FW900. The desktop is more unified and there is a lot of real-estate with two 1920x1200 resolutions in dual mode.

LOL, nice setup man. Can you shoot me a link to the background you're using on the Sony monitor in the 1st pic?

BTW, IPS panels may seem to have poor response time on paper, but supposedly due to differences in the panel tech, motion blur is reportedly very good. Before my Westy I was using a Dell 2001FP which had an IPS panel, and although it was a 16ms panel it performed very well. I hear the newer IPS panels are even better in this regard!

I've recently noticed what I can only describe as grey-ish blotches on my 37w3. They are faint, but noticeable under the right conditions. These blotches look like pressure was applied to these areas. Anyone else experiences these problems? My monitor is only 16 months old.

Back