Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

akapaulk said:
Oh sweet! How do you like your monitor?

I am really tempted. I would plan on using this as my main PC monitor and also hook up my Comcast DVR to it and finally enjoy HDTV.

I would also use it to watch DVDs from my computer optical drive and also watch the DVDs which are stored locally on my computer, not to mention photoshop, etc, etc, etc.

Should I pull the trigger? Would the price go down? Would Westi's sell out anytime soon?

Its suppose to be here monday! Its sitting at a UPS place right now about 20 miles away from me...but they wont let me get it because its "in transit" still...!!! SOB...

hey has anyone had any experience with dhl? im also very tempted to order this, but as i have to ship it overseas its quite risky (warranty, damage, etc) but they ship it with dhl worldwide express so do you guys know if they have a good name?

I've ordered a few computer components with DHL before and the box arrived in prestine condition without a scratch or bend on it. I don't know how they are for big stuff, but they claim themselves to go the extra mile in their commercials to protect your box.

w1retap said:
I've ordered a few computer components with DHL before and the box arrived in prestine condition without a scratch or bend on it. I don't know how they are for big stuff, but they claim themselves to go the extra mile in their commercials to protect your box.
hey w1retap there are no alternatives in australia do u think it should get this shipped over for 1700? (plus 200 duty and tax)

is there an inf file for this monitor? If it's on Westinghouse' site.. I must be blind or something... I can get to the correct resolution in xp (1920x1080) but in games it only goes up to 1280x1024. :confused:

hrm, how does sli work with this monitor? or is it even necessary? thanks. =)

geteg said:
hrm, how does sli work with this monitor? or is it even necessary? thanks. =)
You don't need SLI to run 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 (forgot). It matters what games you play. If you just play Guildwars and WOW, then you'll only need like a 7900 GT or 7600 GT. If your playing games like FEAR, Oblivion, ect. then i suggest a 7900 GTX, a 7950 GX2, or a X1950XTX. If your a framerate 'whore' or a graphics 'whore' then go with SLI or Crossfire or Quad-SLI.

magnetik said:
is there an inf file for this monitor? If it's on Westinghouse' site.. I must be blind or something... I can get to the correct resolution in xp (1920x1080) but in games it only goes up to 1280x1024. :confused:
For lots of games you have to edit the game's custom config files to get the 1920x1080 resolution. I had to do it for Doom3, Q3, NFS Most Wanted, GRAW, and a few others.

Kherozene said:
hey w1retap there are no alternatives in australia do u think it should get this shipped over for 1700? (plus 200 duty and tax)
If you think it is worth it. For me, it really wouldn't if that is in US Dollar costs. The panel is good, but its not "that good". Really at the very most, I'd pay $1500 USD if I was desperate.

What would the best bang for your buck video card be if all you want to do is use this monitor for:

1) photoshop
2) browsing
3) counter strikej
4) watching dvds off the computer
5) comcast cable

I wouldn't recommend buying an expensive top-end 3d card this late in the game. Windows Vista and directX10 are just around the corner. I know people have been saying that for a long time but its actually true now. :p

No cards out right now support DX10. The $140 7600GT (passive cooled) runs anything I throw at it with my sataII harddrives and 2 gig of DDR800 memory for now anyway. Save your cash for a DX10 card then buy a $350 - $500 monster card that supports DX10 when they come out if you want. Just some friendly advice.

boomheadshot45 said:
You don't need SLI to run 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 (forgot). It matters what games you play. If you just play Guildwars and WOW, then you'll only need like a 7900 GT or 7600 GT. If your playing games like FEAR, Oblivion, ect. then i suggest a 7900 GTX, a 7950 GX2, or a X1950XTX. If your a framerate 'whore' or a graphics 'whore' then go with SLI or Crossfire or Quad-SLI.

ya, i just play WOW, guildwars, CS:S, and BF2 / 2142. as long as i can run em all at 1920x1080 on good settings ill be happy. so 1 7900gt should be able to take care of all that ya?

also, anybody know if these games support 1920x1080, or do i gotta do that config file edit thing to make em work?

thanks. =)

yea, I have a 7900gt (520/1500 clocked XFX). It carries all those games just fine max settings at 1920x1080. I can get away with 2x AA on almost all the games without getting bad frame rate drops. The older games I can crank up AA all the way though and its fine.

I'd like to post a pic or two of my Westy, but...I don't know how :D heheheh

Can anyone tell me how I do this?

BoredTiger said:
I'd like to post a pic or two of my Westy, but...I don't know how :D heheheh

Can anyone tell me how I do this?

upload it to imageshack.us or photobucket and take the url to the picture and put these on the outside

Ahhhh...heheh, ok.

Thanks JR :)

I need to go to a store to run an errand, but I'll post some pics when i get back! :) Cool!

Anyone know of places besides Page Computer that was offering that dead pixel return policy and at not shipping cost? I think I may have read crutchfield was also but I dont remember and was looking for other places that may have low cost for these also.
Thanks

Shoot!

Click here to clear promotion code.
Sorry, the promo code you've entered is invalid.

I was waiting on this.

They took off the 'weekend special' on it too.

:(

Doubtful... I got a 12 off up to 36inch for Bestbuy, and they're too lame to help me out a little bit...

Looks like you can get them at Page Computer for about 1275 with ground shipping. Their return policy is 30 days any issues and they pay shipping.
I think I'm going for it from them on this one.
At Techonweb and J&R I think you can save about 50$ off of that price, but I think the return policy is not for big items so you are stuck with dealing with the manufacture if you have pixel issues. Also at Crutchfield they cost more but I believe someone said they take returns for pixel issues.
Good luck

well bestbuy sells theirs for 1499, I called and told them about neweggs 1299, and they said they'd match their price, which is nice... I might just go ahead and do that because BB will take the tv back if it has any problems... That and they're just right down the street from me, and a hell of alot easier to work with then these others...

LOL, wow I agree if you can go pick it up for that price, maybe I should check mine as I just placed my order. Thanks for the info.

I showed best buy the newegg price and they said that they will not match it.
They said they can let it go for $1399 which is $100 off.

They told me 1349 lol... They keep changing it up on me... Kinda pissing me off...

Wow this thread sure has grown since I first started it. Good to see so many people taking a liking to this awesome display. It truly was/is one of the best kept secrets out there.

magnetec or whoever had a pretty good question, anyone able to help him ??

Most games you can edit the resolution in a file, but, if you're talking bout 2142, I can not get it to get a res over 1280x960 even when editing the files. From what I understand, its a problem that EA is working on...

Tweakguides has a way to set custom resolutions

something like szy +1280 sxy +1024 or something added to your shortcut.

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_7.html

For example, to set a custom resolution for BF2142, change your command line to look similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Note the addition of the +szx and +szy commands which respectively set the width and height of the custom resolution to be used. Substitute other values for other resolutions (e.g. +szx 1900 +szy 1200).

That worked for me on BF2, but with a slight difference...

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

Haven't tried 2142 yet, though. Waiting to install it on Weds when the Westy gets here. ;)

I'm going to get my 37, but I'm a little intimidated by it... I have a 32 I've played on, doesnt look GREAT, looks good, but I can play from like 10 feet back no problem... Going to be using this 37 though as my main monitor, tv, console gaming, everything I can...

This Monitor, should, help me clean up my room some ;)... I have a separate desk for my 2 pc's and their monitors, my ltv32 has its own desk which holds all my consoles and stuff, 2 dressers, and a huge bed... ;) maybe I'll be able to clean it up some ;)... Least I'm hoping lol...

oh, and thanks for the info on 2142, I'll try that on my 32 and see how it does...

works for 2142, but you get kicked or banned from some servers because it calls it a hack. haha.. so pathetic.

No problem guys, couldnt do it on my tiny 19 incher at the native res. Keep it up, I hope to acquire one of these TV's soon, and post my own pics!!! I need to sell a kidney or something.

w1retap said:
works for 2142, but you get kicked or banned from some servers because it calls it a hack. haha.. so pathetic.

Thats so sad... EA needs to get on the ball...

Back