Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

This thread looks pretty slow now. I just wanted to share my excitement about my new Westy. It took me a couple days and some forum support to get 1080p, but it was worth the wait. The only problem I'm having now is the "auto off" functionality doesn't seem to always work properly. I've got mine set to auto turn off if no signal is received for 1 minute. It does in fact go to sleep after 1 minute.....but, when I come back at a later time (often hours later), I notice that the screen is black, but the backlight is on. What I mean is that the monitor is ON, but it is displaying a black screen. I've verified that my PC is still asleep, so it's not like the PC gave a peep and woke the Westy up. Anyway, my fix has simply to turn it off, but that's not very convenient. Here's some pictures of my setup. Mounted to the wall next to my westy is a 15" LCD tv:

i'm running the tx-42 off a 8500gt w/ hdmi output and this monitor is perfect. i dont have a single complaint, not even a dead pixel.

I have one dead pixel on my new 37w3 SE, but I think I can live with it. It's right in the center of the screen, but I rarely ever notice it. It's more the idea of it that bothers me. If I could buy another on Costco I would, but it seems impossible to buy this anywhere anymore, so I think I'd rather just live with the one I got. I'm still very happy with it.

By the way, can everyone link some of the best places to get free 1920x1080 wallpaper?

Thanks!

Woah, with a name like that how did I never find it? What an incredibly awesome resource. They link you to thousands of awesome wallpapers. Those fractals are incredible!

Just to make it easier for everyone, here are all the links found on that site. Some of these are great!

http://exoteric.roach.org/bg/index.html
http://www.desktopmachine.com/
http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/
http://www.graffitiwallpaper.com/
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/
http://macdesktops.com/
http://mandolux.com/
http://www.natures-desktop.com/
http://smhill.net/desktops

I have one dead pixel on my new 37w3 SE, but I think I can live with it. It's right in the center of the screen, but I rarely ever notice it. It's more the idea of it that bothers me. If I could buy another on Costco I would, but it seems impossible to buy this anywhere anymore, so I think I'd rather just live with the one I got. I'm still very happy with it.

By the way, can everyone link some of the best places to get free 1920x1080 wallpaper?

Thanks!

In the past I have gotten rid of stuck pixels by applying constant pressure on it. (nvm if its dead)

Hello! I have a few questions, I hope no one minds, as I'm quite interested in this Display.

1) Is the 37W3 37", still living up to it's hype till this day, has nothing better come out to replace it as the winning 1080p monitor?

2) On amazon i found two for sale, one was New for $1300 and the other was Refurbished, going for a whopping $2300; What's justifying the extra grand? http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000EYZ994/ref=dp_olp_3/104-7107481-7133533

3) Should i buy one sometime in the 1-2 months or wait for something new?

To me, 1000+ is still quite a bit of money, I just don't want to waste it in a hurry. Thanks in advance guys. =]

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To me, 1000+ is still quite a bit of money, I just don't want to waste it in a hurry. Thanks in advance guys. =]

The brand new Westy 42" TX can be had from Best Buy for around $1100 (check hot deals) out the door and that nets you a tuner and, of course, a larger screen. I'm personally running the 42W2 and it is in no way "too large."

If i was to say that i could/would spend upto 2k, would you still recommend the 42" TX? From my previous post, what i should've said was, i want the best bang for my buck, even if it's alot of bucks.

If i was to say that i could/would spend upto 2k, would you still recommend the 42" TX? From my previous post, what i should've said was, i want the best bang for my buck, even if it's alot of bucks.

This may be the wrong thread for you as that is a very broad question. The 37W3SE @ $800 (unavailable) and 42 TX @ $1100 (available) are the best recent deals in large 1080P LCDs. I have no idea what is available beyond $1200, much less what is a good deal, because my personal budget when I was researching was $1200.

This may be the wrong thread for you as that is a very broad question. The 37W3SE @ $800 (unavailable) and 42 TX @ $1100 (available) are the best recent deals in large 1080P LCDs. I have no idea what is available beyond $1200, much less what is a good deal, because my personal budget when I was researching was $1200.
Nonetheless, your post was helpful! Thank you very much. =D

jamestime88, doesn't that westy already have a cable plug in it or it doesn't. That's y you have a tv-tuner? (if there isen't any cable plug why do they give u a remote control ?) And If it dosen't have a cable plug is there a westy 1080p that can do both tv/lcd and be just as good ? I heard the Sharp lcd can do it but I like Westinghouse..

I want to make sure I'm taking full advantage of my sweet Westy. Can you guys describe the various ways you use the Westy through your PC? Aside from gaming and viewing the forums & being able to see so many posts at a time, are there any cool 1080p content sources that you regularly view? I'm not really up on all the "ripping" and the various filetypes, divx, mpeg4, etc, I'm still trying to learn about all this. Any cool programs or sites I should know about to really max out my Westy experience??

Thanks!

In the past I have gotten rid of stuck pixels by applying constant pressure on it. (nvm if its dead)

It's not actually dead I don't think. It may be stuck or "lit". It's white, and it only shows up on a black background. It's very difficult to see, in fact, unless you really look. The blackground needs to be solid black for it to be noticeable. I'm pretty OCD so that's the only reason I was willing to tolerate it and keep the monitor. Oh that, and the fact that you can't buy it anywhere anymore! I definitely want to keep this baby!

I had the same question, and everything else I looked up came up short in some ways. I wanted to use this monitor as a jack of all trades. It seems that some of the others excel in some things, but if you want to also use it as a PC monitor, nothing has a reputation like the westy, and particularly the 37.

Hi , I just picked up the Westy 42" and i was wondering if the best way to hook it up to My 8800 GTS is HDMI to DVI ? they gave me a DVI to DVI and well it does not have a DVI on it lol so i have to take it back tomorrow and get the right connector. So any Info would be greatly needed for this.
I had to take my connector off my old LCD and use it for tonight to get it to work but I'm a FPS gamer and want the best pic I can get and don't know alot about this size monitor.

Thanks................:D

Is that what I need ? HMDI to DVI ? if so i will grab one, I'm just not sure whats going to make my games look better then they do now, Kind of grainy with VGA.........

my video card has an hdmi port on it. i dont think the video quality is supposed to be any better but it actually carries an audio signal too. this monitor is loaded with connections like 4 hdmi, 2 rgb high def, s-video, vga, component, coaxial, etc.

Anyone hearing rumors about a NEW 37" Westy?.
Surely, Westinghouse wontt drop the hottest-selling 37" on the market-----will they?
Any 37" rumors or links to rumors?
Congrats to u happy guys who got 42" and thanx for the pics-----but isn't your text kinda big n blocky.....'pixelated'?? (I dunno the answer, just wondering, worrying)..

Well I finally got BF 2 to Look GREAT but 2142 Gives me a No Input Signal and I can't close it down, i think I'm going to have to hook my old monitor back up to reset the size of the game. What i need is a DVI to VGA Cable and it will work ok.

Congrats to u happy guys who got 42" and thanx for the pics-----but isn't your text kinda big n blocky.....'pixelated'?? (I dunno the answer, just wondering, worrying)..

Big? Yes, and my poor eyesight is thanking me; eyestrain has dropped to nil since I started using this set. Blocky? Nope, even at 42", 1080P provides just over 50 pixels per inch.

text is actually neither big nor blocky..is it just me or does the 42" and 37" westy's look small in pictures, but huge in real life

I think all screens are hard to dimensionalize in pictures. Like even those $100,000 105" LCDs in tradeshows don't look that big until you have someone standing next to it. Guess it's just the way it is. But yeah a 37" monitor 3 feet away from you feels much much bigger than a 55" HDTV 8-10 feet away, at least that's my experience having both.

Finally got my refund for my 37" SE that I ordered on the 10th of June, that UPS somehow "lost." That sucked and now I can't actually get one! BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Got the 42" about 2 hours ago liking it so far, text is crisp and clear and games look great even on vga. Now to just get a wall mount so this thing is at a more comfortable level and its perfect!

my.php

those of you that own tx42, what's the footprint/dimension size of the stand that holds the HDTV up? i'm trying to fit this into a 4.5" wide window sill/opening. will it work?

when i owned a 37w3 briefly it was perfect.

This may have been asked/answered but this thread is too long to read it all. Does anyone know how to adjust the screensize for an ATI X800XT? I have the 7.7cat drivers, but can't seem to find that option. I know Nvidia has the overscan correction. It's not cutting off much, like like 1/6th of an inch on all sides. But I'd like it to be accurate.

Any ideas?

those of you that own tx42, what's the footprint/dimension size of the stand that holds the HDTV up? i'm trying to fit this into a 4.5" wide window sill/opening. will it work?

when i owned a 37w3 briefly it was perfect.

off the westinghouse website
42.2" x 29.0 " x 10.5 " (with Base)
68.1 lbs (with Base)
42.2" x 27.0 " x 5.5 " (w/o Base)

looks to be about 1inch too big even w/o the base

37.3” x 25.9” x 8.2” (with Base)
50 lbs (with Base)
37.3” x 23.8” x 4.7” (w/o Base)
43 lbs (w/o Base)

^westy 37". that's merely 2" difference. i'm going to go home and measure. it looks like it's merely 5, maybe it's more like 8", in that case i CAN buy the 2". here is some older pix:

Anyone hearing rumors about a NEW 37" Westy?.
Surely, Westinghouse wontt drop the hottest-selling 37" on the market-----will they?
Any 37" rumors or links to rumors?
Nope not at all. It isn't blocky on my 47" either. Just perfect.

37.3” x 25.9” x 8.2” (with Base)
50 lbs (with Base)
37.3” x 23.8” x 4.7” (w/o Base)
43 lbs (w/o Base)

^westy 37". that's merely 2" difference. i'm going to go home and measure. it looks like it's merely 5, maybe it's more like 8", in that case i CAN buy the 2". here is some older pix:

thats quite a nifty setup you got there..makes more sense now that I see it, since I originally pictured it literally sitting on a window sill;)

it IS sitting on a window sill. the window sill measures 8" deep! in the pic, where the w3 occupies is the window opening! =P. i'm in the basement, i don't want people looking in anyways and all i see out is the parking lot. who cares =P.

well, the 37w3 i got was broken. it would pixel shift really badly and have horizontal tearing, etc. i had to return it to ecost.com. still awaiting $ via RMA. if it all works out, i'll keep saving for the 42"er. i currently have the 2001fp and the 37 is a big upgrade. it's perfect for what i do, HTPC stuff. now i'm thinking 42", but it's close to 2x the $. i paid around $730 for the refurbed 37w3. the tx42 is around $1400.

i'll wait. besides i have a 100" front projector :D for movies+7.1.

Back