Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

I'm having issues playing some 720p content, as well as with other videos. I'm getting really bad horizontal tearing, is there any way to fix this?
With all content or just certain sources? VLC media player has known issues with tearing. Try MediaPlayerClassic/defilerpak/ffdshow.

I'm using Zoomplayer, but I've tried mpc as well, as for codecs I'm using cccp, which is primarily FFDshow.

Edit: This happens with pretty much any video that I play from my computer, I don't have a hd/bluray player though, so I don't know about that.

the non-se version has hdcp only on ONE of the 2 DVI's inputs? which one is it? the one on the right or left?

I'm using Zoomplayer, but I've tried mpc as well, as for codecs I'm using cccp, which is primarily FFDshow.

Edit: This happens with pretty much any video that I play from my computer, I don't have a hd/bluray player though, so I don't know about that.

I just installed this as well, but I'm not having those issues. Other than some old videos I had won't play now. I'm just using WMP though. It does not know it can open mvk files until you tell it to attempt it anyways.

Hmm I just got a 360 Elite and with HDMI it won't allow selection of 1080p on my SE... component allows it no problem.

Seems the problem with getting 1080p on the SE isn't just a PC/driver problem.

I'm not so sure about this... I still have a defective but functioning non-SE that is awaiting RMA, I will see if it allows 1080p over HDMI on the 360. If it does, I think I'm going to just go with a display with properly working electronics and firmware.

Argggh... i finally got my westy 37W3se and now i got that problem with nvidia detecting my display as the W2407. I read through the thread but the solutions didn't work. I remember there was a comprehensive solutions on how to fix this before the forum crashed and all those posts disappeared... does anyone remember how to fix it? I Have a 8800 GTS card btw... :(

is there a secret stash of these laying around somewhere, i totally missed the costco sale, and with them discontinued i cant find them new except on ebay. While i understand they phased it out because of the 42", 42" just seems to big for a monitor.

is there a secret stash of these laying around somewhere, i totally missed the costco sale, and with them discontinued i cant find them new except on ebay. While i understand they phased it out because of the 42", 42" just seems to big for a monitor.

I have a 42" and it certainly isn't too big. Image quality is excellent. Viewing distance is about 3 feet and I find it comfortable for long term use. There are pics a few pages back.

Hmm I just got a 360 Elite and with HDMI it won't allow selection of 1080p on my SE... component allows it no problem.

Seems the problem with getting 1080p on the SE isn't just a PC/driver problem.

I'm not so sure about this... I still have a defective but functioning non-SE that is awaiting RMA, I will see if it allows 1080p over HDMI on the 360. If it does, I think I'm going to just go with a display with properly working electronics and firmware.

I was hoping to utilize my hdmi on my SE so this has me concerned. Does the PS3 also have a issue with the hdmi on this set?

I was hoping to utilize my hdmi on my SE so this has me concerned. Does the PS3 also have a issue with the hdmi on this set?

Sony was supposed to have that fixed with their last update. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject.

Seems like a lot of these problems with devices are from the HDCP standards being as loose as a Thai hooker. Unless the people who license this crap get their heads out of their asses and set some strict standards, it's just going to be a pain in the ass with random devices not working on random models of TVs.

I think it's been confirmed about a dozen times in this thread, yes the PS3 works great with the SE over HDMI. Here's some pics from GTHD.

I heard hdcp only worked over DVI2 on the W3... I have not tested that tho... been running on DVI2 from day one.

edit:
the non-se version has hdcp only on ONE of the 2 DVI's inputs? which one is it? the one on the right or left?

as you face the front of the monitor, it's the one on the right.

Sale? :(

Hi guys, I got my SE about a week ago, and I'm really impressed with the picture. Boy I should have made this decision a long time ago and not worried about it.

However, I'm glad I chose the Costco route in case I need to return it, because I'm having some problems. I'm also nervous that I won't be able to get another if I do need to return it, because they don't seem to be available anywhere at all anymore! Especially not for the great Costco price.

These are my problems. And I've spent quite a bit of time scouring this thread, so please don't ask me to find the solutions in the thread.
:(

First of all, I too cannot get 1080p in Win XP. I have an evga 6600gt, and it should be sufficient for basic desktop use. I'm not worried about gaming just yet. I downloaded the latest forceware drivers off guru3d and installed them. In Control Panel/Display I set screen resolution to 1920x1080, and I also set it to 60 hertz. But the "i" button shows 1080i, and there's lots of ghosting. In Nvidia's Control Panel, I'm using version 1.4.13.07 and it seems a little different than that described and shown by some of the users here. I also verified it's set to 1920x1080 and 60 hertz here. I went to "Manage custom resolutions" and tried to create a new one as was suggested by someone, however it would not let me save 1080 lines, instead it would revert back to 540 always. Ideas?

Next, I bought a VGA cable for the Xbox 360 from Monoprice and at first it worked great. Everything was perfect. Then at some point I started playing with PIP/POP, etc on the TV, and switching between the various inputs, and all of a sudden at some point the entire picture shifted to the right and a vertical green bar appeared on the left side of the screen surrounded by black. I don't know what caused this, and in a week I haven't been able to make it go away. I played with switching back and forth between resolutions, etc, within the Xbox. The problem does not exist at all when I use the component cable, and 1080p looks great. I'd really like to be able to use the VGA, though.

Aside from that, there was one dead pixel. I was really bummed about that. At first I thought I got away clean, but then when the screen is all black I notice it. It's right in the center of the screen, too. I really can't see it unless the area becomes dark, because it's white in color. I tried lightly massaging it as has been suggested and it did nothing. Can someone refer me to a link for a good software program that may be able to elminate it? I've heard some people had some success with those. I'm not sure if this is a reason to return the monitor, but if I could still order another from Costco I definitely would. I should have just ordered about 5 and picked the best one and returned the rest. I'm bummed now because it seems that I may not be able to get a new one if I end up needing to return it.

I will really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,
Ryan

Doesn't seem to work in the new control panel switch to the classic control panel interface, then follow the instructions.

How long does the RMA process typically take? It's been nearly 3 weeks since Westinghouse received my LCD, and they can't even tell me the status of the thing. They did tell me a bunch of lies, however, such as "it'll take at most 3 business days" and "it'll take 10 to 14 days" and "our computer system is down."

Hi guys, I got my SE about a week ago, and I'm really impressed with the picture. Boy I should have made this decision a long time ago and not worried about it.

However, I'm glad I chose the Costco route in case I need to return it, because I'm having some problems. I'm also nervous that I won't be able to get another if I do need to return it, because they don't seem to be available anywhere at all anymore! Especially not for the great Costco price.

These are my problems. And I've spent quite a bit of time scouring this thread, so please don't ask me to find the solutions in the thread.

First of all, I too cannot get 1080p in Win XP. I have an evga 6600gt, and it should be sufficient for basic desktop use. I'm not worried about gaming just yet. I downloaded the latest forceware drivers off guru3d and installed them. In Control Panel/Display I set screen resolution to 1920x1080, and I also set it to 60 hertz. But the "i" button shows 1080i, and there's lots of ghosting. In Nvidia's Control Panel, I'm using version 1.4.13.07 and it seems a little different than that described and shown by some of the users here. I also verified it's set to 1920x1080 and 60 hertz here. I went to "Manage custom resolutions" and tried to create a new one as was suggested by someone, however it would not let me save 1080 lines, instead it would revert back to 540 always. Ideas?

Next, I bought a VGA cable for the Xbox 360 from Monoprice and at first it worked great. Everything was perfect. Then at some point I started playing with PIP/POP, etc on the TV, and switching between the various inputs, and all of a sudden at some point the entire picture shifted to the right and a vertical green bar appeared on the left side of the screen surrounded by black. I don't know what caused this, and in a week I haven't been able to make it go away. I played with switching back and forth between resolutions, etc, within the Xbox. The problem does not exist at all when I use the component cable, and 1080p looks great. I'd really like to be able to use the VGA, though.

Aside from that, there was one dead pixel. I was really bummed about that. At first I thought I got away clean, but then when the screen is all black I notice it. It's right in the center of the screen, too. I really can't see it unless the area becomes dark, because it's white in color. I tried lightly massaging it as has been suggested and it did nothing. Can someone refer me to a link for a good software program that may be able to elminate it? I've heard some people had some success with those. I'm not sure if this is a reason to return the monitor, but if I could still order another from Costco I definitely would. I should have just ordered about 5 and picked the best one and returned the rest. I'm bummed now because it seems that I may not be able to get a new one if I end up needing to return it.

Thanks,
Ryan

You didn't read the post info close enough if you are using the Nvidia control panel. You have to use the Classic Control panel to get into 1080p. You may have to create a custom setting, but it should be listed in the drop down after you attempt to create a custom resolution... It is a driver issue not a problem with your westy. It sounds like you may just have a stuck pixel and possibly not a dead one, have you tried to fix it yet? Both my westys had some stuck/dead pixels but I was able to fix it on one screen by pressing on the stuck pix. The other is a dead pixel in the corner so I'm living with it.

My would not go into 1080p eithe rusing the Nvidia control panel, even though I was able to select non interlaced.

You have to use the Classic Control panel to get into 1080p. You may have to create a custom setting, but it should be listed in the drop down after you attempt to create a custom resolution... It is a driver issue not a problem with your westy. It sounds like you may just have a stuck pixel and possibly not a dead one, have you tried to fix it yet?

Do you mean the Windows XP Control Panel? And then where do I go? Under Display? I set 1920x1080 there, but I don't see a place to set 1080p. I'm not sure I understand what the Classic Control panel is.

How can you tell the difference between a stuck and a dead pixel? Because it's white in color? I will try to press it, rather than just massage it. Are there software programs that are designed to exercise stuck pixels?

Any ideas on the X360 vga issue?

Thanks!!

Does anybody have this hooked up to a wii?

I tried hooking it up with component cables in both inputs and it looks terribly washed out and grainy and the contrast is really nasty.

I tried taking a picture but I have a shitty point and shoot so I can't show you how it really looks just take my word on it.

Does anybody have this hooked up to a wii?

I tried hooking it up with component cables in both inputs and it looks terribly washed out and grainy and the contrast is really nasty.

I tried taking a picture but I have a shitty point and shoot so I can't show you how it really looks just take my word on it.

Did you calibrate the component input that you are using? I have the Wii hooked up to mine on component and I find the image to be pretty good. Well, at least as good as a 480p source can be on a set of this type. I'm at work ATM, so I can't give you my settings. You can try searching the thread here or at AVSforum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=655280).

How long does the RMA process typically take? It's been nearly 3 weeks since Westinghouse received my LCD, and they can't even tell me the status of the thing. They did tell me a bunch of lies, however, such as "it'll take at most 3 business days" and "it'll take 10 to 14 days" and "our computer system is down."

Westinghouse took 28 days to get my RMA back to me (They signed for it on the 1st, I received it back on the 28th). I called them on the 27th and they were unable to tell me if it had shipped. Technically, I received the set well inside the quoted timeframe (4-6 weeks), but it is really frustrating as hell to deal with a support staff that doesn't know what is happening and can't quickly find out. A 72-hour turnaround for a status request is just plain embarassing in an age of email. On the positive side, I didn't have to jump through hoops to get the RMA approved. I did have to jump through hoops to get them to send a shipping label, but I consider that fair.

Thanks,
Ryan

This probably won't work, but I have found that sometimes unplugging the Westinghouse from the wall and the plugging it back in fixes small things like your VGA problem.

Westinghouse took 28 days to get my RMA back to me (They signed for it on the 1st, I received it back on the 28th). I called them on the 27th and they were unable to tell me if it had shipped. Technically, I received the set well inside the quoted timeframe (4-6 weeks), but it is really frustrating as hell to deal with a support staff that doesn't know what is happening and can't quickly find out. A 72-hour turnaround for a status request is just plain embarassing in an age of email. On the positive side, I didn't have to jump through hoops to get the RMA approved. I did have to jump through hoops to get them to send a shipping label, but I consider that fair.
I share your frustration. At least you got the free shipping label; I, on the other hand, had to shell out $55 to FedEx. How is the unit they sent you?

This probably won't work, but I have found that sometimes unplugging the Westinghouse from the wall and the plugging it back in fixes small things like your VGA problem.

I figured out how to get rid of the black bar with the green vertical line. I set it to autoadjust, and now it resizes it properly. However, there I'm having a problem with banding, like a rippling echo effect the the right of all text, borders, etc, and even along the entire left edge of the screen. It's serious enough to be annoying, and it's only on VGA, not component. I'm using an aftermarket cable by Intec that I got through monoprice, but I thought that wouldn't make a difference. Is anyone with the SE model having this problem?

Thanks

I share your frustration. At least you got the free shipping label; I, on the other hand, had to shell out $55 to FedEx. How is the unit they sent you?

Flawless. For some reason, the UPS guy thought it was a good idea to leave the 42" LCD on the front porch in the open with no one home. I am DAMNED glad I live in a cul-de-sac.

Hi guys. I have a question. I've had the 37SE for awhile and I've been loving it. My only issue is that there is a dark "band" going horizontally about 3 inches from the top. It is very noticeable if you look for it, but not really if you don't.

Well, just recently, I started to notice that this set DOES have significant ghosting while playing FPS like day of defeat/counterstrike/etc.. I am using the DVI input straight from my ATI 1800gto. I usually game at the 720p resolution, cause my computer isn't good enough to handle 1900x1080. Do you think this is the issue, or is the ghosting just a part of the TV. It's not a dealbreaker, but you definitely keep noticing it after the first time. Let me know. Thanks.

Yes, you sending a 720P signal to the westy is the problem. It upconverts everything to 1080P, and does not do a very good job of it relatively speaking. This monitor is awesome when fed a pure 1080p signal only.

I'd recommend either a vid card upgrade, or short of that, try running your games at native res, but with some eye candy turned off to get the framerate back up.

I've noticed that it does the interpolation of 1360x768 (wierd res I know) much better than 1280x720. Much crisper and less ghosting. Same goes for 1280x1024, although thats a PC resolution, not a widescreen resolution.

Hello. I'll start off by saying i have a westinghouse LVM-42W2. I'm sure these questions have been asked before but i couldnt find any answers while searching the threads so here they are.

First of all i was wondering if digital cable is supposed to produce a better quality image than regular standard def tv. I just had the digital cable installer in here today and he provided me with a digital cable box and everything is up and running...but the quality still looks the same.

Also, if there is a way to get better quality from digital cable, how would you go about connecting the cable box to the tv (what type of cables would be used) seeing as how there isnt an input on the tv for catv. Could i just go from the box to the tv, or would i need to go through a dvd player or something?

I'd really appreciate any advice, thank you.

The 37w2 is not capable of displaying 1080p. Be sure your cable box is set to output 720p and NOT 1080i. Also, use the digital connections if your cable box has this type of output, rather than svideo, or composite cables.

I just re-read your post. Unless you're sending a HD signal to the westy, no, digital cable is actually worse in quality over standard analog cable, due to the fact that the signal is compressed. The cable company does this so it can fit more channels on the cable, and to control how you receive the content (by way of the decoder box), not to improve the quality.

How do I enable the classic control panel in Vista?

edit: In Vista all you have to do is go into display settings > advanced settings > monitor and uncheck "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" then change the refresh rate to 60.

I'm sorry to post this in a panic, but I have been looking at getting this monitor for a long time.

Unfortunately since I live in Canada, I can only get this in the States.

I've been discussing this with a friend for a long time, and we finally figured out a way to get it across, as he will be going to school in Oregon and can bring it back come Christmas.

Now however I'm starting to panic.
I can't find it anywhere on the costco.com site.

Does anyone know if it is no longer being carried by Costco?

Does anyone know where I might be able to get this monitor at that amazing 799 price.

Don't believe the monitor is being made anymore. It vanished pretty much from everywhere except costco, and then from costco.

Replaced by the TX series that come in 42 and 47 inches with tuners but look to be similar in specs for the most part, no dvis.

Don't believe the monitor is being made anymore. It vanished pretty much from everywhere except costco, and then from costco.

Replaced by the TX series that come in 42 and 47 inches with tuners but look to be similar in specs for the most part, no dvis.

Glad that I got one when I did.

Remember you could always use a DVI->HDMI adapter if you really want to use the next series as a monitor.

Does anyone know if it is no longer being carried by Costco?

Does anyone know where I might be able to get this monitor at that amazing 799 price.

Sorry mate, those deals were killer several weeks ago and a lot of people jumped on that deal. At the moment.. a LOT of websites are either OOS, discontinued or marking the price up insanely. Don't know what to say unless we get official word from Westinghouse that its discontinued.

Back