Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

It's likely an issue with your graphics card. Are you using ATI or Nvidia. I have an ATI, and you should play around with their catalyst settings.

I have a 7800 GT it should not be a problem but I cannot run the native resolution properly via VGA cable.

This sucks... I feel like I'm looking at a projection TV I should have know better to think that a TV would work as a monitor...I probably should have went with a 30" instead. I'm going to hook back up my 22" CRT tonight.

I have a 7800 GT it should not be a problem but I cannot run the native resolution properly via VGA cable.

This sucks... I feel like I'm looking at a projection TV I should have know better to think that a TV would work as a monitor...I probably should have went with a 30" instead. I'm going to hook back up my 22" CRT tonight.

Pretty sad that you'd just give up like that. Make sure you have Nvidia's latest drivers, and if necessary, call their support and ask them how you can enable HDTV resolutions (specificall 1080p). I'm sure you'll be satisfied one you get it working, though you'd be even more satisfied if you went with a DVI cable and not VGA.

Can somebody please measure the distance between the mounting holes horizontally on the back?

I just placed my order, but need to find out if my existing wall mount will be compatible.

Thanks!

DVI is much better than VGA, you don't need to adjust anything with DVI expect resolution :) of course, if you can afford $900 monitor then why not spend $16 to get high quality DVI cable and give it one more try to see if you like it or not then decide if you want to return and get Dell 30" or keep this beautiful monitor w/ reasonable price

I'm having a lot of trouble bringing out detail in dark areas using my dvd player with a test set-up disc. I'm trying to configure the tv based on it, for cable and consoles, too, then I'll change nvidia settings to get configuration I want for the computer.

Well today I slipped out of work to go home and eagerly await the arrival of my 37 inch-er from Costco.com. The box was in rough shape, it looks like it had opened from the top and bottom and had been taped back shut. There were holes and dents in the box. I opened the top (well it was already pretty open) and noticed that the monitor was just loose inside the box! There were a few soft-foam corners but they had long ago fallen to the bottom of the box. The monitor was even in the box crooked with two corners of the monitors popping out of the box at the top and bottom. The corner of the monitor popping out of the box was all roughed up. Needless to say I was heart broken. How could such an expensive item be shipped so haphazardly? What a let down! I will have to drag its remains to the nearest Costco this weekend for a refund and reorder the monitor. Has anyone else had this problem?

Not giving up yet, just hooking up the 22" untill my DVI cable arrives (was supposed to ship days ago but it looks like there might be a delay). Like I said I can run the native resolution with the VGA cable (1920x1080) but it leaves the screen letterboxed on the sides like if you set a widescreen TV to display normal rather stretching a non widescreen picture. If I enable Stretch on the monitor it fills in the horizontal but expands the verticle outside of the screen making windows impossible to use. However running 1920x1200 fills up the entire screen (but not native and text looks horrible).

I need to see at LEAST 100% improvement to even consider keeping this thing. Maybe it's not worse than most LCD's but it is definately far from as clear as my CRT so far.

edit: ahh, you got one.. ok, cool. make sure it's dvi-d! I ordered a dvi-i cable thinking it would work and one of the pins is too wide to work on the westy's input. I was pissed! doh.

edit: damn I didn't get much sleep last night.. so it's just fuzzy looking over vga.. hrm.. well, hold out for that dvi cable.. it should fix most of the problem.. but mind you, this is a HUGE screen and your sitting pretty close to it.. so you are going to see some pixelation.. I do a tiny bit, but it's fine.. when I game on this thing I don't notice it at all and that's 90% of what I do on that machine.. even in windows it looks great to me.. it's friggin big.. I have a 24" lcd next to it at 1920x1200 and sure it's sharper but I love the real estate on the westy. hands down. Anyways.. your making a sort of interesting transition from CRT, typically the clearest of the clear to a very large LCD which is going to show some pixelation.. if were you, I would get the DVI cable, then use the Westy for at least a week or two if you can before making any decisions. Just to get used to it. also something still seems off if you run at 1920x1080 letter boxed. try adjusting the lcd in it's menuing system and also make sure you're at 1080P (not 1080i) in the Nvidia control panel.

Hey all... I've been lurking this thread for weeks now... finally bit the bullet and ordered mine from Costco yesterday!! Wooo!!!

So I've got a 24" Dell widescreen right now. I use a DVI cable with it (DVI on both ends) but I have no clue if that is DVI-D or DVI-I. I've spent some time searching this thread, but its a nightmare. Hehehe... so can someone clear up exactly what cable I need, and whether what I have will work?

Thanks everyone!!!
-Sean

edit: ahh, you got one.. ok, cool. make sure it's dvi-d! I ordered a dvi-i cable thinking it would work and one of the pins is too wide to work on the westy's input. I was pissed! doh.

edit: damn I didn't get much sleep last night.. so it's just fuzzy looking over vga.. hrm.. well, hold out for that dvi cable.. it should fix most of the problem.. but mind you, this is a HUGE screen and your sitting pretty close to it.. so you are going to see some pixelation.. I do a tiny bit, but it's fine.. when I game on this thing I don't notice it at all and that's 90% of what I do on that machine.. even in windows it looks great to me.. it's friggin big.. I have a 24" lcd next to it at 1920x1200 and sure it's sharper but I love the real estate on the westy. hands down. Anyways.. your making a sort of interesting transition from CRT, typically the clearest of the clear to a very large LCD which is going to show some pixelation.. if were you, I would get the DVI cable, then use the Westy for at least a week or two if you can before making any decisions. Just to get used to it. also something still seems off if you run at 1920x1080 letter boxed. try adjusting the lcd in it's menuing system and also make sure you're at 1080P (not 1080i) in the Nvidia control panel.

Thanks for the tip on the controll panel I'm not sure where to change that setting. I have setup many LCD's for other people and use on at work as well, I just always just liked my CRT better (Mostly used Dell LCD's) Including the famous old 1800 model as well as their new 20". I picked up a Monstercable M500 4 meter DVI-D on ebay for a dollar + shipping so like $11. I'm curious to see how well the speakers work, I won't be cranking them up anyways but nice to take the headphones off sometimes.

Oh yea I have a problem seeing detail in dark images as well, I can bring it out by increasng brightness or backlight but then my blacks look gray. For example the Transformers "Destroy" background http://www.transformersmovie.com/main.html?side=d (not the best for this new screen but it works as an example)

Hey all... I've been lurking this thread for weeks now... finally bit the bullet and ordered mine from Costco yesterday!! Wooo!!!

So I've got a 24" Dell widescreen right now. I use a DVI cable with it (DVI on both ends) but I have no clue if that is DVI-D or DVI-I. I've spent some time searching this thread, but its a nightmare. Hehehe... so can someone clear up exactly what cable I need, and whether what I have will work?

Thanks everyone!!!
-Sean

DVI-I will not work.. on the westy side.. I tried it. the wide pin set to the side of the cluster of pins on the DVI-I flavor is too wide to fit into the slot on the "female" side (that's what she said.. too big! ahhh! srry.. gah.. I am in rare form today on 2 hrs sleep)

I would go with DVI-D dual link (for max bandwidth).

here's the poop on DVI cables BTW

Thanks for the tip on the controll panel I'm not sure where to change that setting. I have setup many LCD's for other people and use on at work as well, I just always just liked my CRT better (Mostly used Dell LCD's) Including the famous old 1800 model as well as their new 20". I picked up a Monstercable M500 4 meter DVI-D on ebay for a dollar + shipping so like $11. I'm curious to see how well the speakers work, I won't be cranking them up anyways but nice to take the headphones off sometimes.

ok, sweet.. that's a super nice cable. perfect for this. Uhm.. yeah, this threw me when I first hooked mine.. the driver sees it as a TV, so I had to go to that section and then found the 1080p vs 1080i stuff.. what driver are you running? does it have the classic or new nvidia control panel? the good news was once I set it that way subsequent driver updates always restored my 1080p setting after I rebooted and waited for the driver update to "settle in" post boot..

DVI-I will not work.. on the westy side.. I tried it. the wide pin set to the side of the cluster of pins on the DVI-I flavor is too wide to fit into the slot on the "female" side (that's what she said.. too big! ahhh! srry.. gah.. I am in rare form today on 2 hrs sleep)
LOL... that's hilarious. :)
I would go with DVI-D dual link (for max bandwidth).

here's the poop on DVI cables BTW

Ok, so I'll grab a DVI-D cable then - that link was perfect, I understand what the difference now. :)

EDIT: Nevermind about AWG - it's the gauge, i.e. thickness. Dur. Removed the stupid question. LOL...

Next question... Newegg has a DVI-D to HDMI cable (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812105824) - should I stick with a pure DVI-D solution, or do you get anything out of using this HDMI connection?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for the answers! :)

Well.. I personally would stick to DVI --> DVI unless you ~need~ to do the conversion to HDMI.. I don't think you gain anything for sure, picture wise.. maybe free up your DVI ports on the Westy, or maybe being able to hook your PC to future devices which do not have a DVI input? That might be handy.. by the same token I think the DVI to HDMI cable might be a little more $$. . . but nothing too out of hand I would imagine.

PS: One note on the DVI connectors, the only HDCP compliant DVI connector on the Westy is DVI2 (as you face the back of the unit, on the left side) so keep that in mind...

I believe HDMI cables can also contrain the audio singal, but I may be wrong. Other than that and form factor I don't think there is much difference.

i wanna use this monitor as a tv mostly and hook my xbox 360 with the vga cable. how will it look?, there has been discussion on this thread that dvi is better than vga, but thats when using it as a pc monitor right?

Hi All,

All of you Guys should be ashamed of yourselfs. You've all went & made me discard my idea of purchasing either a Eizo or NEC Monitor to seriously considering this Monitor. Damn!

A couple of questions before I pull the trigger on this Monitor, First are the Black levels on this Monitor as Grey as some folk reported?

Second, How about text, as this would be replacing my Sony, with Clear Type enabled would I be able to use this Monitor for Spread Sheets & such?

My Thanks to all who respond.

Not giving up yet, just hooking up the 22" untill my DVI cable arrives (was supposed to ship days ago but it looks like there might be a delay). Like I said I can run the native resolution with the VGA cable (1920x1080) but it leaves the screen letterboxed on the sides like if you set a widescreen TV to display normal rather stretching a non widescreen picture. If I enable Stretch on the monitor it fills in the horizontal but expands the verticle outside of the screen making windows impossible to use. However running 1920x1200 fills up the entire screen (but not native and text looks horrible).

I need to see at LEAST 100% improvement to even consider keeping this thing. Maybe it's not worse than most LCD's but it is definately far from as clear as my CRT so far.

I saw the same things man... VGA is weird. It doesn't want to format right when it Auto-Configs. Mine happens to fill the screen almost perfectly on 'Normal', but if I set it to Fill it is way cut off on all sides. As for how it looks... FUZZY, but Ok from a few feet back.

We have some laptops here with DVI, so I went and grabbed one... hooked it up. DAMN. Hahah. Sharp as can be and very vivid. I'm not even sure it was running on 1080p either... The ATI control panel it had installed sucks.

So in other words. Don't worry... It looks freaking unbelievable on DVI and probably HDMI too. It made me go onto Newegg and price out the cheapest, good desktop I could put together with a Nvidia 8 series. All I've got at home now is a Toshiba laptop with VGA out. Damn. I knew it would make me want to upgrade!

Yea I'm kind of wondering on the video card, I need an upgrade, maybe an 8800GTS 640 (320 won't work well i guess) I'm not one to spend $300 or more on a video card that will need to be repalced in a year anymore though.

Thinking to get the EVGA then swap it in 6 months through their program but with liquid cooling its a bit of a PITA. But first I need to see it with a DVI I can't wait for my stupid cable to get here, I figured the cable would get here first but the monitor took less than 24 hours to recieve once shipped.

PS: One note on the DVI connectors, the only HDCP compliant DVI connector on the Westy is DVI2 (as you face the back of the unit, on the left side) so keep that in mind...

Well, being said that the W3se model only has one DVI port, is it HDCP compliant? If it isn't I'm canceling and waiting for the next bang for the buck LCD

Yea I'm kind of wondering on the video card, I need an upgrade, maybe an 8800GTS 640 (320 won't work well i guess) I'm not one to spend $300 or more on a video card that will need to be repalced in a year anymore though.

Thinking to get the EVGA then swap it in 6 months through their program but with liquid cooling its a bit of a PITA. But first I need to see it with a DVI I can't wait for my stupid cable to get here, I figured the cable would get here first but the monitor took less than 24 hours to recieve once shipped.

Here ya go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814150229

May not be enough for what you're doin if you're looking at a freaking 8800gts, but it's what I'm lookin at.

Well, being said that the W3se model only has one DVI port, is it HDCP compliant? If it isn't I'm canceling and waiting for the next bang for the buck LCD

I believe it is. The one they eliminated was the one that was having problems with HDCP. I'll confirm for you when I get home.

Well, I can't confirm anything but they would be insane to remove the only HDCP compliant DVI port on the device.. I am sure the one remaining is HDCP compliant.. but let's wait and see what milagu says. :)

I believe HDMI cables can also contrain the audio singal, but I may be wrong. Other than that and form factor I don't think there is much difference.

True! and good point, but it does no good on a DVI <--> HDMI cable because the DVI end wont be capable of capturing or delivering an audio signal..

My Experience with West 37 and 8800GTS. The newer drivers (e.g. 102) don't work stock.

You need to create a custom timing with the timing set to CVT-reduced blank

The drivers that shipped with the card (like 75) did not have this problem, but froze.

I googled the problem, called their support and finally figured it out trial and error.

-glenn

Well, I can't confirm anything but they would be insane to remove the only HDCP compliant DVI port on the device.. I am sure the one remaining is HDCP compliant.. but let's wait and see what milagu says. :)

True! and good point, but it does no good on a DVI <--> HDMI cable because the DVI end wont be capable of capturing or delivering an audio signal..

Right, I was just stating what the difference was, I belive the new ATI cards can use HDMI Cables and output the sound as well. So if were were thinking a bout getting one of those the HDMI cable would be a bit better choise. They do use a DVI-HDMI Adapter but it must be different than a typical one. Maybe I will hold off on the 8800GTS Drivers are kind of important.

Your video card should be fine, my fx5950 had the option to run 1080p.
I should try out a vga cable for myself and see what the hell is wrong with it.

Where do you select 1080p vs 1080i? I'm not finding this in the Forceware drivers...

I have a x1950 on this comp now so I can't recall exactly where it is, but I do remember forcing my 90gx2 to do 480p and had the option for the other tv resolutions too.

^^ there we go.

Nvidia Control Panel -> Under Video&Television -> Change the signal or HD format -> 1080p HDTV.

TY k00lance.. :)

As for the 8800GTS, that's an awesome card and it for sure does 1080p... I would always download and install the latest stable drivers for the card rather than using the ones on the CD which came with it.. the 8800 series architecture is all the same and the drivers are just fine.. I run them every day and they work well. I currently use 158.44. Also cards down to a 6600GT/6200 level and lower probably will run 1080p no problem.. it doesn't take a lot of horse power to push windoze in 2d at 1920x1080. It's more limited to video memory than gpu power.. and all you need to run @ 1920x1080 with 16mil colors is 16mb or more, believe it or dont.. for 1600x1200 @ 16mil you only need 8mb! crazy.. anyways..

Right, I was just stating what the difference was, I belive the new ATI cards can use HDMI Cables and output the sound as well. So if were were thinking a bout getting one of those the HDMI cable would be a bit better choise. They do use a DVI-HDMI Adapter but it must be different than a typical one. Maybe I will hold off on the 8800GTS Drivers are kind of important.

Ahhh yes. I guess I forgot the 2900 series has onboard audio.. crazy. lol. it appears to use an adapter right at the DVI port on the video card.. not sure how they get the audio through that either.. but regardless, do you want your audio going to the TV speakers or to your surround setup?? I guess you could use the rca output cables on the Westy back to the sorround system. But also I don't know too many poeple who are flocking to onboard audio solutions over their X-FI's.. I guess that depends on you and your setup though. If you get an HDMI to HDMI cable you can't then hook up a video card that doesn't have HDMI (unless you have a convertor dongle) which most do not have at this point.. Anyways.. I think we have beaten this subject dead, so I think the best advice is just buy what suits your needs given your setup and satisfies your wants.

Nvidia Control Panel -> Under Video&Television -> Change the signal or HD format -> 1080p HDTV.

Interesting I don't have a Video&Television section in my driver. I just installed the most recent drivers...That Option is not listed. I did notice that the settings widnow changes back and fourth between the westinghouse37 and nalo display every other tme I check it. So maybe that is the problem.

Should I downgrade to some older drivers?

Edit: had to put drivers in advanced mode...Now I found it however I don't have the option to change the signal, the only option I have under Video and Television is Video Color Settings...and it says I am using an analog display. It also crashes every other time I select it.

edit: now I cannot get into it at all! (Working on it remote)

Would the following dvi cable work in reverse? To alternate between two computers, but not at the same time. I would like to use this with the SE...

DVI-D Male to DVI-D Female X 2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...04&p_id=2518&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I think that would work ok.. but I'd be careful not to have both machines on at the same time.. I am not sure what that would do.. might be harmfull to the video cards and/or the TV. maybe do some googling on it..

Interesting I don't have a Video&Television section in my driver. I just installed the most recent drivers...That Option is not listed. I did notice that the settings widnow changes back and fourth between the westinghouse37 and nalo display every other tme I check it. So maybe that is the problem.

Should I downgrade to some older drivers?

hrm.. so what drivers were you running? what monitor does your drivers detect the Westy as also? it should see it as an LVM-37W3.. ~should~ but in reality we know these things often do not go as planned. lol. oy vey! If it's coming up as a Nalo or whatever I would bet that is causing the issues.. it should load the profile for the Westy then you'll have the right video modes available. Just for shits and grins you might try something in an early 9 series driver.. like these. I'd be sure to run a cleaning between each installation..

edit: ok, looks like for the 7 series cards the latest driver they recommend is this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

I think that would work ok.. but I'd be careful not to have both machines on at the same time.. I am not sure what that would do.. might be harmfull to the video cards and/or the TV. maybe do some googling on it..

hrm.. so what drivers were you running? what monitor does your drivers detect the Westy as also? it should see it as an LVM-37W3.. ~should~ but in reality we know these things often do not go as planned. lol. oy vey! If it's coming up as a Nalo or whatever I would bet that is causing the issues.. it should load the profile for the Westy then you'll have the right video modes available. Just for shits and grins you might try something in an early 9 series driver.. like these. I'd be sure to run a cleaning between each installation..

edit: ok, looks like for the 7 series cards the latest driver they recommend is this one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html

Thats the driver I'm using. It switches back and fourth between detecting the westy and analog display...And it keeps crashing as well. I will try more when I get home tonight.

Hi All,

A couple of questions before I pull the trigger on this Monitor, First are the Black levels on this Monitor as Grey as some folk reported?

Second, How about text, as this would be replacing my Sony, with Clear Type enabled would I be able to use this Monitor for Spread Sheets & such?

My Thanks to all who respond.

In my opinion, the black levels are comparable to any other LCD I've used. Not as good as a CRT or plasma, but they are perfectly acceptable to me (and 98% of the other 37W3 posters in this thread).

As far as text goes, you'll want to turn OFF "cleartype" once you get the 37W3 driven at its native resolution. This monitor features perfect contrast when typing. The dot in the i translates into exactly one lit pixel on the screen. If you turn "cleartype" on, it will make nearby pixels light up to "soften" the contrast, and will result in blurry text.

Thats the driver I'm using. It switches back and fourth between detecting the westy and analog display...And it keeps crashing as well. I will try more when I get home tonight.

ok, do a cleaning of that driver and roll back to that other one I posted.. see if that helps. good luck man. :)

GUys, I just got my monitor. It's a LVM-37W3SE...anyway I'm running it at 1080P but it does not fill my monitor completely. I'm connected from my video card's DVI to the monitors HDMI. The fill is at standard and my video card is set to centered. I have an ATI 1900. THanks.

regardless of that, it's a good price on that monitor.. that's roughly only $100 more than many high end 24" LCDs.. crazy!

Back