Got my Benq XL2420T - My opinions

anyone have some good calibration settings for BF3?

or are the preset ones decent enough?

Impressed so far by 120hz. First time I have gamed on monitors at the refresh rte and the difference is noticeably faster.

Here's my profile for those that requested it. I got a Spyder 4 Pro, so the profile changed.

My settings.

Standard mode
Brightness: 0 (this gives you 120nits)
Contrast: 50
Gamma 4
User color mode: 96 green, 100 blue, 100 red (that's to get 6500k before calibration)

Then apply the profile:

http://ordorica.org/system/misc/BenQ XL2420T v4.icm

If you use my previously mentioned settings, then here's my Spyder 3 profile:

http://ordorica.org/system/misc/BenQ XL2420T Normal 6500K 2.2.icm

Will give these a try later, much appreciated.

Yeah according to the Spyder 4 profiler, this display does 96% of the SRGB gamut. That's pretty good for TN and 120Hz.

Still very conflicted between this and the ASUS VG236H , I'm really looking for the lowest input latency as possible.

Since I've owned a U2410 I'm sure the AG coating on the BenQ isn't nearly that bad so I think I can tolerate it fine.

Still very conflicted between this and the ASUS VG236H , I'm really looking for the lowest input latency as possible.

Since I've owned a U2410 I'm sure the AG coating on the BenQ isn't nearly that bad so I think I can tolerate it fine.

The Lowest lag champion is currently Asus VG278H (prad.de)

The BenQ's AG coating is the same as the Acer's (medium AG).

I recall that you don't own a colorimeter, in that case buy one, get the Asus or hunt down the Planar SA2311W if you really want a matte display.

The BenQ is excellent after calibration, it has a slight purple tinge but it is not as strongly tinted as the S23A700D and the Asus which has a green tint to the greys which I never noticed until I played Alan Wake on both. I strongly suggest you get an i1 display pro or the cheaper colourmunkie which are LED compatible colorimeters since the default colours are meh compared to the Asus and Samsung's. I measured identical input lag when I faced the BenQ against the Asus.

Both feel as equally as responsive delay wise but the Asus spanks the BenQ @60hz in terms of ghosting and is faster @120hz as well. If you plan on 3D gaming the BenQ has almost 0 cross-talk thanks to Nvidia 3D Vision 2 and is much brighter, but the Asus still looks better in 3D. The AG coating is very noticeable in 3D on the BenQ: there is a slight screen door effect during motion and of course your typical grain/sparkle with light colours.

Last edited:
Can someone help me , when i am playing BF3 with this monitor when I get killed by someone it seems to lag or stutter or freeze kind of only for a sec.

It's just when I get killed?

any idea what could be causing this?

never happened with my old monitor.

cheers

Last edited:
fixed it.. changed the video resolution in bf3 to 100hz then back to 120hz and working fine now

The Lowest lag champion is currently Asus VG278H (prad.de)

The BenQ's AG coating is the same as the Acer's (medium AG).

I recall that you don't own a colorimeter, in that case buy one, get the Asus or hunt down the Planar SA2311W if you really want a matte display.

The BenQ is excellent after calibration, it has a slight purple tinge but it is not as strongly tinted as the S23A700D and the Asus which has a green tint to the greys which I never noticed until I played Alan Wake on both. I strongly suggest you get an i1 display pro or the cheaper colourmunkie which are LED compatible colorimeters since the default colours are meh compared to the Asus and Samsung's. I measured identical input lag when I faced the BenQ against the Asus but SMTT 2.0 does not account on the time it takes for the target luminance to be achieved which only PRAD.de has the equipment to measure.

Both feel as equally as responsive delay wise but the Asus spanks the BenQ @60hz in terms of ghosting and is faster @120hz as well. If you plan on 3D gaming the BenQ has almost 0 cross-talk thanks to Nvidia 3D Vision 2 and is much brighter, but the Asus still looks better in 3D. The AG coating is very noticeable in 3D on the BenQ: there is a slight screen door effect during motion and of course your typical grain/sparkle with light colours.

I bought a colorimeter actually (Spyder 3) so I do plan to calibrate but its not a major concern since this monitor will just be for gaming. I'm sketchy on the whole "3D" thing. I tried Nvidia Nvision ages ago and while I enjoyed it I hated the cross-talk , it made my eyes want to burn themselves out of their own sockets with pain. So if its that much of an improvement on the BenQ I suppose its something to consider.

I've heard the BenQ built in IR doesn't function very well and has a short range. Did you encounter this issue? I also wear glasses and I've heard the new glasses are larger and it makes a real difference for those with glasses in terms of comfort.

Thanks for your advice.

Where do you see that? I can't even find a review of this monitor by Prad

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-vg278h-teil7.html#Latenzzeit

A spyder 3 won't suffice for an LED backlit screen. It is quite inaccurate, even the DTP-94 or i1d2 would be better.

I also wear glasses and I have the regular 3D glasses. I read that the newer glasses show reflections inside of the frames. I sit about 2-ft away and the 3D works fine. The Acer GD235hz and Asus VG236H should have similar amounts of cross-talk. In all of my 3D movies which I saw cross-talk on the Asus and Samsung, the same scenes have been cross-talk free on the BenQ.

I haven't played very many 3D games, but BF3 was a cross-talk nightmare on the Asus while the BenQ is cross-talk free.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-vg278h-teil7.html#Latenzzeit

A spyder 3 won't suffice for an LED backlit screen. It is quite inaccurate, even the DTP-94 or i1d2 would be better.

I also wear glasses and I have the regular 3D glasses. I read that the newer glasses show reflections inside of the frames. I sit about 2-ft away and the 3D works fine. The Acer GD235hz and Asus VG236H should have similar amounts of cross-talk. In all of my 3D movies which I saw cross-talk on the Asus and Samsung, the same scenes have been cross-talk free on the BenQ.

I haven't played very many 3D games, but BF3 was a cross-talk nightmare on the Asus while the BenQ is cross-talk free.

Alright then I guess its time for a new meter. So to really break it down , if I intend to do any 3D gaming the BenQ is superior but if I only end up doing 2D gaming than the ASUS is superior?

Sounds like the ASUS is a safer bet as I really don't know if I'm going to be doing any 3D gaming at all at the moment.

It's free to view now.

I'd have liked to see a Tracefree 100 @ 120hz test by prad.de, as that looks equal to the Benq overdrive level. One can overlay the 60hz results tho and get a final value of 2.3ms input lag + 2.3ms full brightness = 4.6ms total.

In my opinion, while indeed the Spyder 4 is better at calibrating screens with varying backlighting, the Spyder 3 I have does almost as well.

At least it certainty is much improved over the default.

I guess there's a bit of a sensor lottery with the devices, so your's might not calibrate as well as mine, but I've found my Spyder 3 to be surprisingly accurate.

Here's my profile for those that requested it. I got a Spyder 4 Pro, so the profile changed.

My settings.

Standard mode
Gamma 4
User color mode: 96 green, 100 blue, 100 red (that's to get 6500k before calibration)

Then apply the profile:

Do you just double click to install those profiles?

Under the advanced display properties you can set the profile. But yeah, I think double clicking adds it to the options.

Got mine today. Still working on calibrating it but I think I'm close. Screen looks fantastic. FPS games at 120 hz are truly way more fluid.

Nub question, but I'm trying to get Diablo 3 to run at 120 hz with v-sync on (and I'm not the only one having this problem). But if my OS has the monitor at 120 hz and I disable v-sync, and I'm technically still playing the game at 120 hz? Granted the FPS may jump all over the place with screen tearing, but do individual games change/control the refresh rate or is it locked by the OS and monitor?

ie, if the OS has the monitor at 120 hz, but the game (for whatever reason) locks it at 60 fps with v-sync on...am I running at 120 hz or 60 hz for that game?

Last edited:
games can control the the refresh rate the same way it can control v sync on off and resolutions. its up to the developer if it overrides win settings.

Nub question, but I'm trying to get Diablo 3 to run at 120 hz with v-sync on (and I'm not the only one having this problem). But if my OS has the monitor at 120 hz and I disable v-sync, and I'm technically still playing the game at 120 hz? Granted the FPS may jump all over the place with screen tearing, but do individual games change/control the refresh rate or is it locked by the OS and monitor?

ie, if the OS has the monitor at 120 hz, but the game (for whatever reason) locks it at 60 fps with v-sync on...am I running at 120 hz or 60 hz for that game?

Turning on adaptive V-sync in control panel, Vsync off in game, and 200FPS Foreground max fps sits at 120fps for me.

I have read this is not working with AMD cards but their may be another trick.

Turning on adaptive V-sync in control panel, Vsync off in game, and 200FPS Foreground max fps sits at 120fps for me.

I have read this is not working with AMD cards but their may be another trick.

Yeah I have a Geforce 680, that seems to work although it looks like I get some tearing with that, you?

Weird, even with vsync off (both in control panel and in the game) and limiter set to 200, it seems to cap at 120.

If you're playing at 120 hz mode but capped at 60 fps, are you still getting the benefit of 120 hz or do you have to be running at 120 fps in addition to get the same smoothness?

Yeah I have a Geforce 680, that seems to work although it looks like I get some tearing with that, you?

Weird, even with vsync off (both in control panel and in the game) and limiter set to 200, it seems to cap at 120.

If you're playing at 120 hz mode but capped at 60 fps, are you still getting the benefit of 120 hz or do you have to be running at 120 fps in addition to get the same smoothness?

Yes you are getting the benefit of 120hz even at 60fps , the screen is refreshing at 120hz regardless of what your frame rate is at so its still smoother and more responsive looking. Having your game running at 120fps however is preferred because that's what the monitor is refreshing at and it will look its best when able to do so.

Its never a disadvantage to have a 120hz computer monitor for gaming to be quite frank. I've yet to see any of them produce horrible input latency and while many suck at color reproduction , they are still true 120hz monitors.

Anyone could tell, how that display compares to Samsung S23A700? and I don't mean the 3D, I know that BenQ is 3D Vision and Sammy is made for AMD.... I'll be using it only for 2D.

I just got one of these monitors and it had a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. It's going back. :mad:

Anyone could tell, how that display compares to Samsung S23A700? and I don't mean the 3D, I know that BenQ is 3D Vision and Sammy is made for AMD.... I'll be using it only for 2D.

Easy decision. Do you want matte or glossy

BenQ Matte
Samsung Glossy

I hate glossy so the choice was easy for me.

I'll also try to compare firmware. Current one is V005-20120130.
I just got mine today from Newegg. It has the same V005-20120130 firmware, and emitter version 1.04.110322

As far as I can tell after playing with it for about five hours mine doesn't seem to have any issues with the emitter not turning on.

To see the FW information hold down the menu button (4th one down) when turning the screen on. Let go of the menu button once the screen is on then tap it again.

Found this monitor at Home Depot of all places. Online only, but still allows for a return if you really don't like it.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10053&langId=-1&keyword=benq&storeId=10051

Been poking around at monitors for quite a while. Thought about trying one of the Korean ones. Just couldn't bring myself to risk the pixels / performance / etc. Also I've been using CRTs for so long because the blur has always bothered me.

Anyway! I was able to finally able to try one of these out due to the "local availability".

I've had the problem twice so far with my BenQ having a signal crash, or the monitor has a overscan problem with the signal or something, the monitor switches modes back and forth.

I've had it once happen while watching south park, and I can trigger it like -MAD- by going to the Ask Surprise Tumbler comic blog and scrolling at high speed, the monitor will keep doing it till eventually it gets a "DVI-D cable has a signal error" and I have to change the monitor from DVI-D too VGA and back again to fix the problem

Asus DirectCU II 7970 top edition here if that helps, switch on it set to DVI-D mode, monitor at 120hz

I picked up a XL2420T this week. I'm really impressed with the performance at 120 Hz. The latency is so incredibly low compared to my HP LP2475w. I'm connecting to it via DisplayPort.

Question though: when my system puts the monitors to sleep, the XL2420T seems to stay on, with the mouse cursor sitting in the center. I have tried "auto-power" set to both "Off" and "30 min." but had the same result.

EDIT: I turned off the big purple BenQ logo power-on screen in the service menu. Hated that.

Last edited:
Which settings are users going with at this point?

The one's in the first few posts, or the one from the person who used a Spyder 4 Pro?

I am looking to use the GW2750HM in a digital signage setup on a kiosk and I cant find anywhere if this monitor will turn its self back on after a power failure assuming its getting a signal from the computer? Can someone please try this and let me know? Thanks in advance!

I was very excited that my first ever 120hz panel arrived yesterday. The XL2420T. Hooked it up with the dual link dvi cable provided and only the left half of the screen works. The right half is completely washed out, looks like some 2 tone night vision picture. Made sure my graphics card firmware, driver and monitor driver were all updated and even tried a different dvi cable but no luck. :(

Hopefully the replacement will be bug free.

According this review the XL2420T pre calibrated has bad color vs S23A700D but once it is calibrated it is better colors?

So do I need to buy a calibrator to get closer to IPS colors and PQ?

My settings.

Standard mode
Gamma 4

Then apply the profile:

How to apply thise profile ?? Firstly I have changed Screen settings as given , then I installed the profile and under Color Management settings in Win7 I added Your profile and set it as default.. Now it looks like this:
60321079.jpg

Is it ok? Or i missed something and should do this in another way... ?

Thank you !

Back