Got my Benq XL2420T - My opinions

I am thinking about buying the BenQ XL2420T. I just got a Asus PA248Q which is a E-IPS panel. Well its great but the backlight bleed I do not like. I play BF3 and was really thinking about taking the plunge with 120HZ. How good is the color on the monitor, I know its a TN panel but their are good TN panels and really bad ones how does the Benq compare? Also can you run Displayport at 120hz? And are their any problems with backlight bleed on these monitors, and last but not least what color is the power LED, is it blue? I can return the Asus for a full refund it was #340. The Benq is about $380. I'm just worried about bad color shift and bad backlight bleed

Color is awesome (my opinion) with calibration. Power led is white, and NOT bright (Another + imo).

If I remember correctly it will do 120hz via Dual Link DVI or Display Port but not HDMI (I think the TX does).

After long testing between the Sammy 700D and BenQ XL2420T, I kept the benq also.

My friend also has it with a spider 4 calibrated and tbh it really matches the 700D colours..

Also I found the benq have a more CRT feeling when gaming, samsung felt a little laggy and I didnt like the glossy screen that much during game though I did like it more when browsing.

Now I just have to get a calibrator myself, dno wich one probably also the Spider 4 or something.

Color is awesome (my opinion) with calibration. Power led is white, and NOT bright (Another + imo).

Did you calibrate it yourself with a colorimeter or did you use one of the ICC profiles that has been posted?

And have anyone tryed both the tftcentral ICC and HecHacker1's? If so, which one did you prefer?
Is it worth buying a spyder 4 or are the profiles enough for a wow/bf3 player that also watches alot of movies?

Please help! Today I bought this display. I tried different settings and color profiles, but all colors have a red tint. I already have a headache from this red tint. The red color does not look like red. They rather crimson. Colors looks cold and looks like ****. My 3 year old acer v233h looks much better...

Please help! Today I bought this display. I tried different settings and color profiles, but all colors have a red tint. I already have a headache from this red tint. The red color does not look like red. They rather crimson. Colors looks cold and looks like ****. My 3 year old acer v233h looks much better...

the colors on the benq xl2420t will always look like ****
any kind of tint you should be able to remove manually inside the osd though

the colors on the benq xl2420t will always look like ****
any kind of tint you should be able to remove manually inside the osd though

According to some reviews the XL2420T will give you better calibrated colors then it's competitors, the out of the box colors are proper shit tho.

According to some reviews the XL2420T will give you better calibrated colors then it's competitors, the out of the box colors are proper shit tho.
most reviews for the xl2420t are simply paid/sponsored and far from reality
the same with certain "user reviews"

if you see extremely bad and at the same time extremely good reviews for the exact same product then you can always be sure that something isn't right

i've tried calibrating mine for 6 hours or so
and with or without calibration the result always was the worst image quality i've ever seen in a monitor

most reviews for the xl2420t are simply paid/sponsored and far from reality
the same with certain "user reviews"

if you see extremely bad and at the same time extremely good reviews for the exact same product then you can always be sure that something isn't right

i've tried calibrating mine for 6 hours or so
and with or without calibration the result always was the worst image quality i've ever seen in a monitor

The good reviews used a hardware calibrator on the different screens and 2420T was one of those that got closest to "accurate" colors.
And since you have been on it for 6h im quessing you did not hardware calibrate yours since that usually takes 5-10 min.
Here is a video of the Benq XL2420T and Asus VG236H standing next to one and other, both hardware calibrated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZ9amjCh_8
A quote from the written review by the same guy ->

"Unfortunately for most, the BenQ's strongest area of expertise is it's calibrated image quality. The colour preset's leave a lot to be desired, especially when compared to the Asus and Samsung 23" offerings, but when it comes to calibrated results, the BenQ XL2420T is a champion"

Last edited:
The good reviews used a hardware calibrator on the different screens and 2420T was one of those that got closest to "accurate" colors.
And since you have been on it for 6h im quessing you did not hardware calibrate yours since that usually takes 5-10 min.

yes it usually takes 5-10 min
but on the benq i've really been trying everything
(hardware calibration)

Just changed my setting and applied the icc profile and it looks great i like this monitor very much, I'm thinking ordering 2 more.

What ICC profile did you use?

Can you share your settings aswell? And if possible the ICC profile?

Thank you

After using these monitors for a week, I have to say its one of my favorite monitors so far. Having used about every monitor around(Dell U3011's to Samsung 27D950's to Apple Cinema 27") this monitor is about as good as you can get(with proper calibration)

No lag, good viewing distances for a TN, good colors, and so damn smooth. From the desktop to games I have never used a monitor this smooth before. I can never go back to 60hz:p

are the out of box calibration really as bad as ppl say? my friend has a spyder 3 but im not super picky about colors and never bothered to install the software and use it on my current monitor. will that work on the 2420t?

The colours are pretty meh compared to the cheaper competition (Asus VG236H & Samsung S23A700D) and a spyder 3 would be useless since they are quite inaccurate now given their age and they are not compatible (it will work but will be even more inaccurate) with LED back-lit displays.

Just got my BenQ today. Stuck pixel at the top left. If it's blue it means stuck and not dead right? Ran JScreenFix for 2 hours and it didn't fix it. Should I send it back over 1 pixel? It's pretty noticeable on dark colors.

The colours are pretty meh compared to the cheaper competition (Asus VG236H & Samsung S23A700D) and a spyder 3 would be useless since they are quite inaccurate now given their age and they are not compatible (it will work but will be even more inaccurate) with LED back-lit displays.

so will just adjusting the monitor settings make the 2420T better/on par with the competition?

so will just adjusting the monitor settings make the 2420T better/on par with the competition?

It has more accurate colours than the other <24" models after calibration with a proper colorimeter (spyder 4 elite or i1 display pro, 250$) but the grainy anti-glare coating which causes a screen door effect during fast motion while also reducing the vibrancy of clarity+white colours, and the ghosting enables the competition to leave the BenQ in the dust, unless you hate glossy displays and can't afford the new 144hz Asus VG278HE I can't think of any reason to buy the BenQ.

Last edited:
bought this monitor as it seemed to be the cheapest one with lightboost and has a nice stand. probably get it sometime next week :)

It has more accurate colours than the other <24" models after calibration with a proper colorimeter (spyder 4 elite or i1 display pro, 250$) but the grainy anti-glare coating which causes a screen door effect during fast motion while also reducing the vibrancy of clarity+white colours, and the ghosting enables the competition to leave the BenQ in the dust, unless you hate glossy displays and can't afford the new 144hz Asus VG278HE I can't think of any reason to buy the BenQ.

Is the Asus VG278HE as good as the BenQ in terms of input lag? Did you do a review on it yet?

Have you screenshot showing the problem with anti glare coating?

I don't find any screenshot.

You speak about vg278hE but I didn't find any review about this display. The only review are about vg278h and not hE. Have you make a review about vg278HE?

Last edited:
I have not reviewed the VG278HE. Vega did a write up and compared it with his Samsung 750D.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039087096&postcount=526

You can see the BenQ's anti-glare coating in this image here:

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2012/10/11/1/34_kristaleffect_big.jpg

It's very close to being just as bad as the excessive coating most IPS panels use. I've seen the Asus in store and can confirm it has a lighter matte coating, but it does not use a semi-glossy coating like the S24/27A850D & S24A350T from this image.

The VG278HE is the same as the VG278H (colours>>BenQ, low input lag, almost no ghosting), but it supports 144hz and up to 150hz with custom timings.

Last edited:
I have not reviewed the VG278HE. Vega did a write up and compared it with his Samsung 750D.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039087096&postcount=526

You can see the BenQ's anti-glare coating in this image here:

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2012/10/11/1/34_kristaleffect_big.jpg
When I speak about screenshot, I speak about screenhot of game, movie or windows.

This screenshot doesn't show anything in pratice.

It's very close to being just as bad as the excessive coating most IPS panels use. I've seen the Asus in store and can confirm it has a lighter matte coating, but it does not use a semi-glossy coating like the S24/27A850D & S24A350T from this image.
I know that you said in your review but other review like TFtcentral said that ghosting effect is very low and coating is not agressive.

I would like example to see in reality.

The VG278HE is the same as the VG278H (colours>>BenQ, low input lag, almost no ghosting), but it supports 144hz and up to 150hz with custom timings.
Same maybe but it's not sure.

I don't know if the colorimetry is the same like VG278H. I don't know if icc color profile used in vg278H (tftcentral) could be used in VG278HE.

No review in internet site about display is not a good thing. Generally, some problems are hidden if no site make a review.

TFT Central's reviewer does not play games, he only looks at PixerPixAn and writes about that in his review. I use PixerPixAn as well as play tons of games, and I captured the ghosting in my video review. TFT Central is also often wrong about anti-glare coatings and can't tell them apart so he does not classify them properly, instead he just plays it safe and says "x display has a lighter coating."

You can't capture the anti-glare effect without a macro photo. It's something you have to see for yourself, and the image I posted just proves how strong the anti-glare is. IT IS NOT LIGHT.

An ICC profile is really only good for the unit it was created for.

TFT Central's reviewer does not play games, he only looks at PixerPixAn and writes about that in his review. I use PixerPixAn as well as play tons of games, and I captured the ghosting in my video review.
What video? Can you tell me the video where I can see ghosting effect?

TFT Central is also often wrong about anti-glare coatings and can't tell them apart so he does not classify them properly, instead he just plays it safe and says "x display has a lighter coating."

You can't capture the anti-glare effect without a macro photo. It's something you have to see for yourself, and the image I posted just proves how strong the anti-glare is. IT IS NOT LIGHT.
I can't pay 350&#8364; to buy a display monitor just for testing.

If the capture is impossible, who believe? You or tftcentral?

I have asked on some forums and lots of people tell me that coating effect is low. But you, you telle the opposite. who believe without any real proof (your schreenshot is not a proof on intensity of problem)?

I would like to believe you but without any pratice proof, it's difficult.

A problem is that today with online store, it's impossible to watch display in function before buying it.

I had lots of CRT with anti glare and laptop with anti glare and I haven't notice the problems that you write. It's for it that I would like a proof in pratice of this "problem".

An ICC profile is really only good for the unit it was created for.
Yes and no.
Yes if it's not the same model. No if it's the same model because difference are very low.

Last edited:
I think you have already made up your mind, get the BenQ it's your money, and if you are upgrading from some ancient 20" TN the BenQ will be a big improvement.

You can believe whomever you want, obviously I'm going to say I am right (I am, the marco photo is the evidence). Under part 2 click on the "Ghosting Capture On Camera," it's hard to see (and hard to capture on camera) so you may have to rewatch that part a few times... and if the display you are viewing it on has plenty of ghosting issues then it will render the video useless.

There can be big variances between the same units, especially with IPS so an ICC profile is not always useful. Flatpanels HD also talks about the ghosting

http://flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1344844562

TFT Central does not play games, he only uses PixerPixAn, which is why those of us who actually play games mention the ghosting

I warned this guy about the BenQ's anti-glare coating too:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039187018&postcount=206

I wouldn't be too concerned about the AG coating, while its there, its no where close to the DELL's

I use a DELL u3011 right next to 3xBenQ's, and the AG on the DELL's is very apparent on the BenQ's its much less. And while using 3D vision I don't notice it at all.

I think you have already made up your mind, get the BenQ it's your money, and if you are upgrading from some ancient 20" TN the BenQ will be a big improvement.
I don't know the display that I will buy in the next future.

I have a vg236H not available today in store and I want to buy a new display for my second computer That I want to buy.

The problem of 27" is that the pitch is too high and it's a big problem for me.

The 24" are the best and in belgium or france, the only 24" 120hz avaliable in store is the benq.

You can believe whomever you want, obviously I'm going to say I am right
(I am, the marco photo is the evidence).
The photo shows that there is anti glare problem but only in theory. In pratice, this photo doesn't show anything.

Problem can be here but in pratice problem can be very low and very slighty visibl.

Under part 2 click on the "Ghosting Capture On Camera," it's hard to see (and hard to capture on camera) so you may have to rewatch that part a few times... and if the display you are viewing it on has plenty of ghosting issues then it will render the video useless.
Sorry but I don't find the video.

There can be big variances between the same units, especially with IPS so an ICC profile is not always useful. Flatpanels HD also talks about the ghosting
I never had IPS, only CRt and TN. With TN, no difference with my display.

Last edited:
I have a vg236H.

Then you should run away screaming from the BenQ since it has worse colours and more ghosting. It is very unlikely that you will not notice the BenQ's AG coming from the glossy VG236H.

Why aren't you considering the Samsung S23A700D? It has better colours than the BenQ (on par with the VG236H) and no ghosting, but 13ms of input lag. 23 vs 24" is negligible.

That Macro photo I keep posting is the only one that can show the effect of anti-glare, but you seem to want to ignore the evidence. It's illogical to say the coatings have no effect when they clearly do. Unless someone is kind enough to buy displays with all coatings and remove them then hold them up to a camera, seeing a display in person is the only way to tell.

BenQ ghosting link is in the table of contents under Part 2. I forgot to post it earlier.

Have you ever even used a 27" 1080p display? Do you own a TV? You need to get within 30cm to see the pixels on a 27" 1080p display. I just finished reviewing one and had it set up next to my 1440p displays, 1080p is fine.

...and the Asus VG278H/E will still be sharper than the BenQ because it has a lighter matte coating.

JeroneD bought both the Samsung S23A700D (glossy) & XL2420T and returned the BenQ because of the grainy matte coating.

Then you should run away screaming from the BenQ since it has worse colours and more ghosting. It is very unlikely that you will not notice the BenQ's AG coming from the glossy VG236H.
I have a laptop with anti glare coating and I don't notice problem. Same thing with CRT iiyama A901HT.
Maybe theses displays have not problem with anti glare coating.

I prefer no glossy because reflection with glossy display are annoying.

Not avalaible in france.

The problem is in france the choic of 120hz display is very low: it's benq2420t or vg278H or vg278HE.

I prefer 24" than 27" (pitch is too high and 2560*1440 with 120hz doesn't exist) but the only choice in 24" is today in france the benQ. It's why I would like to know with screenshots if the problem that you mention are a problem for me or not.

That Macro photo I keep posting is the only one that can show the effect of anti-glare, but you seem to want to ignore the evidence. It's illogical to say the coatings have no effect when they clearly do. Unless someone is kind enough to buy displays with all coatings and remove them then hold them up to a camera, seeing a display in person is the only way to tell.
The photo show the problem but in pratice, I don't see pixel like in the photo.
I just want to know if in pratice the problem is visible and I would like a proof.

Have you ever even used a 27" 1080p display? Do you own a TV? You need to get within 30cm to see the pixels on a 27" 1080p display. I just finished reviewing one and had it set up next to my 1440p displays, 1080p is fine.
During 10 years I worked and played with 19" CRt at 1600*1200.
I find that 1080p in a 24" pitch is too high. With 27" I think that the problem will be very important for me.

I like only small pitch but no big pitch.

I don't want to pay 500&#8364; and regret the buy. It's why I ask a pratice screenshot to know if the different problems will be a problem for me or not.

...and the Asus VG278H/E will still be sharper than the BenQ because it has a lighter matte coating.
Is it not a glossy display?

thanks.

i wish i read the specs of the adjustable stand before buying. this stand is so damn short compared to my 5 year old 24inch benq i just replaced. time to poop a old textbook under it.

and man is the out of box colors bad lol. time find a profile to dl. (i never calibrate my old benq monitor and this new one looks are crap compared to it)

on the edge about if i want to take a 15% restocking fee hit and return this monitor or keeping it.

reason for wanting to return
-fail adjustable stand just isnt tall enough like my old benq
-viewing angel is terrible (shouldve expect this from a tn panel)
-grainy screen
-the fact im an idiot and didnt realize ips 120hz is around the corner.

edit: after watching dexter on netflix i decided i cannot handle the proness of a TN panel. its really good for csgo but if you're watching videos dear lord is it terrible

Last edited:
some of the korean ips are capable of 120hz, but the HZ is only part of the equation in regard to any appreciable blur reduction during FoV movement in games. It is the very low response time combined with aggressive Response Time Compensation and the Hz that reduces blur and makes RTC artifacts disappear a lot faster on the better 120hz TN gaming monitors.
You can throw as many hz as you want at a screen. It could make the action feel smoother but blur reduction is a different aspect. A 7ms+ to 10ms+ response time ips is going to blur a lot worse. In my experience, 120hz very low response time TN with aggressive RTC and RTC error reduction results in an appreciable blur reduction in FoV movement which appears to me to be more like a soften blur that is more within the "shadow mask" so to speak of the scene objects. This still blurs out textures and depth via bumpmapping, (and any text/nameplates of players or npcs, etc) during FoV movement, but it is appreciably better than the out of bounds smearing of the entire scene that other monitors do. The blur also seems to "snap back to solid" quicker/sooner during FoV movement arcs during any slowing of movement.

I tried both TFT Centrals and HecHacker1's settings for the BENQ.

HecHacker1's look quite different but I like them, although the colors seem to be a bit undersaturated. Only thing is that altough brightness is on 0 the screen is till too bright for my eyes. What can I do about that?

By the way, are the other preset modes like FPS or RTS worth using?

Back