Got my Benq XL2420T - My opinions

any chance for comparison with the previous model 2410T? worth the upgrade?
actually i pretty happy even with the 2410t,i prefer to wait for 120Ηz IPS.

I love this monitor so far. I've had it for 4 days now. Share your settings with me please. I am not sure how to correctly setup the settings.

any chance for comparison with the previous model 2410T? worth the upgrade?
actually i pretty happy even with the 2410t,i prefer to wait for 120Ηz IPS.

TFT Central compares it to the 2410t. Looks like its better, but I don't know about $400 better :D

If you could get a good chunk for your monitor then I would say do it, I absolutely love mine.

I love this monitor so far. I've had it for 4 days now. Share your settings with me please. I am not sure how to correctly setup the settings.

Read the first couple posts? ;)

The monitor calibration settings (OSD) as well as the link to install the TFT Central Profile are included (the download is linked and instructions are below it at the link provided).

Makes a HUGE difference.

NCX, I trust your opinion on monitors. Can you give me/us a rundown on your thoughts about the Benq? Or a link to a review, if you've done one.

Thanks

Anyone here with a TX model? Try to put your compter in standby (monitor will also sleep) then power up and try to watch 3D. It is well possible that the 3D emitter won't work (you'll see the little green light and image in double though).

If that happens, unplug the monitor from the wall for hardresetting it.

Would be nice to see another SMTT input lag test. The TFTCentral one is rather damning, showing 13ms of lag even with instant mode switched on. That's 10ms more than the 2 year old Asus.

i dont think it should be so noticeable the ms difference,but in any case why they didn't keep the previous ms status from 2410t,it was about 5.6ms instant mode on.

@crawlgsx

Thanks m8 for the infos,i dont know if its worth the upgrade,its just one more Tn panel
i mean the color reproduction will be almost the same,the only thing that its new is the Black eQualizer

It's a very nice monitor. I'm considering getting a second to replace my old 17" samsung that pales in comparison to it.

I saw tftcentrals review of the calibration, and they did an ok job. With my Spyder 3 calibration, these were the best settings:

Brightness: 2
Contrast 50
Gamma 4
Color Temp Normal
Picture mode Standard.

With those settings, brightness is also exactly 120nits. Were it should be for most color matching work.

Also, the gamma curve is almost exactly 2.2 before calibration.

Now after calibration: The black range is expanded and a pinkish hue is removed. Also, I checked to use the EDID setting in the Catalyst drivers.

I can share the profile if anybody wants it. It's a standard 2.2 gamma, 120nits, 6500K.

My ips (a real ips not the budget ips variants) is better color and uniformity than my samsung 120hz TN.. but the color on the TN is "good" .. not uniform or accurate but saturated. There is shift on 27" 120hz TN being a considerable size , but not that noticeable unless I sit up straight in chair or get out of chair a little and then I notice how dark the top of the screen was. Again, can't really notice it in gaming. I have a ACD next to it and the ACD is a much better image - very uniform and better colors.. however its quality is also a lot better outside of that because of the 108.8ppi. Overall I'd say blows the TN out of the water on static images and text for a lot of reasons. I think it looks gorgeous.
.. I only use the 120hz for gaming where motion matters, and there it excels. It cuts the smear on FoV movement appreciably. An ips is much worse blurring at 10ms + response time and no strong overdrive/ResponseTimeCompensation than even a low response time 60hz TN.. let alone a low response time 120hz with strong RTC.. TN's are average to good otherwise outside of gaming .. I wouldn't call them gorgeous. Saturated yet non-uniform/shift color still looks decent on a glossy screen, and in games the color (and ppi for that matter) is "good" and enjoyable.
Personally I think the best deal right now would be to get a 27" korean ips for $400 or less shipped, which is similar to the apple, and then get a 120hz TN to put next to it just for gaming. That is, if it is in your budget of course. If primarily gaming and you had to choose I'd say 120hz all the way. The korean deal might not be around forever though idk, and some of the 120hz monitors might come down in price eventually at some point.
I'm not trying to crap on 120hz monitors at all, I was just curious of the insights from people who had this monitor and saw someone saying ips isn't that big of a difference etc. I disagree for the aforementioned reasons. Though I don't list wide viewing angles as one of those reasons - I do consider the shift while you are sitting in front of one directly affecting uniformity as one of them. Personally my monitors are on arms and I'm always in front of them so I have the best angle I can have pretty much. For movies I watch a VA panel samsung TV which has much better black levels/deatil-in-blacks.. I'd never watch them on either of my monitors. All about the tradeoffs. No monitor type is great at everything.

Last edited:
I received my XL2420TX day before yesterday and it's packed up and ready to shipped back.

Although it's a great looking monitor and the 3D is good, it has 2 major flaws.
A) the power button is glitchy, meaning that it works most of the time but on occasion it just decides it not to function and
B) as mentioned above, when the computer goes into standby, or if it is shut down, upon start up the 3D no longer functions. It requires you to pull the plug and reconnect for the 3D to function again. I called Benq about this issue, and after I spent some time on hold was told that this was a known issue without a current fix. Since this monitor was released in November 2011, and there is still no known solution, and no idea whether it will require a simple software update from NVidia or an internal hardware fix, so I am opting to go with something else.

I am exploring options though and wondered if anyone who is currently using 3D, has a recommendation whether it's better to go with a monitor that is standalone 3D capable, or to just go with a good monitor and purchase the 3D emitter separately for optimal quality. I read somewhere this can be a bit tricky with all the requirements.

I appreciate any feedback.

That sucks to hear. My 2420T Power button works 100% and standby is not an issue but probably because I don't use 3D. Too bad they didn't nail those few problems on the TX :(

Strongly advise against the XL2420TX. The NON-TX version is fine though. The model in the thread title doesn't have any issues (XL2420T).

The TX has an emitter issue, BENQ hasn't fixed it yet, no one knows if they will. Sad thing is they still sell it knowing this.

The XL2420T is great though.

Can someone help me understand the significance of these images and what they tell me about each monitor? Thanks.

The image shows the effect of matte coatings on pixels. The S24A350T and FP241W are semi-glossy like the Samsung PLS and Samsung/BenQ VA panels. The NB x201i also uses a lighter matte coating.

The BenQ uses medium AG, which looks just like aggressive AG on the rest of the display up close. It's the same coating found on many TN panels. IMO the BenQ is too grainy just like most Samsung TN's but I was not planning on keeping it any way.

Mine has 1 dead pixel in the center of the screen and I didn't see any noticeable bleeding with the bright default settings. The gamma was really washed out and there was a slight purple-ish tinge.

I have taken pictures of the 60hz and 120hz PixerPixAn performance, which I will upload later. It performs like a 5ms TN @60hz with the AMA off and with AMA ON there is some overshoot (bright shield or halo forming around moving objects). @ 120hz with AMA off there is light-medium streaking and light smearing. With AMA On there is some overshoot (bright shield or halo forming around moving objects) but I have only tried out 2 games.

I have started making my written review here
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/e...2420t-120hz-3d-monitor-review.html#post780110

My HDD died so I can't measure the colour presets yet since my basiCColour 5 program is licensed to my old HDD.

Last edited:
The image shows the effect of matte coatings on pixels. The S24A350T and FP241W are semi-glossy like the Samsung PLS and Samsung/BenQ VA panels. The NB x201i also uses a lighter matte coating.

The BenQ uses medium AG, which looks just like aggressive AG on the rest of the display up close. It's the same coating found on many TN panels. IMO the BenQ is too grainy just like most Samsung TN's but I was not planning on keeping it any way.

Mine has 1 dead pixel in the center of the screen and I didn't see any noticeable bleeding with the bright default settings. The gamma was really washed out and there was a slight purple-ish tinge.

I have taken pictures of the 60hz and 120hz PixerPixAn performance, which I will upload later. It performs like a 5ms TN @60hz with the AMA off and with AMA ON there is some overshoot (bright shield or halo forming around moving objects). @ 120hz with AMA off there is light-medium streaking and light smearing. With AMA On there is some overshoot (bright shield or halo forming around moving objects) but I have only tried out 2 games.

I have started making my written review here
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/e...2420t-120hz-3d-monitor-review.html#post780110

My HDD died so I can't measure the colour presets yet since my basiCColour 5 program is licensed to my old HDD.

Size aside, would you recommend it over the ASUS VG278H (assuming the latter has no oval bleed problem)?

I would say the AG coating isn't as bad as the DELL IPS, but i don't have them side by side to really know.

After now having put over a week on mine I couldn't be happier. I absolutely love this monitor.

I have 0 complaints. (maybe that I can't afford 2 more and another GTX 680)

If you are a monitor snob, this MIGHT not be the monitor for you I guess (if you listen to a few), but as a gamer I am blown away by the difference playing Battlefield 3. Very glad I decided to go with this and not go IPS.

Some say it's grainy but it is the least grainy monitor I have owned since a CRT, but maybe that is because I hate glossy?

I don't hate AG monitors, but i do love glossy. Im still happy with mine as well for BF3.

Im very unpicky about colors, as long as green doesn't look hot pink or something than im ok, i bought this particular monitor for the extra features and 120hz gaming.

It's definitely not the same AG as IPS, it just looks the same up close in the pixel pics. Coming from my semi-glossy 850D and glossy Asus the AG was a bit of a shock and I definitely see the slight loss of sharpness and grain with whites+light colours.

I have measured all of the presets, Standard is the best mode. It comes set to FPS 1 by defauly which had very washed out colours due to the gamma, low contrast and a strong purple tinge. Based on reviews this model seems to have very high gamma (over saturation, black crush) but mine had low gamma in every mode. Standard mode is excellent

NCX - your 120hz ghosting results need redoing. If you look top right it shows 60fps.

Good thing you caught that. I put in the wrong images, will fix it.

Last edited:
I just set three of these up tonight, using two AMD 6970 cards. I have two plugged in via dual link dvi and one via a Displayport cable, with a minidisplay port cable adapter attaching it to the minidisplay port on the 6970 (no full size display ports on these cards). I am able to select a resolution of 5760x1080 but I can on,y select a refresh rate of 60hz. When I have a single monitor plugged in I can select the refresh rate of 120hz. I have all monitors plugged into one of the 6970s because from what I understand all monitors must be plugged into a single card when using AMD Eyefinity (indeed, when I plugged one monitor into the 2nd 6970 it wasn't recognized)

In CCC, When I do select 120hz as the refresh rate it downgrades my eyefinity resolution from 5760x1080 to 2397x600 (bezel compensated).

Does anyone have any ideas why this is--I thout it might be possible that a minidisplayport cable cannot do 120hz but from what I have read that's not the case, and that it can.

Is this the correct forum t post this question in, or would it be better to post it in the AMD forum.

Thanks

Last edited:
I just set three of these up tonight, using two AMD 6970 cards. I have two plugged in via dual link dvi and one via a Displayport cable... I have all monitors plugged into one of the 6970s

IIRC like the 7970 the 6970's only have 1 DL-DVI Port, the other is SL-DVI, which doesn't support 120hz. You need to plug 1 in DL-DVI and 2 into DP.

Easy test take 1 monitor and plug it in 1 DVI, if it does 120hz then try the other DVI and see if it still has 120hz.

Just took the plunge on this monitor for gaming, while I love my Dell 30" IPS I've wanted to get the CRT responsiveness back for a while now and switching over 120hz was tempting, this monitor was bundled with Nvidia glasses on deal for £345, delivery on wednesday, I'll take some pics side by side when it arrives so you can see colour and viewing angles compared to IPS.

Hey guys,

I'm currently building a gaming pc, and am interested in doing 3d surround with three of the XL2420T's. I bought a GTX 690, and there are 3 DVI outputs and one mini-DP. All three DVI outputs are dual-link, however two of them are DVI-I, and the other is DVI-D. If I am wanting to run 3d surround, can I use all three of the DVI outputs, or will I have to use the two DVI-I's and the mini-DP? I guess I'm not certain if the DVI-D is capable of running 120hz on the XL2420T. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm currently building a gaming pc, and am interested in doing 3d surround with three of the XL2420T's. I bought a GTX 690, and there are 3 DVI outputs and one mini-DP. All three DVI outputs are dual-link, however two of them are DVI-I, and the other is DVI-D. If I am wanting to run 3d surround, can I use all three of the DVI outputs, or will I have to use the two DVI-I's and the mini-DP? I guess I'm not certain if the DVI-D is capable of running 120hz on the XL2420T. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Everything I can find says Dual Link DVI-D supports 120hz, and of course DVI-I does. So I believe the answer is yes all 3 on DVI with a GTX 690.

Can anyone confirm if they have the same thing happening to them or not? when I turn the computer on after Bios come and goes, windows Animation logo show up and right after it disappears monitors kinda looses signal for about 10 sec or so and i can hear the log in sound from windows then screen comes back on with the input information again....

Can anyone confirm if they have the same thing happening to them or not? when I turn the computer on after Bios come and goes, windows Animation logo show up and right after it disappears monitors kinda looses signal for about 10 sec or so and i can hear the log in sound from windows then screen comes back on with the input information again....

I do not have that problem. I see splash screen then windows loading screen. No black screen/signal loss.

I do not have that problem. I see splash screen then windows loading screen. No black screen/signal loss.
could it be the TX model? i've sent it back to amazon for replacement since it had problem with built in IR emitter as well, if the new one has the same issues I probably gonna just go with the T version since I almost never play games in 3D....

could it be the TX model? i've sent it back to amazon for replacement since it had problem with built in IR emitter as well, if the new one has the same issues I probably gonna just go with the T version since I almost never play games in 3D....

Hrmm that could be. I hadn't thought of that.

The TX is completely broke't as far as wireless emitter. I believe it works fine with the provided USB though.

The TX is completely broke't as far as wireless emitter. I believe it works fine with the provided USB though.
What I was not able to figure out yet is are ALL of them broken or it's only a batch.

I should get a new one tomorrow so I should be fixed. Unless it's from the exact same batch! I'll try to compare serial numbers...

Back