Google Stadia Livestream

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Google is livestreaming a reveal of its new Stadia gaming service. I was reading rumors of Destiny 2 coming to Stadia and Steam as a free-to-play title for the base game. If you want more content then you will have to pay for it. Pricing and more will be revealed during the stream. Starts in 30 minutes or so!

Some news can't wait for E3. Watch our first ever Stadia Connect June 6, 2019 at 9AM PDT/6PM CET as we reveal more Stadia news, including pricing, games, and launch details.

No console required. Stream games to phone, computer, TV, etc.

Larian Studios reveal. Baldur's Gate III.

Highest quality. 4K60 with 5.1 surround. 35 Mbps required. Scales to lower connection speeds with lower resolutions.

Do they allow offline playing? My main interest would be playing on a plane. I'm guessing no since I imagine all the rendering is done "in the cloud".

The irony of being physically "in the clouds" but not being able to play a game "in the cloud(s)" is not lost on me.

John has the best hair.

Stadia Pro is $9.99 a month. 4K, HDR, 60 FPS, 5.1 surround.

Stadia Founder's Edition is $129. Comes with Chromecast Ultra, controller, 3 month buddy pass. Controllers are $69. Secure your Stadia name with Collector's Edition. Comes with the complete Destiny experience.

Rockstar. Then they showed a sizzle reel of a ton of games. Chocobos. Looks like they signed everyone. Mortal Kombat?

Stadia arrives in November. Founder's Edition preorder is live.
https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition?srp=/magazine/stadia

Sidenote:

I returned a phone to Google Fi after getting approval from their customer service team. My Gmail account can no longer purchase Google Fi service. If you're getting the Founder's Edition and think you might want to return it because the service isn't for you; use a throwaway Google account to purchase it.

I can't buy YouTube TV on my main Gmail account after the Google Fi fiasco. Lesson learned.

Well that....Was a thing. I guess. Pity BG3 was known beforehand, that would have been amazing to be surprised about. Beyond that...Eeeh. Price seems okay, but I'm not sold.

You have to buy individual games on top of paying to stream them ($10/month).

IMO, the entire success of streaming (music and video) is based on paying to stream from the digital buffet. All you can consume and sample.

Imagine how many people would be streaming music if you had to buy each song you listened to individually: IMO nobody.

As is, I think this is DOA, and when Google pulls the plug, you lose the games you paid for.

Wait, you have to pay for the games in addition to the service? What happens when you stop paying for the service?

Makes no sense.

EDIT: Actually, it makes slightly more sense:

If you choose to cancel Stadia Pro, you can play the games you’ve already purchased on Stadia Base without a subscription.

So there's a free version where you can play the games at a lower resolution regardless. I guess that's cool...not enough to get me to pay for games on this service exclusively, though.

So there's a free version where you can play the games at a lower resolution regardless. I guess that's cool...not enough to get me to pay for games on this service exclusively, though.

Well, until Google eventually cancels this service.

At some point, someone will actually make a streaming game service, that works like Spotify and Netflix, where you just pay your monthly fee, and play whatever you want. IMO that is the streaming service the market will get behind.

Well, until Google eventually cancels this service.

At some point, someone will actually make a streaming game service, that works like Spotify and Netflix, where you just pay your monthly fee, and play whatever you want. IMO that is the streaming service the market will get behind.

Yeah, true - I am wondering how these games are going to be priced as well...if it's a full $60 then it's a non-starter IMO.

Then again, this service is not really directed at anyone who would probably be frequenting this site.

Yeah, not really feeling the subscription aspect of it. I've got a month and a half of Xbox Game Pass (which has a decent amount of games). I'm hoping the Xbox Game Pass and PC Xbox Game Pass are combined into one service. *That* would probably get me to bite for a year's subscription.

So, its not the netflix of video games. Not going to say I am out 100%, but yes I am pretty much out.
Netflix of video games, would have been a pre-order for me.

Then again, this service is not really directed at anyone who would probably be frequenting this site.

I am not sure who it is directed at. I would think casual gamers would be even more likely to expect a streaming game service to be the Netflix/Spotify of gaming.

Not that you can only stream the one or two games that you pay for.

I am not sure who it is directed at. I would think casual gamers would be even more likely to expect a streaming game service to be the Netflix/Spotify of gaming.

It seems to be directed at people who want to play higher-end games but don't want to pay for a console or a gaming PC.

I'm not sure how huge that market is, though, especially considering they are asking you to invest in the games individually rather than just a subscription fee.

The subscription has games included. Though anything not included in the "Free with sub" list (whatever that ends up being) will need to be paid for. I feel like other services have tried, and failed, to do this in the past. Its not exactly a consumer friendly way to handle things.

Ya having to buy games on top of the sub will likely sink this before its sailing.

The only thing that saves this is some actual cool exclusives. Companies like ID have hinted at stadia only features. I guess if the games are priced reasonably (not likely) and some of the better games feature streaming only quality features this might do ok.

Google really needs to start talking to indie developers and smaller studios about being featured as included in the sub. Perahps that is a big ask for the AAA studios... but I'm sure there are plenty of good indie studios that would be willing to sell cheap to google for the exposure. (even if it was 3 months of free streaming.... followed with purchase options or something).

John has the best hair.

Stadia Pro is $9.99 a month. 4K, HDR, 60 FPS, 5.1 surround.

Stadia Founder's Edition is $129. Comes with Chromecast Ultra, controller, 3 month buddy pass. Controllers are $69. Secure your Stadia name with Collector's Edition. Comes with the complete Destiny experience.

Controllers?? I don't do controllers! I'm also not at all interested in game streaming. If I can't install the whole game on my machine(s), I'm not interested.

The subscription has games included. Though anything not included in the "Free with sub" list (whatever that ends up being) will need to be paid for. I feel like other services have tried, and failed, to do this in the past. Its not exactly a consumer friendly way to handle things.

From the description, it's a not large pool of free games. It's an occasional free game. From what I read you start with 1 free game: Destiny 2.

I can't access the video at work.
What exactly do we have to buy to be up and running on an existing PC? I get that their controller and monthly fee seem to be essential. What else exactly?

Thrilled about BGIII announcement. Glad it's coming as a PC first title rather than watered down console garbage like Skyrim was.

I can't access the video at work.
What exactly do we have to buy to be up and running on an existing PC? I get that their controller and monthly fee seem to be essential. What else exactly?

On a PC, you play inside Chrome. Their controller is optional, you can use your own controller or M+KB. Even the monthly fee is an optional subscription, though there seems to be some confusion about the quality level you get to play at if your paying for the subscription versus just buying games outright.

Wait, you have to pay for the games in addition to the service? What happens when you stop paying for the service?

Makes no sense.

I wonder if they're going to support the free version by spamming ads in the middle of the gameplay (like they do with youtube, etc.) lol.

I tried out project stream and I still have my Geforce Now beta access, for what it is... Game streaming is convenient and definitely playable.

Very confused as who is this targeted for?

If your a PC Gamer who is interested in this chances are you have a gaming rig somewhere that can play these games (capable) already so why are you paying for the services?

If it is to stream then why not Moonlight, ParSec or even Steam to stream from your main PC to desired platform of choice? These methods can do the same and for free.

If you don't have a PC capable of running new games well... .... ...
I suppose.... ... ....

It could be targeted at console gamers who are interested in PC gaming perks but don't want to drop a grand for a gaming machine. If they can get the right exclusives and/or if their service works well - it could work.

Very confused as who is this targeted for?

If your a PC Gamer who is interested in this chances are you have a gaming rig somewhere that can play these games (capable) already so why are you paying for the services?

If it is to stream then why not Moonlight, ParSec or even Steam to stream from your main PC to desired platform of choice? These methods can do the same and for free.

If you don't have a PC capable of running new games well... .... ...
I suppose.... ... ....

It's definitely not meant for the PC enthusiast crowd. For the console crowd, it really is an interesting option. Hypothetically you can get better graphics and performance than a traditional console, for less money, without being restricted to a specific set of hardware that becomes obsolete and needs to be upgraded every few years. For console gamers, this is the future, like it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox and Playstation are the last of their kind.

Consider that if you already own a modern game controller and a chromecast ultra, you don't have to buy anything but a monthly subscription to try this out. If it actually works well (which I have my doubts about, but that's another discussion entirely), the low cost of entry could be enough for Google to get people hooked on their service.

Ya having to buy games on top of the sub will likely sink this before its sailing.

The only thing that saves this is some actual cool exclusives. Companies like ID have hinted at stadia only features. I guess if the games are priced reasonably (not likely) and some of the better games feature streaming only quality features this might do ok.

Google really needs to start talking to indie developers and smaller studios about being featured as included in the sub. Perahps that is a big ask for the AAA studios... but I'm sure there are plenty of good indie studios that would be willing to sell cheap to google for the exposure. (even if it was 3 months of free streaming.... followed with purchase options or something).

Yea because an FPS will be great with another 50ms of lag tacked on.

Yea because an FPS will be great with another 50ms of lag tacked on.

"however, when developers realise the potential of the experiences that could be built on Stadia those creative juices start flowing... the possibilities are endless. I've seen stuff that literally would be impossible on a PC or a console. Literally would be impossible. " Jack Buser, google games director.

ID has basically said Doom Eternal is going to have Eye candy on stadia that is impossible on home hardware. (not possible with 10k in gear... impossible) Expect to see ray tracing and all sorts of crazy insane high rez texture stuff. Google is pooling GPU resources... cards like 2080ti can't compete with the potential of having 30 or 40GB of textures loaded and being shared by 100 instances of a game, and ray tracing being done by a server using 100s of GPUs and also potentially pooling math results. Googles task for the next few years will be optimising their servers so they can spin up 100s of instances of high IQ games featuring tracing and all manner of crazy effects so they can use as few GPUs in the actual blades as possible. Exciting if they stick to it.

I am excited to see what developers do with ZERO hardware constraints. Forget development targets of PS4 and Xbone... with up converts for PC. The main advantage of cloud gaming is removing all those low ball targets. Your game doesn't have to run on a 4 year old laptop anymore so you can hit sales targets. Under stadia you target server GPU farm level render resources.. and the people with 4 year old laptops are still your market.

Developers are going to eat this up.... if you love FPS I feel for you. But no more with the FPS genre be where you look for the highest level eye candy games. Developers are going to start turning out some insane looking stream only games in the next few years, and sure they will be in genres where no one will really notice or care about a few ms of extra lag.

Google has been involved a lot of censorship lately, too much potential here for abuse. I'll bet you won't see any games like Postal. Also I'd guess that the graphics quality will fade in and out with latency and/or dropped packets and not just with your connection but the server. And what happens if you want to play the game again in 10-20 years? Personally I dig the classics. The free market is where I'll spend my duckettes. Maybe when the VR interwebs debuts at some point they'll have something here.

Google has been involved a lot of censorship lately, too much potential here for abuse. I'll bet you won't see any games like Postal. Also I'd guess that the graphics quality will fade in and out with latency and/or dropped packets and not just with your connection but the server. And what happens if you want to play the game again in 10-20 years? Personally I dig the classics. The free market is where I'll spend my duckettes. Maybe when the VR interwebs debuts at some point they'll have something here.

This is a false dilemma, because Google isn't asking people to choose between the way they play and purchase games now and their streaming service -- its not Stadia-or-nothing. They're only providing one more way to play games.

I have quite a few friends that come over and marvel at the kind of graphics that a multi-thousand-dollar gaming PC can produce, but they aren't so into games that they'd drop the same money as me, and so they tolerate a console. Stadia is perfect for them.

Bottom line, streaming services like this drop the barrier to entry for high end PC graphics without having to settle for watered down console graphics or invest a ton upfront.

Seems bitchen but running 100's of gpu's sucking down MW of juice for a few players doesn't seem economically feasible.

Assuming it is even actually possible to utilize all of that hardware at once to do that stuff it's going to be years until it there are any games doing it. They should be partnering with Epic to get it working with Unreal Engine. Or at least have some proof of concept examples.

At this point it sounds more like the marketing bs you hear about consoles before they launch that never ends up happening.

Back