Google Releases Android 5.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
Chock full of performance and stability upgrades and a host of new features, Google has released Android 5.1. The official Android blog has all the info:

Today we are rolling out Android 5.1 - an update to Lollipop that improves stability and performance and offers a few new features like support for multiple SIM cards, Device Protection and high definition (HD) voice on compatible phones. Whether you want to share your phone with a family member or better manage your mobile costs, Android Lollipop 5.1 now lets you use more than one SIM card on a device with multiple SIM slots.

I don't know what they did, but since the 5.0.x release back in in November, my Nexus 7 is pretty useless. Email notifications are not working, hangout messages are not coming in, the google account sync is breaks every other day.
Is there any way to roll back my Nexus 7 back to latest 4.x.x Android ?

I was initially pretty happy with 5.0.1 on my Nexus 5, but slowly over the past few months, I've been getting a lot of screen redraws and general sluggish performance. I hope that 5.1 really ups the ante and fixes all these nagging issues.

I don't know what they did, but since the 5.0.x release back in in November, my Nexus 7 is pretty useless. Email notifications are not working, hangout messages are not coming in, the google account sync is breaks every other day.

You should have the ability to reflash any of the Google stock 4.4.x images using a custom recovery.

Your N7 should be fully unlocked, so installing a custom recovery like TWRP shoudn't be an issue i'd imagine.

And my Droid Turbo still doesn't have 5.0, despite Verizon and Motorola both claiming they wanted to be one of the first with lollipop.

Should have known they wouldn't change...

Verizon pushed down their 5.0 update on my S5, it turned it into a usesless piece of shit. So much so I took the time to actually wipe and downgrade back to 4.4.4

Maybe it's because I'm turning 34, but the days of trying out a new ROM every week or two are just over for me. I want something that just works and works well. (nope to anything apple though)

Verizon pushed down their 5.0 update on my S5, it turned it into a usesless piece of shit. So much so I took the time to actually wipe and downgrade back to 4.4.4

Maybe it's because I'm turning 34, but the days of trying out a new ROM every week or two are just over for me. I want something that just works and works well. (nope to anything apple though)

My Nexus 5 has been pretty buggy with 5, glitchy over all, random restarts, and just not connecting to some things. With that said, it is no worse than my iPhone 6, which doesn't even see as much use, just this morning I had to fight with it just to get it to connect to my headunit, which I use it with every day, ended up having to restart, remove and re-add the HU just to get it to work.

If you arent using a custom rom with F2FS on Nexus7 then you have to excuses for sluggish performance =p.

Zarathustra[H];1041475108 said:
And my Droid Turbo still doesn't have 5.0, despite Verizon and Motorola both claiming they wanted to be one of the first with lollipop.

Should have known they wouldn't change...

My Verizon 2014 Moto X got it in December.

My Verizon 2014 Moto X got it in December.

I know. It is bugging the hell out of me that they updated the MotoX but still haven't done so for the droid turbo.

IMHO, we need to move to the computer model for OS releases and updates for all mobile platforms.

Locked boot loaders need to be banned, and updates should be pushed directly from the OS originator with complete disregard for the OEM handset manufacturer or the wireless carrier.

Wireless companies need to become dumb networks that don't know or care what handset I use, just like broadband ISP's.

my htc m8 has been very good with the last droid 5.0 update. i've had no issues so far, if anything it's been more stable. looking forward to this.

my htc m8 has been very good with the last droid 5.0 update. i've had no issues so far, if anything it's been more stable. looking forward to this.

I have been afraid to do so with all the hate surrounding the 5.0 update. Your post makes me want to try it out.

I had the same issue. 5.0.x completely borked my Nexus 7, it is now slow and laggy when you try and do just about anything. Several sites say you can reflash to the factory software, I have not gotten around to trying it.

Do you have a star icon on your notificaton bar? The star indicates that you have only priority or no interruptions set. It would explain why you wouldn't see notifications for emails and messages, but they should still be coming in. This wouldn't explain your syncing issues though.

I have been using lollipop on my verizon s5 now for at least a month with almost no issues. In fact it is been a much smoother experience than with the previous KitKat installed. NOTE: I did need to clear cache due to the update causing problems initially, but since then zero issues. No change in battery life either. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have enjoyed the lollipop experience so far.

Well, my HTC One M8 for Windows works great. Also, I have never had stability or performance issues with the Window Phone OS on any handset and it has a lot of baked in features.

Well, my HTC One M8 for Windows works great. Also, I have never had stability or performance issues with the Window Phone OS on any handset and it has a lot of baked in features.

I have limited use with Windows phones, other than some low end ones for Here Maps, but I have to agree, no issues at all, never a need to restart, snappy even on really low end HW etc. app selection sucks, but the phone and OS are great from what I have seen, and battery life W...T...F!? Either of my other phones, even not being used, just sitting unplugged, by the end of the day will be 50% or so, went for a drive with the windows phone, left it in the car, remembered a WEEK later, push the power button and it was still on! Looked like it was probably under 5% but good God, that's amazing!

I have a Nexus 5 and iPhone 6, even with lots of use on both android and iOS, I have been a android fan and at times even hated iOS, less so now as I have learned to deal with it, but still do not like it. With that said, if Windows phone had the app selection of the play store, I would dump both in a heartbeat for a windows phone.

I've heard that 5.1 isn't yet ready for Nexus 6, unfortunately. Its a pity, I've been waiting for this one as it is said to be necessary to enable VoLTE/HD Voice (on T-mobile and possibly between any other carrier so long as they have VoLTE/HD Voice codec compliant phones?) and Wi-Fi calling. Other features, such as dual SIM compatibility (honestly now, it would be nice to simply have more phones support this. It doesn't take THAT much more space, and is commonplace in phones developed for other nations), are helpful of course, as are the under-the-hood upgrades, but I'm most interested in HD Voice/VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling (which should also use the HD voice codec, if I recall). Its a pity that we on Nexus 6 have to wait even longer though.

Nah, you've just grown tired of the bullshit, as have I (I'll be 40 this year). I upgraded from an LG G2 to an LG G3 and it was nice for a while and then after about a month or so I noticed intermittent shitty performance across the board. The phone always seems to be busy doing something other than the action I need it to perform at that moment. I never feel like the phone is at the ready for ME. But those alerts keep coming in, and the updates.

Where's that Lumia 640 so I can try the Microsoft side of things again(last MS phone was a Palm Treo from Verizon)? I hear the Windows Phone work when you need them to, and that's all that matters to me. I can keep my G3 in my bag to take pictures, I'm fine with that. But before I throw the towel in on Android, I will take a day this weekend to try out alternatives to the built in apps on my G3, maybe that might help a little.

I appreciate what the ROM community does, but once you become a responsible family man/woman you lose that free time, it becomes really precious and it stops making sense to go down the custom ROM route, as tempting as it can be.

I'm considering grabbing a Lumia 635 just to play around with Windows Phone 8.1. I just searched my apps and they either exist in the Microsoft store, or have a highly rated equivalent. I'm a bit excited actually!

The fact they forgot to put in silent mode shows that 5.0 wasn't ready for primetime.

Supposedly 5.1 fixes the memory leak / RAM issues.

The fact they forgot to put in silent mode shows that 5.0 wasn't ready for primetime.

Supposedly 5.1 fixes the memory leak / RAM issues.

Yes they "forgot to put in silent mode" in the same way you don't know how to use your phone. Seriously. Notifications->None. Good lord, PEKAC.

My HTC One M8 has been working flawlessly since T-Mobile pushed the 5.0.1 update. Infact I'd say it's better than it was on Kitkat. Those having issues with Verizons updates, especially on Samsungs S5, their are multiple known issues affecting the Verizon update. Other carrier users have reported their updates were fine, and some on Verizon have reported that doing a factory reset after installing the Verizon update fixes all problems as well.

Oh I also forgot to mention, HTC also fixed the notification/silent mode problems stock 5.0 has. These are still present to my knowledge on Samsung and Motorola devices with the update.

still on 4.4.4

the team at slim hasn't released a stable version of lollipop yet, so i'm not trying it on my daily use phone

Nah, you've just grown tired of the bullshit, as have I (I'll be 40 this year). I upgraded from an LG G2 to an LG G3 and it was nice for a while and then after about a month or so I noticed intermittent shitty performance across the board. The phone always seems to be busy doing something other than the action I need it to perform at that moment. I never feel like the phone is at the ready for ME. But those alerts keep coming in, and the updates.

Where's that Lumia 640 so I can try the Microsoft side of things again(last MS phone was a Palm Treo from Verizon)? I hear the Windows Phone work when you need them to, and that's all that matters to me. I can keep my G3 in my bag to take pictures, I'm fine with that. But before I throw the towel in on Android, I will take a day this weekend to try out alternatives to the built in apps on my G3, maybe that might help a little.

I'd be happy to take that G3 off your hands, send me a PM when you're ready. Love the hell out of my G2 - its been flawless both on stock 4.4.4 as well as a Lollipop ROM I've been using a month, and I know the G3 only gets more powerful.

Unfortunately the sale will be final, I won't sell it back when you realize Winphone is a dead end :) Seriously, don't take my word for it, strike up a conversation with an employee in any cell store and ask them about windows phones. Casually ask about the return rate. What you'll hear is most people return them within 14 days.

I had similar issues, wiped my Nexus 7 and installed 4.4.2 :(

I'd be happy to take that G3 off your hands, send me a PM when you're ready. Love the hell out of my G2 - its been flawless both on stock 4.4.4 as well as a Lollipop ROM I've been using a month, and I know the G3 only gets more powerful.

Unfortunately the sale will be final, I won't sell it back when you realize Winphone is a dead end :) Seriously, don't take my word for it, strike up a conversation with an employee in any cell store and ask them about windows phones. Casually ask about the return rate. What you'll hear is most people return them within 14 days.

Did you all why they returned them? I am guessing it's because people don't like change.

Love the hell out of my G2 - its been flawless both on stock 4.4.4 as well as a Lollipop ROM I've been using a month, and I know the G3 only gets more powerful.

Not really, the G2 is the better phone, IMO. They kept the same SoC (essentially, minor diff between 800 and 801) and the G3 is noticeably slower in anything UI/GPU intensive because of the G3's huge bump in resolution. And besides resolution, the display on the G3 is pretty mediocre compared to anything else. It's much less accurate and bright than the G2's display as well. I've seen the two side by side and would take the G2 unless you absolutely need a removable battery and SD card.

Yes they "forgot to put in silent mode" in the same way you don't know how to use your phone. Seriously. Notifications->None. Good lord, PEKAC.

I haven't used it yet, but having to go into settings and disable notifications seems rather draconian and inconvenient compared to clicking volume one down from vibrate. That seems like a step backwards, IMHO.

I'm 25 and its already gotten old for me.

I just want stability and a fresh, clean feeling man!

I'm 25 and its already gotten old for me.

I just want stability and a fresh, clean feeling man!

I have a Nexus 4. Lollipop has been awesome so far since the bug fixes.

It helps that I have a Nexus, and these original ROMs were built for this phone, and updates are fast!

Did you all why they returned them? I am guessing it's because people don't like change.

Well a lot of them are apparently purchased by young people or parents for their kids because it's the cheapest option in the store, as they're often practically given away. However the biggest return reason is apparently "It doesn't have the apps my friends have".

The app gap is real and continues to get worse, as the few commercial apps that still existed keep pulling out. Case in point Bank of America just pulled out: http://www.neowin.net/news/bank-of-america-flips-the-kill-switch-on-its-windows-apps

My gear live smart watch stopped showing me the steps notification card since the update to 5.0.1. I have to manually bring up the app if find out the steps. Oh and some old wear apps stopped working, my advice is kitkat works great leave it alone.

Some hidden blessing in those carrier software updates that move at a snails pace. My att S5 just prompted me about 4.4.4 a couple months back.

I have a Nexus 4. Lollipop has been awesome so far since the bug fixes.

It helps that I have a Nexus, and these original ROMs were built for this phone, and updates are fast!

Only niggle I've had with my N4 is the 3 second voice silence when answering a call. Other than that it's been okay.

The real downside is the backwards step with the quicksettings. No proper wi-fi control? C'mon.

Well I d/l 5.1 the moment the factory images were up (love having a rooted nexus5)

5.1 added some nice shinies
The BT &WiFi choose from the quick launch is nice.
Yes silent mode is there now but equally it was sort of there... You now can now decide whether silent or priority
There is a nice scheduled priority option (days and time) so if you always need it silient 9-3 every Tuesday bam

The mem leak is fixed (it was usually the settings process that would eat the ram)

Back