Google Pixel 3

Well, I just got back from the Google recommended uBreakiFix store near me. They kept my Pixel 3 for the better part of 6 hours and couldn't figure out how to fix it. They replaced the camera module and that didn't fix the problem. They believe it has something to do with motherboard and suggested I contact Google again and press them for a replacement device even though it is out of warranty.

Total cost to me for a breakdown of my device and to determine there are no hardware issues: $0.00

Since then, I took the device home and flashed the OG firmware from Sept. 2018 on it (Android 9) and it didn't make a difference. Same camera problems.

Contacted Google...they pretty much told me I'm SOL unless I want to send it in for diagnostics at which point they would advise me what the cost would be. Since uBreakiFix told me it's a likely motherboard issue, I'm not going to do that. I ended up just trading it in toward a Pixel 3a. Obviously a downgrade, but at least I'll get a working camera and a full year of warranty now.

Unless you rely on wireless charging or water resistance, I doubt you'll miss much, even in performance, going to the 3a. Plus you gain a headphone jack if you care about that too. My son'd 3a XL has been great so far at least.

Good to know I wasn't the only one with the USB c cable issues. I can spend 5 mins trying to stay connected. Just blowing on it would loose charging lol. I am going to be getting a new phone soon since the screen decided to crack randomly. Do other phones have this issue with USB c? My only experience with USB phones has only been Google's.

Hey guys, I found this thread because I searched the forum for something related to USB-C port problems. I've never owned a Google phone, but since it looks like a few people are asking this question about other phones, I'll chime in. I have a Sony XZ1 Compact, and I've had it for like 2 years now, I think. Maybe 3? I can report that I sort of have this problem. The original USB-C cable that came with the phone--it even has the Sony logo on it--still works pretty well after all this time. It's still snug to the point where I can pull on the cable, and the phone just slides on my desk without breaking the connection. However, third-party cables that I've bought seem to have gotten noticeably more loose. Right now I can still get it to work but it disconnects quite easily, like just nudging the cable can be enough. But I don't have a clear memory of how it was when I first got the third-party cable, but I think it was more snug in the beginning.

So I'm not sure if 1.) it's the cable that somehow got worn down, or 2.) if the the port within the phone got worn down. Because I suppose it's possible that the Sony cable that I have was super snug in the beginning and now it's just snug but not as firm, whereas the third-party cable(s) were snug initially but are now loose. OR it could be that the third-party cables became more loose whereas the Sony one has remained the same. I don't remember the specifics well enough to say which one of those cases is the right one. But I actually suspect that it's case #2. I'm guessing that my Sony cable was even more firmly wedged in the port when the phone was new.

In any case, does anyone have any recommendation for a third-party USB-C cable that fits in the port very firmly? The last one I bought from Anker was basically unusable, even worse than the previous one I have, and I didn't bother returning it.

Hey guys, I found this thread because I searched the forum for something related to USB-C port problems. I've never owned a Google phone, but since it looks like a few people are asking this question about other phones, I'll chime in. I have a Sony XZ1 Compact, and I've had it for like 2 years now, I think. Maybe 3? I can report that I sort of have this problem. The original USB-C cable that came with the phone--it even has the Sony logo on it--still works pretty well after all this time. It's still snug to the point where I can pull on the cable, and the phone just slides on my desk without breaking the connection. However, third-party cables that I've bought seem to have gotten noticeably more loose. Right now I can still get it to work but it disconnects quite easily, like just nudging the cable can be enough. But I don't have a clear memory of how it was when I first got the third-party cable, but I think it was more snug in the beginning.

So I'm not sure if 1.) it's the cable that somehow got worn down, or 2.) if the the port within the phone got worn down. Because I suppose it's possible that the Sony cable that I have was super snug in the beginning and now it's just snug but not as firm, whereas the third-party cable(s) were snug initially but are now loose. OR it could be that the third-party cables became more loose whereas the Sony one has remained the same. I don't remember the specifics well enough to say which one of those cases is the right one. But I actually suspect that it's case #2. I'm guessing that my Sony cable was even more firmly wedged in the port when the phone was new.

In any case, does anyone have any recommendation for a third-party USB-C cable that fits in the port very firmly? The last one I bought from Anker was basically unusable, even worse than the previous one I have, and I didn't bother returning it.
I tried several from Amazon and they all had the same issue. I just got a new phone after a while. My pixel 2 replacement that I got under warranty also started having the issues a month after I got it. I had a pixel 3a xl for over 6 months and haven't had any issues yet.

I tried several from Amazon and they all had the same issue. I just got a new phone after a while. My pixel 2 replacement that I got under warranty also started having the issues a month after I got it. I had a pixel 3a xl for over 6 months and haven't had any issues yet.

Guys, I've found the solution. At least for my phone, the solution is to buy Sony-branded USB-C cables, which can be found on Ebay. Like you, I've tried a few 3rd party cables from Amazon, including from Anker--which is supposedly a more well-known (and better quality?) brand--and they are all useless. Initially, the ones I got from Anker worked quite well, but (as I wrote in my prior post) over time the connection become much more loose, so that now I have to position my phone and the cable very carefully to get it to charge, and any nudges or bumps will break the connection. I just received a Sony-branded cable from an Ebay seller somewhere in China (of course), and it works great! Probably still a less firm connection than when the phone was new, but still, it feels like it will be a while before it becomes a real problem again.

So I think the lesson is to ignore the swarm of third-party manufacturers of cables and stick to accessories made by the original manufacturer. Although, I haven't tried any cables from the other Android phone makers--can only vouch for Sony.

Guys, I've found the solution. At least for my phone, the solution is to buy Sony-branded USB-C cables, which can be found on Ebay. Like you, I've tried a few 3rd party cables from Amazon, including from Anker--which is supposedly a more well-known (and better quality?) brand--and they are all useless. Initially, the ones I got from Anker worked quite well, but (as I wrote in my prior post) over time the connection become much more loose, so that now I have to position my phone and the cable very carefully to get it to charge, and any nudges or bumps will break the connection. I just received a Sony-branded cable from an Ebay seller somewhere in China (of course), and it works great! Probably still a less firm connection than when the phone was new, but still, it feels like it will be a while before it becomes a real problem again.

So I think the lesson is to ignore the swarm of third-party manufacturers of cables and stick to accessories made by the original manufacturer. Although, I haven't tried any cables from the other Android phone makers--can only vouch for Sony.
I been using the cable for awhile now that came with my pixel 3xl and been working perfectly. I'll check the Sony one out if the issues arises again.

I had a similar problem that I solved by taking a super fine needle and digging out a ton of lint and stuff inside the usb-c port on my Pixel 2. Then I take a wooden toothpick and basically scrub the contacts inside the port. It's not perfect all the time, but it's been a good enough fix to allow my phone to get "rapid charging" with multiple cables.

I have to clean it out once every few months.

Does the Pixel not do wireless charging?

My ancient Nexus 6 had never had a cable plugged into it.

Does the Pixel not do wireless charging?

My ancient Nexus 6 had never had a cable plugged into it.

The Pixel 3 was the first Pixel model to support wireless charging. So the answer is yes, but there was a gap where Google's post-Nexus phones didn't do wireless charging (the 3a and 4a still don't, but that's not surprising given the cost).

I'm on my 2nd pixel 3 since my 1st one started acting weird at the 11 month mark. Luckily, I was able to get another one through the factory warranty and so far it's working beautifully. The 1st unit I had started showing that it was charging when the USB-C cable was unplugged and would not charge when the cable was plugged in. Wireless charging acted completely random as well. It happened right after the Aug or Sept monthly update. Cleaning out the port didn't help and wireless charging was affected because the phone sometimes though it was already charging even no cable was plugged in. Super weird problem and I found very few people online that had it as well. uBreakiFix took a quick look and said removing and replacing the dock connector daughterboard might have fixed it but since I was within my 1 year warranty, I decided to take advantage of the advanced replacement and get a whole new unit.
The pixel 3 usb-c port daughterboard is separate from the motherboard so I hear that replacing it is relatively easy.

I had a similar problem that I solved by taking a super fine needle and digging out a ton of lint and stuff inside the usb-c port on my Pixel 2. Then I take a wooden toothpick and basically scrub the contacts inside the port. It's not perfect all the time, but it's been a good enough fix to allow my phone to get "rapid charging" with multiple cables.

I have to clean it out once every few months.

What needle is this? Where did you find it? Is it a regular needle used for sewing?

My wife's 3 has had a wird problem recently: the power button gets stuck, causing the phone to boot loop. At first, i couldn't figure it out, thinking it was some kind of software issue. Ubreak I Fix took a look and diagnosed for free. It's recurred several times since, but some mashing of the button seems to fix it.
I think I'm going to replace it with the OnePlus 8T next month if the camera is good.

Back