Google Pixel 3

Just for fun I put one of my slim cases from my Pixel 2 XL on my 3 XL and you know what, it fits perfectly snug and tight, fits just right. Only problem is obviously the camera is in a different spot and the power button is slightly different spot, so you can't really use the case ,but as far as fit, it's right on, not loose or too tight.

This proves the two phones are the exact same overall footprint but the 3XL definitely has a noticeably larger screen, no question it's a wider screen and obviously taller with the notch area, and wider display
I really like the Speck Presidio Grip case I've had on my 2XL. Ordered the 3XL version directly from Speck, today.

Tip: if you put a case in the basket, fill out all your info, but leave the site without finalizing the purchase, Speck sends an email with a 15% discount code you can use towards the order. ;)

EDIT: Might help if I added the link. :whistle:

http://www.speckproducts.com/google...dwvar_GPX3L-PR-GRIP_color=Black/Black#start=1

Last edited:
Posting from my Pixel 3 XL.
Initial thoughts:
  • Haptic feedback is FAR better than the og Pixel. Night and day.
  • The notch disappears after about a minute of using it.
  • It's actually a little thicker than the og Pixel.
  • The glass back is really nice to the touch, but it went in a case as soon as I got the thing set up.
  • Screen quality is crazy good.
  • Wireless charging works, and works with a five year old Qi knockoff charger I got for my Nexus 5.
  • Performance is fantastic. Migration was seamless, though it took a long time for apps to download and install.

Last edited:
Initial thoughts:
  • The glass back is really nice to the touch, but it went in a case as soon as I got the thing set up.
  • Wireless charging works, and works with a five year old Qi knockoff charger I got for my Nexus 5.
  • Performance is fantastic. Migration was seamless, though it took a long time for apps to download and install.
Does it charge wirelessly with a case on it?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Initial thoughts:

When posting on [H], if you choose a "corrected" word in the suggestion bar while typing does it place the new word correctly or ignore/butcher the word?

Do yourself a favor, pick up a fast wireless charger off Amazon for $15 or so. I prefer Choetech or Anker. It's a night and day difference from the older Qi chargers.

After a day I can say that gesture navigation sucks balls. It was really difficult to put that third software button on the bottom?

Do yourself a favor, pick up a fast wireless charger off Amazon for $15 or so. I prefer Choetech or Anker. It's a night and day difference from the older Qi chargers.
The old charger is providing fast charging, so, yay! I'm using the og Pixel adapter with the USB a to c adapter.

When posting on [H], if you choose a "corrected" word in the suggestion bar while typing does it place the new word correctly or ignore/butcher the word?
Did this on my old phone. See the forum suggestions/feedback area for my thread to Kyle last night, lol. It seems better, does wonky things less often for sure.

I don't think you can put back the 3 software buttons. Google wants you to move on.

I initially owned the Pixel XL, and then the Pixel 2 and 2XL but the 2XL was too big so I kept the Pixel 2.

Then I sold that and got a used iPhone X. The new Pixel 3 has me tempted to move back to Android although I like iOS as well.

After a day I can say that gesture navigation sucks balls. It was really difficult to put that third software button on the bottom?
I prefer the buttons, too, but have a feeling that gestures are the future. (n)

I'm slowly getting used to gestures on my 3XL. Still not sold, though. When I go back to my 2XL, the buttons are so much easier and quicker, IMO.

My bad. They had a toggle on my og Pixel. It's not on the 3s. Sorry about that!
Until you posted the above I was thinking that you may have had in mind what I posted earlier which which we now know did not pan out. So much for definitive answers...

I spoke to two Google CSR's yesterday and went as far as saying I would like a definitive answer from someone in addition to what information may be in their CSR reference book. After being placed on hold the CSR said he obtained a definitive answer that the on screen navigation icons will be an available option.

My bad. They had a toggle on my og Pixel. It's not on the 3s. Sorry about that!
May you die the agonizing death of explosive projectile diarrhea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :punch::punch::punch:

Not really, but... you made me very happy, then very sad. :LOL:

Ok...the gesture app drawer is annoying me to the point where it might go back. My natural app drawer swipe isn't enough to bring up the whole app drawer, but instead I get the recent apps. And it isn't even like it just brings up the recent apps, it's this jarring combination of the tactile feedback and the screen slamming to a halt and shifting back to where Google thinks it should be implying that I haven't swiped far enough to open the app drawer, but too far to "just" see the recent items.

Now why in the world can't they just let you use the old buttons and ditch the gesture if I so desire?

Last edited:
Ok...the gesture app drawer is annoying me to the point where it might go back. My natural app drawer swipe isn't enough to bring up the whole app drawer, but instead I get the recent apps. And it isn't even like it just brings up the recent apps, it's this jarring combination of the tactile feedback and the screen slamming to a halt and shifting back to where Google thinks it should be implying that I haven't swiped far enough to open the app drawer, but too far to "just" see the recent items.

Now why in the world can't they just let you use the old buttons and ditch the gesture if I so desire?
I'm having just the opposite problem. My upswipe gesture keeps displaying the app drawer when I want the app switcher (recent apps). I'm more than irritated by this and hope enough 3/3XL owners share our frustration to convince Google to offer an option to restore the three nav buttons in a soon-to-be-released Android patch. I think I'll return mine and wait to see if my hopes are satisfied in the coming weeks or months.

Another thing, my 3XL still runs with the September security patch. My 2XL has had the October patch since 10/6.

after I read the ram would not be getting an upgrade, I just bought the Pixel 2 instead. I've been enjoying it for the last three months, and hope to get three years out of it (like my Galaxy S4).

845 is a 20% performance bump over 835.

yeah i would say that is accurate just upgraded to a pixel 3 from Pixel 2 xl

Had a hands on with it in Verizon store and I was experiencing the same problem as you described, i.e. not swiping high enough and having to start all over again.

This is the Home screen on my Moto G6.
No notch and ample space for many notification and status icons.
App drawer icon dead center on the dock.
Entire array of Navigation buttons that respond immediately and easily with a light tap.
I see no justification for Google to not offer an option for navigation buttons.

Screenshot (Oct 19, 2018 3_39_48 PM).png

Last edited:
Okay, everybody's nuts, the notch is great.
It puts the notifications up on either side and makes a bar the same height any time you're on a framed screen, it's perfect. It only seems odd on home screen and other places where the back drop extends up because there's no frame, which to me makes sense.
Whatevs, so far this phone is the balls. OtterBox is still delayed, some time next week now. So I went to Best Buy and picked up a blue Google case. They were sold out of phones, sold out of pixel 3 cases, and had one each of the two xl cases and one daydream. So apparently the launch went ok.

So far for issues....
Wasn't paying attention and nearly jammed the shit out of the hole in the top of the phone to eject the sim slot. Oops. Didn't appear to do any damage lol.
Importing settings from og pixel broke the voice match part of setup since the model was imported but phone wanted to run the voice training, resulting in indefinite please wait. Luckily found someone else that figured it out just had to force close it and relaunch (reboot didn't help).

Gesture pill is not ideal.

I haven't figured out the intricacies of controlling between suggested apps and the whole app drawer. I'm okay with two buttons, one of my older htcs thought back and home were all you needed and it only took a few days to get used to. The gestures obviously it didn't have though.

I'm predicting like many others I'm sure that the button format will not change. It seems like the stance is firm, perhaps has something to do with the accessibility button taking over that the space. However I would imagine someone will find a way to add it.

I went ahead and filed a return request with Google. Got the prepaid FedEx label a few minutes later. Yes, gesture navigation is my only real complaint. Barring a massive customer revolt, I think gestures are here to stay. That aside, the 3XL is only a minor/moderate upgrade from my 2XL from a performance angle. The 3XL's screen is clearly superior, of course. Once they receive my return, Google will send a new 2XL to swap with my current one that's been plagued with random restarts, so all will be well. :)

Initial thoughts:

I did the cable thing between the two phones for app transfer and it was super fast.

Took no time at all to get used to the gestures, however I find that I rarely use the right swipe to go back rather just up to bring up the history browser or whatever it's called like pushing the button twice before.

Last night I ran four hours straight usage screen on the whole time and dropped a little over 30% so that's pretty nice. Monday will be the first typical usage test though.

Also, this guy and his off-road wheelchair have too much free time.
Pixel 3 XL Durability Test

I got a Note 9 for basically free, thinking about trying to trade it and maybe some cash for a P3 or XL. Doesn't help that I have to buy 2 iPhone Xs this holiday for my wife and I, too.

https://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Pixel-3-and-3-XL-Review_id4570
Better battery life on the Pixel 3 vs the xl. Also, LG made the Pixel 3 screen, Samsung made the xl screen. Some reviews I have seen say the camera is great but other flagships have caught up in terms of picture quality.
Photos from the Pixel cameras actually look over processed compared to many other flagships now. The post-processing on the photos have the contrast cranked up to look more appealing to the eye, but as a result very often losses detail or even completely crushes shadows.

Thankfully, with the Pixel 3 camera you can finally shoot in RAW to preserve those details and then you can manually edit the photos in post.

I’ll probably be labeled a fanboy for not following the “Pixel is the best smartphone camera” hyperbole this year. But surprisingly, I’m a huge fan of the iPhone XS camera. It almost perfectly nails every shot and preserves detail nearly everywhere. I’d even say that SmartHDR may be a smidge better than HDR+ Enhanced.

Last edited:
Photos from the Pixel cameras actually look over processed compared to many other flagships now. The post-processing on the photos have the contrast cranked up to look more appealing to the eye, but as a result very often losses detail or even completely crushes shadows.

Thankfully, with the Pixel 3 camera you can finally shoot in RAW to preserve those details and then you can manually edit the photos in post.

I’ll probably be labeled a fanboy for not following the “Pixel is the best smartphone camera” hyperbole this year. But surprisingly, I’m a huge fan of the iPhone XS camera. It almost perfectly nails every shot and preserves detail nearly everywhere. I’d even say that SmartHDR may be a smidge better than HDR+ Enhanced.
The Apple cameras have WAY too much smoothing, imho.

The Apple cameras have WAY too much smoothing, imho.
For the front facing camera I’d agree that it’s a bit much, and that is where the Pixel 3 will shine over the iPhone XS. But for regular photos off the rear camera the sharpness is almost identical.

Swift Black theme on the 3 XL is a God send

Now in all the System and Google apps, you can't even tell there's a notch. Everything has a beautiful silky black look, and you just see the time in upper left and network info in upper right, and no idea there's even a notch in the middle as everything is black which totally hides the notch completely, but it's nice to see that info in the upper corners, makes the screen look like it goes all the way to the edge.

Look it up in the Play Store "Swift Black Substratum Theme"

Back