Google Pixel 3

FYI, just checked and my Pixel 3 XL (Black) has shipped. Expected delivery Oct 17-19. Sooner than I hoped! huzzah!

Wife's Pixel 3 (Not Pink) has not.

FWIW, I ordered the XL first, right as the store went live, and ordered my wife's a few minutes later.

FYI, just checked and my Pixel 3 XL (Black) has shipped. Expected delivery Oct 17-19. Sooner than I hoped! huzzah!

Wife's Pixel 3 (Not Pink) has not.

FWIW, I ordered the XL first, right as the store went live, and ordered my wife's a few minutes later.

Either Google improved their supply chain or there is less interest in the Pixel 3 compared to the Pixel 2 last year as the delivery dates even for orders placed today are only a few days after release.

It was the same story with Apple's release of the iPhone XS this year which leads me to believe that many users are sticking with their Pixel 2's and iPhone X's from last year. Not surprising as this year both Google and Apple seemed to launch phones that were relatively less exciting.

That's my point. So you don't like character x, that's fine. Don't buy it. But if you get paid (or try to) review shit for a living, that's an immediate NOPE when they take one item then shit all over the product, be it phone, car, whatever.

To try to stay on subject though, I'm anticipating ridiculous large in person for the notch. The idea that the notifications are in an otherwise unused space is a plus to me. The fact that the notch is taller than just the notification height, yeah thats a bummer. But when you're talking about a $1000 purchase you're paying for an overall product design inside and out. I love my original Pixel. I hate that it is USB-C. Sure its the now thing and charges faster, but its annoying as fuck never being able to borrow a charger when you're out. Granted, I plan around it so no big deal, but its still one of the things I dislike the most and knew about it when I bought it. But I wasn't buying a USB socket, I was buying the phone, just like I'm not buying the notch. It's just a whole lot of over reaction lately from review outlets which just makes them less credible, like you said being more of trolls than reviewers. Probably brought it on ourselves with youtube making every douchebag think their opinion in important.
And again, just like you said, it's "team mentality". Shit needs to go away.

I was not surprised by the price increase on the XL, but I was surprised by the smaller increase on the regular. To me, I looked at it like the Pixel 3 is an updated Pixel XL based on size (internal advancements aside), so when I see that I expect it to be about the price of the old XL (so $100 more or even higher) or the same and adjusted for incremental increases over a year or two like most of the flagships sadly do. I much rather would have had both go up $100 than $50 and $150 for me obviously but also to keep things looking linear. The way they did it doesn't make any sense from a customer position.

It was the same story with Apple's release of the iPhone XS this year which leads me to believe that many users are sticking with their Pixel 2's and iPhone X's from last year. Not surprising as this year both Google and Apple seemed to launch phones that were relatively less exciting.

Its going to be harder and harder to justify new phones every year between their longevity and their cost. I used to be a yearly replacement for the longest time, then ~4 years ago I got an HTC One which was the first really want-for-nothing phone at the time, hung onto it like 2+ years; replaced with the Pixel to go to Fi, and really had a hard time justifying replacing it in my head even at two years, but wanted something shiny and have had little age-signs from the Pixel from the last few updates etc. Unless this thing is a turd, I can't imagine replacing it in 2 years or less if the improvements are even minor, let alone how people talk about the upgrade from og to 2 was.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
So the Pixel 3 XL has a Samsung panel. I'm curious about the regular Pixel 3's panel now. Had assumed both would be LG since the iPhone's are using those.

Just got the shipping notice for my 3XL. It'll be here on Thursday. That was quick. Thought they weren't shipping until next week.

Its going to be harder and harder to justify new phones every year between their longevity and their cost. I used to be a yearly replacement for the longest time, then ~4 years ago I got an HTC One which was the first really want-for-nothing phone at the time, hung onto it like 2+ years; replaced with the Pixel to go to Fi, and really had a hard time justifying replacing it in my head even at two years, but wanted something shiny and have had little age-signs from the Pixel from the last few updates etc. Unless this thing is a turd, I can't imagine replacing it in 2 years or less if the improvements are even minor, let alone how people talk about the upgrade from og to 2 was.

I would've stuck with my iPhone X, but I've always been a iPhone "Plus" user so when I got to try out the XS Max I immediately wanted to go back to the larger screen. Unless Apple does something big with next year's iPhone (doubtful) or Google with the Pixel 4 (also doubtful), I'll likely be sticking with my XS Max for 2 years at least. Since phones have basically hit and surpassed the $1000 mark, I think it's time I begin upgrading every 24 months instead of 12.

Wow the Pixel 3 is getting bagged and dogged on left and right as if it's the worst smartphone ever made.

Oh well, maybe next year Google.

But I still wouldn't go iPhone, just not an iOS fan whatsoever. And Samsung Touchwiz not my thing either.

So if I hate the iPhone, don't like Galaxy phones and the Pixel 3 is sub par, what's the other options?

I wish we had a third option, a Windows Surface phone or something.

Wow the Pixel 3 is getting bagged and dogged on left and right as if it's the worst smartphone ever made.

But I still wouldn't go iPhone, just not an iOS fan whatsoever. And Samsung Touchwiz not my thing either.

So if I hate the iPhone, don't like Galaxy phones and the Pixel 3 is sub par, what's the other options?

Most of the reviews I've read and watched have been overall positive...only a few select reviews have strongly criticized the phone...

Uh keep what you got if it isn't broken?

Yes it could have been designed better for sure. Try to go the more minimal notch like Essential or something, and no bottom chin, do the stereo speakers like the HTC 10, or and the iPhone XS, and Note 9's, do, etc... to allow a more full screen design. Yes give us 6GB RAM.

Mainly in tech forums I keep reading so much hate for the Pixel 3 XL;
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pixel-3-pixel-3-xl.2106788/page-68#post-26666374

Oh well, I still have my White Pixel 3 XL on order, and not changing. Yes the notch is ugly, and more RAM would have been nice, but I still value stock Android, updated directly and quickly from Google, and the smooth fluid vanilla UI, and the amazing camera, and A+ rated display, and IP68 rating, and wireless charging. Maybe I'm a sucker, but that's my choice.

How would I have like to see Google design the Pixel 3 XL? Well on a realistic manner not some unrealistic futuristic design but a realistic version could have been a cross between like the LG V30 shape and size with the minimal bezels but give it the Essential notch and stretch the screen out on the top and bottom. And then do the stereo speakers like on the Note 9 or iPhone so they don't have to be front-facing, and allow for full display with almost no bezels at like 6.2" or so. And give it 6GB RAM. And a bigger 4,000MaH battery.

At the end of the day, for October 2018, I still think FOR ME, the Pixel 3 XL is the best phone out.

- Stock vanilla Android is my bread and butter OS. I go back to owning the Nexus-One when it was new, then waiting in line for the Nexus-S at launch. I just have a thing for stock Android, all other versions of Android just irritate me, or frustrate me.
- Updates first and quickly
- A+ rated display
- Best camera
- Wireless charging now
- IP68 rating is nice
- Phone can easily be rooted, mainly for the best ad blocking and Substratum themes

No other phone right now interests me. The Note 9 or S9+ ? Not at all, no way, Lagwiz still exists no matter what people say. The LG V40, yeah that's cool, but not a fan of the LG skin, and they suck at updates. iPhone XS Max looks super cool, a very beautifully built device, really liked it a lot, but man I hate iOS, and on the XS Max the OS looks out of place, dated like something from a decade ago. OnePlus 6T, yeah will be a great phone, but they always skimp somehow.

Is the Pixel 3 XL the best phone of 2018 ? NO, not at all. But for me a stock Android nerd, it's really the only option.

Last edited:

Home Screen Default.png
The home screen will display the Home button but only the Home button.

Settings.png
When you leave the home screen and go to another region in your phone, or go into an app, the on screen Back button will make its appearance.

The reason why the Back button doesn't appear on the home screen is because there is nowhere to go back to.

Recent Apps can only be accessed via a gesture.
View 2:35 - 4:55

I have been using the new navigation layout on my Pixel 2XL since the latest update. There is some adjustment time but after the adjustment, I prefer it over the old 3 button system. Moving between apps is much more fluid and requires moving fingers around the screen much less. The best gesture is being able to swipe right on the bottom bar and being taken immediately to your last app. Saves so much time vs. clicking the box button, waiting for the animation, then clicking the tile. I'd wait until trying out before reserving judgement.

Speaking of cases, I was all psyched as I got an email saying my OtterBox shipped this morning too, so I was figuring on having it this weekend (ready for work Monday), whereas the estimate when I ordered was shipped by 22nd, delivered 25-29th.
And it has sat at "label printed" all day (Google store always shifts from that in an hour or two in my experience from the past).... So I'm guessing they are just prepping for arrival :/
I will probably drop by best buy Saturday and grab a Google case in the event it is the 25-29th.

What are you guys using for Ad Blocking on a brand new 3 XL not rooted yet.

Ad Guard with Samsung Browser is good. DN666 not bad, but sucks for Chrome. I've noticed if using Chrome almost non of the non rooted ad blockers work ?

For stock it seems Samsung Browser does ad blocking best.

Can't speak for a 3XL as I don't have one, but I haven't seen any web page ads on my present and previous Motorola phones using AdGuard and Android Chrome browser. Am curious to know why you would consider using Samsung's browser on your Android phone and not Chrome.

The Samsung Browser Beta app is in my opinion the best Android browser out there.

Shocking to hear this, as was I awhile back. But it's so smooth, and the menu bar at the bottom makes it comfortable to use.

I never use Chrome anymore, after getting hooked on this. And I am not a Galaxy Phone fan, but this browser is made by a different team and it's great.

The Samsung Browser Beta app is in my opinion the best Android browser out there.

Shocking to hear this, as was I awhile back. But it's so smooth, and the menu bar at the bottom makes it comfortable to use.

I never use Chrome anymore, after getting hooked on this. And I am not a Galaxy Phone fan, but this browser is made by a different team and it's great.
I'm a recent adopter of the Samsung browser. I like it. Very quick and capable!

What are you guys using for Ad Blocking on a brand new 3 XL not rooted yet.

Ad Guard with Samsung Browser is good. DN666 not bad, but sucks for Chrome. I've noticed if using Chrome almost non of the non rooted ad blockers work ?

For stock it seems Samsung Browser does ad blocking best.
Turn off data saving in Chrome and it should work there too (maybe also the DNS prefetch and stuff too). This way you're not accessing cached stuff on Google's servers.

I use Blokada myself.

Commander, when you receive your 3XL tomorrow could you please do me a favor and post how the sound "quality" is on its speakers? Sound quality matter to me as much, if not more than the volume.

I read in one review that the lower frequency tones sound flat and the overall sound will distort at high volume. A couple of other reviews and some forum chat have been saying that there is significant vibration to be felt on the body of the phone when the speakers are playing at any significant volume. That vibration may not be a concern if the case is serving to enhance the sound box. If it is a real tactile annoyance though that would be another matter. Worse would be if the vibration is heard, that would be unacceptable for me.

I will listen to it when it arrives in Best Buy but I would like to know before hand.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Commander, when you receive your 3XL tomorrow could you please do me a favor and post how the sound "quality" is on its speakers? Sound quality matter to me as much, if not more than the volume.

I read in one review that the tone sounds flat and the overall sound will distort at high volume. A couple of other reviews and some forum chat have been pointing out the there is significant vibration to be felt on the case (especially the rear) when the speakers are playing at any significant volume. That doesn't concern me at all though. I can never forget how well my Moto X Pure Edition stereo quality was and I have been looking for a phone to match it ever since.

Thanks!

For what it's worth.... I read that bit about the distortion and vibrating at higher volumes (vibe even at lower it said), and while barely bothered by it (24/7 mute), it did manage to work it's way into a dream last night....
And today, thinking about how that was prefaced by "no one else tests this usually so no one noticed" or whatever they said, I arrived across a speaker-specific review that said nothing of the matter at all.
Obviously we'll see when they arrive, but it sounded like they may have gotten a defect more likely than "no one else usually tests the speakers", that or it was just a hit job.

I don't know how potentially biased the site may be, but given its an Android site specifically comparing Google products to Google products here, not to mention a very narrow thing to highlight if it were a fluff job I wouldn't think it's an issue.

http://www.9to5google.com/2018/10/16/google-pixel-3-speaker-vs-pixel-2-xl-home-mini/amp/

I read in one review that the lower frequency tones sound flat and the overall sound will distort at high volume. A couple of other reviews and some forum chat have been saying that there is significant vibration to be felt on the body of the phone when the speakers are playing at any significant volume. That vibration may not be a concern if the case is serving to enhance the sound box. If it is a real tactile annoyance though that would be another matter. Worse would be if the vibration is heard and that could be unacceptable for me.

I will listen to it when it arrives in Best Buy but I would like to know before hand.

Thanks!
Will do!

I've noticed if using Chrome almost non of the non rooted ad blockers work ?

Add com.android.chome|*|53 to your firewall rules. Ad blocking complete.

Also, the Samsung browser can handle ad blocking plug-ins, so you don't need to use a VPN-based ad block. I still use Chrome though. Using AdHell 3 on my Note 9, and systemwide ad blocking is working great.

I just got my Pixel 3 in the mail. So far so good. Not a fan of the gesture navigation compared to the Pixel 2's buttons. Oh well. Not a deal killer though.

So apparently the 3 XL’s display is manufactured by Samsung and the regular 3’s is manufactured by LG. People who have seen both in store say that the 3 XL’s display is definitely better and that some regular 3’s are also displaying uneven color temperatures on the screen. Some reported that the top of the displays have a pinkish hue. Keep a look out for that.

Also, some reviewers and users have reported that the 3’s speakers tend to become distorted and vibrate the phone at high volumes.

got the phone last night set it up similar to my 2 XL first impressions are the screen definitely feels bigger just not talking around the notch it seems like the width of the screen is a little wider minimal bezel on the side compared to my 2 XL, which is great

Again the display seems brighter and just overall higher-quality.

performance it's way too early to say I haven't played with it enough but so far it's smooth no lag very fast but that's expected of any brand new phone today

I bought a case, but it's too thick, this phone needs a slim minimal case, it's too pretty to be covered by a bulky case.

It feels like an improved Pixel 2 XL, not a radical new phone like going from an iPhone 7 Plus to a iPhone XS Max, no not that kinda jump. But more of a refined polished better 2 XL. And I really like my Pixel 2 XL, this just seems better.

I should be getting my Pixel 3 XL at the beginning of November.

Based on what I've seen so far I feel like this phone will finally have some feature parrity with my old Note 7. I felt like every Pixel device I got after having that phone was a hardware downgrade (except the camera) .

I'm looking forward to a quality screen and speakers, nice build quality (I like using no case), wireless charging and having the always in display still, I really like the always on display.

There is always negativity on new phone launches. Media outlets literally thrive on finding difficiencies, issues etc. prior to launch. That's great, but doesn't represent the actual user experience sometimes. Most of the complaints I have seen are opinions on the Notch. There is a little bit of weirdness with the camera, but could be the pre-release sofrwaso they are using.

Mine is out for delivery. The gesture navigation will be the determining factor on my decision to keep/return it.

EDIT: It's here! Can't play with it until this afternoon, though.

Last edited:
Screw waiting! :p

Got mine all set up. I agree with Zorachus. The 3XL feels moderately smoother and faster than my 2XL. The 3XL's screen, however, is definitely better. Basically, the 3XL is what the 2XL should have been.

Audio sounds a bit fuller and deeper than on my 2XL. That video provided by Superbovine does a good job showing the difference. Haven't noticed any vibration or distortion in the sound at high volume, but I need to play more music and videos to get a better feel.

My major concern was the gesture navigation. It's different, to be sure, but not nearly as negative as I feared. I still prefer the buttons, but am quickly adapting to the new system. The 3XL's gestures seem more intuitive than gestures on my iPad Pro (2017, iOS 12).

I'm going to use this phone through the weekend, then decide whether to return it. After just a couple hours, I'm leaning in favor of keeping it. (y)

Last edited:
Just for fun I put one of my slim cases from my Pixel 2 XL on my 3 XL and you know what, it fits perfectly snug and tight, fits just right. Only problem is obviously the camera is in a different spot and the power button is slightly different spot, so you can't really use the case ,but as far as fit, it's right on, not loose or too tight.

This proves the two phones are the exact same overall footprint but the 3XL definitely has a noticeably larger screen, no question it's a wider screen and obviously taller with the notch area, and wider display

Back