Google Gives Workers $1K Cash Bonus + 10% Raise

HardOCP News

[H] News
Say what you want about Google, this cash bonus + 10% raise is pretty cool. With the economy forcing most companies to cut back during the holidays, it is nice to see Google spreading the love.

Google has given all of its employees $1,000 cash "holiday bonuses" and 2011 salary increases of at least 10%, a loyal reader tells us. The 10% company-wide raise will take effect on January 1, 2011.

Damn, that's pretty awesome of them to do for all those workers. Good job, Google. I wish I was 20 years younger and had just a tiny bit of the talent that a lot of those folks do and was working there.

I think Google is really trying hard to make their employees really happy. I mean with the nap pods, maid service, and now this? I can't wait to see the time when they have happy hour. lol :D

I think if my company was as successful, we'd all have 10% raises too. Instead, I'm happy with fairly secure employment for the moment.

Ah, I remember the days of 2k+ bonuses and annual raises.... now its just layoffs, temporary layoffs (you must use up your vacation), more work with less people, and 15%+ pay cuts... I think I'm going to move to China.

That is pretty cool, it's a shame that if this story had Bank of America or Ford in the title people would have a coniption fit.

ya, I think he missed on the car name, try GM or Dodge.

The bank is good though I think

Mission "Don't be evil" is looking like a pretty big success from where I'm standing. If I may say so the company I'm with now is tracking pretty closely. If my math is correct I got an 8% pay raise this year.

Mission "Don't be evil" is looking like a pretty big success from where I'm standing. If I may say so the company I'm with now is tracking pretty closely. If my math is correct I got an 8% pay raise this year.
But do you have nap pods and stuff like that? :p

We routinely give employees 10% or higher raises here, but at google, you're also talking about a much higher average pay scale I'm sure.

Why Ford?

6a00d83454a03269e20115723e6383970b-pi

Reminds me of what you heard about companies doing before the dotcom bubble burst.

That is pretty cool, it's a shame that if this story had Bank of America or Ford in the title people would have a coniption fit.

this is different than a bunch of bank execs cutting checks for themselves from stimulus money or union workers getting a big raise on top of an already inflated salary

With the economy forcing most companies to cut back during the holidays...

The companies are the economy. Maybe the economy isn't all that bad and "the bad economy" is just an excuse used by shitty companies to justify cuts.

The companies are the economy. Maybe the economy isn't all that bad and "the bad economy" is just an excuse used by shitty companies to justify cuts.

Ooooo. Deep. Kind of like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?".

Why Ford?

ya, I think he missed on the car name, try GM or Dodge.

The bank is good though I think

Yeah, why Ford? I mean come on, they took the money from the banks before it was the cool thing to do. ;)

I was generalizing, insert which ever US car manufacturer you deem necessary. I used Ford because they held their ground and did not take any TARP funds, or did not declare bankruptcy and allow the tax payer to correct their mistakes. I used BA because they turned a profit during a "recession" even with losses in Mortgage and credit areas. They both must be doing something right. However the current mood is that "big business" or "mega corporations" must make no outward show of paying back their employees for a good job, cant' have that!

I guess I figured the regulars would have caught that.

this is different than a bunch of bank execs cutting checks for themselves from stimulus money or union workers getting a big raise on top of an already inflated salary

Per the article Google paid the 10% across the board that generally means everyone. Bank of America along with JPM Chase and a couple other "mega banks" were for all practically purposes forced to take the TARP to "set an example", it is why they paid the TARP funds back as soon as they were allowed to.

So to clarify for the tin-foil crowd...

zacrobmer said:
That is pretty cool, it's a shame that if this story had Bank of America or Ford paying a 10% across the board to all of it's employees, you know because they are turning a profit on their own accord and by good decisions by their CEO's who arguably also deserve the bonus and did not take government bailout/free bankruptcy money ala GM or bought and resold by Cerberus like Chrysler in the title people would have a conniption fit. Plus it would be long ass title

So kudos to Google, hopefull other big business follows suit.

I'm happy to be working ... We just went through our second major round of layoffs, 1.3 of the company this time. The managers are back in conference determining if there needs to be more. I wonder if Google is hiring?!

I'm happy to be working ... We just went through our second major round of layoffs, 1.3 of the company this time. The managers are back in conference determining if there needs to be more. I wonder if Google is hiring?!

1.3 of the company? O_O You mean 1/3?

Considering how much money Google makes, and the talent many Google employess have -- why is this a big deal? 1k cash bonus and a 10% raise is not "baller."

Considering how much money Google makes, and the talent many Google employess have -- why is this a big deal? 1k cash bonus and a 10% raise is not "baller."

The bonus certainly isn't, but a 10% raise is definitely big. My bonus was fine, and I was happy with a 4.5% raise. Better than last year, for sure.

The bonus certainly isn't, but a 10% raise is definitely big. My bonus was fine, and I was happy with a 4.5% raise. Better than last year, for sure.

I suppose you are right. Guess I'm just a bit spoiled by my field of work.

Unless the tits are nice and round and firm and at least a D cup and the nipples are just dead center and not too low. Now where talkin'! :D

I think a 10% raise is cheaper then everyone in the company getting a tit raise.

I think this is where the $1000 bonus comes from:
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=GOOG

Basically, everyone got the CEO's annual salary as a bonus. Good joke.

It should be pointed out that the 10% raise is instead of stock options, which is a great move. Options suck.

This. Every person I know who works for Google is frighteningly smart, and most of them have or are working on PhDs. Hell, I know a guy who has a degree from Harvard Business and was a VP at Goldman Sachs who was turned down by Google because his GPA was too low.

Back