Gonna treat myself... What Keyboard brands should I look in to?

Discussion in 'Mice and Keyboards' started by DNMock, Dec 19, 2018.

1. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

Wanna grab a shiny new keyboard, aside from Realforce, Bloody, Das, and Ducky, what other brands should I check out?

Only real requirements are solid build quality and full sized.

Aesthetics, if it's gonna be gaudy or ugly, it better go all out on it (like some of those Bloody Light strike boards) and just look like holy hell. For some reason the comedy aspect of that makes it worth it. Otherwise, nice and clean. Basically no Corsair type half hearted ugly boards, all or nothing.

2. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

LightsOut41, KazeoHin and DNMock like this.
  3. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

I have the Corsair K70 RGB LUX with brown switches and its the best keyboard I have owned, nothing ugly about it, and I like the audio wheel on it.

DNMock likes this.
  4. drklu

drklu [H]ard|Gawd

I had problems with the LED's burning out in my Ducky Shine a few years back. Pretty much my only complaint. I switch to a DAS at work and have had zero problems. Very nice build quality.

DNMock likes this.
  5. KillerFry

KillerFry Limp Gawd

I own a Realforce 87UW55 that I use in my office, and I love it. It is one of the best typing experiences I've ever had! Yet, I would not use it for gaming.

In my gaming rig I have a Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S with brown switches that I enjoy for gaming. It is TenKeyLess, but there is a full layout version of it.

DNMock likes this.
  6. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

had an older K65 I think? From when corsair came out with that new logo that didn't stick I think. It was garbage. Will check out the newer ones though, just assumed they were still crap. Thanks for the tip.
    What makes you say that? Is it the actuation distance on the topre switches or is there something else?

7. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

8. Niner21

Niner21 n00bie

I really like my HyperX Alloy Elite. Very sturdy build quality.

9. SticKx911

SticKx911 [H]ard|Gawd

I have always had good luck with logitech. I have needed warranty help twice and their customer service surprised me both times. I've pretty much bought exclusively logitech since and have not been disappointed.

10. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

Lord, if that came in neon green with some RGB techno lighting and some racing stripes, I would absolutely buy one right now!

11. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I own two Ducky keyboards. I cannot recommend them enough, but they aren't really for gamers.

Commander Shepard likes this.
  12. SH1

SH1 [H]ard|Gawd

Hard to find, especially NOS, but I really like the IBM Model F AT.

Modified Model F AT.JPG

13. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

No, but it comes in graphite... :D

You can also buy foot pedals that work with it as well.

Personally I have been checking out this Roccat recently.

14. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

Yes Corsair made some major improvements with their keyboards over the last couple yrs.

15. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I've spent over $1200 or $1300 on mechanical keyboards over the past 7 years and that's not including the 3 or 4 my GF has bought me.

I got tired of spending the $100 to $150 on the big named keyboards and for fun, started to buy the cheaper ones. Some of them were OK .. some were really good but one was ... absolutely fantastic and performed like a $150 mechanical keyboard all day long. Fit and finish, performance, just as good and better than a lot of the keyboards I've bought over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/TECWARE-Mech...45333367&sr=8-1&keywords=techware+phantom+104

This keyboard has heft, does not flex, metal base, braided cord, very solid feet with great grip and even a built in key puller built in the bottom of the keyboard. And the RGB's are brite and software is great.

$55 dollars ... it's a steal

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    DrLobotomy likes this.
  16. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Limp Gawd

You can pry my G15 from my cold, dead, carpal tunneled hands.

17. griffinhart

griffinhart [H]ard|Gawd

I recently purchased a couple of Keyboards. I wanted mechanical since it was replacing my Logitech G810. I got the Corsair K95 RGB for home, and I like it so far. For Work I picked up the Logitech G610 (Red). Frankly, I love the G610 so far. It's not RGB, but it's a simple looking keyboard, the while LED's are very bright, and the Cherry Red switches are great. I really like typing on it.

18. Commander Shepard

One of my complaints about Corsair mech boards is that you have to use their CUE software to control any lighting effects. Deck and Ducky boards control lighting directly from the keys. No need for any software.

I've been using Ducky boards for the last few years and have had no trouble at all;. I will say that their RGB lighting seems a bit dull compared to other RGB boards. I prefer all white or blue LEDs, anyway, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

My current mech keyboard is this Ducky One/2 tenkeyless with Cherry Silver switches. I'm very happy with it.

152881_IMG_20180830_172600.jpg

19. Trmntr

Trmntr [H]Lite

I own Corsair K70 and I don't have any complains about it, one of the best keyboards I've owned.

20. Grugbug

Grugbug n00bie

I have a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum.
    The price is kind of high but once you have one you realize why. No complaints about this keyboard as the price is justified by the quality.

21. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

I hate my K70. I got it in a trade with someone or else I would have ditched it a long time ago. Actually, I think they're the blue switches. I should say I hate blue switches as it doesn't fit my typing. I have too long of a stroke and I get double presses and neighboring characters with regularity.

22. Trmntr

Trmntr [H]Lite

Well, actually, I've had like 5 mech keyboards, have used the 3 switches (blue, red, brown) and I kept one with blue switches for my main PC. What you saying is you dont like the switch by itself, or did you find something bad about the keyboard on its own? I think the build quality is superb

23. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Its the switches. I can't complain about the actual keyboard. It is held up pretty well over the years.

24. Commander Shepard

I'm a terrible typist on mechanical boards, regardless of the switch. I use mine for gaming and maybe some very light typing tasks. Any real typing (work, email, etc) is on my Logitech K750 or K810 boards. I'm so much faster and more accurate on a scissor switch board.

kirbyrj likes this.
  25. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

So just as an update, ended up grabbing a Ducky One (black) with the basic white leds, Chery Blue switches and slapped some doubleshot pudding caps on it.

All in all I'm pretty damn happy with it. She looks like a classy lady, but when you get to typing you realize she is down to get dirty!

26. Commander Shepard