Going to 4 Player LAN - Anyone got any good 4 Player coop recommendations?

spine

2[H]4U
So, this old question again, but I wonder with the rise of steam and its indie games if there's some gems out there I've probably missed. Often I've seen these threads end up with hundreds of any and all games listed and it becomes difficult to select any as there's so many.

So... could I ask that you please recommend one, just one, good game you've personally played that's a good solid 4 player game and please give as much info as you can about it; genre, learning curve, player progression, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be coop, but muchly preferred. If it's competitive, then fun is the order of the day for sure. :p

We won't have much time so we want to make the best of it, thanks! ;)

I'll list off all the games we have played/own already, in random order:

Left4Dead 1 & 2 - Love this one, but 1 guy in our gang can't handle it (not a team player!)
Serious Sam games - Always a reliably good laugh.
Shoot Many Robots - Steam indie game. Was highly enjoyable at first, then got a little tired after several hours. Worth the money though.
Blur - Good fun racing game. Blatantly too random with hilarious catchup for my usual liking, but works at a drunken lan-fest.
GRID - Great racing game, love it personally.
DIRT 3 - Always a hit with my gang, seems to get the balance right between fun and realism/playability.
Supreme Commander - Odd one to include, but thought I'd mention it since it's not off the table for the upcoming lan.
Battlefield Games - Always good fall back games.
CoD Games/Blops Zombies - Yeah, got these covered too.
Unreal Tournament - The original and most fun frankly. UT3 is cool, but, well, dunno, just doesn't click for me.
Pay Day: The Heist - My mates seem to go crazy over this, I find it it little clunky, but enjoyable nonetheless.
TrackMania: Nations - Cool chill out game if you stick to the simpler courses and play to perfection.
Killing Floor - Crazy fun. And as someone mentioned, we found the xmas stuff hilarious. Good un-demanding alternative to L4D .

That's about all I can think of for now.

So yeah, please fire away, and please, just make it your one 'goto' 4 player coop game of choice if you don't see it above. Very much appreciated, thanks! :cool:

*EDIT*
Updated existing game list now I'm at home and can see what games we all have...

Last edited:
So, this old question again, but I wonder with the rise of steam and its indie games if there's some gems out there I've probably missed. Often I've seen these threads end up with hundreds of any and all games listed and it becomes difficult to select any as there's so many.

So... could I ask that you please recommend one, just one, good game you've personally played that's a good solid 4 player game and please give as much info as you can about it; genre, learning curve, player progression, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be coop, but muchly preferred. If it's competitive, then fun is the order of the day for sure. :p

We won't have much time so we want to make the best of it, thanks! ;)

I'll list off all the games we have played/own already, in random order:

Left4Dead 1 & 2 - Love this one, but 1 guy in our gang can't handle it (not a team player!)
Serious Sam games - Always a reliably good laugh.
Shoot Many Robots - Steam indie game. Was highly enjoyable at first, then got a little tired after several hours. Worth the money though.
Blur - Good fun racing game. Blatantly too random with hilarious catchup for my usual liking, but works at a drunken lan-fest.
GRID - Great racing game, love it personally.
DIRT 3 - Always a hit with my gang, seems to get the balance right between fun and realism/playability.
Supreme Commander - Odd one to include, but thought I'd mention it since it's not off the table for the upcoming lan.
Battlefield Games - Always good fall back games.
CoD Games/Blops Zombies - Yeah, got these covered too.

That's about all I can think of for now.

So yeah, please fire away, and please, just make it your one 'goto' 4 player coop game of choice if you don't see it above. Very much appreciated, thanks! :cool:

Get a copy of UT99 and get the excessive mods. Yes it looks outdated but its just stupid pure fun. Borderlands 2 is also a great game for 4 player coop. We did that for out last LAN party and played for about 12 hours. We took our time with quests and side quests and it was a great time.

UT99 doesn't exist. It's UT.

Killing Floor is a fun co-op game to play, but it can go up to 6 players. 4 players can still have a good time though.

The Wiki is not a source of information. Anyone can write information in it.

Simply put.

It's UT or UTGoTY, UT99 does not exist.

I'm not going by "official name" I'm going by a "recognized name." Which is what everybody else here is doing. Because if you flat out just say UT, people might go hey which one.

So more UT99 designations for everyone!

Language and communication is a bit more dynamic than "It's UT, or else, fuck you if you don't say UT."

While UT99 might not be the "official title" of the game, it's still a valid identifier so users know which one you're referring to. At the same time a person can assume UT means the original UT, however the identifier makes sure everybody knows we're on the same page.

For example, you figured out you wanted to post that it's just UT, or else based on the identifier of UT99.

I think I'm going to stop here, because I'm pretty much being a dick at this point. :)

Last edited:
And back on topic, do any of you guys have classic RA2? That was always fun. And there's always good ol' CS, CSS and the latest CSGO.

EDIT: I forgot about Natural Selection 2, that game is hella fun. Also Primal Carnage is fun if you want dino-killing action. Not so much fun on most of these for 4-player only, but if you 4 jump online it's legit.

It's not UT it's "Unreal Tournament"! Please stop using acronyms people, we all get very confused here! :p

As for recommendations.. I hear the new Mario game is good with four peeps... maybe too kiddy for y'all though

As for recommendations.. I hear the new Mario game is good with four peeps... maybe too kiddy for y'all though

I know for a fact that this game is a great 5-player drinking game. :D

250px-NintendoLandboxartwork.png

Actually it's fun with 3+ people :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I shoulda put down the original UT 'cos we have that and tend to play assault coop against a ton Nali bots. Always a good laugh.

And we also got Payday: The Heist, and Killing Floor - slipped my mind, sorry.

I'll update the list, but thanks so far for the suggestions! ;)

Last edited:
So, Borderlands 2 gets a good shout...

I was massively put off by the first one with the screwed up FOV and mouse issues apparently. Read too much bad things about it to ever buy it. Is BL2 a substantial improvement here?

One of the guys isn't the most RPG orientated, so how 'pick up and play' would it be for a 2-3 day lan?

BL2 is about £20 on Amazon, so don't wanna spend £80 on it collectively unless it's really worth it. The first one is £7 though! Did they ever fix all the issues with it to the point that a picky person like myself would enjoy it now?

Thanks!

The Wiki is not a source of information. Anyone can write information in it.

Simply put.

It's UT or UTGoTY, UT99 does not exist.

Once something has entered the common vernacular, you may as well recognize it as legit. How do you think words end up in the dictionary anyway?

Age of Empires 2 can be a lot of fun
UT2004 is so much fun

BL2 is superior in every way. I would argue BL1 kind of sucks but it could be fun. BL2 is fun and is actually good as well.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I shoulda put down the original UT 'cos we have that and tend to play assault coop against a ton Nali bots. Always a good laugh.

And we also got Payday: The Heist, and Killing Floor - slipped my mind, sorry.

I'll update the list, but thanks so far for the suggestions! ;)

If you intend to play UT, then you should for SURE install the Monster Hunt modification and download some custom maps for it and play through them. Some of them are really good, some of them not so much. It's a great coop game type for UT. I use to run a few MH servers back when I hosted www.planetmonsterhunt.com but now that I run www.ut-files.com I shut down the MH servers and redirected pmh to ut-files.com. One day I might get the time to setup another MH server.

what i enjoy doing with a few people, is getting a team together and going online and play. While voice chat is great, something just better about having them in the same room

Some of the funniest gaming memories I have have occurred over the course of this series of games.

Beerio Kart is always a hit.

Rules of the game:
1) Must finish your beer before crossing the finish line
2) Must pull over to the side and come to a complete stop before drinking
3) No drinking and driving

+1 for sniper elite, my friends and I have been having fun with it. Challenging game, when you have more players, it gets even harder and its also cheap and they offer a 4 pack for a decent discount.

Beerio Kart is always a hit.

Rules of the game:
1) Must finish your beer before crossing the finish line
2) Must pull over to the side and come to a complete stop before drinking
3) No drinking and driving

Seems like you would just chug the whole thing at the start and then go for the rest of the race. :p

Back