God of War 4

Gamplay-wise, it looks clearly inspired by the Souls games. Lots of dodging, rolling, and melee combat. The camera angle is closer to a 3rd person shooter, though. It's super tight to his back. I can only assume that means dodging into the screen isn't going to be a heavy focus or the camera will shift for action-heavy sequences. Most of the footage I've seen is still story-centric.

why does this look like it plays like a modern tomb raider game?

I'm losing interest fast, and this coming from someone who LOVED the previous GoW titles.

While I get the pushback from fans of the older games, they really have taken things about as far as they can. This will be game #6 in the series and that doesn't even count the phone games, remasters, collection bundles, etc.
At some point they had to do something different. If we ever get another Ninja Gaiden I bet it'll be similarly different as well.

I never really played much of the first games...I think I played some of the first GOW but it didn't really hook me. Might give this a try, though.

While I get the pushback from fans of the older games, they really have taken things about as far as they can. This will be game #6 in the series and that doesn't even count the phone games, remasters, collection bundles, etc.
At some point they had to do something different. If we ever get another Ninja Gaiden I bet it'll be similarly different as well.
I don't get it. From what I've seen I think the change in gameplay fits the way the original series ended for Kratos.

I'm hoping you can change the camera angle from those in the videos shown here. Having him take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen seems like a real pain in the butt.

I Pre-order God of War Stone Mason Edition

god4.png

Last edited:
I've never played any in the series. It looks like GoW 3 was remastered for PS4 but GoW1 and 2 are only available for PS3. Worth picking up a PS3 for cheap for these games?

I've never played any in the series. It looks like GoW 3 was remastered for PS4 but GoW1 and 2 are only available for PS3. Worth picking up a PS3 for cheap for these games?

Hard for me to say. They are fun hack'n'slash games. The story for GoW2 ends in a cliff hanger which GoW3 immediately picks up from. Graphically they pushed the PS3 so they look pretty good even today. Story is a mess at times, honestly they could have ended at the first one and be fine. Not that I hate the others but the story just more or less is Kratos is a big rage machine and much kill everything.

If you want story the GoW on PSP, ported to PS3, are great balance of story and gameplay. Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. They are underrated gems, graphically not as good of course.

Ascension is a pure cash grab using the name. It's not terrible but unnecessary prequels.

Yeah, I'd say so. I got the GoW3 remastered on sale a while back from the PSN store for $6. I plan on replaying through it soon before playing the new game, even though it looks like they won't have much in common even on the story front, but it's a fun game regardless and worth playing still if you're remotely into games like this. I'm pretty sure the 3rd game recaps the events in the first two games too at some point either before the game starts or in a separate video in the main menu or something.

You can stream all of the God of War games with PlayStation Now on PC or PS4. It's $20 a month or $100 a year. New subscribers can get their first month for $10 if going monthly, so if you just want to try it for a month and cancel. There is also a 7-day free trial.

Only GoW game I played through to completion was the very first one. After that I tried others but they never interested me much. Never cared for the button prompt, Quick Time Event combat. Also I never warmed up to the fire chains/whip weapon thingy. But this ax is looking okay. It might be a pretty good action romp, if the combat is fun, challenging. Hope the kid doesn't get in the way too much, or become a bother. Probably cave and buy this day one. I need a good action hack and slash to dethrone Nioh!

Embargo lifts tonight.

I'm guessing they'll give it at least a 9.4, Kratos dies at the end, and the next game will have his son as the main protagonist.

I hope they don't go down the cliche "the father figure dies" route. If the kid doesn't get annoying I'd like them to keep up the dynamic for multiple games. I think killing off Kratos would pretty much end the franchise, no matter how well done the kid is.

I hope they don't go down the cliche "the father figure dies" route. If the kid doesn't get annoying I'd like them to keep up the dynamic for multiple games. I think killing off Kratos would pretty much end the franchise, no matter how well done the kid is.

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong, it just seems like an obvious setup with them bringing his son into the game like this (him being a useful sidekick and even playable in some parts I think I saw). I can see it going either way though and if anything them taking the no-so-obvious route of keeping Kratos alive somehow for future games. But regardless, I would think his son would have to be in the next game and play either the same or an even bigger part.

I haven't even had a chance to play Horizon yet and this comes out. Gah! I need to hurry up and find some time! It's games like this I don't mind paying full retail for.

I haven't even had a chance to play Horizon yet and this comes out. Gah! I need to hurry up and find some time! It's games like this I don't mind paying full retail for.

I'd just play through Horizon for the next month or two (it will take that long unless you don't work or sleep, hah) and maybe catch a deal on GoW in the mean time still. Horizon was pretty much my GOTY for last year, as I put over 150 hours into it across two complete play-throughs with the 2nd one including the DLC and on the hardest difficulty (on NG+ it wasn't significantly harder really). I got that game a couple months after it came out too on sale for $40 (well actually $30ish with a coupon I got with my PS4 Pro) on PSN, so I could see them doing the same for GoW too that soon. The only reason I didn't get it sooner was that I was a full time worker and student until June last year and haven't had time to play any games for the past 4 years until that time, so I've been trying to play catch-up ever since, hah.

Per some reviews this morning the PS4 Pro has a performance mode that makes 1080p "usually" 60fps. There's also a 4K mode, but I guess the framerate on it is terrible.

Per some reviews this morning the PS4 Pro has a performance mode that makes 1080p "usually" 60fps. There's also a 4K mode, but I guess the framerate on it is terrible.

I've only seen IGN's comparison vid so far that shows the performance and 4K modes, which with Youtube's compression/bitrate, makes it hard to tell the difference graphically between them all even when viewing on my 1440p 32" monitor at work, same with performance as well.

I would be very surprised if Sony and/or Santa Monica studios allowed the game to launch with any major performance issues though, on any console or settings. I could see a few dropped frames occasionally on the base PS4 or 4K mode and not much more than that. I would expect the performance mode to target a locked 60 FPS still instead of having an unlocked frame rate, as unlocked frame rates are never a pleasant thing on a console. If there are any moderate performance issues currently on the game though, I would expect it to be patched at launch or soon thereafter though. Sony doesn't seem to mess around with their 1st party titles.

I'll await Digital Foundry's tech analysis of the game, which I'm sure will be out within the next week or so.

Here's the one I saw this morning: https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/12/17227946/god-of-war-ps4-pro-60fps-4k-1080p
WCCFTech says the same thing, but it seems like they're literally just pulling from this article.

I absolutely hate gaming at 30fps, but I'm not a big fan of framerates that are all over the place either. Especially if they're cheating and using no-vsync to achieve it. Console reviewers tend to leave that out or maybe they don't recognize it like PC gamers/reviewers do.

Guess I'll find out when the game arrives. YouTube is all but worthless for framerate comparisons since it will interpolate the video to hit 24/30/60 fps.

Here's the one I saw this morning: https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/12/17227946/god-of-war-ps4-pro-60fps-4k-1080p
WCCFTech says the same thing, but it seems like they're literally just pulling from this article.

I absolutely hate gaming at 30fps, but I'm not a big fan of framerates that are all over the place either. Especially if they're cheating and using no-vsync to achieve it. Console reviewers tend to leave that out or maybe they don't recognize it like PC gamers/reviewers do.

Guess I'll find out when the game arrives. YouTube is all but worthless for framerate comparisons since it will interpolate the video to hit 24/30/60 fps.
I only noticed tearing with Tomb Raider. I haven't noticed it in other games that use unlocked framerate on the PS4. They may be using triple buffering in some games and not in others.

Yeah, I'm going to have to see some hard numbers (like on DF's tech analysis) before I believe it has any bad performance issues on any mode. Like I said though; even if it is having some issues keeping 30 FPS in resolution mode, I'm betting they'll patch it pretty quickly. If I remember right, Horizon launched with some slight performance issues as well, but got patched pretty quick to fix it, then again with its performance/resolution modes (which didn't seem to do much either way - I played on resolution mode and never noticed any frame drops at all).

Back