Go 7800gtx

—§urfÅceЗ said:
so.... whats so new about this? launch Sept 29? what does the "Go" do?
Lappie-toppie. :D
It's a notebook video card.

Now, then... Me wants!

sli laptops???? no way. What do you expect? Anyway, the 6800 GO's were great, so I expect this to be just as awesome.

SLi is already a black-hole on the desktop, they know it would not make any money or be practical in a laptop...

I remember an article that they wanted to do it, but the way laptops are designed and cooled, plus demand just isn't there. I have to agree with them, SLi on a laptop would be a huge waste of time.

Very impressive.
I however look forward to the price drops on the 6800go lappys :)

Wow.... Now that would be one badass Laptop... I really wonder how they will cool it though? :p

Prob has a Ice Machine inside to keep it cold :D

SLI on a laptop will be waste...

it will chew batteries alive....

and if u say ur gonna plug it in ur room or whatever...

i think it will be cheaper to get an SLI on a full desktop machine than to buy a labtop with SLI.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
SLI on a laptop will be waste...

it will chew batteries alive....

and if u say ur gonna plug it in ur room or whatever...

i think it will be cheaper to get an SLI on a full desktop machine than to buy a labtop with SLI.

LAN party perfection.

I'd rather have sli in a SFF and a PORTABLE notebook than one of those behemoth DTR notebooks. And this comes from someone who has a DTR notebook, it gets old real fast trust me.

I think its great. Notebook dedicated video used to be generations behined their desktop counterpart. Not anymore.

yikes!!! and I thought my XPS gen2 was expensive :eek: :eek:
some sweet configurations though

I had a feeling this would soon follow the desktop, considering the quality of power efficiency of the 7800s.

Russ said:
sli laptops???? no way. What do you expect? Anyway, the 6800 GO's were great, so I expect this to be just as awesome.

I wouldnt say that, there will soon be SLI notebook, no doubt about that. Its just when.

If this measures up to the desktop version it will kick some serious ass.

And even more jovial ass.

UltimaParadox said:
Starting at 4500 dollars, thats like throwing money away
Buying any highend PC or laptop before they are out is like throwing money away. He ask me where he could get the most uber laptop in existence and I told him widowpc would have the most insane configuration possible. In my experience there is nothing better.

Another note on this release. This is the nail in the coffin for ATI mobility for enthusiasts.

DAMN! :eek: nVidia is making minced meat out of the competition...it seems they've learned from their past mistakes. Hopefully nVidia will support Linux with this new GPU. :)

trudude said:
Buying any highend PC or laptop before they are out is like throwing money away. He ask me where he could get the most uber laptop in existence and I told him widowpc would have the most insane configuration possible. In my experience there is nothing better.

Its just the sad part, that a I9300 that would probablly perform within 20% could be had for around 1500 with coupons, or even less

And the battery life on that thing is probablly like 20 minutes. 12lbs to boot, Its like a brick.

lol.. you'll get about 2.3 minutes with an extra battery if there is an SLI option. :D

UltimaParadox said:
Its just the sad part, that a I9300 that would probablly perform within 20% could be had for around 1500 with coupons, or even less

And the battery life on that thing is probablly like 20 minutes. 12lbs to boot, Its like a brick.

The power/heat requiresments on the 7800 is much less than the 6800 ultra, So your wrong, it would be lighter, and it will have more battery life.

lockheed2266 said:
The power/heat requiresments on the 7800 is much less than the 6800 ultra, So your wrong, it would be lighter, and it will have more battery life.

The chip, if anything, would be heavier because of the extra 100 million transistors it's packing

revan said:
The chip, if anything, would be heavier because of the extra 100 million transistors it's packing
I think he meant the 7800 Go is lighter on the batteries compared to the 6800 Ultra Go... ;)

well,

I just ordered an XPS2 on saturday and I plan on cancelling my order come the 29th if the price and availability of the new one is right. I'll take pics and post em up here.

I couldn't care less about the price/performance ratio. It's the best right? :D

I mean, the price/performance logic would instantly rule out any reason for buying Ferrari, I mean, you can get a corvette Z06 that's comparable in performance albiet, not as good for sure. But hey, it's a Ferrari right?

Regardless, I'm really excited about this new GPU, this XPS is going to replace my desktop and my other laptop, so it's worth it for me.

1c3d0g said:
DAMN! :eek: nVidia is making minced meat out of the competition...it seems they've learned from their past mistakes. Hopefully nVidia will support Linux with this new GPU. :)
One of the many finest things I've seen with Nvidia and their driver support is OS/*nix driver support!

Nvidia has never let the *nix community down!

ATi on the other hand...has.

lockheed2266 said:
Not "much less". The same. Read the slides.

However, it would be nice to downclock the GPU in certain situations when the performance isn't necessarily needed to save battery life. Though high end laptop displays suck down much more battery life than GPU's, iirc.

Did a search for the Dell XPS M170 and came up with this :

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1859229,00.asp

There's an XPS m140 apparently (14.1 inch screen widescreen). Both seem to be Media Center pc's though.

Definately have to keep an eye out for that one - it could very well be a good balance between portability and gaming performance if it releases with a good vid card.

EekTheKat said:
Did a search for the Dell XPS M170 and came up with this :

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1859229,00.asp

There's an XPS m140 apparently (14.1 inch screen widescreen). Both seem to be Media Center pc's though.

Definately have to keep an eye out for that one - it could very well be a good balance between portability and gaming performance if it releases with a good vid card.
Oooh good find. Unfortunately, it looks like only the M170 will come with "upgraded graphics." A 14" notebook with a high end video card would be amazing, but is still unfeasible, unfortunately.

Odd that this will be a media center pc. I wonder what exactly that means....

lockheed2266 said:

Haha it would be lighter, you should try looking at the specs

widowpc said:
Weight: 11.3 lbs. with Battery
http://www.widowpc.com/2005/08/fx-57_laptop.php

Dell said:
Weight: Starting at 7.85 lbs. (3.56 kg). Weight shown is with 17" WXGA+ display, optical drive and 53Whr 6-cell battery.1
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...00?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~tab=specstab#tabtop

Considering the WidowPC using an FX57, and an Inspiron 930 uses a P-M, with speedsteep, I believe the power consumption would be like night and day. Even with a 9 cell Li-ON battery, with a full fledged Fx-57, I doubt you can get more than an hour of gaming on it.

Thats the price you pay for putting a Desktop CPU in a laptop, let alone the extra heat the FX-57 would dissapiate, which would require a more elaborate cooling method, which in turn uses more power.

Why does a 7800GTX laptop version immediately bring to mind the thoughts of melted plastic and a trip to the emergency room?

Bassist-X said:
Why does a 7800GTX laptop version immediately bring to mind the thoughts of melted plastic and a trip to the emergency room?

Past experiences, did your Ibook catch on fire in your lap? :p

Back