Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

Does the intel raid controller natively use AHCI? Cause I am running my SSD on the same controller as the Raid 0 array I have, but I cannot find any Windows AHCI drivers installed.

How can I check that AHCI and NCQ are enabled?
Go to your start menu, Click on Intel Matrix Storage Console. Use advanced view and it will show you all devices controlled by the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Click on any Item and it will tell you the status (in view use the advanced mode) of any particular device. It will tell you if NCQ is enabled.

Fullscreen%20capture%20432010%2044837%20PM.bmp.jpg

The memory controller is probably running out of breath. Have you increased your QPI/Uncore voltage at all? I've had two separate identical systems side by side: 920's, 12GB of Corsair 1600MHz each, Evga X58 3x SLI boards, both wouldn't do even 1333MHz at stock volts, same thing with only 6GB, but setting to 1066MHz was perfectly fine.

Just because you buy 1600MHz memory doesn't mean you can just crank it up there blindly. Sure the memory is rated for whatever speed, timings, voltage, but the memory controller in the CPU (part of the Uncore) is only rated for 1066MHz so there's no guarantee that you'll hit it on stock volts (50% speed increase, lol).

Yea, I've got it now, simply had to set the Uncore to double the memory frequency for it to work.

I just got this board and I can't even get it to boot into BIOS.

Here's what I'm trying to boot with:
Core i7 930
Corsair TX750W PSU
Corsair XMS3 1600 6GB (2GBx3)
ATI 5870 HD 1GB

That's it. It doesn't come up to BIOS or any video signal. I'm getting power on the board. The overvoltage and overclock LEDs come on right away and stay on. I've read about all these memory issues in this thread so I took out all my memory and I get the same results.

I boot with 1 stick in channel 1. Same results. I boot with 1 stick in channel 2. Yep, same results. First Gigabyte board for me and my first DOA it seems.

I'm not gonna spend too long messin with it based on this thread. I don't want to wait a week for a support e-mail. I can get a new board by then. Might call for RMA right away and go with what I know (Asus).

That really sucks cause I had such few issues with it. I would agree its probably not worth fussing over. If it doesnt work out of the box you can expect issues down the road imo.

Reading through thread again I found the post on page 9 from EliteComputerBuilds having success with the G Skill memory. I ordered some up hoping that it's the Corsair causing my trouble. I'll have two types to troubleshoot with at least when it gets here.

I'll probably be motivated enough to rip it all apart this weekend and try again with what I have until it gets here. After that I guess I'm going the new motherboard route.

Reading through thread again I found the post on page 9 from EliteComputerBuilds having success with the G Skill memory. I ordered some up hoping that it's the Corsair causing my trouble. I'll have two types to troubleshoot with at least when it gets here.

I'll probably be motivated enough to rip it all apart this weekend and try again with what I have until it gets here. After that I guess I'm going the new motherboard route.

The G Skill works great. I have mine at 1836 MHz stable. Let us know how it works out..

Well my issue is not related to the power supply. I went to Best Buy and picked up an identical Corsair just to be sure.

Initially after going back and looking at things again I thought I just made a noob mistake because I didn't plug in the ATX12V. When I plugged that in though I there seemed to be even less power going to the board because all of the fans were going at a much lower RPM than when I didn't have it plugged in. This led me to believe it was maybe a PSU issue. The new one does the exact same thing though.

The new RAM arrives on Monday. One last hurrah before I see what I can get from Asus or maybe EVGA.

Has anyone used the QuickBoost utility that comes with this motherboard? I am a newcomer to OC, and wonder if these type of quick utilities are a safe way to get started on OC'ing?

Well my issue is not related to the power supply. I went to Best Buy and picked up an identical Corsair just to be sure.

Initially after going back and looking at things again I thought I just made a noob mistake because I didn't plug in the ATX12V. When I plugged that in though I there seemed to be even less power going to the board because all of the fans were going at a much lower RPM than when I didn't have it plugged in. This led me to believe it was maybe a PSU issue. The new one does the exact same thing though.

The new RAM arrives on Monday. One last hurrah before I see what I can get from Asus or maybe EVGA.

No beep codes ? ( you must plug a speaker or buzzer onto the motherboard speaker connector).

Remove your heatsink and reseat the cpu and try to boot with just one stick of ram, leave the HS off. Just see if it will come up, beep or show any video and then remove the power quickly. (these cpus can easily stand that and are self protecting from heat damage but you still just want to see real quick if it looks like it is going to POST and then kill the power. )

Make sure your video card is good, try it on someone elses machine or borrow a known good one.

The reason the fans run slower may be that you actually got further along in the boot process and fan speed control in the bios started working. I take the fan speed reduction as a good thing and an indication the board might be OK. I suspect the video card.

I would remove everything from the case. Put it together on a desk sitting on the antistatic bag. This way you have no shorts possible and can get a good look at everything. Re-seat the cpu in the socket and make sure it is in there properly.

I just built pretty much the same system and it worked from the first button push.

I would remove everything from the case. Put it together on a desk sitting on the antistatic bag. This way you have no shorts possible and can get a good look at everything. Re-seat the cpu in the socket and make sure it is in there properly.

I just built pretty much the same system and it worked from the first button push.

At the time you posted this reply I was actually doing just that .. no luck in getting any further however. I removed the CPU and put on AS5 this time instead of the thermal paste that came with the True Spirit.

No beep codes ? ( you must plug a speaker or buzzer onto the motherboard speaker connector).

Remove your heatsink and reseat the cpu and try to boot with just one stick of ram, leave the HS off. Just see if it will come up, beep or show any video and then remove the power quickly. (these cpus can easily stand that and are self protecting from heat damage but you still just want to see real quick if it looks like it is going to POST and then kill the power. )

Make sure your video card is good, try it on someone elses machine or borrow a known good one.

The reason the fans run slower may be that you actually got further along in the boot process and fan speed control in the bios started working. I take the fan speed reduction as a good thing and an indication the board might be OK. I suspect the video card.

Well the Antec 900 case I'm using doesn't have a speaker that I know of. Regarding the video card, the 5870 I'm using worked perfectly in a q6600 machine I'm running before I tried to fire this one up. I know it's not impossible that it's dead but I'm gonna hope that it's not ;). I've got a 9600GT I can try in there next time I mess around with it.

I just ordered this motherboard to for my new i7 920 (got it for $170 from microcenter :D ) build. Hopefully I don't have any of the problems mentioned in this thread...

Last edited:
I just ordered this motherboard to for my new i7 920 (got it for $170 from microcetner :D ) build. Hopefully I don't have any of the problems mentioned in this thread...

I just completed a build with this board and so far its been fine. xmp profile worked right away with the g.skill memory, bios was F2 and qflashed to F5. Running memtest now and all is well so far..

I just ordered this motherboard to for my new i7 920 (got it for $170 from microcetner :D ) build. Hopefully I don't have any of the problems mentioned in this thread...

My board was DOA. New PSU and the g.skill couldn't even get it running. I've RMA'd it and I'm going to see if I can get my 930 up and running with the ASUS P6X58D Premium instead (assuming there's nothing wrong with the CPU)

Has anyone had issues with this board and the ICH10R controller?

When I run my Intel X-25M along with my Raid 10 setup (4 samsung 750's), I get random freezes all over the place.

When I put my x25m on the gigabyte controller, all these issues seem to go away.

Well solved my issue with the G110 and this board. I found the beta 6 bios and it fixed my booting issue. Woot!!!!:D

I have an i7 930 cpu and Corsair dominator 7-7-7 timings ram. F6b bios just flashed in.

I am having trouble overclocking this thing. Clock ratio is 22x, Turbo enabled, multithreaded was disabled and enabled, both boots won't boot into windows. C1E disabled, EIST disabled, QPI was auto, but I think auto set it to x36. Isochronous enabled. BCLK was 140 .. this won't even boot into windows. XMS memory profile is enabled so memory speed is 1600Mhz.

CPU volts 1.4v, QPI 1.37v, DRAM 1.68 IOH 1.2...

This is annoying. I can't even overclock to 3.2 GHz. I even tried disabling multithreading and it won't boot into windows.

I have an i7 930 cpu and Corsair dominator 7-7-7 timings ram. F6b bios just flashed in.

I am having trouble overclocking this thing. Clock ratio is 22x, Turbo enabled, multithreaded was disabled and enabled, both boots won't boot into windows. C1E disabled, EIST disabled, QPI was auto, but I think auto set it to x36. Isochronous enabled. BCLK was 140 .. this won't even boot into windows. XMS memory profile is enabled so memory speed is 1600Mhz.

CPU volts 1.4v, QPI 1.37v, DRAM 1.68 IOH 1.2...

This is annoying. I can't even overclock to 3.2 GHz. I even tried disabling multithreading and it won't boot into windows.

@3.2GHz you should be able to overclock no sweat. I dont really need to change anything. I have all my power saving features set to disabled in the bios, Memory set to 1.6v and the load line on standard.. Try running memtest and make sure your ram isnt over its rated speed when overclocking. Let us know..

Hey guys anyone know of any way to control the fans???

I am wondering if speedfan or something similar will work with this motherboard to control fan speed.

Mine is the HX3X12G1600C9. It's 6 2GB sticks of the same DDR3 1600 CAS 9 RAM you've got.

<s>Have you overclocked yours? If yes, mind posting your settings? I seem to be having a hard time posting even at a mild OC... of 3.2Ghz (goal: 3.8-4.0 Ghz)</s>

Edit: NVM! Figured it out...

Last edited:
I haven't done any overclocking with the vF6 beta bios, but with vF5 I was having a hard time getting it to OC. I hope to get up to 3.4 or 3.5 even though it's pretty frikin fast as it is.

Ya know after I flashed to F6 the system worked fine, but yesterday all the sudden it couldn't find the boot loader thingamagig. I didn't even make any chances that I can remember. So, had to reinstall Windows 7.

Friend of mine just dropped off his rig with this board, can't get 7/64 setup to see his X25-M even though the BIOS recognizes it in AHCI & RAID modes (confirmed that it's on the ICH10R, tested several different ones). Did you guys need to make a driver diskette to install Windows in the first place? Running F4 BIOS, IIRC, but can confirm if it matters.

Oh, and no coil whine with a BFG EX1200.

So are ppl still getting the whining noise from the latest batches?

Ppl who don't get the noise, can u plz post your spec, and what batch is your board?

Also ppl who DO get the noise, can u plz post your spec, and what batch is your board?

thanks

Last edited:
I bought mine 3 monthes ago when they first came out and never had a coil whine problem. I am using a Thermaltake 1000 watt Modular PSU with it. Mine is revision 1.0, same as they are still selling. I believe the coil whine comes from what type of PSU is being used. I have really pushed my board and CPU and never had one issue. Money well spent, No regrets!!

I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago, Rev 1.0 with Antec Truepower Blue 750, No coil whining here. I'm having trouble getting my 920 to 4.0 GHz stable though!

Back