Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Thread

Great and annoying news. Just pulled my power supply out to make sure it wasn't that. It definately is the Seasonic x650 powersupply!!! I had already tested it with another power supply but that was also a Seasonic x750. This time I just pulled the power supply out of the case so I could hear the power supply seperate from the motherboard. I am really annoyed, but it happens. Hopefully seasonic are good with RMAs.

Thanks, I'm "easing" my way into the 8 different gigaprograms. I'm having a hard time w/ Dynamic Energy Saver though. It doesn't really seem to be doing anything. I can't click on Dual Power and some settings won't save. But I did a little tweaking in the BIOS and here's where I'm at.

4 pics: stock @ idle and load and oc @ idle and load
Cooling is done w/ a lapped TRUE (rev 2 mount) and an A1926 @ 1450RPM in a Stacker 810 w/ 3 SFLEX E's up front, 2 in the middle, and 2 AF12's in the rear. Loads were done w/ Linx/all. Ambient was around 26~27.

Either I put too much paste, the mount's funky (it doesn't seem to lay evenly on all sides), or my TRUE's broken. I do have a big dent in one of the heatpipes. No idea how it happened, but it looks like I went to town on it w/ a pair of thick pliers. :( I never removed an checked for contact cause I was too excited, heh. I suppose the CPU could be concave like an old P4 630 I had. Any ideas? Do temps on the board look in ok?

stockidle26cambient.jpg
stockload26cambient.jpg

38Ghzidle27cambient.jpg

38Ghzload27cambient.jpg

could someone please tell me what diagnostic program that is?

i'm having overheating issues i think...even at stock speeds. my problem is that after hours of usage something is heating up and is affecting the ambient temperature in the room. if i restart the computer after this time period the system will crash when i enter BIOS. it's very strange...i'll hear a noise that sounds like it's emanating from the GPU but i RMAed it at the beginning of the month and it's running fine, not overheating, and is completely stable. the CPU isn't overheating either as far as i can tell. i brought the pc into a neighbor and he noticed the northbridge was getting extremely hot so he reseated the heatsink and put a 40mm? fan on it. it's now warm to the touch even under load.

this is how i'm running right now after 1.5 hours of normal usage without any gaming:

2HU4S.jpg

i don't understand this because i've been running this setup OCed for almost 6 months without a hitch until recently. now it'll run stable with my overclock...it just gets finicky as soon as it goes into standby or resets. i've flashed the BIOS to the most recent version but it doesn't work too well so i reverted back to version F5. it's now running with "optimized defaults" from the BIOS but still won't restart after running for a few hours. i bought an APC 350w battery backup thinking maybe the voltage fluctuations in the house could be causing this problem, but the problem has persisted. (my neighbor told me maybe i should return it and get one with automatic voltage regulation?)

gigabyte x58-ud3r rev. 1
i7 920 @ 4ghz (200x20)
vcore-1.4v
qpi/vll-1.515v
corsair xms3 @ stock speeds/timing/voltages
noctua heatsink w/ 2 120mm fans
OCZ/pc power n cooling 750w psu

thanks guys

Use Everest or HWmonitor to find your northbridge temperature. But even if 51C is the NB that should be fine.

Question about a BSOD..... I don't get a reboot after I BSOD... I have it ticked to restart in the startup/recovery config.

Yes bsod are bad, but its when i'm stressing it overnight, so it sits on the blue screen till i reboot it.

Is there a bios setting i'm missing?

question about ssd's - i have a 64gb c300 and no matter which sata port im using im getting sata1 speeds / my wei is a 6.9 on the primary hard disk

the computer is plenty peppy with a ssd in there / but i know the c300 is a lot faster than what im getting from this mobo

any suggestions?

jam: Run it in RAID mode, especially if you use my modded BIOS with RAID 10.1, and make sure you use 10.0 (not 10.1, people are having issues with them) Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers.

You don't need to set up any RAID arrays to use RAID mode. You will need to run a utility called RAIDFix which forces the Intel RAID driver installation so that you can reboot, change to RAID mode and get to Windows to install the newer Intel drivers.

I'm going to mount a Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra 40mm fan on it. On top of the heatsink. Obviously going to remove the Gigabyte logo things.

Removed the North Bridge 'shield' which was held on by double-stick tape. Then installed a SUNON 40mm Fan with a zip-tie. Did this mod a couple months ago and the north-bridge is running great. Notice the difference when overclocking both the i7-930 and GTX-460.

c3Fyx.jpg

2hlwM.jpg

z0w3k.jpg

ok thinking to update my bios currently have F4 version of bios according to CPUz. I am thinking on buying 4TB HDD

Do I really need to update bios to support 4TB or current will do?

I already forgot how even update bios havent done that since 2010

ok thinking to update my bios currently have F4 version of bios according to CPUz. I am thinking on buying 4TB HDD

Do I really need to update bios to support 4TB or current will do?

I already forgot how even update bios havent done that since 2010

You need the later ones (F7L or newer) for 3TB+ support. And it's very easy to update the BIOS on any modern Gigabyte board. After you download the file, open it up with 7-Zip. Extract the BIOS file and place it onto a USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32. Restart the computer and press Delete (may be different with your board) to get into the BIOS. Load Optimized Defaults and save/restart. After that, press End on your keyboard which will take you to the @BIOS screen. Select the BIOS file on your USB drive and wait for it to flash. Restart and when you go back into the BIOS, load Optimized Defaults again. You may need to change some additional settings such as SATA and/or overclocking.

also trying to update drivers but really confused what to update.

is there a utility out there that will tell me what drivers on this mobo are outdated etc....?

question about ssd's - i have a 64gb c300 and no matter which sata port im using im getting sata1 speeds / my wei is a 6.9 on the primary hard disk

the computer is plenty peppy with a ssd in there / but i know the c300 is a lot faster than what im getting from this mobo

any suggestions?

How do you have your SATA ports configured in BIOS? Sounds like an IDE/Legacy configuration rather than a AHCI one.

You need the later ones (F7L or newer) for 3TB+ support. And it's very easy to update the BIOS on any modern Gigabyte board. After you download the file, open it up with 7-Zip. Extract the BIOS file and place it onto a USB flash drive that is formatted to FAT32. Restart the computer and press Delete (may be different with your board) to get into the BIOS. Load Optimized Defaults and save/restart. After that, press End on your keyboard which will take you to the @BIOS screen. Select the BIOS file on your USB drive and wait for it to flash. Restart and when you go back into the BIOS, load Optimized Defaults again. You may need to change some additional settings such as SATA and/or overclocking.

ok followed your direction but when flashing qflash says bios file is 2mb cannot flash?

what do I do?

Figured it out how to update bios Ihad to use @bios software to flash.

now I put everything to overclos my i7-920 to 4Ghz as prevsiouly with F4 bios flash
but with the new F7L bios version my previous setting wont work. will not allow to boot why is that?

my specs:

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3C1600C7
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2XXX 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
2x in CrossFire XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB XXX Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Corsair 850W PSU

Last edited:
Figured it out how to update bios Ihad to use @bios software to flash.

now I put everything to overclos my i7-920 to 4Ghz as prevsiouly with F4 bios flash
but with the new F7L bios version my previous setting wont work. will not allow to boot why is that?

my specs:

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3C1600C7
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M160G2XXX 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
2x in CrossFire XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB XXX Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Corsair 850W PSU

From what I know the latest bios F7L has a lots of changes done under bios.
You may need to re-over clock your system to try.

yes I did little by little last night.
started at 3.2Ghz to 3.8 with prime95 and linx programs
now sitting back at 4GHz doing some torcher testing will see how it holds

yes I did but it doesn't do anything I ended up gettting a Marvel 91xx driver from asus website

I have the Rev.1 and am currently using an SSD on sata2 for primary drive. I just ordered an M4 128GB for $130 and am wondering if the Marvel sata3 ports on this mobo has been improved in some way (drivers, etc) that if I use it (to replace my current SSD as my primary drive), it would be better than sata2. Anyone know? There is just way too much to read in this thread to really sift through....

I am using 4TB Hitachi drive on the SATA6 port which is 6Gb/s using marvel 91XX SATA 6G Contorller
version 1.2.0.1016. works fine so far for me.

I am using 4TB Hitachi drive on the SATA6 port which is 6Gb/s using marvel 91XX SATA 6G Contorller
version 1.2.0.1016. works fine so far for me.

Well that doesn't say much because that Hitachi drive wouldn't even saturate a Sata 3Gb/s port. I am looking for responses on using the Sata 6Gb/s vs Sata 3GB/s on the rev1 UD3R boards because I remember the Sata 6Gb/s ports sucked on this mobo due to the Marvel controller even in comparison to the intel Sata 3GB/s

My Hitachi plugged in into that white stata port on the motherboard stat #6 I also have rev 1 mobo.

HDD plugged in into Sata 6GB/s port using that marvel driver that I posted earlier. HItatchi 4TB rated as 6GB/s drive.

I have Intel x25m 160gb ssd pluged in to intel stat which is 3gb/s I really cannot see any difference.

Anyone else with any experience using the Marvel Sata 6Gb/s ports vs Intel Sata 3GB/s? Also looking for responses on using the Marvel Sata 6GB/s port as a primary boot drive with an M4 SSD or any other 500+MB/s SSDs.

Last edited:
I run an OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS drive connected to the Marvel controller. the drive is rated 550 read and 500 write. Benchmarks show 450 read and 410 write. Yes, I'm disappointed. My mobo is Rev. 2.

I run an OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS drive connected to the Marvel controller. the drive is rated 550 read and 500 write. Benchmarks show 450 read and 410 write. Yes, I'm disappointed. My mobo is Rev. 2.

Are you also booting from it?

--> Don't get disappointed, Marvell chipset 9128 is much slower performance than INTEL SATA3.
This is true not only on Gigabyte but also other brand as well. From what I know OCZ rated the SSD based on Intel sata3 as what they told me.

ok I just bought Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
does anybody know where to get Marvel drivers so I can use Port 6 which is SATA 6GB/s
or shoudl I just stick with Intel Sata3GB/s?

and what Marvel Driver do we have anyways is it 9128?

I cannot find a Marvel Driver anybody have any clues?

Thanks

ok I just bought Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
does anybody know where to get Marvel drivers so I can use Port 6 which is SATA 6GB/s
or shoudl I just stick with Intel Sata3GB/s?

and what Marvel Driver do we have anyways is it 9128?

I cannot find a Marvel Driver anybody have any clues?

Thanks

88SE9128 I recommend www.station-drivers.com. Make sure you're running a BIOS with Intel RST Option ROM (OROM) 9.6 or later for best performance (11.x or 12.x better still, and yes this board supports the very latest OROMs still). You can check mydigitallife.info to see if anyone's offering a BIOS for the board with a recent RST OROM.

I heart my x58a ud3r rev 2.

Great board, flawless for the 2 and a bit years that I have had it.

i was able to boot into windows 7, my sata ahci driver is corrupt
I had to change to IDE mod in the Bios and was able to boot. but when I swtich back to AHCI mode in the bios windows wont boot and it goes into the blue screen and restarts.

does anybody know how to change back to AHCI mode or how to install ahci sata drivers while windows already installed?

You should always use RAID mode with Windows and Intel RST, even if not actually creating arrays. For that, you can try RAIDFix.

are you running this mobo dandragonrage?

in order to run RAIDFix do I need to enable AHCI mod in Bios right after using RAIDFix? because right now its under IDE in the Bios.

Last edited:
so here is a wierd thing
I connected my ssd to marvel controller on teh SATA6 port and it was able to boot to windows in ahci mode but on the inter contoller I only have my plextor and samsung dvd/blue ray burners and they are not showing up and window7 does not recognize them. in device menager and have a yellow triangle with ! sign

so I was able to boot in AHCI mode through marvel SATA6 port

so how do I fix intel ports that worked previously?

are you running this mobo dandragonrage?

in order to run RAIDFix do I need to enable AHCI mod in Bios right after using RAIDFix? because right now its under IDE in the Bios.

No, but I used to have this motherboard. RAIDFix only works for RAID mode, not AHCI. Need to enable AHCI via registry if you want to switch to AHCI on a Windows installation that was done w/o AHCI.

Back